Getting into sim racing - Wheel or controller?

• Thread starter alhamton
  • 3 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
Lately, I've been wanting to get into sim racing, I don't have very much knowledge on cars or racing but I'm still interested in starting. Currently, the only gear I have is a H.O.T.A.S. So if I want to start playing with a controller, I'd need to buy a new controller, or if I wanted to start playing with a wheel, I'd need to buy a new wheel. And that's where I'm a bit stuck... I'm not sure if I should get a controller or a wheel to play. I've tried playing Assetto Corsa and Dirt3 on the Logitech G920 with the shifter and I really enjoyed it, haven't tried with a controller though. A few of my friends (that play on controller) are strongly advising that I don't start off with a wheel and should go with a controller instead. However, from what I've seen online, I've been getting mixed reviews on sim racing with a controller and have been seeing videos on Youtube suggesting I should start off with a wheel. Also, I've been wondering, do many people start sim racing with a wheel?
Any advice?

A console controller is fine for arcade racing titles. But for more serious simulations like Assetto Corsa, a wheel is the way forward. Depends on how serious you are going to be about sim titles really, it's an expensive investment if you don't use it. Dirt 3 is not an accurate simulator, and an Xbox type gamepad controller works well with that game.

I would agree with your friends, don't jump in and buy wheel right away. Stick with Dirt 3 and a controller and see if you catch the sim racing bug first.

Back