Getting into Sim Racing

• Thread starter reaper7534
  • 4 comments
United States
United States
Originally had a Logitech G923 then upgraded to a Fanatec DD Pro Gran Turismo edition. Life happened and it got shelved for at least a year . When I decided to set it back up again the new desk I had would not accommodate a clamp so I went down the rabbit hole and have a rig coming in. Here is what I have or currently on order

Fanatec DD Pro with Gran Turismo wheel 5nm ( will upgrade to 8nm )
McLaren GT3 wheel
WRS Rally wheel
CSL Elite Pedals with load cell
Fanatec shifter
Fanatec handbrake
RC Racing Cockpit Sport with NRG seat
Two Dayton bass shakers and soundcard

I already have a washer coming in for handbrake since I read it was common for for that plastic one to brake. I also have a friend 3D printing me some new elastomers for the load cell since the stock one is ungodly stiff.

I have 3 Asus 27" 165 hz G Sync monitors but will not use those at first. I'm going to try the Quest 2 to see if I like it. The whole rig will be run by a 5800x with a RTX 3080.

The biggest mistake I made and hope it doesn't bite me is buy all Fanatec. I didn't do the research and see how bad their customer service is. Hopefully I'll never need it.

Any other odds and ends I need to think about?

Fanatec support has gotten a lot better over the years. Look up any company and you'll see bad reviews; squeaky wheel and all. I have all Fanatec gear, and have for a decade now.

I always suggest doing VR, it is usually cheaper than 3x monitors and the immersion is 2nd to none. That is if you can return your monitors. GLHF out there!

Jerome

Fanatec support has gotten a lot better over the years. Look up any company and you'll see bad reviews; squeaky wheel and all. I have all Fanatec gear, and have for a decade now.

I always suggest doing VR, it is usually cheaper than 3x monitors and the immersion is 2nd to none. That is if you can return your monitors. GLHF out there!

Jerome
I've had the monitors for a while so no taking them back. I can always find other uses for them. Good to hear their CS has improved.

Here's my rig so far. Looks like the thousand other ones people have but I get a certain satisfaction going from a table clamp. Seat won't be here until Wednesday, a NRP 310 I believe. Also had to scavenge some new bolts to mount the shifter since the ones Fanatec includes were so short I don't feel comfortable it staying in place during racing. RC Racing Cockpits included the wrong L brackets for mounting the pedal plates and are overnighting me the correct parts. Their customer service has been stellar so far.

rig.jpg

Last edited:
Fanatec is OK, and you can use it in consoles, if you decide to do so. Don't regret

Just use your wheels with QR1, not the plastic QR Lite, because you might have some problems with it.

Last edited:
Back