Getting Started

Messages
265
United States
Lenoir, NC
Messages
SonicSupraRZ
So I've been reading the forums and a lot of questions occured to me. I'm just getting started on GT5 and I'm in need of advice for begginers. I haven't played a GT game since GT4 and thats been years ago. So.......what should I do? License tests obviously but should I push for all Golds? Also just getting started means assists in game. Should I leave them on for a while? Or do my best to train without them? Advice is needed and appreciated! :)
 
Go through the licenses, and the special events...

That will learn you the basics of GT5.

Also, the AMG Academy will learn you alot. 👍

I would start out with nothing but ABS set to 1. Might be hard in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. :)
 
Is the game a lot more....realistic with assists off? People tell me its the way to go, but I've never tried it.
 
Is the game a lot more....realistic with assists off? People tell me its the way to go, but I've never tried it.
Well, in my opinion its alot more enjoyable with the assists off.

And if you can handle higher powered cars (where you notice the biggest difference) without assists they will show you some of the good moments in GT5. :)

But of course you can put on like traction control 1-2 on LMP's and such if they're a bit tailhappy.
 
I'll try this out then. I'm all about training to my fullest to be the best I can be. So if learning without assists will make me better then that is how I will train. Do you suggest doing the license tests this way?
 
I'll try this out then. I'm all about training to my fullest to be the best I can be. So if learning without assists will make me better then that is how I will train. Do you suggest doing the license tests this way?
Yes, use as little assists as possible, but if you think using one or more of them is better for you, then by all means use them. ;)
 
I'll try without them. Thank you for the advice. I want my experience in this game to be a good and fun one. Any other advice for my GT Experience?
 
Yes, don't use overpowered cars in events like Sunday Cup...

Example, don't enter the Sunday Cup in a Mazda 787B or a Toyota Minolta (or similar cars) on racing softs...

Trying using similar cars like the AI, and try to avoid going over racing hards (meaning racing mediums and softs)...

You'll have much more fun competing for the places, not just see how many laps I can lap the AI cars. :)

Also a personal opinion... Stay away from the X2010/X2011, or just any X1 UFO's. They'll ruin your experience.
 
Advice taken. I've heard about those X1's. People I've talked to who play GT5 say their annoying as hell when given to stupid irresponsible people. They annoy the people online I've heard
 
Remember that you can check the replays of races to see what tires the AI are running, since it doesn't tell you beforehand. This can save you some frustration, and also explain why you might have blown them away worse than you expected. They always seem to stay on the same type of tire throughout an entire set of races - meaning for example if the first race of "clubman cup" they are on comfort softs, then they will be for all the races in clubman cup. Tires are one of your most effective means of controlling the game's difficulty, so don't be afraid to change them up or down as needed.

I'd recommend against going straight to racing soft tires on every car, as it can be a tough habit to break. Try not to think of different tires as "better" or "crappier" than others because they really aren't, they're just different. Sports and Comfort tires have less grip than racing tires but tend to allow more sliding before completely losing control.
 
Back