• Yes

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Only for lapped cars

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
Germany
Germany
Anyone has problem with this?
Sometimes games turns your car into ghost, and sometimes it doesn't.
Especially in first turns; when 2 guys are in front of you and collide. Sometimes both turn into ghosts, and sometimes they don't.
My idea is; either turn them in ghost all, or don't at all.
It's stupid, to me .. when they are going back on track it they collide, that luck decided if you push them or go through them.
Anyone with similar observation / problem?
Is only to me this very very annoying?

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get screwed. The ghosting system is blind, inconsistent and unpredictable. The problems start when the driver rejoining the track assumes that he is ghosted and when another driver assumes he can drive through a ghost or car spinning out. Stay away from ghosts unless no other choice.

The unfair part is that someone who had a lot of contacts or drives erratically gets the collision detection disabled and can drive through you without appearing ghosted. Sure, it's better than getting bumped off, yet a car draft overtaking through you, essentially blinding you in bumper cam isn't all that much better. Plus it looks ridiculous when a group of cars are all hot lapping through each other.

Yes, I had the same problem last night. I was racing the Daily Race B at Maggiore and a competitor and I ran into each other by accident. We both got a penalty and both decided to pull over to serve it. However, he was able to ghost and I did not for some reason, and the other competitor almost ran into me. There does need to be consistency with this, but hopefully with this new maintenance ,they tweak the penalty system and can look into the ghosting issue. One step at a time for now.

I had this issue at the dipper on Bathurst the other night. A car spins two positions ahead of me, the guy following him ghosts through him and I try the same (less than 0.3sec behind the guy and there was nowhere else to go anyways, but I end up colliding and taking a 10sec penalty. Try to explain that PD :confused:

This thread has me wondering: for those that run their own lobbies, what do you have set as your ghosting option? Do you leave it on or off?

Last edited:
Anyone has problem with this?

I have a problem with the whole concept of cars ghosting. I've watched a lot of motorsport over the years & not once have I seen cars turn invisible then driving through one another! It has no place in anything claiming to be a "simulator" imho.

EDIT: I'm not going to vote no in the poll because it should be optional for those who want it.

Last edited:
I have written a lot about this terrible ghosting. I am glad to see we all seem to agree.

@VelvetGlove: Can you maybe add a poll so that we can show the percentages of the people that dont want ghosting ?

I would suggest the following options: yes, no, or “only ghosting when lapped”. Of course with the lobby option to completely shut it of for endurance races when being lapped is not an issue.

Terrible unrealistic peace of garbage. I have no nicer words for the ghosting system. Makes only sense in arcade games. Disrespect towards any FIA elements in the game.

Really hate it with every bone in my body.

Few weeks ago I had one really really strange experience with ghosting.

We were driving Lago Maggiore, Gr.3 was the class .. I had blue BMW M6. And I started around 10th place .. 9th - 12th, around that. And after that auto drive, or part where game controlls your car ... we were just starting on manual after count-down. One guy didn't play or he went on grass .. he was around 4th - 5th ... and huge crash happend on right side of track ... and 2 cars went throught the 4th place guy, one collided, one was trying to avoid and he spin out and went to left side of track, side by pit lane .... I did saw what happened, I avoid being in colon train in start ... so I went as left as I could, and I did avoid that guy who went on grass to avoid guy who started it. .... And some how ... I was 4th, after that countdown ... before 1st turn ....

That was really really strange ghosting experience. Half of the guy did became ghosts, half didn't, .. when I reached 1st turn, I didn't look backwards to see what happend behind me.

This thread has me wondering: for those that run their own lobbies, what do you have set as your ghosting option? Do you leave it on or off?

I haven't run any lobbies in GT Sport yet, but did in GT5/6; I always had penalties & ghosting OFF. I have over 400 replays on GT5, & over 100 on GT6; most of the races were very clean, & we had no need for it.

In my recent FIA race on Brands Hatch, there was a moron in P2 who had a penalty and tried to burn it off by slowing down in the middle of Clearways straight, with P3 and others about 4 seconds back. He was ghosted right until the pack caught up with him. He suddenly went solid and someone rammed into him, causing the unfortunate driver who hit him to ram into the guardrail, bounce back and into me. The poor bastard got flung off into the sand while the ex-ghost drove off with no penalty and no regard for what he just caused.

The ghosting system often causes uncertainty and sometimes, like in this case, bad information about the state of the track ahead. It's immensely flawed, and even if they fix these problems I'm not sure it's worth keeping. I've suggested before that we at least need some sort of indicator (countdown numbers, flashing a la pac-man, etc) to let us know when a ghost is about to turn into an obstacle on the track. But I've come to feel that it's just not worth keeping the ghosts at all.

I've suggested before that we at least need some sort of indicator (countdown numbers, flashing a la pac-man, etc) to let us know when a ghost is about to turn into an obstacle on the track.
👍
I just wanted to suggest similar idea right now, you beat me to it.
Progressive flashing from ghost to solid with fixed duration that happens only when you are on track and facing the right direction.
7 secs should be appropriate.
Its not nuclear science to implement and It would work!

I have all Ghosting turned off in my 1.5hr endurance races. I had only lap traffic ghosted before the blue flags were implemented but that was a problem too.
If you were about to be lapped and you still was racing another person for position then that person could just drive through you too.

But with all Ghosting turned off it is still Ghosting people with penalties or when people crash which defeats the purpose of having ghosting off to begin with.

I just want it off completely when I have it set that way in the settings.

The best rule to follow is to never try to pass through a ghosted car. Always try to avoid them. Ghosting exists to help in situations where you absolutely CANNOT avoid the other car.

If you always avoid ghosted cars it becomes much easier to not hit them.

The so acclaimed title that has always been tagged as a "Real Simulator" must follow it, in my opinion. There's no ghost cars in real life, period.
I always create my Lobby rooms with ghosting to None but that does never happen. At least they should give us this, that when we want it we could have it but when we don't want it we should have this working as it suggests…
Now, I voted in the head of this thread. Will it be a petition or a user feedback to Polyphony or is it just for the GTPlanet forum?

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get screwed. The ghosting system is blind, inconsistent and unpredictable. The problems start when the driver rejoining the track assumes that he is ghosted and when another driver assumes he can drive through a ghost or car spinning out. Stay away from ghosts unless no other choice.

The unfair part is that someone who had a lot of contacts or drives erratically gets the collision detection disabled and can drive through you without appearing ghosted. Sure, it's better than getting bumped off, yet a car draft overtaking through you, essentially blinding you in bumper cam isn't all that much better. Plus it looks ridiculous when a group of cars are all hot lapping through each other.

What frustrates me is that if me, or someone else makes an error and (if it's me in the example) if I get a bad exit and run a bit wide, I can get ghosted and then someone with a better exit can just drive through me, so I can't defend or do any actual racing...

What frustrates me is that if me, or someone else makes an error and (if it's me in the example) if I get a bad exit and run a bit wide, I can get ghosted and then someone with a better exit can just drive through me, so I can't defend or do any actual racing...

Yeah it's weird that cars get ghosted now when they only go a little wide avoiding the car in front of them. The first half lap of St Croix is a confusing mess with sometimes half the field ghosted and running through each other. I usually drive watching all the entertainment before starting to over take.

Plus PD had the brilliant idea to ghost people coming from the pit on St Croix. I had an idiot drive into me at top speed while I stayed on the side coming out of the pit. I guess he expected me to stay ghosted a millisecond longer, race ruined. It's bad design anyway, pit exit on the racing line.

Yeah it's weird that cars get ghosted now when they only go a little wide avoiding the car in front of them. The first half lap of St Croix is a confusing mess with sometimes half the field ghosted and running through each other. I usually drive watching all the entertainment before starting to over take.

Plus PD had the brilliant idea to ghost people coming from the pit on St Croix. I had an idiot drive into me at top speed while I stayed on the side coming out of the pit. I guess he expected me to stay ghosted a millisecond longer, race ruined. It's bad design anyway, pit exit on the racing line.
It is odd to me that ghosting exists in ‘SR-S’... isn’t that supposed to be made up of the safest and cleanest drivers??
It’s just kind of ****, real professional drivers make errors and mistakes and crashes and catch other people out and they can MAKE a race, but GTS makes it so artificial and sanitary... what’s the point in having such a granular safety rating system if you can’t even trust the ‘S-Ranked’ players to keep it clean?

I know ghosting is necessary so not everyone is ruined in race, but TBH with you, I don't like it at all... if people you drive with are good and clean drivers then you should not use ghosting at all... but as we know, it is not the case at all in 99% of the time, so as I said, it is necessary to be present. And again, as any other system controlled by AI, it is far from perfect. I just wish it would be a bit more intuitive... so if even someone has higher ping, or any kind of lag, he'd be ghosted...
Together with many other things this also have to improve... we'll see how PD will improve, if all, this system... at least they gave us lapped cars ghosting, which was pain before...

It is odd to me that ghosting exists in ‘SR-S’... isn’t that supposed to be made up of the safest and cleanest drivers??
It’s just kind of ****, real professional drivers make errors and mistakes and crashes and catch other people out and they can MAKE a race, but GTS makes it so artificial and sanitary... what’s the point in having such a granular safety rating system if you can’t even trust the ‘S-Ranked’ players to keep it clean?

S ranked players aren't real professional drivers. Additionally, gt sport isn't real life either, right? I mean I'm a reasonably good driver in racing games, but I don't have a driver's license in real life and these types of videogames are still just games to me. So the way I play gt sport can't really be compared with any kind of serious driving. I don't think you should hold high rank players up to such a serious standard, all it actually means is they're good at this particular game

S ranked players aren't real professional drivers. Additionally, gt sport isn't real life either, right? I mean I'm a reasonably good driver in racing games, but I don't have a driver's license in real life and these types of videogames are still just games to me. So the way I play gt sport can't really be compared with any kind of serious driving. I don't think you should hold high rank players up to such a serious standard, all it actually means is they're good at this particular game
I appreciate that, but this is supposed to be a ‘racing sim’. So we are all pretending to be pro or semi pro drivers (because unless your a millionaire you ain’t getting a random go in an LMP1 or F1 car), so it seems reasonable to consider S rank drivers safe, otherwise you may as well just have ‘safe’ and ‘unsafe’...

I think it’s also worth pointing out that the top ranked DR guys, are the chaps winning GT Academy’s and literally becoming professional racing drivers

Ranking is flawed a lot, I mean I can drop from S to D in a day, and next day I can get S back... And besides driving on track, and driving on road are two different driving experiences. There are rules here and there, but racing is a lot harder then driving on road... Then again, in game you don't have to worry about your life at all, where on racetrack it is in question.
Big problem that I see is implementing AI that can monitor rules, we can see this in work by penalty bot that is making more of a headache then it is useful, but again, it does calm down a bit carnage...

Back