Ginetta G4 question

• Thread starter Morrac32
  • 15 comments
I was goofing around the in Light Weight K Cup in the Beginner's Hall with the Ginetta G4 and I think I might have messed up. I went ahead and got the Stage 2 turbo kit so that my Ginetta is now pumping out 226hp on a 426kg(? not sure on weight) car. Is there anyway, tuning-wise, to make this car handle what so ever or do I just need to improve my driving skills?

I am thinking the rear-end might be too light for so much power and have gotten some nice drifts out of it, all-be-it not on purpose and barely controlled.

Any advice or ideas? I would like to keep the power and weight the same, just make it controllable.

Thanks.

Well, I have a G4 maxed out as well and it has been a fun hobby car. It can certainly be tamed, but to say specifically what is wrong with your set up I can't say without seeing it. The usual problem with lightweight cars is braking, which seems odd but it is a very real problem if they have the horsepower to really make it worse.

Some things that might help if you don't have them already:
1-Way Limited Slip or a Fully Customizable Limited Slip
Weight Balance

Other Corrective Actions:
Increase your TCS.
Keep Camber below 4.0 on Rear.
Check your TOE on the Rear it should be 0 but one can do other variations.
The most drastic thing ever, put a wing on it if possible. (I've only done this to one car that didn't have one already and thats because it has over 1000 Hp and really needed it, oh and that darn Opel one make race.

If you want more help post your setup and I or others will help you hammer out the problem. 👍

Unfortuantely, I am not at home and cannot post the set up for right now but I will definitely do that when I get home. As for the adding a wing option, its says that for this model car it is not available.

Also, how much different does the rollcage add for this car? I have not bought it yet, and still being fairly new to this game, was wondering how much it really effected handling.

Ok I am home and have the settings now:

Equiped:
Racing Exhaust
Port Polish
Racing Chip
Tires (S2)
Stage 2 Turbo
Racing Brakes
Brake Controller
Racing Suspension
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
Stage 2 Weight Reduction

Settings:
Brake Balance: 2 / 2

Spring Rate: 12.0 / 11.7
Ride Height: 79 / 79
Shock (Bound): 6 / 6
Shock (Rebound): 10 / 10
Camber: 4.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: 0 / 0
Stablizers: 2 / 2

Auto: 7
1st: 2.784
2nd: 1.867
3rd: 1.348
4th: 1.029
5th: 0.829
Final: 3.920

Ballest Weight: 0
Front/Rear Balance: 0

226HP / 420 something KG

Please let me know what I need to change and if you have any advice for me.

Thanks.

The biggest problem I see is that your using Medium Sports tires S2 for one, if your doing heavy manuevering and going fast, Softs are almost a must. The other is you don't even have a LSD at all, I don't know how you feel about the Driving Aids of ASM and TCS but it is going to be difficult to drive with that much power and being so light with all that traction loss.

I also would say your brakes are very very light with and unbalanced with the brake controller, but if your stopping that way more power to you.

Try this set up on another tab in the settings lab to compare with yours.

Brake Controller:
Brake Balance: 8 / 7

Racing Suspention:
Spring Rate: 9.8 / 8.8
Ride Height: 79 / 90
Shock (Bound): 5 / 5
Shock (Rebound): 10 / 10
Camber: 3.0 / 1.0
Toe Angle: 0 / 0
Stablizers: 7 / 6

LSD:
Rear
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 55
Deceleration: 35

Driving Aids:
ASM Oversteer: 10
ASM Understeer: 10
TCS: 6

Weight Ballast:
Ballest Weight: 28
Front/Rear Balance: -50

P.S. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but I like this set at the moment. I'm always tinkering so they evolve or devolve into their current state. :)

Last edited:
The fact that you have your springs so high on one of the lightest cars in the game isn't helping. The car probably takes bumps about as well as a go kart with springs that stiff. Rebound is also kind of high, as are stabilizers. Stiffer isn't necessarily better.

Your suspension is WAY too solid for a car that light running sports tires.

How is it going with the G4? It is one of my favorite little cars as the several I have in my garage can attest. From max builds to minimum to stock there is a G4 for all seasons. The best part is when you can beat cars much more powerful then you. :lol:

I am doing really well with the setup that you provided. Thank you very much for that. The only problem I have is that it still seems to have a lot of understeer to it. Unless I brake really early I am going off the track. This gets me caught up or passed in the corners but with this set up I can easily pass them back out of the corner.

Let me know if you have any advice on this.

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't know if its understeer or antipating the corner to much and turning to soon. It does turn pretty well. It would be nice to try this with a steering wheel and find out. If you are curious and want to fiddle with it, two things affect the steering and thats the rake to the suspension and the LSD. If you raise the ride height of the rear you reduce the steering and increase braking. The LSD you can either play with the settings or adjust the intial torque up from 10. Something else, you could increase the camber to 3.5/1.5 without doing anything else, that will affect it too.

P.S. The car my setup is from has every whistle and bell possible, and weights 441 kg.

Ok, I couldn't leave sleeping dogs lie, I fiddled with it. Try the following and see what you think.

Racing Suspention:
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 8.0
Ride Height: 79 / 93

LSD:
Rear
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 60
Deceleration: 40

Weight Ballast:
Ballest Weight: 10
Front/Rear Balance: +46

P.S. If you have racing tires R2 or so go to the Tuners Race in the Professional hall, its a tough competition, but it will compete.

Last edited:
I have moved to the British Lightweight Series and have matched your setup (well the first one) and have everything I can get for the car. I think the problem might be my driving but for some reason Autumn Ring seems to give me more problems then the other tracks I have raced. Probably just need more practice but I will try your last changes and see what happens. Will keep you posted. 👍

Well the point was I wanted to tame the Ginetta but I have since moved on to another series and another car.

BH-21: I thank you for your advice. It helped me immensely and got the Ginetta under control....only my driving was lacking....

Last edited:
Your welcome! I profitted by it as well as I tinkered with the G4 some more and it now tackles 500 hp cars regularly on any track. Its nice to revisit cars and refine them even further.

P.S. I want to thank Hot_Shoe, I tried it, it worked.

Well, I decided to take the Ginetta to the 1000 Miles! race and I am somewhat regretting it. This has shown me that the problem with the Ginetta's setup was not the setup, it was my driving. The first race at the Ring is what made me come to this realization.

First of all, I am not that used to the Ring and that could be most of my problem but I was posting 9 minute times and then decided to let Bob take over and he promptly started killing my times by almost a minute. He seems to be able to keep the car on the track where I find it almost impossible.

Anyway, I will post my Ring setup on here when I get home from work and maybe some of you can help me out with it and hopefully my driving skill can improve enough to actually make use of it. :nervous:

Setting up the G4 for Nurburgring can be some of the most frustrating tuning and testing one can experience in GT4. There are definetly easier alternatives to take to that track. The B-Spec driver may be able to handle certain bits well enough, but he will lose it on some key corners when you least want or need it.

Back