Giving my guitar more punch, what am I looking for?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bram Turismo
  • 14 comments
  • 4,044 views

Bram Turismo

Go Flying Lizards!
Premium
Messages
10,902
Belgium
Belgium
Messages
bramturismo
So I'm about to buy some stuff for my guitar, but I don't really know what I'm looking for...

It is in Norwegian, but most of you recognize these parts:

http://www.gitarhuset.no/Default.aspx?PGID=5


What I'm looking for is something under the 1,000 kroner limit. I've always been playing with my guitar plugged in straight into the amp, but what I now want is to make it sound rockier, I want to be able to show more stuff. Acoustic gets boring after a while (though played by electric guitar), and gigging without effects is what's getting me down lately. I'm looking for something that'll give my guitar the ability to come with rock sound, the typical rock sound you hear in rock songs, or maybe even some metal-like sound...

Got new strings, got my capo, all I now need is something to give me my last Feeder touch, the rock sound. I don't want to replicate him, then I'll have to buy pedals and everything, I just want to buy something not too expensive, which lets me impress some mates...
 
You want a 'multi-effects guitar processor' that features the following sound effects:

Reverb
Delay
Chorus
Pitch Shifting (Harmonizer)
EQ

These are the five most important effects for acoustic guitar. You can find a good unit for around $400. Though, cheap ones exist for around $100.

Look at Zoom and Digitech for cheap units. Remember, the cheaper you go, the worse the sound and tone. Spend what you can. Next, look at Line6 and Boss multi-effects processors.

If you go to www.musiciansfriend.com you can download and listen to sound clips of the units you're looking at.

Good luck.


EDIT:

Take a listen to these two.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151065


http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME20-Multieffect-Guitar-Pedal?sku=152268
 
Thanks for those links Solid :cheers:


Problem is, my dad has an effect board with pedal and all that, but that's far too complicated for me...I just want something simple to plug in, and with a single turn on the knob that makes my guitar go from acoustic -> rock/metal, if this is possible?
 
Ummm.... How many rock hero's get they're tone from an acoustic instrument? I would assume that feedback would be your worst enemy when trying to achieve the gain necessary to get that hard rockin' punchy sound. This is where an electric guitar shines.

The right tool for the right job, but effects and amp modelers can help for sure!

If your looking for a single knob, take a look at Dr.Z amps.
 
Try something like the Behringer X V-Amp Amplifier Modelling Pedal.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00393

British site there, but as you can see if you convert it it's about $100, not sure what that is in kroner.

Has a clean channel, then 99 effects that you can easily flick through, you can edit each one to how you want it, it's a great bit of kit and I had one myself, simple to set up and use.
 
Hmmmm.... More Punch.... How about a boxing glove!! lol

Sorry I couldn't resist.
 
If you are just playing thru a an acoustic or acoustic electric, you will need something to cover the sound hole. If you want to get really loud you may need to stuff the body with t-shirts or something that will let the sound ring but deaden it enough to kill feedback. (don't remember where I read that).

IF you happen to have some sort of solid body around, any distortion pedal will give you the sound you seek, but I would stick with an Ibanez Tube Screamer, or one of the Boss pedals. Both are simple "hit the pedal to make it go and stop" affairs. You will need to tweak the knobs to get the sound you seek, then you're off...
 
I think I might have written something wrong in the first post, my guitar is an electric, I just play it acoustic, you know, just in the amp, without any effects...

Sorry for the confusement, but thanks for the helpfull posts :cheers:


*EDIT*

Basically, it's one of these things I'm looking at:

DS-1_1_11_2007_12_18_35_836.jpg.jpg



However, there are so many of them, I don't know what to even consider buying, there's distortion, super chorus, delay, overdrive, all those different things, but I don't know much about electronics so...


And to end this post: Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.gitarhuset.no/ProductPage.aspx?PID=1111





2:00-2:40, that's the kind of sound I'm looking for I guess, as a total electronics noob, is that distortion or what is it? Overdrive?

:confused: Anyway, thanks for all the usefull posts so far 👍
 
Most guitarists refer to is as playing 'clean', not acoustic. Hence the confusion.

Anyway, what you want is a distortion or overdrive stompbox. They're pretty much exactly the same, overdrive is just a more mild form of distortion. A lot of people use the Boss DS-1 which you've posted a photo of, however I own one and think it's a complete heap of crap. I'd probably go with the Marshall Guvnor if I had to go with anything from that website.
 
Ahhhh, it's a 'overdrive-distortion' box you want.

OK. There are so many different types of distortion pedals, it's impossible to tell you which one to get. Click on this llnk, http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--overdrive---distortion-pedals--m-2_1130_584.html and click on each pedal. Then, download the sound (MP3) clips available and listen to them each. That way, you can decide which one you like best.

Searching for the right distortion pedal will take the rest of your life. There's always something new and better coming along.

You should look for 'fuzz' boxes, too. You might like the fuzz tone better than 'overdrive-distortion.'

You might want to to look at 'amp modeler' pedals, like this one... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-RP150-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=156606

Again, go to these websites, and just start looking at every pedal they sell for 'overdrive, distortion, fuzz and amp modeler' and then click on the sound clips. It's the only way you're going to find what you like.

Oh, and the YT clip you provided, the guy playing the guitar has a heavy distortion pedal with a fast, multiple repeat delay pedal.

Here's a clip I made almost one year ago. http://la.gg/v/PCM70Chorus-ToneboneHB.mp3/ It's a TONEBONE Hot British Distortion pedal, with a touch of chorus effect. No reverb, no delay, nada. It's pretty 'plane Jane' as far as guitar effects go.
 
Thanks for pointing out the term Shannon :cheers:


Awesome links Solid :bowdown: Invisible +Rep! 👍
 
... or an amp with a gain channel, like a Marshall of some sorts. You could probably find that for the same price or cheaper than lots of available effects pedals.
 
Thanks but I've made up my mind 👍

It's going to be the DS-2 Turbo pedal, enough for me to begin with 👍. However, I tried out a BOSS GT-6 and it's absolutely fantastic, I may go for that later on or even make my own setup with different pedals :cheers:
 
Thanks but I've made up my mind 👍

It's going to be the DS-2 Turbo pedal, enough for me to begin with 👍. However, I tried out a BOSS GT-6 and it's absolutely fantastic, I may go for that later on or even make my own setup with different pedals :cheers:

If it's a money thing, go with the cheaper pedal now, and upgrade when you have a few bucks later.
Otherwise, get a pedal that you can "grow into" now.

The best advice I have to give to any one that takes up an instrument is to obtain the best quality intrument you can from the beginning.
It will give you plenty of room to grow and will inspire your playing.
The same goes for accessories.
That thin strap may look cool, but the thick strap with the fancy conchos etc, will bear the weight of the guitar better and spread it more evenly over your shoulder (especially appreciated by bass players and guys who just have to play Les Pauls).
 
no you can get a light one that has multiple distortions on it and it doesn't sound that bad. my two friends from my guitar class both have to seperate ones, the younger one has this one that his dad owns and it has something like 64 different sets of distortion and you can have some drums playing a beat on it. the older has this 1960's looking on that is like a brick and all it really does is add echo and remove the sound of your fingers sliding.
 
Back