Go Karts in Gran Turismo

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Does anyone else find the go kart races in Gran Turismo really irritating and unwelcome?

I get that karting is a part of motorsport and a lot of professional racing drivers got their start there as children or whatever - but still - I can go karting anytime in real life, it’s inexpensive and easily accessible. It’s not something I need a simulation of. I play Gran Turismo for the chance to race high end sports cars or obscure concept cars, etc. something that isn’t cheap or accessible in real life. You know? Having to race go karts in game is such a bore, and a total drag, i really hate it. Who’s with me?

No, that many GT players are in for relatively "normal" cars. That's why i cited that part of your text.

Last edited:
Oh well sure, I like the early game stuff as much as the next man. But we don’t go through the effort of getting the IA and S licenses just to carry on spinning MX-5’s round the autumn ring mini. Surely!

Oh well sure, I like the early game stuff as much as the next man. But we don’t go through the effort of getting the IA and S licenses just to carry on spinning MX-5’s round the autumn ring mini. Surely!
No, but the idea behind the play style of GT is generally to buy your own car, upgrade it and use it to take on higher and higher level races. Sport kind of ruined that premise, what with being much more heavily focused on pre-built competition vehicles, but now in 7 you can actually "beat the game" so to speak with nothing but road cars.

Yeah but they still have to be reasonably high end road cars. You can only go so far with a fully upgraded Seat Ibiza.

Anyway, I was on about go karts and how much they suck!

Does anyone else find the go kart races in Gran Turismo really irritating and unwelcome?

I get that karting is a part of motorsport and a lot of professional racing drivers got their start there as children or whatever - but still - I can go karting anytime in real life, it’s inexpensive and easily accessible. It’s not something I need a simulation of. I play Gran Turismo for the chance to race high end sports cars or obscure concept cars, etc. something that isn’t cheap or accessible in real life. You know? Having to race go karts in game is such a bore, and a total drag, i really hate it. Who’s with me?
With the kart stuff, I have a little parallel to my own paltry experience. I will never ever drive a multiton vehicle on the limit or even on a track.

I get that karting is a part of motorsport and a lot of professional racing drivers got their start there as children or whatever - but still - I can go karting anytime in real life, it’s inexpensive and easily accessible.
If you mean the ones you can find sometimes on malls or the ones that have indoors track, yeah they are cheap.
The cost to buy a new chassis for adults, depending on brand, is between $4500-$6500 and that's ONLY the chassis, then you have to buy everything else(sprockets, chains, etc) after that you have to buy an engine, either a Rotax or X30, also depends what they race in your area, the former is $4500-$4700 and the latter is $3600-$3700. Obviously you can buy second hand all what I mentioned but then you have to check the state of the chassis and engine.
Additionally, you have to count gas, oil for mix and maybe a team that can attend you, though you can do it yourself if you have some basic knowledge

Last edited:
If you mean the ones you can find sometimes on malls or the ones that have indoors track, yeah they are cheap.
The cost to buy a new chassis for adults, depending on brand, is between $4500-$6500 and that's ONLY the chassis, then you have to buy everything else(sprockets, chains, etc) after that you have to buy an engine, either a Rotax or X30, also depends what they race in your area, the former is $4500-$4700 and the latter is $3600-$3700. Obviously you can buy second hand all what I mentioned but then you have to check the state of the chassis and engine.
Additionally, you have to count gas, oil for mix and maybe a team that can attend you, though you can do it yourself if you have some basic knowledge
I’ve been go karting at least 10 times in my life and have never needed to provide my own kart.

But even so, compared to racing actual cars, those cost figures you mentioned are peanuts.

Last edited:
I’ve been go karting at least 10 times in my life and have never needed to provide my own kart.

But even so, compared to racing actual cars, those cost figures you mentioned are peanuts.
Karting is relative cheap compared to racing cars, but for the average person is still expensive unless they have a good paying job.
Like for the OK Championship, which you could say is the professional league, most drivers expend $30k to more.
Even sometimes racing cars is "cheaper" like the Mazda Cup where at least you can regain some of your investment, though that's a particularly case

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back