going back to a pad after a wheel..almost impossible

England
southport
Has anybody else had this, ive been playing car games with pads forever really, until project cars came out and i got a wheel, pedals stand , seat etc....Been using that for ages now, love it, man when ive tried to play with a pad again, its almost impossible now, i dont know how i used to do it, the car is zig zagging all over the place etc...:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

It depends entirely on the game for me, I played GT6 exclusively with my G27 for ages but found it quite easy to play with a pad, then I tried going from wheel to pad in Euro Truck Sim 2 and found it pretty much unplayable because the bulk of the fun comes from the immersive controls. Same goes for most PC racing sims because they're just not optimised for pads, but they're usually just about playable. I struggled with Assetto Corsa but a friend showed me how he set his pad up and I found it to be a pretty good compromise, it did mean I didn't have the full range of rotation though.

But in any case, whatever controller you use requires the player to develop muscle memory for it. I used to be good at first person shooters using a pad, then I swapped to PC, died a lot because I wasn't used to using a mouse... Now I can't use a pad, not even on a console against other pad users.

I'm the same as most of you guys, I can play arcade games pretty fine with a pad, though it does take a bit to really get used to, to get up to speed, but trying to play a sim is damn near impossible for me with a pad.

More to the point though, even in any semi-realistic game I'm very slow with a pad compared to a wheel. Best example would be F1 2016. When that first came out, was right after Sony dropped legacy wheel support, meaning my CSR would not work in any future games. I had been looking forward to F1 2016 for a while, so I bought it anyway, but was devastated about not being able to use my wheel. I eventually built a GIMX device to get my wheel working for that and AC, but in the time between me getting F1 and building the GIMX, I played F1 with a pad (didn't even bother trying AC as I knew it'd take all the fun out of it, playing it with a pad).

I was slow and incredibly inconsistent in F1 with the pad, needing to be on expert difficulty, and regularly using flashbacks because I'd make lots of mistakes. As soon as I got GIMX up and running, I was immediately fast and consistent on F1. I jumped right back up to legend AI, and no longer had to abuse the flashback system. It was glorious being back on the wheel again, and I hope I'm never in that situation again, where I'm forced to play on a pad.

Even Driveclub isn't half as fun to play on a pad as it is on a wheel, and that's an arcade game that's well optimised for a pad.

Last edited:
Has anybody else had this, ive been playing car games with pads forever really, until project cars came out and i got a wheel, pedals stand , seat etc....Been using that for ages now, love it, man when ive tried to play with a pad again, its almost impossible now, i dont know how i used to do it, the car is zig zagging all over the place etc...:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Same experience with me. My G29 wheel went on the bum about a month ago and when I went back to trying the DS controller it was no fun anymore so much so I didn't even want to continue playing PCars or even GT6. Was just too frustrating. Finally got back a wheel about a week ago so I'm back playing now.

Back