going from 1st to 2nd usually results in ending up in Neutral with my g27

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 8 comments
Okay I'm not sure if my g27 is defective but i just got this thing, and I notice that in certain cars that when i shift from 1st to 2nd that I end up always ending up in N instead of 2nd gear. I am fulling depressing the clutch so I'm not sure why its not registering 2nd gear. It doesn't happen all the time. But enough to get me frustrated. I'm not sure if its because of the car's gear ratio are so short that I have to shift a lot faster or what. But when I repeat the process and do it in slow motion, it works. It only happens when i'm trying to shift quickly from 1st to 2nd that it ends up in Neutral. I seriously don't think there's anything wrong with my G27. Or at least I hope not.

I had this problem at first. I don't think there is a problem with the wheel, but sometimes it doesn't get in gear if you do it too fast. Try changing gear a bit slower and the more you get used to it the faster you will be able to do it. :)

CCX, thanks glad to know i'm not the only one with this problem. Okay it seems to depend on the car and gear ratio. Cars with extremely short gear ratios tends to be more difficult to go from 1st to 2nd cause it happens so quickly.

Unfortunately a lot of people on here don't know how to use the clutch on a G25/G27 because it is banned for most events one here (yes I know its more realistic and harder to drive with, and has been a part of Prologue since day 1, but it gives an advantage, similar how using a using a wheel gives an advantage over someone with a controller- that all has to be taken up with the management...)
I have been using it for over 2 years with Prologue and what I have found is, the more the RPMs have to change for the gear change you are attempting, the more time you need the clutch in and gas off. Since the 1-2 shift usually has the biggest change in RPM's, it needs more time to prevent getting neutral. That's why it works for you when you do it very slowly.
As an example if you tried to go from 1st to 3rd, you would find you really need to have the clutch in a long time to prevent neutral as that would require an even large RPM drop. Also, this implies that for cars where the RPM's drop fast, they can be shifted faster and you will less likely to get neutral. Again this is all based on my experience.
After some time you will probably get used to doing the 1-2 shift slower, it just takes a bit of practice.
Also, as you may have found, if the wheels are spinning when you try to shift, you will need to do a slower shift to prevent neutral. This is very unrealistic, and more of a bug in my view. In a real car the wheels simply will stop spinning the instant the clutch is depressed or you go to full lift, but not in so in GT.

z06fun, one car that is having the 1-2/N issue is the Amuse Honda S2000 GT1 Turbo. But what you said makes sense. I'll have to learn how to shift slower when going from 1st to 2nd in order to avoid hitting neutral.

I seem to miss 3rd gear a lot and was thinking it was my wheel. Very frustrating when running TT's and beating your current set lap time only to miss a gear :indiff:

This used to happen to me too. What you should do is unpress gas,clutch in, shift, unpress clutch, and gas. When you do this real fast, its easy to get miss a step. Im sure you know how to shift in a proper car, but in GT5p, they added a clutch in at the last moment so the realism of it is not very good. If you don't unpress the gas, then it wont shift either. Not letting go of the gas is probably the most common reason your not shifting properly, I think you need to let go fully, unlike a real car.

I seem to miss 3rd gear a lot and was thinking it was my wheel. Very frustrating when running TT's and beating your current set lap time only to miss a gear :indiff:

Definitely know that feeling of missing a shift at a very very bad time, like a good TT run, or when you've finally broken the draft from that guy you've been towing around for 5 laps. :boggled:

You may miss 3rd often because it takes longer to move the stick for that change, and so you need the clutch in a bit longer to go along with that. If the clutch comes out before the stick is all the way where it needs to be you get neutral.

Back