going online for the first time

  • Thread starter Thread starter aerolite
  • 28 comments
  • 1,363 views
Messages
3,005
Canada
Merrickville, Ont.
Messages
aerolite
Finally got rural high speed lines put in on our road so I'm now able to go online to race. Have not found many posts regarding the latter. I have worked my way up to Super Licence and have read all the rules for racing online. What have most done the first time, there is alot to choose from, I'm thinking a short race for fun would be the best way to start.
I have never done any gaming online before so it's all new to me!
Thanks, Steve.
 
If you are using a manual transmission, DON'T do this your very first race like I did!

If you have friends to play with I would start there. If not then I would start with "racing for fun" just to get a feel of it. Its a good way to meet new friends, find friendly lobbies, and just have some relaxing fun.
 
IMO the best quality racing is in the street tire, circuit racing, street car rooms. 400-500PP on Comforts and Sports tires with SRF off. If I were gong online for the first time that's what I'd be looking for. Also do a "global" search. The Euro's tend to run more street car/tire racing than NA's do. Generally the tighter the regs the better the room is run, although there are always exceptions.
 
i would suggest that you use no driver aids at all exept abs 1, start with slow cars on sport or comfort tires if you can find a room wiTH THOSE SETTINGS
 
Find a group to race with. A well run group is always more inviting to race with than random strangers online, a group is much less likely to instantly kick you from a room if you have a accident and crash into the host lol
 
@aerolite
The mic is not necessary, but it is helpful in case you bump someone by accident or if you want to communicate. Most games also have the option to mute other players just in case you find someone that offends or annoys you.
 
Just to add to all the great ideas, transmission tuning is a MUST! Online isn't a place where you can just stroll in with a stock transmission and expect to keep up. So with that said, head over to the tuning forum and grab yourself a good tune to keep competitive.
 
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have experimented allot with tuning all my favourite cars and understand suspension and gearing quite well in real life. I look forward to finding some good clean groups to race with. I raced grand prix motorcycles in real life for 20 years so am well versed in racetrack etiquette.
 
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have experimented allot with tuning all my favourite cars and understand suspension and gearing quite well in real life. I look forward to finding some good clean groups to race with. I raced grand prix motorcycles in real life for 20 years so am well versed in racetrack etiquette.

Ahhhh................... a fellow bike racer :-) I know I can actually talk to you and you will understand. Just think back to your bike racing days. Would you start on a 500 GP bike at your first meeting or would you start off in the production class?

My Tip: Find rooms with no aids enabled (except ABS1) where they race stock street cars (no tuning) on sport tyres (SH, SM or SS). Don't try an win your first couple of races, hang back check out how the others race. If they are clean and quick stay and have fun, if they are dirty, leave and find another room. Race clean and you will make friends, race like most of the online idiots and you will have a very poor time of it.

Basically race online like you did in the real world and just remember no one likes being T-Boned by an idiot with no brains or skill. If it happens to you more than a couple of times either get quicker to stay in front of that guy or find another room ;-)

Once you have settled into how online racing works then start getting into tuning. If you like racing, race untuned. if you like constantly fiddling with setups then get into tuned rooms. The other tip is stay out of rooms where they use race soft tyres. You will see why ;-)

Finally when you have made some friends then get yourself a mic and enjoy the social side as well.
 
In addition to the advice given by previous posters you should also look at the WRS for well organised and administered on-line racing. You'll have to do a little work to begin with to get qualified and registered but after that you're free to enter as many or as few as you want. There is no pressure on anyone to participate after qualifying but you will find good clean fun in the on-line races and they'll take the time to help you improve 👍

Check it out here > WRS On-line

For info on the qualifying process check that out here > WRS Qualifying
 
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have experimented allot with tuning all my favourite cars and understand suspension and gearing quite well in real life. I look forward to finding some good clean groups to race with. I raced grand prix motorcycles in real life for 20 years so am well versed in racetrack etiquette.
feel free to check out the links in my signature, i host 2 online leagues and am looking for more adult drivers.
 
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have experimented allot with tuning all my favourite cars and understand suspension and gearing quite well in real life. I look forward to finding some good clean groups to race with. I raced grand prix motorcycles in real life for 20 years so am well versed in racetrack etiquette.
I would also recommend finding a room with penalties on otherwise you're bound to experience getting rammed off the road.

Let us know how it go.
 
Wow, lots of stuff to check out. Thanks again for all the links guys.
One more question before I dive in. I was checking out some rooms last night and went into a one type race using a WRX, I thought I would have to leave, buy the car and then come back but then realized the car was available for the race. Is this always the case? In the link to the ferrari races in VBR's post above, you sign up ahead of time so do you have to purchase each car ahead of time for events like this? It would make sense so you can get some practice in. I might have to start expanding my garage a bit.
Thanks again for helping out the newbie!
 
There is a pathetically small selection of cars that PD has enabled for those one-make races, in which everyone will use that car whether they have it or not(and you won't use your own version if you do own it). I believe it is the same group of cars as the ones you can use in Arcade races listed as "courtesy cars" or something similar.

To do one-make racing with anything else it has to be organized and policed by the room host, and everyone will have to own the car. It would be nice if you could just share the car you pick from your garage with everyone in the room(would be nice for using racecars with decent setups for one-makes too) but they have not yet managed and/or chosen to allow that yet.
 
In the link to the ferrari races in VBR's post above, you sign up ahead of time so do you have to purchase each car ahead of time for events like this?

Yes, that's right. Buy the car & give it an oil change. And you would need to add the host as well, as the race is in his private lobby. 👍
 
If this is your first online in general (not only racing part) , I'd suggest you first join some cruising lobbies (lobbies search option> free run , driving for fun , meeting friends ,coffee... ) . It is much more fun and more relaxed driving in general,because there is no pressure who is the best. There you can then search/meet people with similar driving skills which will somehow guarantee more fun later in eventual racing than being "ass kicked" by someone who knows tracks, tuning , best cars for certain tracks etc... and do the same lap 10 seconds better than some newbie in the identical car.

When doing race , there is usually free run/qualification before race ,so you can always see how much you're on par with other drivers in lobby and decide whether is worth or not to race with them.

Have a good time online.
 
U need a friend to play play online
 
I am using a tablet I missed type
 
Did my first races last night, that was a hoot. Six or seven 4 lap races in a row at Laguna Seca, had seven cars by the end and host kept upping pp's. Managed to stay pretty clean other than a couple of minor bumps, even got a second place! This could get addictive!
 
Did my first races last night, that was a hoot. Six or seven 4 lap races in a row at Laguna Seca, had seven cars by the end and host kept upping pp's. Managed to stay pretty clean other than a couple of minor bumps, even got a second place! This could get addictive!

Sounds like things are turning out good for you. 👍

(3,500th post on GTP!)
 
And you need to fix fix your typing.

That was'nt any relevant and or even funny. Everyone knows this common typing issue.

Try to post something usefull next time,otherwise dont post anything.
 
Nice racing we had there @aerolite.
Yes, that was good fun, especially staying so close for the whole race. I'm trying my best to stay as clean as possible, but not having much time in that particular car, I think I braked too early a couple of times and messed you up, sorry. That type of car was fun to race with, hope to do more of that!
 
You can come race with us (ReadyOrNotRacing) anytime. Check out our thread here on GTPlanet and our facebook page. Good bunch of people. Send me a friend request if you are interested.
 
Back