Going to the gym: Where to start?

• Thread starter Zrow
  • 4 comments

Zrow

Sweet, delicious
Premium
AndrewPaul
I've decided that I'm wasting too much time in the dorm, and considering we have a free gym available on campus I'd like to start going.

So, how do you suggest I start in terms of schedule, routines, weights, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Shame Young_Warrior just got banned

It's definitely a good habit to pick up on, I've been going on and off for years, and pretty consistantly since April or May. If you're looking for an aerobic workout (treadmills, etc.) then I suggest getting out of the gym and just running outside.

If you're planning on lifting, the gym is great. If you're like me and are really lazy, I suggest getting a friend to pick up the habit with you, it makes it much harder to blow off because somebody else is waiting to go with you.

Schedule?
3 days a week is probably a good schedule to start off at, just make sure you have days of rest in between (go on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or something)

Routines: I don't have time to explain every one but a quick internet search should show you what part of the body each exercise works, and explain how to do it.
If you're looking to work your upper body good exercises to start with are:
Benchpress, Crunches, Bicep Curls, Tricep Pulldowns, Military Press, Pullups, Push ups... just try to incorporate every muscle group, most machines will tell you what muscles they work. (chest, upper back, lower back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearms, abs)

I don't know too much lower body, I rarely lift with my lower body, but squats and calf raises are good to do.

As far as how much to do 3 sets of 10 is a good number to work with for most exercises.

Remember to eat enough protein before and after you lift, it'll help a lot if you're trying to build muscle.

Good luck, as you can see I'm no expert and I pretty much just do my own thing at the gym, but I hope I could still help.

I recommend lots of cardio, and some light lifting. If you manage to workout three times a week, I think that's great. :)

Max Powers
Shame Young_Warrior just got banned
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't say I'm surprised, but I'll miss him.

How you should get started all depends on what you want to accomplish. One thing is important though, take it easy the first couple of times. I know I did when I first started going, and even then I had trouble getting out of bed the next morning. Pm me if you're interested in a good guide with gym exercises, with good explanation with it how you should train which muscles and what to pay attention to, to prevent yourself from doing it the wrong way. I'm not posting it up on here but I have a link for you.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/animations.asp

There's a nice link too, but without the explanation, just animations.

By the way, Young_warrior already did last longer than I expected him to on here. He didn't annoy me though even though he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer..

Max Powers
If you're looking for an aerobic workout (treadmills, etc.) then I suggest getting out of the gym and just running outside.

👍

I don't do much (any) lifting but I have to comment on this.

So many people believe that to get cardio they have to go to the gym. Maybe if it's ugly out I understand that but enjoy every opportunity to get outside. Run on nice trails, bike on back country roads etc etc.

Oh and in terms of diet unless you are going for a crazy insane workout schedule protein won't be that big of a deal. It's more a matter of making sure you don't forget to get some rather then trying to load up. The track team I ran on was coached by the same guy who coached the football (us football) team, he would make fun of his guys for complaining about needing to get in their protein shakes. If you overload on protein your body starts to get rid of as much of it as it can, being just as counter productive as not getting any to begin with.

Latest Posts

Back