Gold in License Test A-12

  • Thread starter Thread starter JaeTea
  • 11 comments
  • 1,900 views
Messages
45
Anyone have any tips to get gold in license test A-12 (Driving Dirt with the WRX STi)?

I've watched the demo and tried about 40-50 times with no success.

Trying to pitch the car perpendicular to EVERY corner is almost impossible, I think you have to be Peter Solberg to get gold on this test! :ouch:
 
I got the gold after about 100 tries.

You seriously got to pitch the car into the corner, and put on a fierce countersteer.

After about 50 tries, I was consistently getting .5 secs off the gold. I made up some more time by sliding the car even more, so that I can get on the gas earlier coming out of the corner.

I used the DFPro, with the force feedback set to low.
 
or, you could just *cough* cheat *cough* and contact the wall right before a turn starts, using it as a railslide and flinging around the corners at a great speed.

but that is cheating.

seeing as how i don't have some other golds on the A test, i didn't bother to play past silver on that one, but i'm pretty sure you can use that method to win.
 
Call me Peter! I got gold on my third try. :D You can make contact with the wall and not fail. That would be the easiest way. I would suggest just try and try watch the demo with your ghost reply and see where he is faster and keep at it.
 
This one took me awhile, too. What finally got me the gold was leaning to slow down more that I would have in GT3 going into the corner. Drifting, but very controlled, and straightening out as soon as possible. Definitely on of the toughest tests so far (I've got all gold on B, A and IB, and all silver on IA (which includes a full lap of the nurburgring, which was far easier than A-12 :lol: )

Oh, and in the demo, the car brakes for the last corner .... don't, you can keep it off the wall even with your foot fully in it if you time it right 👍
 
I don't want to be off topic but it is Petter instead of Peter because he's from Norway
 
Liquid Li0n
I don't want to be off topic but it is Petter instead of Peter because he's from Norway

Yeah it is. I just forgot a "t".
 
I switched the steering to pro rather than sim and it helped out dramatically.

You've got to go perpendicular on all of the turns (except maybe the very last one). I stayed in 2nd gear until the 2nd to last turn, which I threw it in 1st for.

Don't touch or use the wall, that's just pathetic guys. Why did you buy the game if you just wanted to cheat?
 
Also, pay attention to the braking point. kinda have to "dive" into the first corner in 3rd and downshift half way through. Maintain the throttle so the RPM won't drop too far out on the power band.

Make use of the track as much as you can.
 
this is one case where the demo is really not a good thing to follow. you can certainly do it the way it shows, but it's easier to do it using another driving style.

Rather then slide sideways into everything, brake early and do everything you can to follow the inside of the curve. With the speeds as low as they are, your best bet is to take the shortest path round the corner (hence then inside, it's the exact same in autocross if you are familiar with that)

I did this run, a 29.229, in like ten trys. Its pretty good, but I was late braking into the last hairpin and I’m confident I could get a 28.9 if I worked for a bit at it.

edit: speaking of that 28.9, got it.

http://www.corndesigns.com/~frank/A12.mov
Tips:
stay in 2nd
don’t brake into the final turn
brake extra early into that last uphill hairpin
setup each turn so you can throttle all the way through the bend.

if using the DFP, keep the wheel light in your hands, move your hands once to reach the limit in the hairpins (wheel rotation about 180 degrees), follow the inside of the curve, let it the car rotate enough to not hit the outside wall and then to counter-steer, fling the wheel back and left go (remember that BMW film with Madonna, like that)

pardon the crappy video...aiming my damn digital camera at my tv is the best I can do from home.
 
I managed Gold after about 20 attempts.
No need to wall bang, just make sure you brake and turn-in early so the nose slides into the apex and you can power out early.
No need to brake for the 3rd turn - just lift off slightly on turn-in to help get the back end around.
 
Yeah, I just got the car really sideways and got on the gas early. I find rallying with the DFP and GT4 to be much more difficult than GT3.
 
Back