Gone with the wind: conserving tires. Broken after 1.13?

• Thread starter LSFDRX
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
Hello all, hope everyone's GT7 journey is going better than mine is today.

I'm slowly plodding along through all the missions at the moment, and came across the tire conservation mission in the Gone With the Wind series and my god, what a frustrating broken mess this nonsense is.

I'm getting lapped by slow AI, running through tires like nobody's business, and generally having ZERO fun trying to beat it. I went online to see what others are doing and am finding super slow drivers running pretty cruddy laps getting ahead of the AI by lap 20, while I'm out here running many seconds per lap faster and watching the AI pass me by lap 20. All the videos I can find are pre-1.13, so I'm wondering if it's just a broken mission now. The comments speak of resetting the mission and running until about lap 6 to see if the AI is the "right set" and don't end up being some rubber-band assisted unbeatable cheat codes. This seems so incredibly stupid that there could be such a huge difference, but stranger things have happened in 7 I guess.

I'm in the C7 GR3 just RAGING after many failed attempts at this crap. I even stooped to putting a damn supercharger on it in hopes of just beating them into submission (I prefer to run the same setup as AI), but no dice. I'm an A/S pretty quick driver, and this BS today was driving me insane. I eventually just rage quit after many failed attempts so I could avoid having an aneurysm, stroking out and dying on the floor.

Anyone done this post-1.13 and have any sage advice for me so I don't break my Playstation over my knee next time?

Thanks all.

I didn't find it too hard, but make sure you are ready for rain, try to save a bit of fuel with a car that is good for that sort of thing. And make sure your AI isn't on easy mode. Some of these 30 minute missions were a bit weird where the AI runs massively faster when it's set to Easy mode rather than hard. The other thing was that the AI used to do lots of stupid things near the end of the race. If this is the High Speed Ring one I remember I was barely in the battle until near the end when the AI kept pitting to change tires and refuel 100 percent even if it didn't need to. For that one I used the Gr3 Corvette and ran a little short shifting.

I didn't find it too hard, but make sure you are ready for rain, try to save a bit of fuel with a car that is good for that sort of thing. And make sure your AI isn't on easy mode. Some of these 30 minute missions were a bit weird where the AI runs massively faster when it's set to Easy mode rather than hard. The other thing was that the AI used to do lots of stupid things near the end of the race. If this is the High Speed Ring one I remember I was barely in the battle until near the end when the AI kept pitting to change tires and refuel 100 percent even if it didn't need to. For that one I used the Gr3 Corvette and ran a little short shifting.
I've tried multiple attempts and strategies so far, but have quit many races before finishing because I was still so far back from the pack. I have all the tires, have used multiple fuel maps, short shifted, etc.. I've been on the hardest setting since day one, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Maybe the issue is that everything falls apart for the AI near the end in certain AI combinations, and I'm just not sticking it out long enough in most of my attempts to let that happen. My highest placing so far has been 9th, but many times I've quit before lap 20 because I'm a lap down and just didn't see anything changing from then on out. I've also been using the C7 GR3, which hasn't let me down so far, though I was planning on going for the RCZ the next go round.

Thanks for replying!

Good Luck, I did do mine during the first week or 2 with the initial nasty physics so it could still be bugged because of the updates. But I do know that I did catch up to the top 4 or 5 by mid-race so I'm not sure what's happening.

I only started the mission challenges once the physics patch came out, so it's absolutely possible. I'd assume you're on about the 30 min race at High-Speed Ring in the Gr.3 cars? I had to go back and dig out my replay of it to have a look.

I ran the Corvette just with a few setup tweaks (which turned out to be slightly deadly) and won by quite a large margin. I ran 4 laps on RS until it got reasonably wet, pitted and ran 8 laps on inters and then pitted once I was out of fuel. Filled up and kept the same tyres on until lap 16 when it was dry enough, and close enough to the end of the race to switch to RS again. The AI was dumb and stayed out too long on inters, but even without that I was a decent margin ahead. I'm not sure what fuel map I was running apart from the last stint, which I ran on 1. Fastest lap was a 1:08.032.

Back