Good car/track combos to test FFB settings?

DesertPenguin

(Banned)
United States
Long Island, New York
DesertPenguin_
Show me what you got. I found some settings I want to test for my Logitech G29 but a good base level car and track would be nice to really feel things in an ideal test environment.

I guess there can't be one be-all end-all right? Can you guys give a good example of a smooth track, a bumpy track, a tight car, and a loose car?

Smooth: Silverstone
'Bumpy': Oulton (laser scanned but nowhere near Sebring levels of bumpy)
Tight car: Anything with aero so GT3/Formula Renault etc.
Loose car: Ferrari 250 TR (no aero, soft springs and **** tyres make it 4-wheel drift heaven).

Whilst we're on the subject of FFB, always change your volume depending on the car and sometimes even the track if you're using the RAW flavour. The other two auto adjust after a few laps. Do a lap and check the FFB graph on the telemetry HUD to see if you're clipping (red bar). Drop your volume until you get no or only a marginal bit of clipping. Some tracks like Spa I end up with huge clipping at one particular corner due to suspension load. I sacrifice this for greater feel on the rest of the lap though. It helps to bind Volume + and - to buttons for quicker adjustment.

Sorry if you already knew this, it was a game changer when I found this out. It means your other settings are linear in feel across cars (individuality quirks aside).

If you want I can post my settings later on for a specific car/track.

Thanks for the tips. I know about volume being hotmapped and I'll try that. I thought the best way to reduce clipping was just to lower overall Gain since Volume is also linked to steering weight.

I did a 10 minute race at Oulton Park with the Ginetta GT5 and yea it was great but the banked bowl corner at the start of the lap always had some clipping.

With the telemetry screen, any red showing up means clipping right?

You can do it with Gain, but that will affect your steering wheel weight and other forces, as you're reducing all effects to bring a cars heavier wheel weight into the realms of possibility for a G29 (which only has 3Nm). If you do it with volume the wheel weight will be a similar Nm value for all cars (the maximum the wheel can provide). Obviously, if you prefer a lighter wheel you can then take each car 5-10% lower than the limit value.

Yeah, any red is clipping. A little bit on a corner that is taxing on the suspension and high on lateral G is okay (such as the turn you mentioned at Oulton), but you definitely don't want it on every turn.

A Thrustmaster T300 is about 4Nm. Fanatec CSL Elite is up to 6Nm. Small Mige Direct Drive wheels are in the 20Nm range. To give you an idea of that torque, turning a 28cm/11inch wheel at 20Nm is an edge weight of 16Kg.

Each wheel is probably slightly different but for my G29, after a bit of testing, I found that setting the gain to 86 worked the best to prevent clipping while giving me a bit of leeway to increase the other settings as required.

I tend to use RAW or informative. I found that the informative option works well with the G29, it can give an even livelier feedback feel. Immersive I felt was a little heavy on the wheel.

Also try one of the road cars on road tyres. SMS's physics are pretty good.

To give you an idea of that torque, turning a 28cm/11inch wheel at 20Nm is an edge weight of 16Kg.
An image of Popeye springs to mind. :)

Caterham 7 - a car which gets sideways very easily so you can see if your FFB settings are giving you the detail you need to catch and control a slide.

Smooth: Silverstone
'Bumpy': Oulton (laser scanned but nowhere near Sebring levels of bumpy)
Tight car: Anything with aero so GT3/Formula Renault etc.
Loose car: Ferrari 250 TR (no aero, soft springs and **** tyres make it 4-wheel drift heaven).

Whilst we're on the subject of FFB, always change your volume depending on the car and sometimes even the track if you're using the RAW flavour. The other two auto adjust after a few laps. Do a lap and check the FFB graph on the telemetry HUD to see if you're clipping (red bar). Drop your volume until you get no or only a marginal bit of clipping. Some tracks like Spa I end up with huge clipping at one particular corner due to suspension load. I sacrifice this for greater feel on the rest of the lap though. It helps to bind Volume + and - to buttons for quicker adjustment.

Sorry if you already knew this, it was a game changer when I found this out. It means your other settings are linear in feel across cars (individuality quirks aside).

If you want I can post my settings later on for a specific car/track.
This is one of the most helpful/informative posts I've seen since I've been in this site, and I've received a lot of good help here

Back