Good News: Harley-Davidson acquires MV Agusta and Cagiva for US$110 million

• Thread starter Motominded
  • 5 comments
7 time F1 world champion Michael Schumacher on his favorite motorcycle. Harley Davidson V-Rod
PICT0002-766052.JPG

FasterandFaster.net writes....

After weeks (months?) of speculation, it’s finally official – Harley-Davidson are buying a 100% stake in MV Agusta, for US$110 million. This amount will also take care of MV’s US$70 million bank debt. The acquisition is expected to be completed in a few weeks from now.

Apart from the money that Harley is paying now, the sale agreement provides for a contingent payment to Claudio Castiglioni, in 2016, if certain financial targets are met. Until now, the MV Agusta Group was privately held, with the Castiglioni family holding 95 percent of MV shares.

With the MV Agusta Group having sold off its Husqvarna brand to BMW last year, the group now sells bikes under the MV Agusta and Cagiva brands. The company has about 500 dealers worldwide, with most of them being in Europe.

MV will continue to operate from its headquarters in Varese, Italy. Harley will bring in new management and a new managing director, who’ll hopefully start work on new product development. Of course, the company will continue making current models in the foreseeable future.

Claudio Castiglioni will continue in his current position as chairman of the MV Agusta Group, and will play a key role in the development of new bikes. And yes, MV’s design chief Massimo Tamburini will also still be there, doing what he does best – designing absolutely glorious Italian motorcycles.

‘Our customers seek an uncompromising experience in premium performance motorcycles. And with Harley-Davidson's deep understanding of the emotional as well as the business side of motorcycling, I have great confidence that our motorcycles will excite customers for generations to come,’ said Castiglioni.

With this acquisition, Harley hopes to be able to expand its presence in Europe.

My take.

This is great news, Harley is a very stable brand and should definetly help MV Agusta and Cagiva get back on their feet.

To start, MV Agusta has been in financial woes since it was revived in 1997. + Even though the F4 is one of the most beutiful bikes in the world, it hasn't been redesigned since 1997. The only real change was going from a 750cc to a 990cc machine.

MvAgusta.jpg

Bad news for the most successful Grand Prix bikes to ever be made. In Fact from 1958-1974 every World Championship bike was am MV Agusta and a total of 53 world championships have been achieved. The great Giacomo Agostini was responsible for 14 of these wins. It's a history more dominant than Ferrari and Mclaren in F1 and Porsche in sports car racing. Yet, they struggle. It's time to get on par with the likes of Ducati and modern Superbike that can sell well and also make more machines to fill the market and if all goes well, return to World Superbike and Motogp competition.

202230429_5f74aa6859.jpg

I'm skeptical.

What does Harley know about sportbikes these days? Their "racing" heritage comes from about the same era as MV's successes (pics from AHRMA historics racing):

DSC02724sm.jpg

87330002sm.jpg

My fear is that Harley's priority is a European distribution network for American cruisers. Nobody has said anything about that "officially" but I have to wonder why Harley is interested in what might be thought of as a has-been motorcycle company?

If they really think they can go sportbike marketing by buying a company and dumping development money into it, more power to them.

I think Harley-Davidson had that one-off superbike effort in AMA Superbike back in 2001 or so. I am not really sure if a company like Harley-Davidson could make a nice sport bike or superbike. Then again, it wouldn't really fit in with them since they power most of the Buell motorcycles. It was either H-D or KTM that provided power for the Buell 1125R. Or look at it this way... maybe Harley could make a nice naked sport bike like the lovely MV Augusta Brutale.

At least this deal isn't like when Ford tried to buy out Ferrari (imagine what Ferrari would be like if that were successful and still successful to this day!). I could see the link. This may well benefit both Harley-Davidson and MV Augusta.

I DIDN'T KNOW...
...that Michael Schumacher rides a Harley! I'd probably wish he'd paint it Rosso Scuderia to represent his Scuderia Ferrari colors. Either that, or his old Benneton colors from his younger years.

I think Harley-Davidson had that one-off superbike effort in AMA Superbike back in 2001 or so. I am not really sure if a company like Harley-Davidson could make a nice sport bike or superbike. Then again, it wouldn't really fit in with them since they power most of the Buell motorcycles. It was either H-D or KTM that provided power for the Buell 1125R. Or look at it this way... maybe Harley could make a nice naked sport bike like the lovely MV Augusta Brutale.

At least this deal isn't like when Ford tried to buy out Ferrari (imagine what Ferrari would be like if that were successful and still successful to this day!). I could see the link. This may well benefit both Harley-Davidson and MV Augusta.

I DIDN'T KNOW...
...that Michael Schumacher rides a Harley! I'd probably wish he'd paint it Rosso Scuderia to represent his Scuderia Ferrari colors. Either that, or his old Benneton colors from his younger years.

I think you guys are thinking too deep into this. Remember, Harley Davidson is the 9th most expensive car/bike brand in the world and that is because they know how to make proper business decisions. It has been pretty much confirmed across the line that Harley is in as a financial backer. MV and Cagiva will keep on making true Italian machines with their own water cooled engines.

To John: Yes, that is Michael's favorite bike but i feel that even he needs to get away from his F1 career. He is retired and you don't forget 7 world titles.
He does have other bikes he likes as well.

7 time world champ on cars (Orange) vs 1 time world champ on bikes
casey_stoner_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg
51565252_opt.jpg

Last edited:
Just goes to show you... you learn something new every day. Thanks for the little lesson on Michael Schumacher on two wheels.

As long as Harley allow MV to get on with what they do best (building the best supersports bikes in the world) all will be good. I don't feel the F4 needs to be changed, because it's such an amazing bike (fastest road-legal production bike anyone?). If they do re-develop it, I pray that the small frame size, engine choice and exhaust note stay the same/similar.

If MV return to MotoGP successfully, I will cry with sheer joy.

Back