Good points about auto VS manual in games like GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter LaBounti
  • 9 comments
  • 851 views
Messages
5,051
Messages
Labounti
I read a great artical about the unrealistic nature of racing games. I agree with what the editor says about the real life differences with auto VS manual transmissions. check it out. It just makes the games feel less of a sim. most of the points are good for multiplayer and online play so in the end its not that big a deal. But for drag racing it is.

IGN report


I rarely ever make new topics but I think this deserves attention.
 
nice link. its been discussed before here and i agree totally with the article. perhaps games dev's are trying not to put the lesser mortals that can't use manual off
 
Read my thread a while back about auto vs manual, it has some good info in it.

link
 
The main reason they have Auto so closely matching Manual performance wise is so that new players who might not be so good, or 'casual' players can use Auto and be just as competetive. If they made Auto true to real life and then geared the AI and Licenses so that they are possible in Auto then the game would end up way too easy for us Manual users due to the advantage it has. I would love to see them give Manual it's true advantages and I think in many situations Manual does have an advantage in this game. Personally all they have to do is add a clutch.. that will give us Manual users far more control over our shifting and should improve our speed rather than the semi auto manual we have now and should give us the advantage over Automatic that is there in reality.
 
I think a clutch would do nothing but hurt the times of racers. The extra tenth or so it may take to shift could drastically affect lap times. I see nothing wrong with the current manual system, it gives an advantage over auto, but nothing too great, and makes it easy for beginners to pick it up. Throw in a clutch and many racers might be discouraged from even trying manual. Maybe in GT5 but not GT4.
 
A intergrated clutch system would be cool just for the realistic feel it would bring to daily drivers. I agree that it would be a pain to use if your more of a Automatic guy, so make it optional!

There have been many theories on how a clutch can be intergrated into GT4 (and there are some pretty good ones), and I don't think it would be that hard to program. Sure it would bring slower lap times, but it would also bring more pleasure to driving.
 
A clutch would only be good if you have a wheel with one. Otherwise, it's useless.
 
Not necessarily. As I mentioned, some members have mentioned ways of using the clutch with a DS2 without too much trouble. So a wheel wouldn't be needed.
 
I can't see pressing two buttons just to switch a gear. That's just inconvenient. I can see r2 for clutch and l1/l2 for gears, but I prefer the way it is.

And you said it would make it more realistic. If you want more realistic, first get a wheel.
 
I also said that it should be optional. For those who don't like it as much.
 
Back