Google accounts getting hijacked

• Thread starter Finduszip
  • 18 comments
Norway
Ålesund, M&R, Norway
Finduszip
There is someone in Ohio, USA who keeps changing my password on my Google account.

He (or the bot) seems awfully persistent, and I have to change my password about every ten minutes. I googled it and turns out that very recently a lot of people have had trouble with hijacked Google accounts.

Anyone else have had the same experience here?

I think even before you contact google you might want to update virus software and do a scan. You might have a trojan had have even more information than Google passwords going out. If a trojan is detected, it's time to change more than your google password - start with your bank accounts (after you remove the trojan).

What @Danoff said, there is no way brute force could get your password every ten minutes, there's probably malware or a trojan on your pc, so do that scan. Also change your password from a different device. And add two-factor authentication!

Do you have a secondary email account that Google will send forgotten passwords to? If so, change the password on that too.

How can they change your password?

They you either have a keylogger on your system or they have access to an email you use so they can reset it.

People cant just hack your online accounts since the data is server side, unlike cracking a password on a zip archive where the program has local access to the file.

If you use one of the common passwords, dont.

Common passwords include.

password

or similar things.

There is someone in Ohio, USA who keeps changing my password on my Google account.

He (or the bot) seems awfully persistent, and I have to change my password about every ten minutes. I googled it and turns out that very recently a lot of people have had trouble with hijacked Google accounts.

Anyone else have had the same experience here?

You should lock out your account so that it requires a code to be texted to your cell phone in order to sign in.

You should lock out your account so that it requires a code to be texted to your cell phone in order to sign in.

I really think it was a real person, as he passed the captcha and was actually in the US. Maybe some edgy anonimoose hacker.

But I activated the text message thingy and now it's all good.

If you don't have at least two-step verification on any sensitive account, you're an idiot.

I really think it was a real person, as he passed the captcha and was actually in the US. Maybe some edgy anonimoose hacker.

But I activated the text message thingy and now it's all good.

I really don't think it's all good at this point. The two-step authentication might prevent someone with a trojan on your desktop from accessing your google account, but if you access any other accounts from that computer (such as a bank account) you may still be vulnerable. You need to find out whether you have a trojan on your computer - in my eyes it's the best most likely explanation for your situation. That's the only way I can think of for someone to consistently gain access to your google account after you have changed the password.

I really don't think it's all good at this point. The two-step authentication might prevent someone with a trojan on your desktop from accessing your google account, but if you access any other accounts from that computer (such as a bank account) you may still be vulnerable. You need to find out whether you have a trojan on your computer - in my eyes it's the best most likely explanation for your situation. That's the only way I can think of for someone to consistently gain access to your google account after you have changed the password.

I've done a bunch of virus scans, some taking many hours. So I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Back