Google maps + street view + track editor

• Thread starter Mac117
  • 4 comments
Spain
Spain
lapalf
Wouldn't that be amazing??

Simple way to generate an unlimited amount of tracks from real locations. Street circuits, open road, park circuits...

Track layout from maps, scenario from street view and not sure if google maps has data for elevation but that could be done manually or using another gps system?

If this would be reality, what would you be your first idea for a circuit?? New York? Rio? Old Hockenheim layout? Cape Town? Norwegian fiords?

Sony and Google people, if you are reading this please make it happen!

Dreaming is nice I guess...

Way too much of a big dream for now, but this is such a interesting idea that I hope it will become reality in a handful of years in the future.

Converting a bunch of street view images into a 3d model that looks good is way harder than you think. Google maps has elevation data, but it is low quality/resolution, so not usable for a game.

Way too complicated to do I'd say.
Already the GT6 track path editor must have been nuts for PD guys to do, and it had a lot of limitations like the elevation changes.
Remember that Google maps is very imprecise regarding terrain/elevation data

I know it would be difficult and wouldn't be perfect but I think it's something that could be explored. With such a community behind I'm sure there could be created really good original and real tracks.

Elevation is actually the bit that i thought could be solved "by hand". Either bit by bit or by sector (start at this height finish at this other with linear increase) for instance.

As said, not perfect but with the community behind I think very good tracks could come out of it

Back