Got a Mini Problem? SRinc.'s Has a Solution!

• Thread starter SRinc.
  • 15 comments
PSN?!? What PSN?!?
Hey gang SRinc. here. I've been debating over whether or not i would reveal set-up's on my various makes and models that make up my garage. i've finally decided heck, why not when imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery anyways. So with this meaningless introduction out of the way, back to the title that lead you here.

This Mini Cooper S sneaked its way into SRinc.'s garage, as many cars constantly do, but this Brit stood out to me like i would in the halls of the Windsor Castle. only after seeing that i had overlooked completing Mini Mini Sports Meet, i decided to tune the little ol' chap and here are the specs and the results

SRinc. Cooper S
Power : 267 hp
Torque: 237.2 lb./ft.
Weight: 2270 lbs.

Suspension (F/R):
Spring Rate: 6.4/8.2
Ride Height: 92/112
Shock Bound: 5/7
Shock Rebound: 5/7
Camber Angle: 1.2/3.5
Toe Angle: -3/2
Stabilizers: 4/7

Brakes (F/R):
Balance: 10/12

Weight Balance:
Ballast: 45
F/R Bal.: 25

LSD:
Initial Torque: 45
LS Accel: 30
LS Decel: 10

Tranny Set-Up:
1st.: 4.330
2nd.: 2.906
3rd.: 2.030
4th.: 1.560
5th.: 1.260
6th.: 1.060
Final.: 2.720
Auto: 12

LAP TIMES
Laguna Seca: 1'29.546
Mid-Field Raceway: 1'15.249
Vegas 0-400M: 12.846 @ 131 mph

THE WRAP UP
The Mini Cooper S proved to be a sporty enough car worth both keeping and taking track side. after completing the Mini Meeting and wanting to see the S perform against real comp, i ran it thru the Euro Hot Hatch championship and sure enough it came out on top and proved itself worthy of being an SRinc. tuner car. The Cooper S handles wonderfully around Laguna Seca and treated MF raceway as if it were a child on a playgroud. tho its no Skyline GT-R its still a car worth throwing a wrench at, and NO not literally, happy tuning!

**SRinc. NOTE: now you may have noticed there wasn't any tuning listed for the Driving Aids. two reasons one being, for those of you that do your own Driving Aids tuning to your own liking and on those of you who do not tune your driving aids, i dont see why not but thats not the point, i left that part out because you may not like the feel of your TCS and ASM being changed. tires as well. i left out the tires because that too comes down to ones desired feel or liking. also no pictures, i wont have pictures of my cars as much as id like the world to see them, thanks for stopping in and as always, happy tuning!**

Last edited:
I know by looking at it that you're trying WAAAAAAAAY too hard to get rid of understeer/get it to oversteer... And doing it wrong in the process.

The rear camber is far and away too excessive and an obvious attempt to reduce grip at that end to get the tail out. And that's not the way to change handling balance anyway. It's better to increase grip at the end you don't want slipping than to decrease it at the end you don't mind slipping.

Actually as a little experiment... Try:

13.5/6.0
115/115
6/6
9/9
2.3/1.8
0/2
1/7

As a suspension setup. I've not tried it any but I reckon that'll get it nicely oversteery but fast.

i forget who i mentioned it to, but my driving style is almost over aggressive, but it works real well. as a car guy id say im its almost nuts and the set-up is just that off, but under and over steering had nothing to do with the specs thrown here, it was a new layout (im no Mini Coooper guy) took a Civic and FR car suspension and made up wat i have. i've get great grip and traction no major complaint yet tho, thnx for looking in i figured it would be someone i know checking in first.

Actually as a little experiment... Try:

13.5/6.0
115/115
6/6
9/9
2.3/1.8
0/2
1/7

As a suspension setup. I've not tried it any but I reckon that'll get it nicely oversteery but fast.

i gave it a go back @ Laguna Seca with your set-up i pulled off 1'33.852 as the fastest of 4 laps, i can see why one would want there suspension that way it does corner well, but the time diff in laps was a shocker:tdown:, when the grip was still there and the under steer wasnt that much to factor in this run around.

Last edited:
Thats a coincidence, I just built my own Cooper S with similar power.

I'll be sure and give yours a try. I'm not the type to tell you whats wrong with it without trying it out.

I don't see a parts list though?

cool thanks for giving it a look, parts are all and every unless id state otherwise. so a full tune job would be correct then just dail in the settings, and let me know how it works for you.

thats the exact reason its not listed. try it with your prefered tires. for test runs i use (R5's).

Umm.. you DO know that using soft compound slicks during the tuneup can hide severe flaws in the setup..?:dopey:

Umm.. you DO know that using soft compound slicks during the tuneup can hide severe flaws in the setup..?:dopey:

yes. but the times come out better on soft tires, thats why i post the (R5) runs numbers. the result wasnt 'flawless' either way but this is the desired set-up and specs.

I see. Eahc to their own, I guess. personally, I occasionally use the N-tyre approach.. like with the 120i M-Sport MFT has in it's lineup. afterwards i used axcatly same car in tuner comp with S3's and tightened gear ratios, and nothing else needed to be changed if memory serves. The setup itself was made on Nurb, hence why it feels bit slow as it tops out at ~160mph with mere 300ish bhp.. But the handling saves a lot.

yea i do prefer S3 tires, especially on my FF and FR cars they feel great. sometimes i do think the (R5)'s are too soft but they make good tires for 0-400M runs i think.

thats the exact reason its not listed. try it with your prefered tires. for test runs i use (R5's).

I knew those times looked impossibly quick...

Yeah, that suspension I listed is NOT gonna work with R5s. They've got so much damn grip that it just chucks the tail out massively and slides like hell. 4 seconds a lap lost isn't surprising in this case.

i gotta post my Part 2 SRinc. GT-R vs Mine's, two new Skylines, new set-up, new results than i can get onto that venture and post those results as well.

Back