Got a terms of service warning today from PSN - So be careful!

United States
Daytona Beach
sloppysmusic
This message is to inform you that your account has been observed violating the PlayStation®Network Terms of Service https://www.playstation.com/network/legal/terms-of-service/

Reason: Offensive or Abuse Content

I also got one on the PS4 entirely in Japanese, so i cant understand it. Won't post here in case it contains personal info I cant read.

Basically, instead of getting mad in the crazy races when cheats punt me all the time and joining in with the lunacy I've been just calling out the cheat by name to warn others.
It has worked well so far in friendly lobbies as the host can kick cheaters out and keep the racing fair.

However, and its a BIG however, this could be construed as 'stalking or harassment' which is what I believe this warning was for. I havent posted any replays with blatant cheating or shown cheater names in YouTube videos.
I really cant think of anything else from this semi-retired 54yo quiet bloke that could be counted as Offensive or Abuse 'content. Any ideas?

So anyway thought I'd share this in case any other victims of habitual racing violence out there think about calling out the bad guys. DON'T!

I think you are spot on regarding the reason you received this notice. I briefly read through the terms of service and don’t really see any other reason based on the information you’ve provided us

I'd say instead of warning others of the toolbags out there, Try reporting them to Sony for Code of Conduct infringement.

I posted this in another thread

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...nt/grief-reporting/community-code-of-conduct/

I'll just leave that there, If like me you get a popup asking to livechat with a Sony rep I'd say give it a shot and ask them about the respect and being disruptive parts of the Code of Conduct, In my opinion the guy in last place broke both of those, So no harm asking.

Last edited:
Ridiculous if that's why you go it. Shows their claim to want clean racing is just a load of rubbish. They can carry on punting and if you rightly shame them you could get banned.

There needs to be a report option for intentional punting or other cheating where you can submit video evidence and then they could ban the correct person, you know the one who is spoiling the game for others and then maybe people wouldn't need to call out the idiots.

Reason: Offensive or Abuse Content

However, and its a BIG however, this could be construed as 'stalking or harassment' which is what I believe this warning was for.
If the message says it's for offensive or abusive content, why would you think it's actually for stalking or harassment? Surely it's for offensive or abusive content?

That would include, but not necessarily limited to, sending abusive messages (swearing, calling them names) to other players and potentially also liveries with offensive images or words on them.

I also got one on the PS4 entirely in Japanese, so i cant understand it. Won't post here in case it contains personal info I cant read.

This is why Google Translate was invented.

It says content, as in things made. It doesn't say language. I'd recommend reviewing your liveries and see if there might be anything offensive on them, whether they were downloaded or made by yourself.

This would happen all the time on the Forza Forums. People would come in making threads about warning and bans, and it turns out they used something offensive when racing.

If the message says it's for offensive or abusive content, why would you think it's actually for stalking or harassment? Surely it's for offensive or abusive content?

That would include, but not necessarily limited to, sending abusive messages (swearing, calling them names) to other players and potentially also liveries with offensive images or words on them.

Sorry I was on PS4, didn't know I could use Google there. You mean leave the game environment and use a PC?

I have ZERO offensive content! I only made one livery with SLOPPY on it and havent downloaded anything remotely contentious EXCEPT that NERF livery shown in several of the replays here.

only sent less than 5 messages ever on PSN and only ones to friends.
To be clear, I said I thought harassment as i have called players dirty cheats after they smash my car off the track repeatedly. YOU say 'content' includes 'sending abusive messages to to other players'.
If that means in a lobby chat environment then yes I have already said I did that.

It says content, as in things made. It doesn't say language. I'd recommend reviewing your liveries and see if there might be anything offensive on them, whether they were downloaded or made by yourself.

This would happen all the time on the Forza Forums. People would come in making threads about warning and bans, and it turns out they used something offensive when racing.

If there's something offensive in a livery surely they would remove/delete it? Hasnt happened NO content of mine has actually been removed that I can see.
Going to login to PSN on PC now see if that Japanese message is exactly the same or gives details.

I'm in my PSN account now on PC and cant see messages anywhere? Could someone please tell me either how to use Google translate on my PS4 or how to copy and past the text from anywhere else on a PC?
Thanks!

EDIT Im going on the phone with support now to find out exactly what the issue is.
EDIT Calling support hung my android phone. Have to reboot it. No ring tone no way to hang up.

EDIT: PSN Support had no idea where the Japanese message was from or how to translate it. They were almost certain it was the use of 'colorful' language by myself in a lobby towards a cheater.
So thats MY BAD here. I have to admit even though when playing the game it seems as if there are a number of pre-teens/juveniles/immature/kids from the terrible behavior of the drivers, there actually ARE a ton of kids on there. I wouldn't want to cuss out a kid. It's an E game after all. Fun for all the family!

Last edited:
Colorful language? Isn't the swear-word blocking thing present in races? I made a livery with the Hooker Headers logo, and when I wrote the word "Hooker" in the description, it came out ******* after I posted the livery to my activity.

That weird Ielandic chic Bjork is a swear word too.

Sorry I was on PS4, didn't know I could use Google there. You mean leave the game environment and use a PC?
No need. Get the Google Translate app on your phone, set it to Japanese to English, hit the camera icon, point the camera at the message on the TV screen, then gawp at exactly the kind of insane stuff modern technology can do.

No need. Get the Google Android app on your phone, set it to Japanese to English, hit the camera icon, point the camera at the message on the TV screen, then gawp at exactly the kind of insane stuff modern technology can do.
I'm going to grab that app right now. Thanks!

Edit: I've already got it loaded on my new phone :D

I'm going to grab that app right now. Thanks!

Edit: I've already got it loaded on my new phone :D
Sorry, I mistyped - had Android on the brain. I meant Google Translate.

It live translates any text the camera captures. You literally won't believe it until you see it.

Colorful language? Isn't the swear-word blocking thing present in races? I made a livery with the Hooker Headers logo, and when I wrote the word "Hooker" in the description, it came out ******* after I posted the livery to my activity.

That weird Ielandic chic Bjork is a swear word too.

Hooker I can understand, but when I was racing/chatting with @McClarenDesign trying to explain that I had RH tyres fitted on my car, they censored out fitted. :odd: How colourful is that? :lol:

Cheers

The language blocker is useless really. I tried help some one tune I said..
LSD is 18 20 25 18 20 25
And it censored all of it! Lsd drugs and numbers thought was phone number
I also typed (talking about a car)
no doubt it's good
But I typed it badly as no doub tits good..
No censor lol
Also if you want say absolutely anything you just put a space in any word or between letters.
Or switch first letters round like
You rirty dotter (you get the picture!)

"Condom" is blanked too...

It actually kept blanking out the name of someone in the room(when typed), because the word was in the name.

LSD is 18 20 25 18 20 25
no doubt it's good
No censor lol
Also if you want say absolutely anything you just put a space in any word or between letters.
My PSN is THC_gtmic. I'm allowed to have that as an PSN but if anyone calls me THC in a lobby it's censored..... again because of the drug reference (which is not what it stands for). Interestingly enough Thrustmaster was also blanked in GT 6 (not sure if it's the same in Sport), the official wheel of the game.:crazy:

The larger lesson to take away from this interesting run-in with the TOS is: try not to focus on individual incidents and get worked up over them. If you drive defensively and with high awareness, you will have success over the long run with SR and get to the top of SR-S.

This message is to inform you that your account has been observed violating the PlayStation®Network Terms of Service https://www.playstation.com/network/legal/terms-of-service/

LSD is 18 20 25 18 20 25
no doubt it's good
No censor lol
It wont censor it because its true. No doub tits good. Never been a more better sentence.......

My psn name is censored in gt6 but no when i was playing gt5 on their time. What's wrong with it? Is the same as my forum name "alexnipi":boggled:

My psn name is censored in gt6 but no when i was playing gt5 on their time. What's wrong with it? Is the same as my forum name "alexnipi":boggled:
It has a three-letter string in it that's a racial insult for Japanese people.

Omg didn't know. i just add the nipi thing to my short name to make it more exclusive on online games and not be busy (i don't know if "exclusive" is the right word the English is not my native language). The nipi word it comes from an old mod of gta vice city called mod nipituning :odd:

So, what you're saying is, you've sent people offensive messages using the chat box on GT Sport - not just calling them cheaters I'd wager based on how well versed you are at avoiding the chat censor - and you feel the need to warn people?

Surely this is just common sense, that sending rude messages in a lobby-based chat service is a bad plan and against the TOS?

Also, calling them cheaters is not good. You simply need say that they are not clean racers. Calling someone a cheater is an accusation, saying that they are not clean racers is not as much.

I kept getting those annoying free PSN messages, spammed numerous times over a year. I reported them to Sony and I received a reply with a warning not to abuse the report system as I could be banned for harassment. I only used the report system once.

Really don't think Sony are gonna see a penny from me next gen, after 20 years of buying into PlayStation.

I reported them to Sony and I received a reply with a warning not to abuse the report system as I could be banned for harassment.
Sony has previously banned someone I know from PSN, permanently, for "filing an excessive number of reports". They use human moderators, so it's understandable that they don't want to see the same thing reported over and over again.

Make sure that when you report a message of the type you refer to that you also leave the conversation and block the user, so you're not filing multiple reports for the same activity against the same user, and not to do so more than a couple of times a week. Or just set your profile so that only Friends of Friends can send you messages.

Sony has previously banned someone I know from PSN, permanently, for "filing an excessive number of reports". They use human moderators, so it's understandable that they don't want to see the same thing reported over and over again.

Make sure that when you report a message of the type you refer to that you also leave the conversation and block the user, so you're not filing multiple reports for the same activity against the same user, and not to do so more than a couple of times a week. Or just set your profile so that only Friends of Friends can send you messages.
That's exactly what I did. I also reported it just one time and in the info box I wrote that I was constantly being bombarded by these and getting added to chat groups. Personally I think it's a terrible response from Sony.

Back