Got In My First Wreck

• Thread starter FWS_666
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
mosinaddiction95
First off, I wasn't driving. My (basically) little brother just turned 16 on the 28th. We were going down a side road by the interstate and he got off the right side, overcorrected, and we hit a fence, a few fence posts and two or three trees. Threw one tree about 20-30 feet. I was in the middle in the back without a seatbelt on. Hit the back of my head where all the plastic storage compartments are on the roof, hit my forehead on the rearview mirror, and hit my nose and cheek on the dash. My buddy that was beside me grabbed the back of my shirt. There was four of us in the truck. I was the only one that got hurt. We had stopped at a store before the wreck and I was riding on the side before then. My buddy that caught me went to get back in the middle when we left the store, and I mentioned that we had already discussed him getting on the outside seat since he had to get out after we left the store. Glad I did that, because I'd rather be the one to get hurt. Anyways, onto the pictures.

Snapchat-109347142.jpg
FB_IMG_1506659236173.jpg
FB_IMG_1506659241786.jpg
FB_IMG_1506659248195.jpg

Happy that your are okay, but how is your wallet doing? No idea how insurance covers things like that.

I'm thankful I still haven't been involved in a car accident yet, other than watching a gigantic truck back up into my brand new (2 days off the lot) car.

It wasn't my vehicle. I don't know if they went through insurance since it was a single vehicle crash. It's already almost completely redone. They have it in the shop now to get the frame fixed, then they'll be painting the new fenders, hood, and bumper. Then it's ready to go.

I just usually don't wear my seatbelt in the back. No harm done. At the end of the day, it's my decision to make.

I think it’s depends on the state. Feel free to correct me.
MA is very heavy on "Click It or Ticket."

Even if it isn't illegal, I'm still going to say it's a very unwise choice. FWS is very lucky to have gotten away with a few lumps. That could have gone a lot worse (read: Skull caved in).

Even if it isn't illegal, I'm still going to say it's a very unwise choice. FWS is very lucky to have gotten away with a few lumps. That could have gone a lot worse (read: Skull caved in).
I have no doubt in that. It’s a pretty dumb mistake to make.

The only time I think it is acceptable to NOT wear a seat belt is taxi related here in UK.

OP. You made a stupid dumb move. Count your stars you're able to write a post here never mind not have a car to hitch a ride in.

The only state I know of where seatbelt usage isn't required is New Hampshire. It's strongly recommended, but if you're not wearing one you won't be ticketed. Otherwise, I think most other states require a seat belt for rear passengers if they're under 16 or 18. I know in Michigan you didn't need a seatbelt in the backseat as long as you were over 16. Strangely enough, it was also legal to ride in a pick-up truck bed if you were over 16 too. Made many beach runs like that with 12 people in my truck.

That's even worse.
It's the same down here in GA.
Though they did mandate use in pickups and large trucks a few years ago. But you can still sit in the bed and the back of work vans.

It's not so bad when you're on back country roads with nothing around. I'd never do it in the city though or even the suburbs.

I'm not sure - the only times I've ever had to violently swerve (iirc) are around wildlife on the back roads. And a drunk tramp.

I never knew American freedoms included the ability to decide to contend the Darwin award deliberately.
In my state (Connecticut) it's legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you are over 17 years old. Now that is a Darwin award waiting to happen.

A good number of US states don't require helmets on bikes, actually, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

In my state (Connecticut) it's legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you are over 17 years old. Now that is a Darwin award waiting to happen.

A good number of US states don't require helmets on bikes, actually, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

When is was over in Colorado earlier this year, this scared the hell out of me. The number of bikers riding around with no helmet and dressed entirely in denim on the interstates was staggering. Given the aggressiveness of other motorists and the amount of undertaking going on I'm not sure I'd want to ride a bike there, let alone ride with the possibility of having my skull cracked open and my skin ripped off.

Back