Got the basics, need advanced tips

bleakerthanyou
Since the weeks before GT5 came out, I've been practicing my drifting using prologue and now GT5. Started out with the 350z, and then moved to the stock M3, and now a tuned M3. This site taught me everything I know, and all of the advice I got was good.
Now, I can drift around corners at will and I use several different methods to initiate my drifts...and they are all super fun. I can get some really nice ones going whenever I want now without hardly ever losing control.

The problem is something I noticed after joining some "drifting practice" rooms online, and seeing how good some people are. I realize a lot of those guys are using a DS3 as opposed to a wheel, but I'm using a G27 with cockpit, manual transmission, always with clutch. I know that some of my issue is that I just need to learn the tracks so I know the best way to approach each turn...but one thing i don't understand is how to get those impossibly long drifts going and keeping it up. I guess i don't know how to adjust the angle of the car once i'm in the drift. And, I noticed that when someone has a long drift going they are constantly making steering adjustments throughout...whereas I tend to pick a good entry angle and make only minor adjustments while sliding.
I've made amazing progress using the advice I've found here, but don't really know how to proceed to the next level. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe they are using more powerful cars, i dont know what corners your talking about but reallly long corners are very difficult to maintain a drift in a low powered car

Maybe they are using more powerful cars, i dont know what corners your talking about but reallly long corners are very difficult to maintain a drift in a low powered car
This might be happening. To really test yourself find a really good drifter to do tandems with. Use the same car with the same hp and tires, then you will know how to compare yourself. I'm not the best but I can put the car where I want it. I know I can't come close to drifting with my wheel as I can with the DS3. You have to be sooo fast with adjustments and the controller will perform. Adjusting your angle in a long high speed drift as all about throttle and steering adjustments. If you start to loose your angle you need more power and try steering in more. With my car (s15 RM) if I want to open the angle I just keep the pretty much the same counter steer and modulate the throttle more. Don't be afraid of crashing over and over again. I would say to try and mess up on purpose and see what you have to do to correct it and come out smoothly. Maybe if you post more about your setup and specific corners we will have better advice. Or a video if ya can!

I know what you mean but at 598bhp, I don't think my M3 qualifies as a low powered car anymore. I saw the video of the guy drifting the viper around the entire ring in Cape Ring, and I just don't know what to do differently to keep it going that long. I suppose maybe I should just keep plugging away at it like I have been, since I've made some great progress so far. Just seems like maybe I'm missing "part 2" of amazing drifting.

Did you adjust your tranny? I think the 2nd gear is a tad bit too short in the m3, so maybe when you shift up you lose momentum in third and level out.

As for those long corners, its all about throttle control, give a little, ease up, push again, etc.

If you start to loose your angle you need more power and try steering in more.

I take my M3 to Autumn Ring Mini to practice on corners.

The first turn after the start line is the hairpin and I can come around that one pretty nicely by approaching at 70mph and then dropping down to 2nd gear and letting the clutch out as I'm steering in.(Is this what is referred to as a "clutch kick?")

The second turn is a medium left and i've got no problems there. Third turn is a right and then another right followed by a straightaway.

After that straightaway there are 3 right corners in a row i'm trying to drift around, and then immediately theres a left.

When I am coming around the second corner, my angle is usually starting to open up and i sometimes end up in the grass on the outside before I make it to the third turn. Are you saying that mid drift, I should turn in more and apply more throttle? Makes sense, just wondering if I'm hearing that right.

The first turn after the start line is the hairpin and I can come around that one pretty nicely by approaching at 70mph and then dropping down to 2nd gear and letting the clutch out as I'm steering in.(Is this what is referred to as a "clutch kick?")
This is probably closer to a shift lock, Down shifting to torque over the drivetrain. It's not a bad technique for those long sweeper turns, as you can redline in a lower gear, producing a decent entry speed, angle, and of course, lots of smoke.
A Clutch kick, is pretty much self explanatory. it's when you kick in the clutch to upset the drivetrain, Boosting your revs and slamming the tranny to break your tires free. Some people tend to hold it in a for a second or two, while others would just hammer it down and let it off quickly.
Ofcourse these are some of the Basic techniques, so you can try integrating them into others, like feinting. also I can't emphasize enough how important it is to consider your brakes, sometimes you just need to slow down your front tires for subtle angle correction. or just let off the throttle and feather.

Last edited:
I've been drifting for some time, mainly in GT and LFS, and I still don't entirely understand what Shift Lock is. If I shift down into redline it never really seems to affect the balance of the car in any profound way, and I get no response from the rear wheels. I feel like I'm misunderstanding the technique and its application. For sweepers I'm usually using more of a kansei technique. Any advice or input would be welcome, as I'd love to switch things up and learn some new approaches.

Also, I'm way jealous of anyone with a clutch (DFGT user), especially on that first corner of Autumn Ring Mini :P

you don't downshift 'into' redline RPM's, just wherever your Peak torque is found, then lead into redline, by this time you should have lost traction and have a decent inertia to carry you through as your wheels are spinning. A common way to achieve this is to brake hard just as you're reaching your Apex, downshift, throttle, and countersteer(if nessicary). Comming out of the drift you can let off the throttle and upshift.

you don't downshift 'into' redline RPM's, just wherever your Peak torque is found, then lead into redline, by this time you should have lost traction and have a decent inertia to carry you through as your wheels are spinning. A common way to achieve this is to brake hard just as you're reaching your Apex, downshift, throttle, and countersteer(if nessicary). Comming out of the drift you can let off the throttle and upshift.

This is the best way. Sometimes I still mess up because I go into it too fast and the brakes dont stop me enough so when I countersteer my rear wheels touch the grass a bit.

I take my M3 to Autumn Ring Mini to practice on corners.

The second turn is a medium left and i've got no problems there. Third turn is a right and then another right followed by a straightaway.

After that straightaway there are 3 right corners in a row i'm trying to drift around, and then immediately theres a left.

When I am coming around the second corner, my angle is usually starting to open up and i sometimes end up in the grass on the outside before I make it to the third turn. Are you saying that mid drift, I should turn in more and apply more throttle? Makes sense, just wondering if I'm hearing that right.

A clutch kick is basicly any sudden release of the clutch in order to upset traction and is used various ways, initiating drifts and changing angles.

And with the problematic second corner it depends on how your car handles at that moment. There are time you want to stomp on the pedal mid drift and get those tires spinning while possibly changing to the next higher gear. Then there are times when you might be carrying a little too much speed and you let your tires speed or rpms decrease so that you tires grip the road more and you turn in. It's all situational. Try different things and practice :)

but one thing i don't understand is how to get those impossibly long drifts going and keeping it up.

If you now have the drift skill.
Then the second part is You have to tune your car. tune-up skill.

Props to you. I just jumped on my G25 for GT5 after using it for drifting in LFS. My god its haaardd.. It made me realize just how much convenience i had while i was on DS3.

Power is overrated in drifting.
My s15 got about 330 hp with only a race exhaust, cat back, air intake and a ecu
You should really take a couple weight reductions, fully adjustable shocks, lsd and the swaybars for extra stability.
Other than that, just practice
Join a online practice session and look how other drifters do it. or watch the drift bible

Have fun :)

After reading some of the advice here, I decided last night to go get an S15 and try drifting in that. I haven't done any weight reduction yet, just a little camber and tightened suspension, but I think this is the best thing I could be doing to further myself.
I may have jumped the gun a little bit by tuning my M3, and that made me kind of skip over some of the fundamentals. I was doing pretty well, but I decided to take a step backward and make sure I know exactly why the car behaves the way it does and why i need to take the actions I need to take. In other words, I've decided to start from scratch and work my way back up to my M3.

Power is overrated in drifting.
My s15 got about 330 hp with only a race exhaust, cat back, air intake and a ecu
You should really take a couple weight reductions, fully adjustable shocks, lsd and the swaybars for extra stability.
Other than that, just practice
Join a online practice session and look how other drifters do it. or watch the drift bible

Have fun :)

Amen to that

Also on the DS3 or a wheel without a clutch you can kind of do a faux clutch kick. Hit the hand brake just for a second long enough to break traction then smack the gas and turn slightly, usually gives you a picture perfect angle if you give it the right amount of brake and gas.

Back