Got the YLOD again..

  • Thread starter Thread starter itstheDRE4M
  • 19 comments
  • 2,301 views
Messages
195
Messages
itstheDRE4M
I highly doubt I'm going to be able to complete the GrandValley 60laps before my PS3 overheats.

I've got the 80GB Launch.. it recently started overheating three months ago and this is the second time it's overheated this month.

Does anyone have solutions to cooling your PS3 preventing the YLOD?

I'm playing it naked " took off the plastic covers " and there is no way it's not getting proper Flow. I'm about to run it up to 1000 degrees so I can fix it.. for the fifth or sixth time now.
 
I used to have that model ps3 b4 i got my new one, and i brought a fan deck for it straight away, never had any problems until my sister killed when i sold it to her buy using the ps3 on top of the sky decoder which was meaning the fan deck was sucking hot air into the ps3. the fan deck only fits on the launch 60 or 80 gig systems, not on the new slim lines, if you don't have one i reccommend going to your local gaming specialist and picking one up or ebay or any auction site like that.
 
I heard that the fan for fat ps3 is actually bad. I read that at walmart web site on the item's review page
 
I heard that the fan for fat ps3 is actually bad. I read that at walmart web site on the item's review page

The fan doesn't have a direct flow to the board. The casing that surrounds the board and honeycombs in it, but they're not the greatest. When you take off the Fan you should see both Processors/GPU whatever.. well.. you don't.. you see metal.
 
Not to sound rude but clean it, heh. That did sound rude sorry.

If its a fat you should try to run it while its standing up instead of laying down. The heat buildup is on the bottom so its best to keep the bottom away from a low air flowing surface. Also like "itstheDRE4M" said The fan is in a chassis so most of the time dust can easily get stuck in the choke points resulting in heating issues.

If you don't have a warranty and a confident enough you can open her up and take canned air or a leaf blower to it *Cheaper then canned air heh* Course you'll haft to get the fan chassis off first but it should just slide off once you remove the board.

If you aren't confident you can try sucking out the dust with a vacuum.

Those external addon fans can help but if its a dust issue its gonna overheat with or without them.

There is a fan test that spins up the internal fan to high speeds for a couple seconds but there is a lot of rumors about it being bad for the system which are probably not true, I've done it a couple times without issue. But if you want to try that its at your own risk.
 
Not to sound rude but clean it, heh. That did sound rude sorry.

If its a fat you should try to run it while its standing up instead of laying down. The heat buildup is on the bottom so its best to keep the bottom away from a low air flowing surface. Also like "itstheDRE4M" said The fan is in a chassis so most of the time dust can easily get stuck in the choke points resulting in heating issues.

If you don't have a warranty and a confident enough you can open her up and take canned air or a leaf blower to it *Cheaper then canned air heh* Course you'll haft to get the fan chassis off first but it should just slide off once you remove the board.

If you aren't confident you can try sucking out the dust with a vacuum.

Those external addon fans can help but if its a dust issue its gonna overheat with or without them.

There is a fan test that spins up the internal fan to high speeds for a couple seconds but there is a lot of rumors about it being bad for the system which are probably not true, I've done it a couple times without issue. But if you want to try that its at your own risk.


She's in pieces now :)

I've seen thermal images where its standing position accumulates more heat rather than laying flat.. I don't know if this is true or not.
 
you do realize taking the plastic covers off probably isnt helping, there on there to keep the air in to cool it, if u take them off more cool air is escaped.
 
you do realize taking the plastic covers off probably isnt helping, there on there to keep the air in to cool it, if u take them off more cool air is escaped.

Think of them as Covers on your bed.. you put something hot(you) under the covers.. it keeps the heat in.

So I disagree with you on that one, but I understand what you're saying.
 
Think of them as Covers on your bed.. you put something hot(you) under the covers.. it keeps the heat in.

So I disagree with you on that one, but I understand what you're saying.

its cool, computers are a lil different, thats why they have heat sinks to dissipate the heat, but yea they do run really hot and im surprised no one has made an upgraded fan(maybe they have) like the did for the 360's
 
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you're most likely gonna need to buy a new PS3. This already happened to me and I sent it in to fix it 3 times, and the three times it was fixed it crapped out, the last time after only an hour of playing...
 
Don't the phats sell on eBay for like 5-800? Sell n buy 2 new ones :p
 
Seeing as you already have the covers off you could try using a desk fan next to your PS to blow additional air over it.

Alternatively you could do a HDD swap, mine died the other day (before we could back up GT5) and I stuck a new one in, now I have a huge HDD and it seems to be running a lot cooler than before as the fan doesn't kick into top speed half as much. Seems to me that the newer ones run a bit cooler.
 
Thermal images or not, I just know what I know. If a side of the PS3 is producing alot of heat even to touch like the bottom does, its not wise to lay it on a flat surface without airflow. Just sayin' =)

Anything below 80gig models if it hasn't been refurbished already are prone to hardware failures.
 
Hi, if you're not far from me, i repair YLOD's. I'm in CA.

:)
 
I have a fat 80GB PS3 which I've had for close to 2 and a half years. I got through the Grand Valley 300 in about 2 hours and it worked fine through the whole race.
 
Change the dried out thermal grease.
Use non-conductive compund (AS5 is a no no but a good compound IF you are willing to use it).
 
Upgrade the fan speed I tore my fat ps3 apart and cleaned it and repasted the heat sinks. The problem is the stock fan speed sucks. I bought a mod off the net for 20 bucks it has a adjustable pot that lets you control the speed. I have been running mine 24 hours a days with the bobs and me racing it gets warm but never as hot as before the fan mod...exterior fans do little to help ...the problem is inside the box:sly:
 
Sorry to hear it but my second ps3 was bought 2nd hand always ran hot until I put in a 500gb drive now it's quiet when playing games. The fan speed is controlled by the firmware I can't believe Sony couldnt have corrected this. By the way my first ps3 is a warranty replacement after a blueray drive fault and is going strong it's an original 40gb model.
 
My original EU date launch PS3 lastet up til around Feb of 2010 and got YLOD. Paid Sony £130 for a refurbished unit which lasted a month then i had got a 12mth warranty with it so free of charge it was replaced to which now it froze one day on me for a few seconds.
Gave off stink to Sony and a brand new Slim 120gb with a 12mth warranty is arrived on 29th Dec
 
Back