Gr.3 MR cars tire wear test

• Thread starter Molaidou
  • 13 comments
United States
United States
Hey guys, after the new tire model update. I want to test out the tire wear of the Gr.3 MR cars and share my results. In the test, I will create a custom race (not online lobby) and drive each cars on Maggiore GP for 8 laps, then I will post the videos and some comments here so you can see my driving and how the cars behave. I'm not as good as those aliens/pro drivers or as knowledgeable as other members about car (I'm a car noob!!!), but I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Custom Race Setting
Track: Autodrome Lago Maggiore – GP
Lap: 8 Laps
Tire Wear: 10x
Fuel Depletion: Off
Slipstream Strength: Real
Grip Reduction: Real

Car Setting (All cars)
Bop: On
Brake Bias: 0
TCS: 0
Tires: Racing Hard

Why choose Maggiore?
Because I think this track is balanced. In the videos, you can see the tire wear on left and right tires is very close, and it's easier to compare the front and the rear tires. Also, the track has slow corners, high speed corners, and some corners that requires trail braking. This test should tell a lot about the cars.

Race Pace
In the test, I will not be very aggressive or go as fast as possible. I don't want the tires receiving unnecessary pressure except for small mistakes. While being very careful, I will try my best to be in a reasonable race pace. If I make a huge mistake (spin the car/out of track), I will restart the race.

What do the results mean?
Since everyone has different driving style and races on different tracks. This test is just for reference, and the information won't reflect the behavior of the cars accurately for everyone. So, you still need to drive the car yourself to truly feel it.

So, the first test would be...Lamborghini Huracan GT3 2015!!!

(comment also on youtube description)
The Huracan is quite powerful, I can reach 1:56.344 without pushing the car. Its cornering is good, but there is some understeer at high speed. The car might not like curbs because at 3:34 and 3:47, the car's rear slides over the curbs with little tire wear. It's a bad sign (maybe it's my bad driving :P).

Also, at T5, it's kinda hard to full throttle there, so I lifted for consistency. At lap 5, the tires feel really bad, braking and curbs could make the car lose control easily. At lap 6, the car almost feels undrivable...

Oh wait, at 10:38 I crashed, I guess it's alright as I struggled to accelerate with the car and I can't even full throttle at 10:55. After lap 7, it's just constant struggle with the car, so I cut the video (I can only record 15 minutes!).

Look at the tire wear, rear tires suffered more than the front. Negative brake bias might help.

And the second test is...Mclaren 650S GT3 2015!!!

This test was done after the Huracan, so I think I might be too cautious and too safe during this one...

The 650S feels way more stable and isn't afraid of curbs most of the time. It has better high speed cornering but not as powerful as the Huracan.

There is not much happening during the first 3 laps. At the end of lap 4, the tire wear starts to kick in(6:14). Need to be a little more careful on the throttle.

Lap 5 and 6, turning became worse now. The car feels unstable after some corners and I need to lift at this corner(9:32). The car is still good overall.

Lap 7 and 8, it starts to feel more careful now. The car is quite unstable and need more gentle throttle control (13:15).

after 8 laps and it feels like the car can run 1-2 more laps before becoming undriveable, which is really good. When the tire wear comes, just need to be cautious on the throttle. The tire wear biases on the rear only by a bit.

Today, I tested 3 cars. The first one is Porsche 911 RSR 2017

Well, well, well...I can't really say anything bad about this car. This is a very decent car.

This car is good at slow speed and high speed corners, and it is so stable during the whole race even at lap 8.

The tire wear is even on the front and the rear, and it doesn't really affect much to the grip. I mean it did, but it doesn't expose any shortcoming of the car. At lap7 11:29, this is the only mistake in this race(except for missing apex). I don't need to worry about anything other than adjusting my throttle control.

The next one is the Honda NSX.

I would say this car is kind of interesting for me. The car's steering sensitivity is high. you can steer less in the NSX and still turn in as fast as other cars, which means it's very good at slow and high speed corners. However, if you turn the wheel too much, the speed will decrease dramatically and it will create much more tire wear.

One of the shortcoming of this car is weight transfer. The car always feels floaty on the road. Whenever you brake and you steer a little too much, the rear end will start flying. This also happens when you life the throttle. It upsets the car's balance. In order to overcome this issue, you need to be very gentle with everything (throttle, brake, and steering). I think it's kind of hard to push with this car in a race because you might make more mistakes with aggressiveness.

Oh, btw, the NSX actually doesn't mind curbs (maybe at lap 8). Even with tire wear, it won't lost control over the curbs. However, if the car is starting to lost control during brake/steering, and it runs over the curb, it will slide around. So, be careful, don't lose the rear and everything is fine.

So, about the tire wear. I think the tire wear is not much of a problem if you're already being gentle with everything. You can do the same thing at lap 6 or 7 without sudden losing control. Of course you might want to adjust the throttle and braking point a little bit. It is always the case with every car. At lap 8, you can see the car becoming unstable, and I think it's the starting point of being undrivable. In short, be gentle with this car!

The final test is the infamous......Ferrari 458 Italia GT3!!!

What can I say? This car is so dangerous to drive!

First, I think the car suffers understeer (slow and hight speed) compared to other cars, because I always want to steer more to make the car turns. For example, T2 1:02, I think the cars I tested can go through the corner at 43-44 mph, but the 458 is at 41 or 42 mph and get on the power very late (maybe I took the turn wrong, idk). Another example would be at 2:20, it needs more steering to go through it.

Actually, Understeer may not be a big deal. The more annoying problem is that braking can easily make the car loses its rear. Without tire wear, this issue is not too difficult to avoid, but when it does with tire wear, the slightest steering while braking can unstable the car. Not only that, the recovering time is so long. If the car slides, it usually need 1-2 seconds to recover. It is also very hard to countersteer with car as it's sliding. The car would keep sliding until it feels satisfied.

Another problem is that as tire wear gets worse, your steering angle will become very limited. So, if you steer too much, car goes flying. Another one is that the car doesn't like curbs. When you have too much speed or steering angle and the tires slightly touch the curbs, then it goes sideways.

In short, if you want PTSD, this car can give you one.

What makes you think that it is speciafically the tyre model that has changed. Why not the suspension and/or other parts of the physics?

CJ

Sorry mate, I don't think I have enough knowledge to answer that. I do recognize that there is discussion about the changes in other parts of physics but not the tyre model. Since I don't know which one is true, I just went for what the official update written.

This time we are looking at the Peugeot RCZ!!!

When I try to drive this car, the first impression is that it's heavy. I thought RCZ is a handling car and should be pretty light, then I compared it to the NSX, which feels super light, and they are both about 29xx kg with BoP.

Anyway, the RCZ is a pretty good car to drive in terms of handling. It is good at slow and high speed cornering. Curbs don't do much unless entering it in a wrong way. On the other hand, it is hard to get on the throttle quickly as accelerating in lower gears can easily make the car spins, so try to smooth your input at the exit. Another issue is that RCZ lacks of top speed. At 3:40, you can see the top speed only reach 163 mph (almost 164), and it really hurts the lap time.

Moving to tire wear, the RCZ feels great even with tire wear. It doesn't suffer from anything. It is very stable, and turning stays quite sharp. Actually, I think I didn't push hard enough, there should be more in the tires.

Now it is time for the...Peugeot Vision Gran Turismo!!!

This VGT is a very stable car. Interestingly, it feels lighter than the RCZ. Curbs aren't a threat at all. No sight of oversteer. In fact, this car suffers a lot from understeer. It has excellent top speed as 2:06 showing that it can reach 168 mph at the long straight, which helps a lot with the lap time. Also, lower gears are still dangerous just like RCZ's, so be careful with that.

A little thing about this car is that you might want to brake a bit earlier after a long section. You can see in the video I braked at the cones in the very long straight (I usually brake slightly after the cones).

You will experience a tons of understeer as the tires' lifespan is decreasing. The tire wear on the front and the rear is very close. Actually I think the front wears just a bit more. +1 or +2 brake bias might make the car less understeer.

I know that the R8 is a great time trial car. It is easy to get on the throttle and quite fast on straight. It's good at high speed cornering but bad at slow corners, which is surprising for me as this car tends to oversteer.

The car doesn't hate curbs with frest tires, but with a little tire wear, it could slide over the curb if you are turning too much. It gets worse as the tire wear goes on.

The back end of the R8 can easily lose control while braking. That isn't much of a problem in this track if brake properly. I found the more annoying problem that when coming out in a fast corning, and I try to hit the throttle. Then it could upset the balance of the car and make it slide/understeer. Even at lap 1(0:20), you can see that happens.

The tire wear isn't as bad as I expect. I thought it would be tough to drive at around lap 5-6. Still, the car can be dangerous to drive with a little wore tires. With bad tire wear, abusing curbs is not recommended because it is too damn easy to slide. Look at lap 7 1(0:40).

The R8 isn't too bad to drive, but the tire wear kills its performance. You don't want to push the car at the end of the race. If you push it earlier in the race, later you might need to babysit the car...

This 4c is sort of different than other Gr.3 MR cars. At first, I thought the car is unstable because it shakes/swings a lot, then I realized it's just the weight moving around the car (feel a bit like a road car). The rear is quite stable. High speed and slow speed cornering are both alright.

I used higher gear coming out the corner as it's easier and smooth. Hitting the throttle in lower gears has huge impact on the car and makes it spin. I think the gears reaching the top end of the rev range is the cause. Higher gear = safer.

As you can see in the video, I didn't make a good lap time. This car might not be good for qualifying, but its tires' performance is superb. My lap times are pretty consistent in the test (except for the last one, I lost focus T_T). The tire wear didn't expose any shortcoming of the car. At 2:15, it slides a little, I guess it was the throttle. Overall, It feel really stable the whole time.

It feels that The Ford GT has more responsive turning and less weight bouncing around than the 4C. It's good at slow and high speed, and its top speed reaches to 167 mph. Good car to drive.

But with tire wear, it reveals its weaknesses. First, the car start to become unstable at lap 5. You can feel the car slides a little during corner. As it goes on, the weight of the car will bounce more, and sliding needs more time to recover the grip. Also, worn tires can make it slides over curbs, but it is still doable with proper steering input. Basically, it starts to feel like a different as the tires run out.

Additionally, I need to adjust my braking point. I missed so many apexes!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Lol, you are right.

The Citroen is a really nice car to drive until the tire wear kicking in, then it turns into a dangerous car in a different way. This car's handling is great and good at cornering. It's fairly easy to get on the throttle. Good top speed. It feels a bit floaty. No major issues at all.

Around lap 5, you could feel the car's behavior starts changing. You will notice the weight affecting the car, and the car becomes unstable and slides after each corner. The real issue is that it's difficult to tell when it wants to slide. This car slides in a different way than other cars. You brake and turn into a corner. Everything is fine, and you are coming out of the corner. Still no problems and you hit the throttle to have a good exit, then the car starts to slide not because of the throttle. It is because its sliding is delay.

This corner (8:13) should be obvious. At the apex, I put in half the throttle, then the car comes out of the corner. I didn't immediately floor it because I know the car wants to slide, so I wait a bit longer to get on throttle. The car is dangerous due to its unpredictability. You need to be cautious on the throttle because you don't know when the car wants to slide. You thought it's alright the floor it, then the delayed slide comes into play, and you just get trolled.

Another problem is that I couldn't feel the throttle of this car. For example, normally, I comes out of a corner in lower gear (1st & 2nd gear), if the rear spins, I can hear the tires squeal and I know I reach the limit. However, with this car, I put a little throttle and think I could push a little more. The car's rear is getting loose, but it has no sound, so it gets me by surprise.

I don't think the car is bad at curbs. It could still spin without proper steering input. It's just that it will usually do that delayed slide after running over curbs. The car might not as dangerous if you are familiar with it.

The R.S.01 is super easy to drive. No issues. Can get on throttle easily. Good cornering. It can brake a bit later for most corners. Too bad that it lacks of top speed, but I still make a good lap time, which surprised me.

As the tires getting worn, you can realize the the same symptom from the Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Audi, but not as severe as them. The rear end is getting loose that makes the car unstable. Trail braking won't lose the rear end like the Ferrari, but you can feel the car becomes unstable and slides more when turning into or coming out of corners.

You can't hit the throttle as fast as before, and you want to straighten the wheel more. This car can touch curbs, but it doesn't really like it. It's not safe to run over curbs with severe tire wear. Also, tire wear makes braking less efficient, you want to adjust your braking point when the tires are dying.

So, basically, tire wear slowly turns a beginner-friendly car into those cars mentioned above.

What word should I use to describe the GTI VGT? Understeer, understeer, and more understeer!!! This car has no huge issues except for understeer. Slow speed cornering is fine, but pain in ass at high speed. I think it's even worse than the Peugeot VGT, but it also has excellent top speed (167 mph). Throttle is kinda wild tho.

This car need to brake earlier after a long section. As tire wear goes on, you want to brake even earlier. And that's it. There isn't much to talk about.

...don't get me wrong, but if you are willing to test tire degradation, you should exclude fuel consumption, and put tire degradation on 1x. Then you should run test like 20-30 laps and see how tires degrade throughout longer period of time with normal tire degradation. Extreme tire degradation will make car change a lot throughout one lap, and it is not what you want when testing that.

...don't get me wrong, but if you are willing to test tire degradation, you should exclude fuel consumption.....

I did turn off fuel consumption. Only tire wear is applied in this race.

Then you should run test like 20-30 laps and see how tires degrade throughout longer period of time with normal tire degradation.

It would be way too time consuming because it would take at least 2 hours for each car to reach 80-lap tire wear. I sort of get what you are saying. you want more precise data about the cars, but it's a difficult task for me to do so.

Okay, let me revive this thread for some new tests.

First of all, it has altered the tire wear rate in the patch 1.34. I thought the new Mclaren F1 GTR has very good tire wear, then I tested different cars in custom race and online lobby. The results are that the tire wear has been reduced dramatically for MR car. I'm not sure about FR car but it seems the tire wear isn't as severe as before (I don't have any data to confirm this).

Compare the tire wear at the end of both videos, you can see that it's a huge difference. The 8-lap-worn tires in the new one is about lap 5 in the old one.

BTW, I tested the Mclaren F1 GTR.

This car is very fast and its top speed can reach 169mph at the long straight, but it sacrifices high speed cornering ability. Also, you need to brake so early in most of the corners, even the Ford GT can brake later than that. Its stability is great. It doesn't hate curbs or oversteer (not sure about this if it has severely worn tires). Not hard to get on the throttle. Quite nice car to drive, just need to adjust braking points.

So...I tested the new BoP and the old BoP on Ferrari GT3 after update 1.40. All the setting is the same as above except that, this time, I'm using medium tires for greater differences, then compared the tire wear of both results. Even though the video's quality isn't great, I can still see that the new Bop has reduced a certain amount of tire wear (front and rear tires).

For the car's handling, I think the new BoP is a bit easier to drive, especially braking. When I was trail braking into a corner, It feels like less weight moving around the car; therefore, it won't upset the car's balance as much as before, but still, it needs a lot of caring to drive this car.

New BoP is potentially better than the old one if you're looking for race pace. But really, it depends on the race's setting. In this test, I can use the tires for 80 laps and show about 2 seconds difference. In a FIA race, you probably reached around 40 or 50 laps then change a new set of tires. Anyway, it helps reducing tire wear, that's for sure.

Comparing tire wear between pre-BoP and post-BoP, it doesn't have much of a difference, and those lap time are quite close. I don't think the new BoP has a big impact on the Lambo.

And the Audi R8...It has better tire wear reduction than the Lambo but less than the Ferrari, which is good. However, I got worse lap time with new BoP. Maybe my driving style can't show the true potential of the cars. I might not be aggressive enough, and Audi R8 actually seems like a car that can get on the throttle very early.

And the last one is NSX, other MR cars only got 1% drop on power and weight. I don't think it would make any interesting affection on them. Well, tire wear is improved, just like Audi. And the lap time is 1 second faster.

I feel like the Ferrari gained the most out of this update.

Back