Gr. F (Formula Class)

Australia
QLD,
StigBelcherStyle
It would be great if Gran Turismo introduced "Gr. F". This would Provide an opportunity to limit a race to formula class cars only. With the recent inclusion of the 2 Dallara Super formula cars this category is growing.

The Current Formula Class (Gr.F)

Dallara SF19 Honda, 2019
Dallara SF19 TRD/Toyota, 2019
Gran Turismo F1500T-A, 1985
Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+, 2017
Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+ (Color Variation), 2017

Why would cars of different rules and performance be grouped together?

That's also a question PD should answer....

It's in Gr.X and it looks like they are "together" on the surface but they are not.... if you go to custom race you'll find that you can only engage in a one make series.

I feel like these individual race series themselves do not want to be raced together as it then shows the performance difference and that's not good.

It's in Gr.X and it looks like they are "together" on the surface but they are not.... if you go to custom race you'll find that you can only engage in a one make series.

I feel like these individual race series themselves do not want to be raced together as it then shows the performance difference and that's not good.
I mean, if PD created a class for open wheel but sub-groups for each, it would make sense, but as we've seen with Gr.1-4, that's not happening.

If Polyphony is strugling to get F1 Licences they could convert the Premium F1 cars from previous games to gran turismo versions

Gran Turismo F2000W-83 (West Surrey Racing Ayrton Senna [Ralt RT3], 1983)
Gran Turismo F2400F-10 (Ferrari F10, 2010)
Gran Turismo F2400F-07 (Ferrari F2007, 2007)
Gran Turismo F3500G-04 (Formula Gran Turismo, 2004)

ferrari f10.jpg Formula_Gran_Turismo_(GT6).jpg Ferrari_F2007.jpg West_Surrey_Racing,_1983_Ayrton_Senna.jpg

If Polyphony is strugling to get F1 Licences they could convert the Premium F1 cars from previous games to gran turismo versions

I dont think it works that way... ie. Ferrari might have allowed them to use the F2007 in GT5 ONLY or in that generation of console ONLY (ie. didnt appear in GT6).

We dont know but there's rarely a license that allows you to use content from a decade ago across different generations of game and console.

I suppose they could very well do an "F1500" and I would welcome that too.

At this point I feel like they should just release a 'generic car' DLC with the FGT and generic versions of Nascar and I would do PD modified race versions of the C63 coupe, Audi S5 coupe and the BMW M3/M4 and call them the "GTC" series (ie. German Touring Car) and throw them into Gr.2 and let fly the dogs of war.

Gr.F is fine. Gr.X is for cars that, 'X'= unknown where they fit in this game. F= Formula cars, works, as that's what they are. They're not a track day car or a custom built road car or an electric car that can't fit within petrol regulations or a one-off show car specifically for a video game.

The two cars being in Gr.X or a new Gr.F makes no difference to the GT League races we've seen previewed, the two Super Formula cars will be the only two selectable, the same as the Historic races and the VGT races.

Getting this system to work for custom races in the arcade section or in lobbies is where Polyphony need to make improvements. And this applies across the range of classes I would say but that's a whole other thread!

The open wheelers are like the sportscars in the game - too diverse in performance to be shoehorned into one category.

Gr.F is fine. Gr.X is for cars that, 'X'= unknown where they fit in this game. F= Formula cars, works, as that's what they are. They're not a track day car or a custom built road car or an electric car that can't fit within petrol regulations or a one-off show car specifically for a video game.

Super Formula is a one off car though - it's a spec series. I'd be fine with its own group if it was the only car in it.

The open wheelers are like the sportscars in the game - too diverse in performance to be shoehorned into one category.

Super Formula is a one off car though - it's a spec series. I'd be fine with its own group if it was the only car in it.
It's not a one-off show car. There isn't just one of those. There are multiple in a series.

How about the Rs01. There is a base one and a GT3. The base one should be in Gr.X as it doesn't fit in Gr.3.

By one-off I mean spec series. There would of course be different liveries for the car.
By one-off, it means only one. In a Formula Spec series, it could go under Group F, as that would be the category for Formula cars.

In Project Cars, there is such a breakdown of Formula Cars in their various formula categories. It makes sense. What's being suggested, is quite simple in the way PD have grouped cars for this game.

The RS01 apparently is a GT3 and a one make series racer... so having one in Gr.X makes sense but like all the other cars in Gr.X they are there really to die only in the hope that they get their own league or sport race series.

Like the RS01 Gr.X should have been front and center to some kind of special event but like the Zonda R and all the others in there they may as well not exist.

Group X already splits them into their own one-makes or limited classes, and I don't see a point of racing the different Formula cars against eachother considering how far apart some of them are performance wise.

The RS01 apparently is a GT3 and a one make series racer... so having one in Gr.X makes sense but like all the other cars in Gr.X they are there really to die only in the hope that they get their own league or sport race series.

Like the RS01 Gr.X should have been front and center to some kind of special event but like the Zonda R and all the others in there they may as well not exist.
That's not about the group they've been placed. It's more about the game customisation.

Edit: @VeeDoubleU I see the suggestion as an option. It's not mandatory to race all classes at once. some games allow players to actually "play around" with selecting AI cars and multi-classes. It doesn't harm how anyone plays their own individual game.

Last edited:
You guys realized the Gr. X meant "for one make races only", not "against different Gr. X cars" right?

I do much prefer PCars classifications though especially in case of Vintage Le Mans Cars.
Thing with that is, Gr.X isn't one make only, when you enter GT League VGT and Vintage races. So, PD dangled another carrot there(the other being, multi-class only, in Campaign Mode).

Thing with that is, Gr.X isn't one make only, when you enter GT League VGT and Vintage races. So, PD dangled another carrot there(the other being, multi-class only, in Campaign Mode).
Yes but then it become jarringly tangled. Why not set up a new class respectively?

Then again, I really hope they didn't mix the modern and classic F1 as they behave differently and even has very different cornering speed and turbo lag. Let it be one make.

Yes but then it become jarringly tangled. Why not set up a new class respectively?

Then again, I really hope they didn't mix the modern and classic F1 as they behave differently and even has very different cornering speed and turbo lag. Let it be one make.
PD wouldn't mix the different Formula cars together. The OP is suggesting an option to choose to race them together. Keeping the different class of Formula cars separate, is fine. Having the ability to race them together in Custom Race is a cool option. We all know the way PD set up Gr.X vintage racers is completely wrong. We see this in the GT League race, where AI use all the cars from 1979 and under. We don't get that option in Custom Race.

I don't care if PD never make a Gr.F. I see the OP's suggestion, as a fair one.

I'd even throw in the red bull X2014 cars and juniors, they are opened wheel vehicles.. although in a class of their own obviously.

Latest Posts

Back