Gran Tuismo 6 2020: It's still alive?

• Thread starter DomiR
  • 26 comments
Italy
Italy
Hi to all, I'm considering to take a Ps3 at a good price, but only for playing at Gt6 (yep, big nostalgia of old GT time..).
So, my question is, it's possible to update however the game at lastest version?

Thanks for the attention!

Do not download the updates all at once or you will have a nightmare, these steps below you will never have a problem with installing the updates.

Step 1. Do the first 6 updates when the 7th update is just about to start, just press the O button on your DS3 to stop the updates from going any further.
Step 2. disable the internet.
Step 3. Start GT6 and let the updates to be installed.
Step 4. Once the updates are installed, go to out of GT6 then enable the internet again.
Step 5. Press on GT6 and do step 1 and 2 and step 3 again until all the updates are installed.

Welcome #DomiR... Like #fordlaser said above ... if ya wanna be even more extra super safe then do one update at a time and reload every time for the next one. Takes a day, but guaranteed to work for all updates without issues. Just make sure you have plenty of hard disk space in the PS3 for the game. :cheers:

Question for posterity:

My OG Fat PS3 is still running last i check... And has all the save from when I left off...

If I ever have to or were to restart everything from the beginning, wiping the HD clean one day...
Wouldn't it make sense that I pre-download all the updates currently available onto a USB?

The fear I have is if PSN ever decide to stop supporting GT6, i want to still be able to play the latest and greatest Offline version...

Is that possible?
What about GT5 and GT5 Prologue ?

I basically want to prepare and have everything ready for my retirement ( I still 20-30 years ahead) so that I don't have to jump through too many hoops then...

Question for posterity:

My OG Fat PS3 is still running last i check... And has all the save from when I left off...

If I ever have to or were to restart everything from the beginning, wiping the HD clean one day...
Wouldn't it make sense that I pre-download all the updates currently available onto a USB?

The fear I have is if PSN ever decide to stop supporting GT6, i want to still be able to play the latest and greatest Offline version...

Is that possible?
What about GT5 and GT5 Prologue ?

I basically want to prepare and have everything ready for my retirement ( I still 20-30 years ahead) so that I don't have to jump through too many hoops then...
You can still download GT5 updates.

Sadly you can't do that on a original firmware and such, but I'd suggest at least going up to 2.11 for GT5, and 1.22 for GT6.

I did download all the updates all in one at one time before for GT6, it's possible but I wouldn't suggest it, but I may have gotten lucky on that one.

Well, speaking of updates, does updates really make the game better in physics, sound, FFB, or the like? (that is, fundamentally improve on the gameplay experience.) I am interested in getting my first GT game within a month or so but I will mostly live offline (at least not until GT7 comes out. The reason I am here is because I didn't like the idea of playing a game with a working PC, and I can't afford to build a more specialized computer.) Is downloading those updates more trouble than its worth? I like the idea of putting racing number on any non-racing Premium car(implemented in v1.10), though.

Well, speaking of updates, does updates really make the game better in physics, sound, FFB, or the like? (that is, fundamentally improve on the gameplay experience.) I am interested in getting my first GT game within a month or so but I will mostly live offline (at least not until GT7 comes out. The reason I am here is because I didn't like the idea of playing a game with a working PC, and I can't afford to build a more specialized computer.) Is downloading those updates more trouble than its worth? I like the idea of putting racing number on any non-racing Premium car(implemented in v1.10), though.

I would say it is worth it because PD did a great job of fixing bugs, optimizing performance on PS3, & adding loads of free content. The best advice is to only download 6 updates at a time, some people do 1 but that's overkill IMO. However, if you get GT5 Academy Edition it has most of the updates already on the disc & downloads quickly & painlessly. I also think that GT5 is a better game overall, but it really depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

All GT6 updates will make the game a lot better and this method below never fails.

What you do is the first 6 updates and as the 7th update starts, I press O button on the DS3 control to stop the updates, then I disable the internet. Then I start GT6 and let the game install the updates, once it has finished after about 5 seconds go out of the game, re-connect to the internet and start the game and then do the next 6 updates and I press O button once the 7th update start then on the DS3 to stop the updates. Keep doing this on what I have said on every 6th update.

Depending on your ISP speed of course, but as a benchmark, this was my (20 Mbit/s) approximate times when I last updated..

Update, Minute, Size
1/21, 35 min, 1255 MB
2/21, 5 min, 99 MB
3/21, 10 min, 214 MB
4/21, 5 min, 100 MB
5/21, 10 min, 295 MB
6/21, 25 min, 961 MB
7/21, 50 min, 1476 MB
8/21, 20 min, 598 MB
9/21, 65 min, 2115 MB
10/21, 5 min, 30 MB
11/21, 10 min, 484 MB
12/21, 1 min, 9600 KB
13/21, 20 min, 548 MB
14/21, 10 min, 589 MB
15/21, 11 min, 536 MB
16/21, 11 min, 397 MB
17/21, 11 min, 206 MB
18/21, 11 min, 270 MB
19/21, 11 min, 311 MB
20/21, 12 min, 185 MB
21/21, 12 min, 35 MB
6 hours/21 GB
Please wait…
Update preparation in progress
3 hours
Enjoy Gran Turismo 6

Last edited:
Well, looks like things are much better than expected once I got GT6. Updates were done flawlessly without pausing more than twice(I only paused twice, after update 4 and update 10). Sure, it took around 4 hours for the updates to be prepared(from 8pm to 9pm, the ETA was in random 3 digit numbers, from 9pm to 9:30, it hung at 8 minutes, from 9:30 to 11:30, it hung at 5 minutes, from 11:30 to 12:15, it hung at 3 minutes, and the updates finished at 12:20.). For some reason despite me running at 1080p there is no flickers or lag, although the console seems to freeze every third race. Thankfully, the console isn't YLOD(yet).

What is even more surprising is that while some simple tracks like Tokyo R246 completely fails to load(the final corner does not load, so I chose not to complete City Trials), the Sierra Time Rally never freezes; in fact, for some reason, the Sierra track is the most reliable track in terms of loading, as while some AI cars fail to load, the entire track loads just fine and I have never crashed the game in Sierra Time Rally. Surprising since Sierra is the second longest track in this game. Still trying to get gold in Event 1; my best is 950k points!

What is even more surprising is that while some simple tracks like Tokyo R246 completely fails to load(the final corner does not load, so I chose not to complete City Trials), the Sierra Time Rally never freezes; in fact, for some reason, the Sierra track is the most reliable track in terms of loading, as while some AI cars fail to load, the entire track loads just fine and I have never crashed the game in Sierra Time Rally. Surprising since Sierra is the second longest track in this game. Still trying to get gold in Event 1; my best is 950k points!
If you got the disc version just delete your Game Data and re-download the updates again, and see if that help your problem with laoding tracks.

Well, I solved this problem by accident; I found it when I tried to turn up the game music, which froze the game. I then found out that some game soundtracks won't play, so I removed those music files on the playlist. Then the game loads much better, up to a point where I can load more than 3 races in succession!

I've done a lot of this in the last week. I'm building a 5 screen GT6 setup - which meant I had to buy 4 PS3's from ebay. - Nice and cheap, but I had to do the updates on all of them! - ended up doing about 3/4 at a time. It might sound a little weird, but the fact that they are not releasing any more updates makes me feel very comfortable. Like everyone I have IPads and Windoze machines that are slowed/hindered/interrupted/crippled by constant updates. My 5 screen GT6 setup may be old and outdated, but I view it as a a piece of hardware that will only require simple mechanical maintenance to give me years of fun, and no outside agent can cripple it more than it already is!
addendum: I will be buying a few extra PS3's to future proof the setup before they turn off the updates!

Last edited:
Well, I solved this problem by accident; I found it when I tried to turn up the game music, which froze the game. I then found out that some game soundtracks won't play, so I removed those music files on the playlist. Then the game loads much better, up to a point where I can load more than 3 races in succession!

Sounds like you need a new HDD or maintenance done on the current one.

Well, the game's running fine now. Why?
The issues you describe are usually a sign of bad sectors on your HDD, If a save file happens to fall under one of those sectors it can become corrupted, or in the case of the sound files not playing or crashing the game.

Do not download the updates all at once or you will have a nightmare, these steps below you will never have a problem with installing the updates.

Step 1. Do the first 6 updates when the 7th update is just about to start, just press the O button on your DS3 to stop the updates from going any further.
Step 2. disable the internet.
Step 3. Start GT6 and let the updates to be installed.
Step 4. Once the updates are installed, go to out of GT6 then enable the internet again.
Step 5. Press on GT6 and do step 1 and 2 and step 3 again until all the updates are installed.
Can I install 6 updates at a time or after the 6th update shall I install them once at a time?

Just install 6 updates at a time and if you want to be safe then do one update at a time, or you can do 2 o 3 at a time my friend.
Great that’s perfect! Formatted my HDD, luckily I’ve still got my save data backed up. This is a nightmare lol. :lol:
Thank you for the response, doing the first 6 tonight then I’ll do another 6 tomorrow. Thanks again. :cheers:

Last edited:
Well... If they say my HDD is problematic, I wonder what should I be doing here... The game runs fine (without the music, so I replaced them with Rage Racer and R4 soundtrack I saved on the PS3), but some said that this would be a part of a bigger problem. I don't want to spend another full day installing updates!
Also I have a G29 now, wonder if I should trade for a G27 or wait until GT7 comes out...

Back