DeLorean S2 (04')

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdrenalineSRX
  • 56 comments
  • 18,827 views
Messages
271
Since when was there such a car. The only DeLoreans that existed were like the 80-83 DMC-12's. DeLorean does not exist anymore and therefore how is it possible to have a 2004 DeLorean. This was posted on the masterlist as..

DMC (1 - 0 - 0)
DeLorean S2 ('04)


I'm not sure what The359 is talking about and can anybody send me the screenshot that shows this vehicle?

Thanks.

P.S. In 1978 Lotus made a vehicle called the S2 Esprit and the DMC-12 DeLorean was based on it. Is that what he means? Like a 1981 DeLorean DMC-12?
 
This has already been discussed here. Was it really necessary to open a new thread for this? There are so many car threads already where you could have asked your question. A search on "delorean" would have helped, too.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
I'm not sure how much a search on "deloren" would help too much, but searching "delorean" might not have been a bad idea ;)
 
If you must know, the S2 is the new DeLorean. The company is trying to create a new DeLorean. This will probably end up as a reproduction of the DMC-12, much like Carol Shelby's "new" Cobras. Think of it as Morgan reproducing the 4/4 or Mini reproducing the Cooper Mini, or even Volkswagen reproducing the original Beetle. Okay, enough said.
 
RoxxorJoorSoxxo
I'm not sure how much a search on "deloren" would help too much, but searching "delorean" might not have been a bad idea ;)
oops, typo! Sorry! :indiff:
 
Classic Anycar
If you must know, the S2 is the new DeLorean. The company is trying to create a new DeLorean. This will probably end up as a reproduction of the DMC-12, much like Carol Shelby's "new" Cobras. Think of it as Morgan reproducing the 4/4 or Mini reproducing the Cooper Mini, or even Volkswagen reproducing the original Beetle. Okay, enough said.

Show us some links... From what I've gathered, the Delorean S2 simply doesn't exist. The rumor that it's some sort of concept supercar is just that, a rumor.. that car was supposed to be built twenty years ago. And then the company went under and John Z spent some time in prison. The only Delorean's in existance are all DMC-12's. The DMC company still exists, but they no longer make cars, they simply refurbish them. And to my knowledge, there are NO plans to begin manufacturing cars again (especially seeing as how DMC has only eleven employees).

The "S2" is either a typo, based on confusion concerning the Esprit S2 which was designed alongside it, or it's some sort of foreign designation (like "Fairlady Z" and "300ZX"), or it's some sort of nickname for the refurbished and upgraded cars that DMC sells. I find it highly unlikely that it's a car that no one in the world has ever heard of before. If John Z or DMC were making a new car, we'd have heard about it.. there would be web pages and stacks and stacks of information. But there's not. Just two photographs of a concept car John Z designed twenty years ago that never got made.
 
They better have the original DMC-12.

Oh by the way I'm sorry that it's so awful I made a thread about this but like big deal I already searched it and didn't find it.
 
Could be some kind of mod-job like the RUF Porsches. Actually make the DMC-12 worth having (:
 
LoudMusic
Could be some kind of mod-job like the RUF Porsches. Actually make the DMC-12 worth having (:

That might be a possibility, too. DMC does offer upgrades to the car. While it doesn't make it a "supercar", it does bring it a lot closer to it's "ideal" setup, the way the car was intended. They juice up the engine from 130hp to 197hp (which at least gives it a respectable chance in a race), and they replace the entire suspension system to lower the car back to it's intended height. Which has the added bonus of improving the handling. Ever notice how high the DMC-12 seems to sit? With all that space between the tires and the wheelwells? It wasn't supposed to be like that. Apparently it was done to accomodate some new road-legal-standard in the U.S... a law that never actually came to be, making the whole thing an "oops". The modifications they do take it back to it's intended height, which looks a helluva lot better. I think they do a few other things to it, but the end result actually makes the car a legitimate sports car instead of just a fancy-looking Sunday driver. You can read up on it on their website (www.delorean.com).

Depending on what version of the DMC-12 they have, I'll have at least two of them, if not three. One in original '81 stock form (if available), one slightly modified to today's standards (197hp, lowered suspension, etc), and one that's beefed up as high as it'll go, to (hopefully) become a racing monster. :)
 
LoudMusic
Could be some kind of mod-job like the RUF Porsches. Actually make the DMC-12 worth having (:

Even though RUF is indepentdent. :)
 
If they do have a DMC-12 in GT4 - will the upgrade area include the 'Flux Capacitor'?
 
And Mr. Fusion?!?!

You won't have to buy fuel for it... you just need to put some rubbish in...

Shame that the car would only ever be able to make it upto 88 MPH before it would bugger off somewhere into a different timezone though!!

C.
 
Just because there are no pictures besides those two on a lot of fan websites, does not mean that the new car does not exist. We've seen many times before that KY has been able to get cars in the game before the public even sees them (See: Toyota MTRC).
 
Including the DeLorean brand without the classic model would be a mistake, its certainly got some history behind it :sly:
 
I defitely agree, the Delorean DMC-12 should be included, yes it may be quite useless to drive, but hey, so is a model t.

DMC-12 is a very interesting car.
 
I agree with what The359 said.

KY released quite alot of cars that we never saw before. Honestly, I never heard of Pagani or Opel until GT3.

I just hope now you'll actually be able to hit 200MPH in a Zonda. I could barely hit 180MPH. That was not realisitic. KY left that out on a lot of cars. I know a good deal of those cars in GT3 could go much faster. The Zonda is a great example.
 
Okay... I got sick of all the conjecture, and solved this the only way I know how. I called DeLorean. :)

I think it's fairly safe to assume this is a typo of some sort... DMC's own sales manager has never even heard of an '04 S2. He confirmed what most of us already know... there is only ONE car that was ever made by DeLorean Motor Company. Ye Olde DMC-12. He didn't know if the car was in the game (as sales manager, he wouldn't have known anything about the license agreement with PD.. probably only the president and vice president would know the specifics), but he did confirm that there's no such thing as an S2, at least as far as he's aware.
 
I think it's fairly safe to assume this is a typo of some sort...

Because a Sales manager doesnt know anything about it? The sales manager probably knows nothing because the car may have never gotten off the drawing table. For all we know, PD may have talked to whoever, maybe even John Delorean(is he still making watches?) who thought it would be a good idea for PD to finish the car in a virtual enviroment. Hes what? about 79 now. The S2 may only exist on his desk as a model or just a drawing on his wall.
 
That's true, but as far as I know, John Z has no relation to DMC anymore. And DMC is the one that licenses the vehicles. And they have a very small staff, since they're basically just a single car dealership and workshop. If something was in the works, all of the employees would know about it.
 
Jedi2016
That's true, but as far as I know, John Z has no relation to DMC anymore. And DMC is the one that licenses the vehicles. And they have a very small staff, since they're basically just a single car dealership and workshop. If something was in the works, all of the employees would know about it.

DMC the car dealership is not the same as DMC the (now defunct) car manufacturer. I suspect the rights still belong to John DeLorean.

Perhaps Polyphony approached John Z to get the rights to the DMC-12, and he said "sure, as long as you also include this new project I'm trying to get off the ground"
 
Actually, DMC does hold the rights. The guy I talked to at DeLorean did confirm that any inclusion of the DeLorean name or vehicle would require licensing from them.

This isn't the first time the car has appeared in a game, either.. R: Racing Evolution included the DMC-12, and the credits listing mentions DeLorean Motor Company (Texas) as the source of the license, which is who I talked to today. The current DMC company (dealership, shop, etc) is the remnant of the original DMC.. they're what's left, which isn't much, but it IS the same company.

As I said before, I don't believe that John Z is in any way affiliated with DMC anymore. After the fiasco back in the '80's, I believe the company was taken away from him (around the same time he was sent to prison). He probably couldn't gain control of it even if he wanted to.
 
Jedi2016
Actually, DMC does hold the rights. The guy I talked to at DeLorean did confirm that any inclusion of the DeLorean name or vehicle would require licensing from them.

mmm.. interesting. I guess that means the inclusion of the DMC-12 is less likely.

It's a slow car but it would be cool to have it in the game. The twin turbo version would especially be a nice inclusion.
 
I don't know if I'd say the DMC-12 is less likely to be there.. We already know they have a license from DMC.. as I've said before, even if there are multiple DeLoreans, it'd be stupid not to put in DMC's most famous car. I'm sure KY would agree with me.
 
I agree, can you imagine how awesome would the reflections on the DMC-12 look???? They almost would have to come up with a different way to process that, since the car is made of stainless steel...
 
The delorean DCM-12 should be in, they wouldn't have DMC and only one prototype unknown car that nobody knows and nothing else....
 
JasonX
I agree, can you imagine how awesome would the reflections on the DMC-12 look???? They almost would have to come up with a different way to process that, since the car is made of stainless steel...

Yes but the DMC-12 is a has satan finish, so it wouldnt refect that much.
 
VIPERGTSR01
Yes but the DMC-12 is a has satan finish, so it wouldnt refect that much.

I think the word is "Satin", rather than "Satan". :)

And you're only partially correct. The DeLorean's body is actually brushed stainless steel. In a manner of speaking, all of the shading on that body is indeed a reflection, since it's still bare metal. But the brushed finish makes that reflection very blurry, to the point where it all sort of runs together, and becomes reflections of general color rather than specific objects (instead of trees and the sky, for example, it reflects a general blue-green color). It should be possible to do this in GT, it all depends on what sort of environment mapping they do with that particular car. They've gotten much better at metallic surfaces lately, so hopefully they'll come up with something. I was rather disappointed in R: Racing Evolution's treatment of the car.. they simply made it dark gray, with the same reflections as every other car. :yuck: But if anyone can do the car justice, I'm sure it's PD. :)
 
Jedi2016
I think the word is "Satin", rather than "Satan". :)

And you're only partially correct. The DeLorean's body is actually brushed stainless steel. In a manner of speaking, all of the shading on that body is indeed a reflection, since it's still bare metal. But the brushed finish makes that reflection very blurry, to the point where it all sort of runs together, and becomes reflections of general color rather than specific objects (instead of trees and the sky, for example, it reflects a general blue-green color). It should be possible to do this in GT, it all depends on what sort of environment mapping they do with that particular car. They've gotten much better at metallic surfaces lately, so hopefully they'll come up with something. I was rather disappointed in R: Racing Evolution's treatment of the car.. they simply made it dark gray, with the same reflections as every other car. :yuck: But if anyone can do the car justice, I'm sure it's PD. :)
Very true. The R:Racing Evolution model was very poor (not to mention the physics). I think PD is capable of doing much better, and I'm sure they will. I bet when they decided to go ahead and include DMC they knew they could do it properly, otherwise they would've kept it out.

I'm really looking forward to see this car in the game, and I think we are all going to be surprised.
 
Back