Gran Turismo 4 online play using LAN features

You connect your PC to the PS2 using a crossover ethernet cable. Then you use XLink Kai on the PC to connect to other players. The PS2 thinks the other player is a PS2 connected in the LAN.

I tried to create an account, but hardly any email providers are supported.

Yes, I used it some to play Gran Turismo 4 online way back in 2005! I also used it to play Socom Combined Assault last year. Believe it or not, there's still an active community of PS2 Socom players who use it.

I'd definitely be down to use Xlink again to race on some old school GT tracks!

I used the information found on this page to get everything set up for Socom. There's also a GT4 tutorial there.

Last edited:
If only I had the technology myself.

It would pretty much give me 0 reasons to be playing GT5P to GT6 over GT4

One thing to point out is that I don't think the NTSC and PAL versions are compatible over LAN, at least that's the case with the Socom games. I have the NTSC version.

So, would anybody with an NTSC GT4 be down to give this a try soon?

Make sure you've downloaded Xlink and have gone through the steps to set everything up first. If we're having problems I might be able to get someone with more experience with Xlink to help us troubleshoot.

My xtag is Brian-.

Last edited:
One thing to point out is that I don't think the NTSC and PAL versions are compatible over LAN
That's correct. The NTSC and PAL versions are not compatible with each other in LAN play.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I thought you said both versions lack the feature for LAN :lol:
Okay, point taken. I should have said the NTSC and PAL versions are not compatible with each other in LAN play.

Previous post corrected.

I read somewhere that older PS2s will require one of those network adapters?

And if you haven't received an email, use mail.com -- it's a free email provider that isn't blocked. In any case, if someone gets this set up, can you tell me how to do it? :D I'll be down for some races (I'm PAL)

If it allows up to 6-player races, we should set up some events etc., maybe with car limitations and the like, akin to the races in GT Mode. I think that'd be a lot of fun :P

Buh, guess I'll have to find one cheap.

Wow -- cheapest I can find on amazon is about £25... Might be a while before I can get online

I thought that the GT4's online servers were closed...
They was In 2006 but that was a public beta and some people found away to connect online with xlink kai.

All i only have is a ps2 network adapter and a long ethernet cable to plug in the router but for some reason whatever game i play i can't connect to online. I think its all due to because of gamespy being shut. Im just gonna have to buy a laptop or pc with xlink kai then....

[QUOtutorial gt-sd, post: 10802744, member: 112915"]Yes, the older "fat" PS2's need a network adapter. The slims already have one built-in.

Here's a tutorial.

It seems I'm the only one with an NTSC copy of GT4 here? I might have to find a PAL copy then.[/QUOTE]
The tutorial looks too long to do and alot if people wouldn't really bother doing it because it would ether cause bugs or they follow everything but don't work

This is technically not online gaming, but LAN gaming over a big distance.

And I don't think there have ever been servers for GT4 :odd:
Yea there actually was an online server that was simple to connect to. That was only from june to september 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Back