Gran Turismo 4 Version Number...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theoretician
  • 4 comments
  • 7,489 views
Messages
27
United States
Princeton, NJ
Messages
Theoretician
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forum (although I've been lurking for quite some time). I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to...

Ever since GT2 was released with numerous bugs (e.g., the bug that deleted the entire garage), and PD/Sony quietly released a bug fix version, I've wondered if it is common practice for multiple versions of a PS2 game to make it onto store shelves.

In PC software, the version number is relatively transparent (e.g., Mac OS X 10.1.x, then 10.2.x, then 10.3.x, ..., with 10.1.1 begin a minor bug fix of 10.1.0, etc.).

So, my question... is there a similar practice in the PS2 game world? Are there multiple release versions of PS2 games? If so, how can we tell the version number? Specifically, has there been multiple release versions of Gran Turismo 4?

I realize that a Greatest Hits release constitutes a new release version in some sense, but here I'm primarily concerned with the actual PS2 software---I often think of Greatest Hits releases as primarily involving cosmetic changes (e.g., box art).

Thanks for the information!

--Gus
 
I don't think they usually do that on PS2 games. But just click the smiley in my sig and you'll see that there may be a new, online GT4 coming out this year.

And it probably won't be like "Gran Turismo 4. Build 1.02" or something like that.
 
I agree, you're not likely to see a Gran Turismo 4, Build 1.0.2, or something like that, but we know from Gran Turismo 2 that, in terms of software release versions, this does happen (and the consumer doesn't usually know about it)---PD/Sony did, in fact, release a bug fix of GT2 (but the average consumer wouldn't have known the difference from the packaging---at least as far as I can tell).

I guess my question is... is this common, or was Gran Turismo 2 a very rare exception? Also, is there anyway to tell the release version of a PS2 game, for example GT4? Or is this information not published.

Thanks,

Gus
 
In North America GT1 had two different versions discernable because the GameShark addresses were different. They were informally known as v1.0 and v1.1.

When I tracked down an old version (actually my second; I wanted one which would load Arcade as well as Simulation :) ), we (the guy at EB Games and I) did it by looking at the little numbers embossed into the hub of the CD. We didn't find an exact match for my original one, but a close number did turn out to also be "v1.0".

I'm not sure if DVD's have the same type of numbers or not. In any case, two disks with the same numbers would be the same. Two disks with different numbers might or might not be the same.
 
The only different versions of GT4are in different regions, ie the Korean version has a few evtra Korean cars and a really cool IS200 GT1 race car. The American and European versions don't have thoes cars, they do have more cars than the Japanese versions but oddly no Mini Cooper. However no region has more than one version of the game in terms of the actual data on the disk, theres no GT4 PAL version 1.2 or NTSC version 1.2 ect.
 
Back