Gran Turismo 4 vs Gran Turismo 3

• Thread starter GT BOSS
  • 18 comments

GT BOSS

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I know there are more cars in Gran Turismo 4 but what are the technical and graphical differences between them both?

Last edited:
Graphically, they're rather similar, although GT3 is more colorful.

For difficulty, GT3 is generally a harder game since the AI gets more aggressive boosts even in the Amateur class (supposed to be medium difficulty). Also, the game is less generous when it comes to rewards.

Physics-wise, the game is less advanced but allows for looser handling. Cars will drift more easily and slide recovery is more progressive.

Menus are much simpler and load quickly, which improves the game flow and gets you in the action sooner.

Personally, I like GT3 when I want a quick game but I tend to prefer GT4's variety.

The variety of cars in GT4 was borderline amazing and insane (duplicates! duplicate! duplicate '91-edition!), but it felt a lot more like work at times; since there were a lot of different varieties of races, there were plenty of other depth and areas of the game to have fun with, even if you didn't care for Missions and the like. FF cars handled like...well, like most FF cars. I think they could have made that part a little less realistic in the name of "fun". I'm still not sure what the point of B-spec was, other than to add a pointless aspect to the game...why not just have horse racing, or any other parimutuels? Today's Special wheels was my favorite non-racing parts of the game, kind of wish it was in GT5. Prize cars weren't much of a selection - take it or leave it.

GT3 had an interesting flow to it, the prize cars could either be tremendously rewarding or an extended middle finger, and the inconsistent AI was obnoxious at times. I felt like too many of the cars handled too similarly from one to another - with obvious exceptions - it seemed like the initial handling characteristics of many GT3 cars seemed straight out of the original GT, compared to even GT2 and GT4. The races didn't seem long, but it sure seemed like slow-going getting out of the Beginner Series. Also, silly pit scheduling by the AI. If I'm not mistaken, the so-called "emotion" physics would hit you back in retaliation if you didn't make room on the first pass, something it didn't do in any other games in the series.

All in all, you could live without GT3, and wouldn't miss much. But it definitely wasn't bad.

Edit: Just realized our so-called GT BOSS (the OP) should have known these differences, but he's GT Banned.

In my opinion, I think that GT3 is more enjoyable than GT4. I guess I'm used to the physics in GT3 and when I play GT4 the steering seems too stiff.

Car-wise, GT4 has over 700 and more modifications to play around with. GT3 barely has more cars than in GT1.

As for tracks, GT3 wins because of Complex String, Smokey Mountain and SSR11.

I realize there are many who would disagree, but for me the key difference is that GT4 is a lot more fun and just plain playable than GT3.

I recall GT3 as mostly being endless grinding on Test Track and the Motegi oval. Bo-o-oring.

I despised Complex String, the GT3 version of SSR 11 is wussy compared to the GT1 version, and the GT series never got off-road right so although Smokey Mountain could have been interesting, it wasn't anything special.

Just my opinions here.

I find GT3 to be the "more fun" kind of game. I can jump into a race with 3 seperate car classes, all with decent car selection, pick a well designed track race. (Although I much rather enjoy racing in the "drift" mode in arcade) and then bam, 10 seconds later I have a race. The physics are actually rather tolerable in gt3. Gt4 just seemed way to stiff in most (if not all) cases. Drifting was impossible, the ai was a lot more conservative if you ask me. The races were just a little too easy to win as apposed to gt3's game style. The only time I had difficulty was either in the rally courses, the driving missions, or the licenses. Turn off all aids in both games, run monaco in a f1 in gt3 and in gt4 and compare the two. Gt4 is just too forgiving to me and therefore lost the edge. Sure gt4 had better tracks and more car selection, but gt3 to me is king for me. The awesome 4 replay camera modes, the somewhat actual purpose to arcade mode (clear status), the challenging races in the expert series (all ai was given turbo kits and better tires), the simplistic menu's, the actual ability to LOAD a game file after starting a game (not having to reset the system to load a different memory card) the ability to trade, being able to run your garage cars in arcade mode... I absolutely loved gt4, but gt3 has my heart out of the gt series.

GT3 has better AI. I remember doing the Aston Martin Event in GT4 with a stock DB9, no modifications whatsoever. I had the AI blitzed in the first few corners...

GT3 has better AI. I remember doing the Aston Martin Event in GT4 with a stock DB9, no modifications whatsoever. I had the AI blitzed in the first few corners...

It's no smarter than GT4's AI, actually. The only reason GT3's AI drives fast is because of good ol' rubber-banding. The faster you are, the better the AI's car becomes. The AI itself is still stupid.

I liked GT4 better that GT3 because aftre a wile of playing GT4 you will eventually know where and when the AI will break (AI break randemly in GT3) and you will soon pick on the AI's racing line(AI in GT3 are all over the place) and the AI in GT4 are more forgiving than the ones in GT3

I'm still not sure what the point of B-spec was, other than to add a pointless aspect to the game...

Edit: Just realized our so-called GT BOSS (the OP) should have known these differences, but he's GT Banned.

I partially agree, I didn't like that it was "either" A or B Spec, there was no discerning between the 2 since your A or B spec "level" was meaningless. At least in GT5, you had to do races in A and B spec, and we're rewarded for both.

I do remember those 24 hour A Spec races--hated pausing the console for hours until the update came out to save in-race. In GT4 I B Specced only the 24 hour races, and I did some tours in those on A Spec. Had some issues at Le Mans with the G27, but that's another thread.

CDub

I just bought a Platinum edition of GT3 A spec, and have spent a little while on the Arcade mode. Having played GT4 for a while now i noticed straight away that GT3 has more oversteer and less understeer than GT4, the car graphics are similar but the dials are much worse than in GT4. Also, in GT3, colliding with another car sends at least one car well out of its way, whereas in GT4 it is much more subtle.
however, having only bought it so that i have another piece of the Gran Turismo story, i was wondering are there any GT3 "exclusive" cars that can be transferred onto GT4, even just different liveried versions of the same cars?

What do you mean by 'transferred'? Cars that weren't in GT4 don't move across via your save game, if that is what you mean.

There are numerous cars exclusive to GT3 and haven't made a return since (not even GT6). Some were in GT2 though:

BMW 328Ci (E46)
Toyota GT-One Road Car
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII Rally Car Prototype
Gillet Vertigo (1997 spec; different to the '04 model)
Ford GT40 Road Car

The F1 cars in the NTSC versions of the game were copies of famous real-world F1 cars from the 80s and 90s (driven by the likes of Senna and Nigel Mansell) in both looks and statistics. In the PAL versions, they were only 2 F1 cars, which were just generic, fictional variants. Neither of the two car types reappeared in GT4, where it was replaced by the Formula GT.

A lot of the Championships offer normal, buyable cars in a unique colour as rewards. Examples include a gold Suzuki Alto Works, a pink Toyota Yaris/Vitz, an orange Celica GT-Four, a yellow Evo IV and so on. The colours chosen are usually ones that are available on other models made by the same manufacturer (e.g. a Subaru Legacy in Cashmere Yellow; the yellow comes from one of the Imprezas), but some are just weird.

Pretty much all you can transfer from GT3 to GT4 is credit for the first two licenses and a hundred thousand credits. No cars.

Latest Posts

Back