Gran Turismo 5 vs Gran Turismo 6

Gran Turismo 5 vs Gran Turismo 6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poland
Poland
Which one is better? Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 6? I think that GT5 works smoother and looks a little bit better, it also has big selection of cars in arcade mode. Gran Turismo 6 has more content and new tracks but arcade mode car selection is small

GT5
+ Course maker
+ More custom race options
+ Endurance races
+ Night time lighting is spectacular
- Menu is buggy and can make the game crash
- Long loading times
- Paint chip system
- Brakes are unbalanced, you need to reduce rear braking force a lot before you can race with ABS 0

GT6
+ More varied events (including Goodwood Hillclimb and Sierra Time Rally)
+ More cars and tracks
+ "Open" tracks (Silverstone, Willow Springs, Ascari), allowing you to go quite far off road if you so desire.
+ Much bigger list of classic cars
+ Standard cars are better integrated in the game (and some of them upgraded to "semi-premium")
+ Better driving physics
+ All standard cars are available in the dealership
+ Standard cars fully integrated in photo mode
+ More and better customization options
+ Better AI
+ Some cars are using adaptive tessellation, giving higher model resolution (especially in photo mode)
- Cars are kind of ugly in garage view (odd lighting and field of view)
- Less of an incentive to collect cars, since you can buy any standard car whenever you want

I like how GT5 is not as restrictive for cars in races as compared to GT6 with its performance points. What's the point of having cars in the game like the Formula Gran Turismo if the PP is so high you can't use it?

But what I like about GT6 is the fact you can choose A-Spec or B-Spec before each race, whereas in GT5 they're two separate sections altogether.

Which one is better? Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 6? I think that GT5 works smoother and looks a little bit better, it also has big selection of cars in arcade mode. Gran Turismo 6 has more content and new tracks but arcade mode car selection is small
I’m finding GT5 is more enjoyable, the handling of each car is a little more unique and cars respond more to tuning changes. GT6 had a major patch midway through that neutered all cars handling.

Graphics, particularly standard cars, is brutal in GT5 but can be ignored in setting the driving view.

AI seems better in GT5 Arcade Mode, they actually bump and fight a bit.

GT5 has the speed and acceleration tests which show the cars are more realistic, GT6 cars are way too fast for a given horsepower, so that’s too arcade-ish and juvenile.

Now that GT6 is offline and GTS has moved in another direction from the old original formats that we all so loved over the years, GT5 2.11 along with Garage Editor is a no brainer for me. Of course I still love GT4 and the older versions as well, but GT5 running in 1080P (not i) makes it my number one choice over all the others for offline content and fun.

Last edited:
If you play GT as your personal game, GT5 is much more enjoyable. Also, you could use GE to personalize a car you'd like but it's something that can be controversial for others. The game also has a much better looking menu than the plain jane one found in GT6. Then there's several modes for racing like the rally ones, a/b specs then track maker and many more. The main problem i found here that can be bothersome is that it's slow and could hang occasionally.

GT6 obviously has more tracks, more premium cars and you could modify your cluster while racing but I think that's it. Apart from that, I don't think there's something special in GT6 that would compel me to play it more than its predecessor, unless maybe it also has a GE similar to what fans made for GT5 but I'm only gonna use it for personal reasons, not to troll around online or what others might think. Too bad though it doesn't (well, there is but you need cfw to use it).

I like both games but gt5 takes the cake on everything besides car upgrades/parts and the car list.
The career is way better in gt5
And you can do modding for cars unlike gt6
Bigger garage space than gt6.
Better physics to me
+Machine test not included in gt6
Hidden cool parts

The bad part obout gt5 was the upgrades for cars if you don't talk about the modding.

For me GT5 is better.. I wanted to start one of those 2 from beginning and I found my GT5 disc first and couldn't even be bothered to look where GT6 one is..
GT5 also was better online.. Remember shuffle races? I really don't understand why they removed those.. They were so fun..
And when buying cars, you are actually happy when you find the car you like in GT5 unlike GT6 where you can just buy anything..

As far as I am concerned, the main difference is that GT5 career mode has the full set of enduros up to 24 hours. I like the shorter ones such as Grand Valley, Laguna and Nurburgring. GT6 has 24 minute enduros, which has its attractions of tire wear and fuel consumption, but not a real test of endurance.

Side by side, what's on the disc and downloadable, GT6 is better. Better track selection and obviously some newer cars added. The C7 Vette is tunable and I have 40 in my garage, and all different. Some features in GT5 were better, such as the ability to delete paint chips that you don't want, but in GT6 you don't have to buy another car to gain. 5 is good, 6 is better.

Custom tracks were better in 6 until PD totally dropped the ball and did not figure a way for us to keep when servers were shut down. Can still build in 5 but no longer share. To me, of all the GT games, this was the biggest fail.
But just wait until Sport has it's servers plug pulled.

Comes down to opinion, I like 6 and continue to play even now. And I don't HAVE to do B-Spec.

Side by side, what's on the disc and downloadable, GT6 is better. Better track selection and obviously some newer cars added. The C7 Vette is tunable and I have 40 in my garage, and all different. Some features in GT5 were better, such as the ability to delete paint chips that you don't want, but in GT6 you don't have to buy another car to gain. 5 is good, 6 is better.

Custom tracks were better in 6 until PD totally dropped the ball and did not figure a way for us to keep when servers were shut down. Can still build in 5 but no longer share. To me, of all the GT games, this was the biggest fail.
But just wait until Sport has it's servers plug pulled.

Comes down to opinion, I like 6 and continue to play even now. And I don't HAVE to do B-Spec.
I have 5 & 6 my friend, but after I settle in to our new house I may only play GT6 :). Ok GT5 has got the garage editor and I like using it but to me it destroys the game, ok the 2 games have got the pros & cons in the game like GT5 has got a better career mode than 6, but 5 seems in a lower class game than 6.
So to me GT6 wins by a long nose.

I forgot about one thing which is better in GT6 than GT5; personalizing your cars. You can customize them more aesthetically according to your own taste because obviously, there's much more selections when it comes to choosing wheels, wings, as well as you can put a number to your car, all of which are good. Because before, it's just so stupid in GT5 that prior to spec 2.0, you cannot customize the wheels or add wings to any standard car in the game, that is, if the car allows you to modify so. And even if does let you for both premium and standard cars, the selections are far too short compared to GT6. So yes, that's a good advantage there for the latter game.

This is another thing why I will play GT6 a lot more than 5 now.
How I wish that GT5 already has plethora of options for those things. But even in GT6, I highly doubt that you could still customize race cars, something which is annoying. Well, that's stupid PD logic for ya.

GT5.

While 6 was alright and did improve on 5’s supposed flaws, it felt more like the Windows 7 to GT5’s Vista SP2 to me, if that makes sense: a very similar game, the older game being hated immensely due to its launch, but by 2.17 it (GT5) had matured into a pretty good game.

Anyhow, GT5 had better menus, more of an incentive to collect as someone else said, and while it wasn’t perfect it definitely matured and thanks to an actually working course editor, it has quite a lot of replay value in the offline arcade mode (not to mention the variety of cars included in that mode reminds me of GT2)

Oh and don’t get me started on GT6’s pathetic update system.

I answered GT5 before playing GT6 again.. Now when playing GT6.. I can answer that GT5 is better.. GT6 is cooler in sense of more premium cars and more classic and for me cool cars(abarth, ferrari, diablo, vintage cars).. Than more circuits also.. And also I really enjoyed Sierra, Goodwood and Senna events.. But it just feels so user friendly, it's even easier than 5.. It shouldn't be like that.. Someone said AI is better.. It's more intelligent but it's far worst AI I ever saw..
I don't know if I should buy ps4 and new wheel to play GTS.. I feel I'll be disappointed with that to since I just want to race against GT fans. . I somehow feel that PD is trying to be more approachable to everyone(well obviously... they need money) but it lost GT feeling along the way..
But if I could chose, I would just put cars, tracks and new events in gt5 to have more content.. Make everything little bit harder and with online mode from gt5, it would be great game..

I answered GT5 before playing GT6 again.. Now when playing GT6.. I can answer that GT5 is better.. GT6 is cooler in sense of more premium cars and more classic and for me cool cars(abarth, ferrari, diablo, vintage cars).. Than more circuits also.. And also I really enjoyed Sierra, Goodwood and Senna events.. But it just feels so user friendly, it's even easier than 5.. It shouldn't be like that.. Someone said AI is better.. It's more intelligent but it's far worst AI I ever saw..
I don't know if I should buy ps4 and new wheel to play GTS.. I feel I'll be disappointed with that to since I just want to race against GT fans. . I somehow feel that PD is trying to be more approachable to everyone(well obviously... they need money) but it lost GT feeling along the way..
But if I could chose, I would just put cars, tracks and new events in gt5 to have more content.. Make everything little bit harder and with online mode from gt5, it would be great game..
If I were you I would not worry about a PS4 but I will buy a wheel to play GT5 & 6, GTS is a big fat let down game for me. I want a real GT7 with online Time Trials and Drift events and leaderboard like it was in GT6, and that was fun but very sadly PD took it away for GTS, if PD used their brains and put those things that I mentioned in GTS, well I would be still be playing that game.

I still prefer GT6 over GT5 is because I found tuning up cars are better to tune in GT6 than 5, so 5 can go back in the draw for now.

If I were you I would not worry about a PS4 but I will buy a wheel to play GT5 & 6, GTS is a big fat let down game for me. I want a real GT7 with online Time Trials and Drift events and leaderboard like it was in GT6, and that was fun but very sadly PD took it away for GTS, if PD used their brains and put those things that I mentioned in GTS, well I would be still be playing that game.

I still prefer GT6 over GT5 is because I found tuning up cars are better to tune in GT6 than 5, so 5 can go back in the draw for now.
I see you. You are not the Only one that want a proper gt7. I play gt sport but it dosent fel like full proper gt game, of course it has become better since launch. The thing i Love in gt sport over previous gran turismo games is graphics and the major improvement in car sounds, they don't sounds like vacuum cleaners anymore. But as far for pretty Much rest is a bit of of let down. The tuning is the worst one if you count out gt5 prolugue. I want upgrades oarts back. Same goes for gt auto, and custom parts section. Better career mode and more cars and tracks. I don't care for the Fia championchip. But if they could add the features from gt6 and combine that with the good stuff with gt sport you have your self a pretty good gt7. If we end up with 500/600 cars with next gt. I won't be to bad. Now when every car have more detail and better sound

@fordlaser
Yes, I think so too. I play gt5 and gt6 with Dfgt ( im useless with controller ) and only thing I miss is actual racing.. That's I was thinking about gts.. I was always pretty fast in races and challenges in game regarding time are for 10 year olds to be ablde to get gold.

Each one has their advantages and disadvantages depending on what parts of the game a buyer player likes the most. I never really cared about online abilities, so for me this is what it comes down to... The one thing that GT5 has above all the other GT games is obviously the Garage Editor. I never used it for cheating in any fashion though. For me I loved all the abilities it offers when used properly to it's fullest. Besides allowing cool car hybrids and much more other cool stuff like getting 20 Million Dollar cars instantly, but for me it really comes down to racing at the end of the day. I've always hated the selection of cars one is given when doing races that under real conditions would never ever happen. The Garage Editor allows and has a function that lets you pick out the AI cars you are competing against, hence you can make any races and replays much more realistic especially if posting a video of the race. In other words when I run my GT-R at the Green Hell Nordschleife I prefer to not to end up passing the 1960's Mark IV GT40 Le Mans winner or a one off multi million dollar Concept car for examples. On the GT6 positive side ya can't beat all those additional new cars to try and those new extra circuits like Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Bathhurst, Willow Springs, and the like. So here's the answer folks... keep your PS2 and PS3 hooked up and play them all for the best of all worlds in GT. I still play GT3-4-5-6 regularly and bounce back and forth and never get bored with so much content in all 4 of the GT series and I'm still finding new stuff too. My impossible wish list that will never ever happen is for a GT7 that consolidates and remasters all of them with modern graphic technology etc. Now that I'd play online and pay big bucks for... :cheers:. Oh... I always like to post a pic when I do a post so here's a favorite of mine...

Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66 Special Color 5727cc-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking back on GT5 having experienced GT6 makes me regret having said the negative things I said years ago. The experience system wasn't bad, it gave incentive to play and redo the career events. The main flaw with it was how much XP was needed for the higher levels and lack of appropriate rewards past level 20. It felt unbalanced a bit, but the concept itself was good and I actually legitimately miss it when I play GT6. In GT6 I feel there isn't much incentive to redo the career events once I have done them and in turn that makes it difficult to get enough money to buy cars.

I also liked the menu setup of GT5 more than GT6. GT6 feels very depressing overall in its tone which doesn't fit Gran Turismo. The New Car dealership in GT5 is beautiful and when I used to play GT5 I would sometimes just leave that menu on and watch the light reflect on the car and listen to the bossa nova music. It was awe-inspiring. The lighting in GT6 car dealership is like the rest of the game-very depressing.

GT6 has more cars and tracks, and better physics, but lacks the feeling of being Gran Turismo.

Looking back on GT5 having experienced GT6 makes me regret having said the negative things I said years ago. The experience system wasn't bad, it gave incentive to play and redo the career events. The main flaw with it was how much XP was needed for the higher levels and lack of appropriate rewards past level 20. It felt unbalanced a bit, but the concept itself was good and I actually legitimately miss it when I play GT6. In GT6 I feel there isn't much incentive to redo the career events once I have done them and in turn that makes it difficult to get enough money to buy cars.

I also liked the menu setup of GT5 more than GT6. GT6 feels very depressing overall in its tone which doesn't fit Gran Turismo. The New Car dealership in GT5 is beautiful and when I used to play GT5 I would sometimes just leave that menu on and watch the light reflect on the car and listen to the bossa nova music. It was awe-inspiring. The lighting in GT6 car dealership is like the rest of the game-very depressing.

GT6 has more cars and tracks, and better physics, but lacks the feeling of being Gran Turismo.

GT6 is much more friendly to newcomers. I get what you mean by it doesn't feel like Gran Turismo but the older games in the series made seeking help a necessity.

GT6 teaches you most of what you need to know. I don't regret going to Xbox but I certainly miss GT6's suspension model. In my opinion it was the first game to get it right on console. A real game changer. Before 6 you kind of had to guess.

GT6 is much more friendly to newcomers. I get what you mean by it doesn't feel like Gran Turismo but the older games in the series made seeking help a necessity.

GT6 teaches you most of what you need to know. I don't regret going to Xbox but I certainly miss GT6's suspension model. In my opinion it was the first game to get it right on console. A real game changer. Before 6 you kind of had to guess.
GT6 may be friendly to newcomers but the longer you play the game, the more you feel like it's somehow boring. Maybe I'm saying this because I got used to the features of its predecessor which I found more enjoying even during these days but of course, that's just me though.

GT was never friendly to newcomers type of thing.. I guess they need to do that for selling records.. I'm on 85% of the game competition now and started playing little over month ago.. Golded everything easily, just have bunch of races (which are probably be horribly boring since rubber band AI in GT6 is worse AI in any game ever) .. I mean more tracks are great, special events are kind of better than gt5 ... Goodwood, Senna and Sierra are cool.. If someone gave me this game and I finished it, I'd say it's kind of a good game.. But it's not particularly good Gran Turismo... GT5 is far better even tho GT5 for me was little bit disappointing too after promising GT5P..

• GT5 has dumbed down physics (the 2010 GT Academy GT5 demo had great physics), GT6's physics are way better & the FFB is the best it's ever been in the series.
  • GT5 has a much better graphics engine, & much less aliasing. GT6 has extremely poorly implemented depth of field effects, & eye-bleedingly awful aliasing.
  • GT5 has loads of bling, from the car dealerships to the showcase menu demos. GT6 has "Hitlers Bunker"! Some of the VGT locations look okay though.
  • GT5 has really slow menus (it takes 10 seconds just to load the replay theatre), while GT6's are lightning fast.

As someone who has pretty much zero interest in GT games, other than racing online & watching replays, it's a hard call for me to make. However, seeing as I can still watch replays in GT5, I'll choose that one. If I had to drive in GT5 or GT6 again, I'd choose GT6 for it's super detailed & realistic FFB plus better physics model.

👍

The one GT5 feature I miss is the testing facility, it made fine tuning launches, gear changes and seeing the effects of upgrades so much easier. Wanting to test changes or practice in GT6 involves lots of jumping in and out of time trials and trying to find sections of track that applied.

GT6. A race game with no racing in it.

GT5. The last of the proper Gran Turismo games. Still playable today. From a new user account stepping through licences and special events easily gets you into the 20's level wise and nearly all of the non endurance races are available after that. Practice mode has single make races where all you need do is drop your tyre grade to get a reasonable race. Same thing works in arcade mode.

GT6 has more cars and tracks but less - in fact nothing - except time attacking to do with them. It's still fun, but only in a chase the rabbit while dodging the immobile chicanes sort of way.

Latest Posts

Back