Gran Turismo 6 at techingames.net

• Thread starter Arwin
  • 4 comments
Hi Guys,

I'm a very, very old resident of GTPlanet (as you can see from the left). I am a (not very talented) programmer who a long time ago wrote some tools like the GT3 Replay Browser, that you could use to look at your GT3 replays in Action Replay Max format.

Haven't been active much here lately, but what I have been doing lately is build a website that is my own ideal game for tracking everything about a game you'd conceivibly want to track. As Gran Turismo just got its 16th patch, I thought it would be a great fit to document the game here, and I am hoping that you guys might like to use it as a database for new versions of the game being released, new issues being discovered, etc.

What makes this site unique are two major features:

1. You can track everything per game version. Reviews, issues, user reviews, credits, notes, links, etc.
2. You can track features, also of course per game version.

These features are a user editable database in itself, and endless features can be added for tracking. If you wanted to make a way of tracking in what racing games car x has featured, down to what version it was in, you can do it (though if we start doing this for 1200 cars, please use grouping per make ;) ). You can choose what type of feature (flag, numeric field, text, etc.), and it's all just a few clicks away, and from then on you can track that feature for every game and every version.

Game overviews intelligently summarize the features according to what has been entered. The data is accessible to external sites in jsonp, html and odata formats. You can report on features or groups of features, search, filter, etc. You can add features to your favorites and report only on them.

You can also do things like review a specific feature implementation. For instance, review the support for the Driving Force Pro in the game. Or how good the 3D support is.

I've been working on this site in my spare time the last 4 months, and am quite happy with the result. Hope you guys find some use for it, and perhaps enjoy helping me to get the database entry on Gran Turismo 6 in great shape.

I have no commercial interest with this site at heart. If at some point the site is used so much that I'd need to pay a lot more money than now, I'll start some kind of crowd-funding or donation setup.

If you run into any issues, have any questions or are missing any features, feel free to write here or post a comment on the site. I often will update the site within a day.

Kind regards and hopefully enjoy!

Arwin
www.techingames.net

I've implemented platform filters all around, so if you're only interested in one or two platforms, you can add those to your user filters (go to platforms, click details on one of them, go to user filters, click add and save - all defaults are set correctly). Now if you search, view overviews, etc., it will only show games for that/those platform(s).

I've now also implemented the feature filters for value entry, and cleaned up the feedback on entered values. You no longer get a popup, but color coded feedback on the value that was updated, and if there was a (validation) error, you get to see that message too.

For instance, here I've added same device multiplayer to my user filters, and because I have a feature filter, it will default to showing the filtered list here.

As the Same Device also has child items, the tree appears as usual for me to expand.

ajax_update_with_feedback.png

Together with this I've also made some efficiency improvements when entering a new game, it will forward you to the new version page, showing only your favorite platforms if you have any, and filling in all the default information so you basically only have to check the region and the releasedate. After that, it will go straight to that version's features so you can enter those. Once that's done you can do sync or copy to create the other versions and tweak those values from there.

Though interest seems to be a bit low, just wanted to share that our first forum integration just went live!

Beyond3D.com's forums now support tags to integrate information from www.techingames.net into forum posts and threads. For this first attempt, the iframe embedding with resizing support was chosen over the odata integration because it allows www.techingames.net to take care of the layouting of the data, which would otherwise be a lot of work on the beyond3d forum side. I'm very happy that we got here, so onwards and upwards!

Beyond3D is using tig, tig_compact, and tig_graphics (it's a graphics focussed forum after all) as layout tags to integrate information, as well as tig: in the metatags of a thread. For more information, see:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/www-techingames-net-integration-faq.56893

To support the integration, the background color of embedded pages is now transparent, which helps with different display themes, and we've also added a display=GameRow option, which looks better at the top or bottom of a thread than the current badge shown by display is Game.

Anyway, we've made it super easy to integrate now, so if you're interested, let us know?

Kind regards,
Arwin

GT6 is on it's last legs, but I think your site might take off when GT7 comes out.

All the best!

:cheers:

Back