Gran Turismo 6 Beginners Guide to Drifting (DS3 Users)

• Thread starter andy0a
  • 20 comments
United States
Stanton, California
aphan111
Hey guys its Andy over here with a tutorial for drifting for DS3 users on GT6. I actually use a G27 wheel to drift, and applying certain real world drifting techniques work, with the exception that if you spin out in GT6, your car flipping over and imminent death is erased. I decided to make this tutorial out of respect to those who can't afford a wheel setup or can't borrow one, and since the first week of GT6 I drifted with DS3 until I got the G27 from a friend.

Contents:
1. Controller Setup
2. (Optional) Some cool drifting tunes lol
3. Car Selection
4. (Optional but recommended) Tuning for a drift setup
5. Tire Selection
6. Course for Practicing
7. Actual Drifting

Controller Setup

For a controller setup on a drift, I recommend using the L2 and R2 buttons as your brake and gas respectively. Throttle control is beyond important, so the usual X and Square won't cut it. For shifting, you can go with L1 for downshift and R1 for upshift, but I use the right thumbstick, as it looks like a gear leverish and I think its much more smooth and seamless for shifting. This is a recommended setup so whatever works best go for it, except you should go for a brake and gas setup that gives you some control.

My Setup as of now:
L2 Brake R2 Gas
Right Stick Shift Up/Down

Cool Drifting Tunes

This might seem like a joke, but playing music that keeps you in the game and relaxed helps me drift better. Both IRL and in game, I don't like playing heavy techno electro music unless I'm racing, but playing those tunes while drifting makes me develop lead foot and possibly oversteer. I recommend using some chill rap or hip hop, I listen to CYNE and Cise Star and Nujabes as some examples.

Car Selection

Now for beginners, having the right car is everything. You can't just go out and buy a Lamborghini and go take it for a spin assuming that your Initial D and can drift to your tofu deliveries (only Initial D fans will understand). Having the right first practice car is important to hone your skills. As always, these cars are suggestions, and they are mighty cheap too so don't worry about it burning a hole in your credit wallet. These cars are not listed in any particular order, but they are all FR. (lol at FF drifting)

1. Silvia K '88 or '90 18,860 and 22,390 Credits Respectively
1. Tied, Any Silvia basically lol, besides the racing spec ones.
2. Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ/86 GT 30,000 Credits
3. Corolla Levin or Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex 15,360 Credits
4. Mx-5/Miatas 17,000+ Credits
5. Rx-7 15,000+ Credits depending on year

I started off with the 86 Toyota GT, and now I'm currently using the Supra RZ.

Tuning For Drifting

Now this is purely optional, I didn't really do much of this in GT5, but a tiny bit in GT6. Because of the new physics and suspension and tire models in GT6, drifting has a very more precise and definitive detail, because of this, many had to "relearn" drifting when transcending from GT5 to GT6. For tuning the usual setup would be a stiff front spring, and a soft rear suspension, a lower front end and a higher rear end.

No exact numbers to display here, as I am not a prominent user, I will update this with more info as I go, but the general understanding so far is stiffer front springs and softer rear springs.

Tire Selection

Picking your tire is the important part for drifting. It is near impossible to drift in slicks, even with a handbrake pull. I recommend going for at the most a Sports Hard, and if you feel that its harder to break traction, go down a pair, but the usual starting point is to try Comfort Mediums.

Course for Practicing

Theres many good courses out there for drifting. Here are a list of some of my favorites.

Tsukuba Circuit, Suzuka Circuit (both layouts), Indy Road Course, Special Stage Route 5.

I'd go with Tsukuba, it has a good assortment of corners to practice on, an extended corner, a few hairpins, and one or two small S bends.

The Actual Drifting Part

When it comes to drifting, lets look at Tsukuba, assuming you have picked a Silvia per se. Turning off all aids besides ABS to 1, lets begin.

In test drive, it preps you up for the long extended corner, don't try to drift, just get a feel for the car, test how much it grips and when the tires start to bite. In the Silvia, they hold on just enough, not too much crazy oversteer.

Then comes the long straight, hold your car into 3rd gear, when the hairpin arrives, drop into 2nd, lower to 45-50mph, and pull your car to the left, then turn right, and while doing so apply some throttle. The key is to turn in before entering (use the bump strips as an indicator). While doing so, throttle control and countersteer, (turn the steering in the other direction your car is going) for throttle control, just tap the Gas a few times, as countersteer will hold your car at an angle, while applying more gas will turn it and angle it more, when you see the corner exit, apply more throttle so your car is truly sideways, but only at corner exits as it has more turning room or else you risk a spin out.

I like drifting in 3rd person car view as it gives me a perspective on my car more.

Next is the S bend leading to the hairpin, drifting here is optional but not recommended for beginners. When approaching the hairpin, a rule of thumb is to stay one gear above the recommended gear for a racing line (1st gear turn= 2nd gear drift). As with hairpins, stay in a 45-50mph drift and apply the same techniques as the first hairpin, turning right and then turning left and applying throttle, flicking it in, this makes it easier to break traction, drifting in before the corner. When drifting, you lose about 10-15mph when you enter, losing any more speed will stop your car dead.

After that comes a slight right turn corner, apply the same techniques staying in 2nd, then for a challenge instead of recovering from that drift, turn left and hit third and try to maintain another drift.

Hairpin on next turn, same as usual for hairpins, then comes the long straight. Next comes the final turn, the extended corner, I recommend staying in 3-4th gear at about 75-80mph, it is a bit tricky so expect spin outs or off tracks here, turn left then turn in right and throttle, applying throttle at times just to maintain the drift, and always countersteer. While drifting you should be somewhere between 60ish mph to a minimum of maybe 55.

There you go, you drifted the whole circuit of Tsukuba. Good Luck and if you see any problems with this feel free to point it out constructively.

Tips

Drifting physics works opposite of racing physics, too much throttle into a corner while racing will give you oversteer, for drifting, entering into a drift for a corner at too high speeds will understeer you and off the track you go, and vice versa.

Countersteering while applying some throttle will keep your car at a certain angle, on extended corners and certain hairpins, if you want to corner better and feel that you might understeer off the track, apply some more throttle and ease off the countersteer to angle your car more.

Instead of doing the Scandinavian Flick (turn left then right into a right corner or vice versa) you can do handbrakes, though it is easier to break traction, maintaining it is much more difficult, as you might hold onto the handbrake too long, or if the 4 wheels break traction, you might spin out.

Thx @jakeBG18 I'll try it out. I'm thinking that any good beginners car is generally a light car 1200-1400kg with a moderate hp supply about 150-200ish you know. Weight distribution doesn't have to be amazing. I remember practicing with a miata IRL though, lovely car to thrash about in.

Thx @jakeBG18 I'll try it out. I'm thinking that any good beginners car is generally a light car 1200-1400kg with a moderate hp supply about 150-200ish you know. Weight distribution doesn't have to be amazing. I remember practicing with a miata IRL though, lovely car to thrash about in.
The autozam is really good its around 800kg with 160ish hp fully tuned.slap some comfort hards and go to the gt arena and its a great car to learn in.It's MR too so it kind of teaches you to learn with a different weight balance too.

Hey guys its Andy over here with a tutorial for drifting for DS3 users on GT6. I actually use a G27 wheel to drift, and applying certain real world drifting techniques work, with the exception that if you spin out in GT6, your car flipping over and imminent death is erased. I decided to make this tutorial out of respect to those who can't afford a wheel setup or can't borrow one, and since the first week of GT6 I drifted with DS3 until I got the G27 from a friend.

Contents:
1. Controller Setup
3. Car Selection
5. Tire Selection
6. Course for Practicing
7. Actual Drifting

Controller Setup

For a controller setup on a drift, I recommend using the L2 and R2 buttons as your brake and gas respectively. Throttle control is beyond important, so the usual X and Square won't cut it. For shifting, you can go with L1 for downshift and R1 for upshift, but I use the right thumbstick, as it looks like a gear leverish and I think its much more smooth and seamless for shifting. This is a recommended setup so whatever works best go for it, except you should go for a brake and gas setup that gives you some control.

My Setup as of now:
L2 Brake R2 Gas

Cool Drifting Tunes

This might seem like a joke, but playing music that keeps you in the game and relaxed helps me drift better. Both IRL and in game, I don't like playing heavy techno electro music unless I'm racing, but playing those tunes while drifting makes me develop lead foot and possibly oversteer. I recommend using some chill rap or hip hop, I listen to CYNE and Cise Star and Nujabes as some examples.

Car Selection

Now for beginners, having the right car is everything. You can't just go out and buy a Lamborghini and go take it for a spin assuming that your Initial D and can drift to your tofu deliveries (only Initial D fans will understand). Having the right first practice car is important to hone your skills. As always, these cars are suggestions, and they are mighty cheap too so don't worry about it burning a hole in your credit wallet. These cars are not listed in any particular order, but they are all FR. (lol at FF drifting)

Tuning For Drifting

Now this is purely optional, I didn't really do much of this in GT5, but a tiny bit in GT6. Because of the new physics and suspension and tire models in GT6, drifting has a very more precise and definitive detail, because of this, many had to "relearn" drifting when transcending from GT5 to GT6. For tuning the usual setup would be a stiff front spring, and a soft rear suspension, a lower front end and a higher rear end.

No exact numbers to display here, as I am not a prominent user, I will update this with more info as I go, but the general understanding so far is stiffer front springs and softer rear springs.

Tire Selection

Picking your tire is the important part for drifting. It is near impossible to drift in slicks, even with a handbrake pull. I recommend going for at the most a Sports Hard, and if you feel that its harder to break traction, go down a pair, but the usual starting point is to try Comfort Mediums.

Course for Practicing

Theres many good courses out there for drifting. Here are a list of some of my favorites.

Tsukuba Circuit, Suzuka Circuit (both layouts), Indy Road Course, Special Stage Route 5.

I'd go with Tsukuba, it has a good assortment of corners to practice on, an extended corner, a few hairpins, and one or two small S bends.

The Actual Drifting Part

When it comes to drifting, lets look at Tsukuba, assuming you have picked a Silvia per se. Turning off all aids besides ABS to 1, lets begin.

In test drive, it preps you up for the long extended corner, don't try to drift, just get a feel for the car, test how much it grips and when the tires start to bite. In the Silvia, they hold on just enough, not too much crazy oversteer.

Then comes the long straight, hold your car into 3rd gear, when the hairpin arrives, drop into 2nd, lower to 45-50mph, and pull your car to the left, then turn right, and while doing so apply some throttle. The key is to turn in before entering (use the bump strips as an indicator). While doing so, throttle control and countersteer, (turn the steering in the other direction your car is going) for throttle control, just tap the Gas a few times, as countersteer will hold your car at an angle, while applying more gas will turn it and angle it more, when you see the corner exit, apply more throttle so your car is truly sideways, but only at corner exits as it has more turning room or else you risk a spin out.

I like drifting in 3rd person car view as it gives me a perspective on my car more.

Next is the S bend leading to the hairpin, drifting here is optional but not recommended for beginners. When approaching the hairpin, a rule of thumb is to stay one gear above the recommended gear for a racing line (1st gear turn= 2nd gear drift). As with hairpins, stay in a 45-50mph drift and apply the same techniques as the first hairpin, turning right and then turning left and applying throttle, flicking it in, this makes it easier to break traction, drifting in before the corner. When drifting, you lose about 10-15mph when you enter, losing any more speed will stop your car dead.

After that comes a slight right turn corner, apply the same techniques staying in 2nd, then for a challenge instead of recovering from that drift, turn left and hit third and try to maintain another drift.

Hairpin on next turn, same as usual for hairpins, then comes the long straight. Next comes the final turn, the extended corner, I recommend staying in 3-4th gear at about 75-80mph, it is a bit tricky so expect spin outs or off tracks here, turn left then turn in right and throttle, applying throttle at times just to maintain the drift, and always countersteer. While drifting you should be somewhere between 60ish mph to a minimum of maybe 55.

There you go, you drifted the whole circuit of Tsukuba. Good Luck and if you see any problems with this feel free to point it out constructively.

Tips

Drifting physics works opposite of racing physics, too much throttle into a corner while racing will give you oversteer, for drifting, entering into a drift for a corner at too high speeds will understeer you and off the track you go, and vice versa.

Countersteering while applying some throttle will keep your car at a certain angle, on extended corners and certain hairpins, if you want to corner better and feel that you might understeer off the track, apply some more throttle and ease off the countersteer to angle your car more.

Instead of doing the Scandinavian Flick (turn left then right into a right corner or vice versa) you can do handbrakes, though it is easier to break traction, maintaining it is much more difficult, as you might hold onto the handbrake too long, or if the 4 wheels break traction, you might spin out.
I just wanted to say Thank you!! A lot of people give up out of frustration or people don't take the time to properly show a beginner where to begin. very well done sir

Jee, you all make me feel like an oddball, since I use L2/R2 for shifting and the right stick for acc/break.

Just a tip for some DS3 users. Sometimes in a corner, the long first turn left on the section on Grand Valley Speedway for example, I turn the car in, gas it, and don't put in ANY steering input until the car levels itself out with the turn.

The technique works on many other tracks, and makes your car look an awful lot smoother while drifting. (Not the two front tires them selves, but the actual consistency of your car's angle seems more stable and secure.)

Just a tip for some DS3 users. Sometimes in a corner, the long first turn left on the section on Grand Valley Speedway for example, I turn the car in, gas it, and don't put in ANY steering input until the car levels itself out with the turn.

The technique works on many other tracks, and makes your car look an awful lot smoother while drifting. (Not the two front tires them selves, but the actual consistency of your car's angle seems more stable and secure.)
Indeed

I love drifting with the DS3. I assume I drift a bit smooth because everyone asks me if I use a wheel and don't believe me when I say I use the DS3 D-Pad with steering sensitivity at 7 xD

When I used to play with DS3, I always used -1 sensitivity, and everyone thought it was a wheel. Although alot has to do with how well you can control the analog sticks without creating a twitchy look while drifting.

A Japanese drifter that goes by the name happiness061 has some videos on youtube and does an amazing hand play view for the DS3, and they're crazy smooth! 👍 On one video, the dude drifts it out with one hand lol

(Just read this now)
Yes, that's correct and works fine on DS3 on several ocasions. Very effective.
That's also why I want more and more to get a wheel on and start using it. While effective, you must agree it's..."ugly" compared to real simulation done on wheel users, going in for a corner such as that one with the wheels on just the right input angle. <3

(And don't even get me started on wheels flinching 10X p/second, that's just...horrible imo)

Why are people suggesting the use of L2 and R2 for brake and accel. when you have a lot more control using the analog sticks...

Why are people suggesting the use of L2 and R2 for brake and accel. when you have a lot more control using the analog sticks...
They do coz that's personal opinion/preference buddy.

Perfect example, yourself right now.

I don't use a DS3, but I'd say because using L2 and R2 gives you more of a brake and accelerator pedal feeling, which I agree with.

If you're using the analog stick you can't be on the brake and accelerator at the same time, which is kind of important when trying to tandem.

Contents:
1. Controller Setup
3. Car Selection
5. Tire Selection
6. Course for Practicing
7. Actual Drifting

Controller Setup

My Setup as of now:
L2 Brake R2 Gas

Cool Drifting Tunes

Car Selection

Tuning For Drifting

Tire Selection

Course for Practicing

The Actual Drifting Part

Tips

I love the Ruf CTR 02 as a drift car. FF drive train, 1000+ HP, massive angle, and you can drift in 3rd gear the whole time.

Back