Gran turismo 6 PS3 Patch 1.11 keeps failing

Netherlands
Netherlands
I mean, title kinda says it all.

I've recently acquired GT6 on PS3 after spending a good number of hours back in 3 & 4 on my emulator and getting a T300RS.
And after having now spent 3 days trying to get it updated through several different tactics (mostly ones from this forum like the doing every single update individually and shutting off the internet in between and all that) it's been a re-occuring problem where after downloading and installing patch 1.11 outside of the game (through the XMB as most places seem to call it) once i go in game to let the game itself install the patch it just freezes at 1% and approx. 3min left.

Since it seems it only happens on 1.11 there is 1 final thing im going to test tomorrow and that is downloading and installing both patch 1.11 and .12 together and see if it then pushes through .11 to get to .12 since .11 is so small but i kinda doubt that will work.
If that doesnt work I will just keep adding more patches on top of .11 untill i see change but im kinda hoping someone happens to know a fix for this that doesnt require me to do take my PS3 apart or something.

I've seen that im able to play without having installed all the patches but looking at the patches themselves i've seen quite some interesting patches and especially .12 since that adds additional if not just base support for the T300RS wheel which i obviously would really like to use.

As i was typing this in the 3rd attempt to get .11 installed it unfroze after about 3 hours of nothing, went to 95% and then just failed...
Back to it tomorrow i guess..

Last edited:
After another couple days of trying some stuff im giving up.

I've tried stopping after .10 and downloading/installing .11 and .12 together on the XMB then going ingame.. Didnt work.
Tried stopping after .10 and downloading/installing everything upto and including .14 because .13 is also a very small patch and maybe it has an issue with the really small ones but.. didnt work.
Tried stopping at .9 and doing .10, .11 and .12 together.. didnt work.

I really doubt there is a point in trying to go even further past .11 and with how slow it already is i cant be arsed putting another week into this just for a couple of added cars, its not like i'll be going online anyway.

So guess i'll be playing on .10, not like i'll not be getting my moneys worth out if it anyway.

Do you guys think it'll be usefull for me to post this info into the bigger post with the solution to this issue?

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work. Maybe try a complete uninstall of the game and then do it all again. I got the game on eBay half a year ago and just installed everything in one go because I didn't read up on it first. Luckily it all worked. It just took forever. Six hours easily but I can't remember exactly.

Regarding the other thread I don't think it makes much sense at this point. People like us that install this game for the first time in 2023 are very very rare.

A complete uninstall and try again usually works, but it does mean installing all the patches again.

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work. Maybe try a complete uninstall of the game and then do it all again. I got the game on eBay half a year ago and just installed everything in one go because I didn't read up on it first. Luckily it all worked. It just took forever. Six hours easily but I can't remember exactly.

Regarding the other thread I don't think it makes much sense at this point. People like us that install this game for the first time in 2023 are very very rare.
By complete uninstall you mean removing the game data and save files right?
Like instructed in the big solution thread?
If so, then i've been doing that in between each day, everytime it would freeze at .11 i would quit for the day, do the uninstall next day and so on.
I bought it like 2 weeks ago and did the same, i just installed all patches through xmb before going ingame and it didnt move the timer or the bar after like 2 hours so i stopped it around 4 hours.
After that i went googling.
I guess i could try to not update it through the XMB and do a complete wipe and try to install it ingame so to speak.
Or did you do what i did and install all patches through xmb then go ingame?

I did everything in game. To be precise I first played the game as is because I had just undusted my old ps3 I didn't connect it to the internet at all. Then after about a week I connected it. Then just started up the game and it started pulling the updates. Seems like I was lucky that it all worked out but maybe this can help.

By complete uninstall you mean removing the game data and save files right?
Like instructed in the big solution thread?
If so, then i've been doing that in between each day, everytime it would freeze at .11 i would quit for the day, do the uninstall next day and so on.
I bought it like 2 weeks ago and did the same, i just installed all patches through xmb before going ingame and it didnt move the timer or the bar after like 2 hours so i stopped it around 4 hours.
After that i went googling.
I guess i could try to not update it through the XMB and do a complete wipe and try to install it ingame so to speak.
Or did you do what i did and install all patches through xmb then go ingame?

I should just mention that about 2-3 months ago I fully updated the game by following the instructions in the thread to the letter. It took a few 2-3 hours sessions to fully update it all.

However I will also say that all the updates installed were a bunch of stuff I didn’t really use; mainly go-karting and F1 related stuff that i’m not into. A few extra events in the SP campaign that were OK i suppose. But nothing really essential.

I did everything in game. To be precise I first played the game as is because I had just undusted my old ps3 I didn't connect it to the internet at all. Then after about a week I connected it. Then just started up the game and it started pulling the updates. Seems like I was lucky that it all worked out but maybe this can help.
I will give this a go, if this doesnt work i think i've tried just about everything i can without having to take the PS3 apart or something.

I should just mention that about 2-3 months ago I fully updated the game by following the instructions in the thread to the letter. It took a few 2-3 hours sessions to fully update it all.

However I will also say that all the updates installed were a bunch of stuff I didn’t really use; mainly go-karting and F1 related stuff that i’m not into. A few extra events in the SP campaign that were OK i suppose. But nothing really essential.
Yeah i've had a fandom page with all the patches open to remind me where to stop and all that, just some small stuff but i thought why not give it a shot.
Sadly my luck is always ****, so now were here :P

Which version of PS3 are you using, and are you on a wired connection or wi-fi?

Might make a difference i dunno, but I used an early backwards compatible fat with a wired connection (out of necessity, it wouldn’t connect to my wi-fi for some reason lol)

If I remember rightly it did seem to hang for ages when downloading the first big patch - is that 1.1, where it’s a few GB? I was sat there watching Star Trek DS9 on my tablet for ages, like 4 or 5 episodes it took before it eventually downloaded, and it took probably as long to install. I left it overnight doing that while i went to bed.

Last edited:
So it didnt end up working, just gave me an error and failed installation after sitting on 5 minutes remaining and about 1/3rd of the bar filled for about 7 hours before it gave the error.

Which version of PS3 are you using, and are you on a wired connection or wi-fi?

Might make a difference i dunno, but I used an early backwards compatible fat with a wired connection (out of necessity, it wouldn’t connect to my wi-fi for some reason lol)

If I remember rightly it did seem to hang for ages when downloading the first big patch - is that 1.1, where it’s a few GB? I was sat there watching Star Trek DS9 on my tablet for ages, like 4 or 5 episodes it took before it eventually downloaded, and it took probably as long to install. I left it overnight doing that while i went to bed.
Its a slim far as i know.
We used to own 2 first gens but they both broke down sadly, would be awesome to have that backward compatibility but i have a PS2 emulator and a PS2 that should work.

And im wired, most of the older threads that had mentions it worked mention being on wired and honestly i wouldn't do wifi to begin with anyway.

I'd leave it overnight in a heartbeat but it just gets a error and fails after 6-7 hours regardless so i dont think its going to work anyway.
I'll just leave it on .10, atleast i'll have some QoL stuff and a couple cars added, like mentioned before its not like i wont get my moneys worth having bought it off bol.com for 10 bucks :P

I never had this issue but If I had to guess I'd say it's your harddrive. Also make sure you got enough free space, you can download the patches separately too with an app like PS3 Game Updater V1.52, you can find it on psx-place.

I never had this issue but If I had to guess I'd say it's your harddrive. Also make sure you got enough free space, you can download the patches separately too with an app like PS3 Game Updater V1.52, you can find it on psx-place.
Could be worth a shot, should be fine on space but its sat for quite a while so could be another issue alltogether i guess

Could be worth a shot, should be fine on space but its sat for quite a while so could be another issue alltogether i guess
I put in a new SDD when I bought my used ps3 and still have all the same issues with the updates. Mine crashes on 1.12. From I've read there are issues with different updates for different machines which is odd. I've tried every method multiple times and I am ready to give up.

I put in a new SDD when I bought my used ps3 and still have all the same issues with the updates. Mine crashes on 1.12. From I've read there are issues with different updates for different machines which is odd. I've tried every method multiple times and I am ready to give up.

Yeah im just playing on 1.10 i think it is currently, cba to take my ps3 apart.
Its worked fine on 1.10 except for 1 specific race very early on that would freeze the loading screen but still play the music, but most races after that one have loaded and worked fine.

Hey guys....this problem is solving installing 5 per 5 updates, installing, running game, and make more....5 per 5 or 6 per 6 update....are more "faster". If make larger updates in same way had possibility to crash of infinite time to finish install.....

I deleted all my data on GT6 and apart from the Senna stuff I don't really miss anything. Game works fine without any patches, actually a curious thing I noticed is that for whatever reason the deadzone for the gamepad is tighter on vanilla, much like it was in GT5.

Latest Posts

Back