Gran Turismo 7’s Real-Time Skybox Simulation Detailed in GDC Presentation

• Thread starter Famine
  • 18 comments
Highly detailed and so much passion into it. So much inspiration from the real world

GT graphics team is a team of devs that I appreciate.
I could only imagine PD's approach to seasons. A dynamic Autumn Ring with leaves falling perhaps 👀
Imagine driving through them and scattering them on the track much like how water reacts to the car.

Last edited:
Although there isn’t a video of the presentation yet, a copy of the slideshow has been uploaded to the GDCVault site.
Not sure, but I think there's a video available of the presentation. However, it's exclusive for a paid subscription in the Vault.

Rather unfortunate, because it may feature how SkySim actually behaves without interpolation.

Last edited:
Yet still no volumetric clouds....
(and Driveclub beat them to it almost a decade earlier)

In Driveclub you could literally see clouds form infront of the mountains, say for example not being able to see the top of Mt. Fuji (like most days irl)

We simply do not have this in GT7 despite Driveclub running on inferior hardware.
46083926665_2d6c11136a_b.jpg

spark_gtpongtplanet-55ffc6a785-5600731c12e6b.jpg

19-RlGLSHU.jpg

driveclub-1.10-update-ps41.jpg

In the last photo you can see sun-rays bursting through the clouds gaps. Which is all in realtime 3D.

Even Driveclub was not the first, in fact, that might go to Warhawk on the PS3 all the way back in 2006 with fully simulated 3d volumetric clouds.
11 (33).jpg

Last edited:

In Driveclub you could literally see clouds form infront of the mountains, say for example not being able to see the top of Mt. Fuji (like most days irl)

We simply do not have this in GT7 despite Driveclub running on inferior hardware.
View attachment 1250715
View attachment 1250716
View attachment 1250717
View attachment 1250718
In the last photo you can see sun-rays bursting through the clouds gaps.

Even Driveclub was not the first, in fact, that might go to Warhawk on the PS3 all the way back in 2006 with fully simulated 3d volumetric clouds.
View attachment 1250719
if you had read their presentation maybe you'd get how they did it differently

View attachment 1250715
View attachment 1250716
View attachment 1250717
View attachment 1250718
In the last photo you can see sun-rays bursting through the clouds gaps. Which is all in realtime 3D.

View attachment 1250719
30fps vs 60fps.

Insane level of dedication and detail for something that most players won't even appreciate. Driveclub looks great but it's 30 FPS as stated and in some static shots (like in car selection screen) DC still looks a bit unnatural in the way the light diffuses and reflects off surfaces. Lots of games look good but only Gran Turismo can make things look natural.

If only they afford as much care and attention to car physics though. Lots of cars still have wrong downforce and top speed figures. Basic stuff. Complex stuff like tyre modelling even F1 teams can get it wrong, but basic specs that anyone with internet can readily check shouldn't be wrong.

It's a pity they forgot to build a proper game around that pretty skybox tech that they have been obsessed with for the past 19 years (ever since they started working on GT5)...

Let's not forget about realtime Screen Space reflections...on a standard ps4...in a launch title...
Something that GT7 can't afford even on PS5 and with all that ray-tracing fancy tech.

Last edited:
This bugs me.. PD are great developers don't get me wrong but why is it they have this great tech for skyboxes and weather and day/night cycles but it is not implemented across the entire game?? It is so frustrating that PD seems to develop something really cool and then they don't deliver it or deliver it in bits and pieces. Sophy was a fun thing, add it to the game! Nope, you get a taste of it and now it's gone. Weather and day/night cycles are cool, ADD IT TO EVERY TRACK.

This bugs me.. PD are great developers don't get me wrong but why is it they have this great tech for skyboxes and weather and day/night cycles but it is not implemented across the entire game?? It is so frustrating that PD seems to develop something really cool and then they don't deliver it or deliver it in bits and pieces. Sophy was a fun thing, add it to the game! Nope, you get a taste of it and now it's gone. Weather and day/night cycles are cool, ADD IT TO EVERY TRACK.
Because to add it to every track, PoDi has to takes a lot of data from these tracks. And directly on site. (Plus geographical data as explained on the article). Process this amount of data takes a HUGE amount of time. If you can wait the game until 2035, so yeah PoDi can brings weather and day/night cycles to every track.

For example : it takes many months to Playground games to replicate the weather of one location from real data (Australia in Forza Horizon 3). (It is not an issue for fake data, like in FM7, Drive Club and others games).

Last edited:
Sophy was likely removed due to the physics changes. It needs to be retrained for the new physics.

Rather unfortunate, because it may feature how SkySim actually behaves without interpolation.
PD recently uploaded their presentation in pptx format, so there was a chance to extract some videos from SkySim raw demos. Here are some examples (please excuse the image quality due to compression):

Weather transitions with smooth cloud animations.
cloud_demo.gif

Texels adaptive mapping in Look-up Table (LUT) visualization.
adaptive_lut.gif

Weather and cloud transitions at 10x speed.
sky_demo.gif

There might be many GT7 sky time-lapse videos shared on YouTube, such as those posted by @Destroy321 , @Vspectra and @Whistle Snap , but these demos show cloud animations better synced with changes in weather conditions.

Last edited:
Back