• 2 comments

Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
So I saw the screenshot of the NSX in the trailer/reveal and glanced at the car specs (HP, Weight, PP) and wondered if it'd be OP again. I glanced at the Integra and ran some quick numbers and it appears to be(?) This of course is difficult to calculate precisely (especially with changing PP - I'd go off of base PP), but I went ahead and got all the GT7 car specs I could find (from appropriate screenshots) and put together a little DB. This could be useful in finding hidden gems that you'd normally not try otherwise.

It appears the NSX might be OP, but only if my math is correct and I'm not missing something. I make no promises that this is the end all, be all, just an experiment and I'm open to further ideas/improvements/math corrections, etc.

Gran Turismo 7 Car Rankings

I simply entered in the data, calculated the power-to-weight ratio and then divided that number by the cars PP. The lower the number the better, which is why I put in a Rank column to further clarify that.

Thoughts? Would this be a waste of time? 🤷‍♂️

Jerome

Last edited:
The math is probably correct, but the interesting power figure is the average power output so ideally we’d have some kind of form factor to account for the shape of the power curve over the useable rpm range. I suppose the form is unknown for a lot of the cars but we can probably make some educated guesses based on the torque figure

Some factor to account for the drivetrain would be nice too, for example 4WD cars should have better traction than others, and rear wheel drive should be better than front wheel drive.

Weight is not important for top speed, so that is also something that could be factored in, perhaps the score could be something like (A*top speed score + B*acceleration score) = A * power + B * (power/weight) * p * q, where A and B are constants to account for the impact of top speed and acceleration, p is a factor to account for the impact of the drivetrain layout and q is a factor to account for the shape of the power curve over the relevant rpm range. The value of these factors can be determined experimentally by testing cars in previous games.

We’d still be missing factors like downforce and drag, but at some point the model just gets more and more unreliable as you add more and more factors, so ignoring aero might be a reasonable limitation.

Last edited:
I figured I'd keep it simple and stick with the power:weight ratio regarding car performance and use each cars stock specs. I split things into two tabs, one for race cars and one for street cars. I also added a Drivetrain rank and an Overall rank. That should organize things well enough I think.

Jerome

Back