Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,393 comments
I wonder how Nike's VGT is coming along? I'd love to see the Nike One 2022 return, too, if only to have both it and the much newer Nike VGT.

EDIT: What if Nike's VGT is an upgraded version of the Nike One?!
Haven't heard on it for more than almost eight years since it was announced back in 2013. The Air Jordan VGT, however, based on the announcement trailer for the VGT project, might likely resemble the Himmel 490B from the Ridge Racer series.

It may be possible that Nike's VGT would be completely different as it is codenamed "Nike Two".

Having the original Nike One back in GT7 would be a great idea. After all, it is the "de-facto" first VGT before even the Mercedes.

Last edited:
It may be possible that Nike's VGT would be completely different as it is codenamed "Nike Two".
Is that confirmed? Where'd you hear it?

Having the original Nike One back in GT7 would be a great idea. After all, it is the "de-facto" first VGT before even the Mercedes.
Before the Citroen GTbyCitroen, even!

Watch the VGT announcement trailer dating all the way back to as far as GT6.

It's very surprising that VGT was originally meant to celebrate the franchise's 15th anniversary, now made completely long-term spanning multiple titles after 6, such as Sport and even 7.
I really do like the VGT project, too. But as far as I remember, GT6 was released in 2013, right? Wouldn't that be GT's 16th anniversary? Or was it just a matter of GT6 being the first game since the 15-year mark?

I really do like the VGT project, too. But as far as I remember, GT6 was released in 2013, right? Wouldn't that be GT's 16th anniversary? Or was it just a matter of GT6 being the first game since the 15-year mark?
The series started back in '97. Technically it would've been the 16th by then. By the time GT7 is out it will likely be 24 years by then. Just thinking about it makes me think that a lot can happen in eight years (four years ago with Sport in between).

Last edited:
Watch the VGT announcement trailer dating all the way back to as far as GT6.

It's very surprising that VGT was originally meant to celebrate the franchise's 15th anniversary, now made completely long-term spanning multiple titles after 6, such as Sport and even 7.
I honestly don't know why they're still persisting with it

The VGT cars were OK when manufacturers stuck to the original script PD gave them. “Would you design your rendition of the ideal GT for us?”. The first few cars would just about pass as a Grand Tourer.

Then they all just decided to ignore that and use it as a free-for-all design contest to advertise their brand in the game, the more outlandish the better they thought. So now all we get are big wacky designs with fictional technology and crazy performance. They are not in any way Grand Tourers, and serve little practical purpose in the games.

Last edited:
I agree about the branding, but the Chapparal, Dodge and "Lambo Lambo Lambo and... Omega Moo"Lamborghini, are the most out there.
Alpine, Audis, McLaren(almost looks like a distant cousin to the Senna GTR) aren't outragious. The VW, Mercedes and Bugatti are real show cars. MINI, BMW, Aston Martin are fairly mild and the Nissan looks dated, for 2020. We see what the Toyotas became. Honda, Mitsubishi and Subaru, are plain concept cars. Daihatsu and Lexus(which could pass for the Super GT500 car) are race cars. Hyundai is probably closest, along with the LM55, that could work in whatever LMP category.

Since the manufacturers are coming up with those designs, it doesn't seem to be taking away from a car, many would rather be in the game, from those brands. I don't think we didn't get a 1982 Mazda RX-7 because we got two LM55s instead.

Since the manufacturers are coming up with those designs, it doesn't seem to be taking away from a car, many would rather be in the game, from those brands. I don't think we didn't get a 1982 Mazda RX-7 because we got two LM55s instead.

PD still have to model them, every car that is modelled is another car that isn't. There seems to be this misconception among some GT fans (not you) that PD don't model these VGT cars because the manufacturers come up with the CAD model. Don't know where it comes from, because it's no difference to the CAD models of regular cars existing, PD still have to create the in-game model, the CAD models are far, far too detailed and the manufactures aren't gong to be able to create a model that matches PDs LOD requirements.

Obviously derivative models are far quicker than outright new models, but the point still stands. The time someone spent modelling that absurdly unrealistic Dodge could've spent that time modelling something far more worthwhile, IMO.

Last edited:
For sure.
Like the RX-Vision Concept GT3. Why wasn't the RX-Vision Concept 2015 modelled instead or as well? It's from 2015. Could have been in GTSport, for 2017 game debut, easily. Took PD-Mazda 6 months to do the RX-Vision Concept GT3. That's all I'm saying about we got most of the VGTs, but didn't get a "real" car. That's five years we could have gotten the RX-V.
Now, I'm not in the board room when PD are deciding what cars are to be modelled before others. Maybe modellers working on some of the VGTs, DID mean some cars couldn't be modelled for GTSport. I don't know. I'd like to believe not.

I guess, when we saw the blurred images of the Super Bee. I think there was also speculation of the classic Lamborghini. It's got to be an executive decision, rather than modelling, that holds back what cars many would prefer over a VGT. We got the GR Yaris. That car could have been modelled way before we started seeing real world spy shots. Similar to the Supra, when PD helped Toyota "build" that car. Assests were used to model that car when modellers could have been modelling a Konigsegg.

Would be interesting to have an in depth process regarding modelling real cars versus the VGTs/fictional cars.

I don't mind concept cars in a game, and I view the Vision GT cars in the same category as show concepts, the problem to me is the proprtion of VGT cars to everything else.

In GT6 with 1200+ cars, the VGT's made up just a small percentage of that. in GT Sport there are fewer cars overall but more VGT's so the proprtion is significantly larger. And while I don't mind concept cars and VGT's being in Gran Turismo, I want the meat of the game to be production road cars and real race cars. VGT's are fine if they're a side dish.

With regards to modelling VGT cars, they obviousely take time, effort and therefore have a cost associated with including them in the game even if there's no licensing fee. That time and efford could go towards modelling something else instead, however we don't know if the option is a VGT or nothing else. Sure as said, the time and effort could go towards modelling something else, but is the only reason we've got the VGT's a contractual one between PD and the manufacturers. We simply don't know.

We don't know who models those cars, PD themselves or is it outsourced work, we don't know whether they pull a person off something else they would have been doing instead, we don't know how long a VGT car takes to model (logically the ones without interiors would take less time than a car with an interior) but I would assume the time is generally the same as any other car modelled for the game. There are many if's and maybe's.

But as I said at the top, I don't mind these cars too much but my preference is real road and race cars. They should make up the vast majority of the car list IMO.

Last edited:
Back