Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 51,072 comments
  • 7,997,325 views
Bad news for VR players by the looks of it :(

 
Bad news for VR players by the looks of it :(

According to someone who actually checked the Patent Office records this is a Sony Group sale of XR (ie enterprise) related stuff. The separate VR ones remain registered to Playstation.

I don’t think there’s a future for PSVR but this itself doesn’t seem to be the funeral.
 
According to someone who actually checked the Patent Office records this is a Sony Group sale of XR (ie enterprise) related stuff. The separate VR ones remain registered to Playstation.

I don’t think there’s a future for PSVR but this itself doesn’t seem to be the funeral.
The good thing is, PSVR 2 seems (?) from what I've seen, to be at an acceptable quality that they can just keep supporting that going forward. They can always optimise the software and use the console hardware to help improve image quality as well.
 
At least those of us that have one will have some form of novelty for as long as the PS5/PS5P can run.

Guess I better just accept the Music Rally and Family modes.
 


That date lol, imagine it gets added on the Spec IV part 2 and it is revealed on the new intro 🤭 (Yes I know I am setting myself for disappointment with this crazy dream 🤣🤣)

Yeah there's a slight problem with that speculation, the teaser reveal is around 4:30 pm Eastern time (in the US ) and GT7's updates usually drop around 2 in the morning, so it's zero percent chance that the Mission S would be in GT7 (at least in October's Spec IV update)
 
Yeah there's a slight problem with that speculation, the teaser reveal is around 4:30 pm Eastern time (in the US ) and GT7's updates usually drop around 2 in the morning, so it's zero percent chance that the Mission S would be in GT7 (at least in October's Spec IV update)
Although the theory is crazy, it would still be possible for PD to be modeling the car right now, having special access to the model, in collaboration with Porsche. That is the only way it could make it to the December update in time anyway. The GR GT prototype in FH6 is an example of this, although it admittedly already had been revealed at the time
 
The good thing is, PSVR 2 seems (?) from what I've seen, to be at an acceptable quality that they can just keep supporting that going forward. They can always optimise the software and use the console hardware to help improve image quality as well.
PSVR2 is okay, but not great. I think Sony made a big mistake going with Fresnel lenses. Keeping the headset in the sharp sweet spot is just too difficult. The OLED screens are nice, though.

It's also been a huge financial failure for Sony, and honestly, you could tell they were backing away from it even before launch. It was released with the minimum possible effort.

For me, it comes down to one thing: if PS6 keeps supporting PSVR2 and the next Gran Turismo supports VR, I'm happy. If not, I'll switch games entirely. I can't go back to non-VR racing.
 
PSVR2 is okay, but not great. I think Sony made a big mistake going with Fresnel lenses. Keeping the headset in the sharp sweet spot is just too difficult. The OLED screens are nice, though.

It's also been a huge financial failure for Sony, and honestly, you could tell they were backing away from it even before launch. It was released with the minimum possible effort.

For me, it comes down to one thing: if PS6 keeps supporting PSVR2 and the next Gran Turismo supports VR, I'm happy. If not, I'll switch games entirely. I can't go back to non-VR racing.
Huge financial failure for Sony was gaas dream but not vr. They were selling every headset with a decent margin, but the VR market is simply too small. For example, one of the best PSVR2 games, Resident Evil 4 Remake, has been played by only around 318K players.
 
snc
Huge financial failure for Sony was gaas dream but not vr. They were selling every headset with a decent margin, but the VR market is simply too small. For example, one of the best PSVR2 games, Resident Evil 4 Remake, has been played by only around 318K players.
I think it's pretty hard to argue that PSVR2 wasn't a commercial failure for Sony.

It launched at $549.99, which was actually more expensive than the PS5 you needed to use it with. Then in 2024 there were reports that Sony had paused production because there was still unsold inventory sitting around.

What really tells the story to me is the pricing. Not long after launch, Sony started running huge discounts, taking it down to $349.99, and eventually they permanently cut the MSRP to $399.99. Later sales pushed it even lower.

Sure, the discounts moved more units, but when a premium product keeps getting discounted by 35–45% and then receives a permanent price cut, it starts to feel less like a promotion and more like they're trying to clear stock. That's certainly not selling with "decent margins".

I also know a few people in the VR space who would generally have a good sense of how these things are doing. Nothing directly from Sony, but the impression I've consistently gotten is that PSVR2 was viewed as a disappointment commercially.

Obviously none of us have Sony's internal numbers, but between the production pause, the aggressive discounts, the permanent price cut, and what I've heard from people around the industry, it really doesn't look like a success story.
 
Last edited:
I think it's pretty hard to argue that PSVR2 wasn't a commercial failure for Sony.

It launched at $549.99, which was actually more expensive than the PS5 you needed to use it with. Then in 2024 there were reports that Sony had paused production because there was still unsold inventory sitting around.

What really tells the story to me is the pricing. Not long after launch, Sony started running huge discounts, taking it down to $349.99, and eventually they permanently cut the MSRP to $399.99. Later sales pushed it even lower.

Sure, the discounts moved more units, but when a premium product keeps getting discounted by 35–45% and then receives a permanent price cut, it starts to feel less like a promotion and more like they're trying to clear stock. That's certainly not selling with "decent margins".

I also know a few people in the VR space who would generally have a good sense of how these things are doing. Nothing directly from Sony, but the impression I've consistently gotten is that PSVR2 was viewed as a disappointment commercially.

Obviously none of us have Sony's internal numbers, but between the production pause, the aggressive discounts, the permanent price cut, and what I've heard from people around the industry, it really doesn't look like a success story.
Yeah 100% flop but my comment was about Sony losing big money on vr. That wasn't a case.
 
snc
Yeah 100% flop but my comment was about Sony losing big money on vr. That wasn't a case.
I mean, I guess we don't know. But when you factor in the R&D, first-party software, developer support, marketing, and the fact that they were reportedly sitting on a lot of unsold inventory while selling the headset with little to no hardware margin, it's hard for me to imagine they didn't lose a decent amount of change on PSVR2 overall. Sony reportedly produced well over 2 million units before pausing production to work through excess inventory, which doesn't exactly suggest a hugely profitable product.
 
Back