Gran Turismo All-Stars Report

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 11 comments
This is my 4th tilt at this championship. Previous cars used were a Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car, a Honda Mobil 1 NSX, and a Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II.

Now I am trying something unprecedented: a touring car!!!:)

Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car

Stage 3, 4 Turbo, R2, R3 and R4 tyres

No chance? Wait and see!

The rule for qualifying is that I cannot be more than 1 second per minute faster than the fastest A1. For example, in a lap of between 1 and 2 minutes (which most circuits are), I cannot be 2 seconds or more faster than the fastest A1. If I am, I must either a) gain 200kg ballast, b) lose at least 10% horsepower for the race for every 2 seconds I am over, or c) I move to a harder tyre (e.g. R3s to R2s).

I also cannot use my power boost in qualifying and cannot change my horsepower or tyre settings between qualifying and the race. I can however change my other settings. But I can't change my other settings if I qualify over 1 second per minute faster than the fastest A1.

I can not use my power boost in the race if I qualify over 1 second per minute quicker than the fastest AI.

If the race is up to five laps, I get one qualifying lap.
If the race is between six and ten laps, I get two qualifying laps.

Championship Lineup:
Nissan R92CP Race Car
Nissan R89C Race Car
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car
Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car

Race 1 - High Speed Ring Reverse (7 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (about 720hp, and R2 tyres)

Qualifying: Pole
Race: 1ST
Race Fastest Lap: 1:00.406

This car feels good!! I qualify about 0.5s ahead of the R92. I get jumped off the line by both Nissans and the Minolta but by the tight middle section I am back in the lead as the A1s warm up their tyres.

It's a lead I don't lose. Although, the AIs are never more than a second behind. The Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car wins its maiden race!!!:sly:

The R92 comes in second ahead of the R89 and the Minolta.

Race 2 - Fuji Speedway 80s (6 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R3 tyres

Qualifying: 2nd
Race: 3rd
Fastest Lap: 1:07.225

After qualifying I am thinking that a podium is about as much as I can hope for. The main problem is of course a lack of horsepower compared to the Nissans, which is exaggerated because I get a lot of understeer in the final turn.

Be that as it may, I get a reasonable start and use my power boost to stay close enough to the R92 that I pass it at the hairpin in the middle of the first lap. Keeping the lead is much more difficult this time. In a great race, I lose the lead on the front straight almost every lap and then get in the slipstream and retake the lead at turn 1. The R89 passes the R92 and me and takes the lead on lap 4 and holds it until the end. I battle with the R92 before once again understeering at the final turn of the race and almost lose a podium position to the rapidly closing Minota. The R89 wins from the R92 and myself. I was pleased with my driving as I made no mistakes and perhaps I could have even won if I had remembered to change the oil before this event.

Race 3 - Laguna Seca Raceway (7 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R2 tyres

Qualifying: 4th
Fastest Lap: 1:18.043

A disappointing qualifying effort from me, as in both of my two laps I ran off the road at turn 5. It's always been a difficult corner for me. Surprisingly, the R89 beats the R92 to pole.

However, the race is once again another beauty. I pass the Minolta at the corkscrew to get 3rd. I then pass the R92 and R89 on lap 2 and lead for basically the rest of the race. The R89 grabs the lead back a couple of times and is actually in the lead going into the last lap but I pull a last of the last brakers' move on him going into turn 1 and have enough power boost left to hold on to the end.

The power boost is enjoyable during the race as you have to be careful when you use it. I saved it up during this race very well which meant I could totally power on for most of the last lap, which was my fastest of the race.

Race 4 - Autumn Ring Reverse (9 laps)

Stage 3 Turbo, R2 tyres

Race: 2nd
Fastest Lap: 1:12.390

It was borderline if the Stage 4 turbo was going to be over the 2 second limit so I had to switch back to the Stage 3, and I lost over 150hp. I got pole anyway, by about 1 second.

This race is unique as the faster A1s have a habit of going off at the same corner in the middle of the circuit lap after lap.

So, I was very confident going into this race. The Minolta qualified 2nd and looked the most stable of the AIs through that problematic corner.

And he drove beautifully throughout the whole race and shocked me by not going off at that corner once!!! Thus, he won quite easily from my underpowered Audi by about 4 seconds. Meanwhile, the Pescarolo grabs his first podium of the championship due to the Nissans going off time and time again at that infamous corner.

Race 5 - Test Course (3 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (after an oil change), R4 tyres.

Fastest Lap: 1:39.882

The downforce is reduced drastically and the gear ratios are opened right up for this speedfest. I surprise myself in qualifying by getting by being able to hold onto the R92's slipstream and drawing up along side.

Worrying, I couldn't seem to pass him fully, but I have the power boost for that.

The race is a 5 car battle all the way through but just over halfway, one got the feeling that it was between me, the R92 and the Minolta. I piled on the power boost heading towards the finish line, drew up alongside the R92 and.....

...lost the race by 0.005 seconds!!!

Damn, hope that doesn't cost my the championship in the end. I should have backed off more and then gained momemtum off the slipstream instead of being right on his tail for the majority of the last quarter of the final lap. The R92 has won its first race of the championship and have I awoken the sleeping giant?

The R89 has finished 5th in the last two races, which has really destroyed his good start to the championship.

Points after 5 races:

Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car 36
Nissan R92CP Race Car 29
Nissan R89C Race Car 24
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 23
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car 13
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 5

Race 6 - Grand Valley Speedway Reverse (6 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R2 tyres.

Race: 4th
Fastest Lap: 1:44.271

Qualified over two seconds in front of the R89:grumpy: Which is not really a true reflection because the AIs really step up their pace on their 3rd lap, but this qualifying session was only 2 laps.

A big mistake on my part, then. I had to take 200kg ballast, do away with my power boost for the race, and start from the rear of the field, which I did by letting the entire field past at the start. The best I was hoping for after that was 4th, which I duly got. I actually passed the Minolta on lap 2 and held on until the beginning of lap 4.

The only bonus was that the R89 beat the R92 to the win, which means that I now lead the overall standings by 4 points (Myself 39, R92 35, R89 34).

Have the wrestle the momentum back, but it won't be easy with Suzuka, a horsepower circuit coming up next. I haven't won a World Championship or Allstars race at Suzuka in 8 attempts.:nervous:

Race 7 - Suzuka circuit (5 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R2 tyres.

Qualifying: 5th
Race: 5th
Fastest Lap: 1:51.191

Once again the Suzuka hoodoo strikes!!👎

As qualifying was only over one lap, the pressure was really on. I had a couple of slip-ups on my warmup lap, which meant that the Minolta was right on my tail heading into my qualifying lap. He put me on the dirt just coming up to the fast 130R:scared: Which meant I really overshot that corner and lost about 5 seconds. Thus, I ended up in 5th place for the start. Dammit.:grumpy:

I did the best I could. I got up to 2nd behind the Minolta (which had taken pole) but after 2 laps I realised he was too far down the road so I concentrated on keeping the Nissans behind me, as the Minolta could take crucial championship points away from them by winning.

Coming up to 150R at the end of lap 3, the Nissans were right behind me, and on of them drew alongside me past 130R and rubbed my rear-left panel and thus sent me spinning out of control down the escape road past the chicane.:scared::grumpy:

Unbelievable!!! Talk about dirty driving!!! Is that the championship gone?:nervous:

The Minolta wins his second race of the championship and that puts him right in contention.

This is the closest Allstars Championship I have ever participated in. I just wish I had a bigger lead! :indiff:

Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car 41
Nissan R89C Race Car 40
Nissan R92CP Race Car 39
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 37
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car 18
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 7

Race 8 - Infineon Raceway Stock Car Course (8 laps)

Stage 3 Turbo, R3 tyres.

Fastest Lap: 1:05.574

Stage 4 turbo with R2 tyres proved that it would be too fast in qualifying, so I switched to R3 tyres with less horsepower and got pole by 1.2 seconds with a mid 1:07s lap.

Took off in the lead from the rolling start and gradually stretched it over the
R92 for the first half of the race. Was slightly worried if my R3 tyres would last the distance. I also didn't use my power boost for the first half of the race since I knew the R92 would be coming on strong towards the end.

I got the lead out to 3.9s at the end of lap 3 but from then on the R92 closed the gap to around 2 seconds and I used my power boost to keep that 2 second advantage rather than wait for him to be on my tail.

We were both in the 1:05s at the end of the race and I held on by 1.4 seconds. The Minolta (fastest lap of the race, a 1:04.9) held off the R89 for 3rd.

The dream is still alive!!!:)

Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car 51
Nissan R92CP Race Car 45
Nissan R89C Race Car 43
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 41
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car 20
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 8

Race 9 - Circuit de la Sarthe (2 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R3 tyres.

Fastest Lap: 3:31.235

Tried as hard as I could in qualifying, but ended up more than 5 seconds down on the pole-winning R92.

I was never in contention in the race. I battled with the R89 for a podium for most of it, but I used up my power boost too early and dropped back to finish 9 seconds down on the R92 by race finish. The Minolta gave me some hope by passing the R92 for the lead on lap 1, but he couldn't hold on.

All of which means that the R92 now holds a one-point lead heading to the Grand Final at the Nurburgring.

The winner will take it all!!!:cool:

Nissan R92CP Race Car 55
Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car 54

Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 47
Nissan R89C Race Car 47
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car 22
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 9

Race 10 - Nurburgring Nordschleife (2 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo, R2 tyres.

Fastest Lap: 6:12.878

Qualifying didn't go so well at all. Was 1.4s faster at the halfway mark, but in the second part of the circuit, where I have historically always struggled, my car was too stiff and it resulted in a quite a few offs.

The one advantage I do have is that the Nissans' and the Minolta's tyres go off horribly in the last segment of the race, which often results in them spinning out on the last few turns. I need to stay within 10 seconds of the lead throughout the race to take advantage of that, and make no mistakes.

The Pescarolo, whose tyres hang in well, springs a surprise by qualifying in 2nd behind the R92. The R89 and the Minolta qualify in 3rd and 4th respectfully.

I will soften my springs and raise my ride height a tad and hope that it improves the handling for the race.:nervous:

I passed the Minolta for 4th early on lap 1 and passed the R89 at Adenauer Forst. Followed the Pescarolo for a few corners (he sent me onto the grass once!) before passing him to move up to second. By that time the R92 was almost 4 seconds in front.

I drove perfectly (as perfectly as you can drive the Nurburgring) for the rest of the race, but heading onto the long straight for the final time, I was 9 seconds behind the R92 and hoping that he would follow the script of previous races here and spin out within sight of the finish line.

I am cursed. The R92 hung on!!! :yuck:I only gained 3 seconds on him and he won the race, and the championship by 6 seconds.:indiff:

I feel empty. I felt this was finally my championship. But it was not to be.

In the end, I will look back at that 0.005 second loss at the Test Course and being taken out of 2nd place at Suzuka.

But like MacArthur, I will be back!!!👍

Final Standings:

Nissan R92CP Race Car 65 (3 wins)
Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car 60 (3 wins)
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 51 (2 wins)
Nissan R89C Race Car 50 (2 wins)
Pescarolo Courage C60 Judd Race Car 24
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 10

Last edited:
Gran Turismo All-Stars: Honda Raybrig NSX (JGTC)

Here we are for my 6th go at this championship: the final frontier, you might say. In between my last post and now, I tried in a Jaguar XJ220 but was soundly beated by the Nissans and the Minolta and finished 4th in the championship.

The same rules apply (see rules in my first post) and I want to try the Honda Raybrig this time.

A1 Opposition:
Nissan R89C Race Car
BMW V12 LMR Race Car
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car
Mazda 787B Race Car
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

So, the R92 is taking a vacation, but this looks like a very tight lineup, as the first race will show!:)

Stage 4 Turbo (827hp), R2 tyres 200 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:01.812
Race Fastest Lap: 1:01.623 (Mazda 787B)

I qualify about 0.4s ahead of the R89. I get jumped off the line by the R89, BMW, and Mazda but make up ground in the tight middle section and go past the R89 as the first lap comes to an end.

I never get away and the R89 actually passes me briefly a couple of times but I use my power boost to stay ahead of an angry pack. By the end of lap 5, 1st to 5th are covered by 2.3s!!!👍

At the end of lap 6, the Mazda slipstreams the R89 and the BMW and they cross the start-finish line three wide, about 1.5s behind me!!! This is great racing.

The Mazda gets to the first corner in 2nd and the battle for the podium rages for the rest of the lap and the Mazda holds on to finish 2nd just ahead of the R89 and the BMW. The Toyota finishes about 4s back in the end.

What a thrilling start to the championship!::cool:

:gtpflag:

Stage 4 Turbo (827hp), R3 tyres 187pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:07.785
Race Fastest Lap: 1:06.940 (Mazda 787B)

Love this track. Two things you need: a LOT of horsepower, and plenty of balls.

I'd like to think I have the latter, but unfortunately I am seriously lacking in horsepower as I can only manage a 1:10.7 in qualifying and end up 5th on the grid. The R89 takes pole ahead of the 787B and the BMW.

I get dragged off the line by the Gillet, which holds me up until turn 2. Therefore, I can't get into the leading cars slipstream. I battle with the GT-ONE for the first two laps but use my power boost to get away from him and do a 1:07s lap in a desparate attempt to get into the stripstream of the leading three cars. Unfortunately, I have already shot my wad with the power boost and drift back into the cluthes of the GT-ONE again by the end of the race, finishing 9s down on the leading three cars, who finished nose-to-tail (R89, BMW, 787B in that order).

R89 14 points, Raybrig 13, 787B 10, BMW 9, GT-ONE 4

Stage 4 Turbo (827hp), R2 tyres 200 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:21.208
Race Fastest Lap: 1:20.756 (Nissan R89C)

This should be one of the easier tracks to win on. I must take advantage here before the tougher tracks later on in the championship.

Not as fast as I expected to be in qualifying, posting a 1:22.280 best in my 2 laps, which was 0.7s slower than the R89.

What a race! :tup:I follow the R89 for 2 laps, and fluff a couple of overtaking moves. I move past him on the exit of turn 1 on lap 3, but I have already used up half my power boost. The R89 attempts to re-pass me between turns 4 and 5 and actually takes out one of the braking markers on the side of the road! He passes me on the way up to the corkscrew but I outbrake him and hold on...just.:nervous:

Heading into the corkscrew on lap 4, I get hit up the rear by...the 787B!! :crazy: He zooms past the R89 on the outside of the corkscrew and hassles me for a lap before the R89 gets his revenge on the outside of the corkscrew on the next lap.

I defend my lead for the rest of the race, and never get out to more than a 0.6s lead. Out of turns 4, 5, and the corkscrew is particularly hairy. I get a few taps on the rear but manage to hold on every time.

I do my fastest lap to finish ahead of the R89, 787B, the BMW, and the GT-ONE. 1st to 5th were covered by 3.6s at the finish!

What a pressure race, and an important one to win in the context of the championship.:gtpflag:

Raybrig 23, R89 20, 787B 14, BMW 12, GT-ONE 6

Race 4 - Autumn Ring B (9 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (827hp), R2 tyres 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:13.408
Race Fastest Lap: 1:10.834 (787B)

Very tight little track and you have to work really hard to get decent lap times consistently. The curb-hopping on the last sector can really upset the car.

I qualify on pole with a 1:14.087 by 0.7s from the BMW and the GT-ONE (its best performance to date). The R89 and 787B are languishing in 4th and 5th due to their propencity to overshoot the same corner in the middle of the circuit lap after lap.

Now is the time to stake my claim!:)

The BMW drafts past me into turn 1, but I get him back at turn 2. I stretch my lead out to 2.4s at the end of lap 3.

But that is where the happy times ended. The BMW catches me up drastically as his tyres warm up and he is all over me by lap 5. He is especially fast over the last sector. He slams past me into the last corner as I leave the gap open. We go side-by-side past the start-finish line. I repass him with a late-braking move in the middle of the circuit. But I can't resist for long and at the end of the lap he passes me on the outside of the last corner on lap 7, as I take the defensive line. I get the lead back temporarily at the start of the next lap but out-brake myself and from there, the BMW is gone, and I spend the rest of the race resisting the GT-ONE.

I finish 2nd, 3.4s behind the BMW, with the GT-ONE right behind me.

The R89C and the 787B finish where they started. The 787B did the fastest lap of the race by quite some margin. It's a pity he and the R89C couldn't stay on the track through that problem corner of theirs.:sly:

NOT!!! Very glad they had that problem. Looking at the fastest laps of each car, I did very well to finish second. Everyone else in the top 5 managed a lap in the 1:11s, but I couldn't improve on a 1:13.

Raybrig 29, R89 23, BMW 22, 787B 16, GT-ONE 10

Off to the gym and later on, an izakaya for a bit of Sunday evening drinking. Cheers, and stay tuned!:cheers:

Stage 4 Turbo, oil change (869hp), R2 tyres 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:41.690
Race Fastest Lap: 1:41.690 (Raybrig)

Straight-out horsepower, along with skill and timing of when to pull out of the stripstream and when to use the power boost will win the day here. In accordance to this, I change the oil and give the car a wash for good measure.👍

I use the BMW's slipstream to qualify on pole by 0.4s from the GT-ONE, BMW, R89 (no-one to slipstream on his qualifying run), and the 787B (way off the pace here).

I turn my powerboost up since I will only use it in the mad dash to the finish line.:sly:

I get off the line well (having added more traction control for the race) and basically it's a four-way fight to the flag, with the 787B some way back. I use my powerboost as we head to the finish and win comfortably ahead of the BMW, R89, and the GT-ONE. The BMW seemed to have more speed here than the other A1 cars.

A lot better result than with the Audi in my first post on this thread!:)

At the halfway point:
Raybrig 39, BMW 28, R89 27, 787B 18, GT-ONE 13, Gillet 5

Race 6 - Grand Valley Speedway (6 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R2 tyres 187pts (for some unknown reason).

My Fastest Lap: 1:43.243
Race Fastest Lap: 1:42.902 (BMW)

This is traditionally the point in the championship where things start to go pear-shaped. The stats tell the story: in five previous visits to this round of the championship I have never won. My best result is two 2nds (Honda NSX and Jaguar XJ220). Time to right the wrong!👍

I qualify on pole, but the R89 will be very quick in the race once his tyres warm up at the 3rd lap mark. The BMW only qualifies in 5th so he has a lot of work to do to stay in championship contention.

Had a feeling this would be a crucial race. Off the line, I swerve to the left and manage to block the R89's path. :idea:Doing so, I let the 787B and the BMW through. I pass the BMW mid-way through the lap, and take the lead away from the 787B at the hairpin. The R89 is languising in 5th.

I pull away to a 3.4s lead by the end of lap 2. But then the 787B starts getting closer...and closer. By the end of lap 4 he is right on me and I have to really hold my nerve to keep him out. Meanwhile, the R89 has had enough and slams his way to 3rd on lap 3.

As we start the final lap, the 787B passes me on the outside of the fast turn one!!! :scared: I begin to use my power boost and even then I can hardly stay with him. :nervous:By this time, the R89 and the BMW are also charging and are right behind me. I drive like a demon throughout the twisty secton leading up to the hairpin, using the power boost when I can and using every bit of road. I am close enough to dive under him (just!) at the hairpin. I slam on the power boost and storm my way to the last corner, the 787B right on my rear bumper. He has another go at the final turn, but I block the inside. I accelerate to the finish line, the power boost on, to win by 0.3s!!!:crazy:

Raybrig 49, R89 31, BMW 31, 787B 24, GT-ONE 15

What a win, and what a pressure drive. One of my best. And could this be the point where the championship is won? We shall see. Right now, it is time to head down the road for some Tullys Coffee.

Good luck,
Flyingkiwi.

Race 7 - Suzuka Circuit (5 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R2 tyres 187pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:52.891
Race Fastest Lap: 1:49.141

Here is another track that I haven't won at before in this championship. But I won at Grand Valley, so am full of confidence. One more win can seal the deal.

I chose R2 tyres instead of R3s. It was a big mistake as I am too slow and I outbrake myself at the final chicane on my qualifying lap to compound matters. End up qualifying 5th, 5.3s down on the R89, 787B and the BMW. Once again at Suzuka, I am pushing the proverbial uphill.:indiff:

I get a very good start (aided by some power boost) and am up to 2nd behind the R89 by the time we get through the curvy section.

But then I put a wheel on the dirt as I brake for the tight right-hander just before we go under the bridge. This unsettles the car and allows the BMW and 787B up alongside me. Three cars on a short straight won't go and I get squeezed off the circuit and bounce off the wall on both sides before emerging a very disgrunted last, 11 seconds from the lead.:ouch:

I spend the rest of the race chasing the Vertigo, who has very good pace here (1:53.9 best compared to my 1:52.891). I couldn't catch him, in fact, until he spears off the track on the final lap at the same corner where I came to grief. I take the extra point but still finish 27s down on the R89, who wins by 4s from the 787B.

I had no chance of winning, judging by the fastest lap times. But I reckon I could have finished on the podium, if absolutely everything went right.:yuck:

Raybrig 51, R89 41, BMW 35, 787B 30, GT-ONE 18

Race 8 - Infineon Raceway Stock (8 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R1 tyres 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:07.137
Race Fastest Lap: 1:05.591 (787B)

Qualified on pole by 0.6s from the R89, GT-ONE, BMW, and 787B. Chose R1 tyres as I didn't won't to break the 2 second qualifying rule (see rules in my first post of this thread).

I accelerate away to a 1.9s lead after one lap but soon the R89 is all over me, with a train of cars behind him. I try to hold out for as long as possible, but I am getting no grip through the corners on the hard tyres. :indiff:

In the end, the pressure told and after a fierce battle of passing and re-passing for the lead, the R89 gets by me for good on lap 6. I get shoved down to 4th at one stage but get back up to 2nd with one final push of the power boost. But after using it all up the GT-ONE passes me on lap 7 and the 787B gets me for 3rd on the final lap.

Under pressure from the BMW for 4th, I go off the road through a sweeping right-hander and he gets me as well. :grumpy: I limp to the finish 18s down on the R89. Could this be the beginning of the end of my championship hopes?:banghead: The selection of R1 tyres had been a bad mistake.

Raybrig 53, R89 51, BMW 38, 787B 34, GT-ONE 24

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R3 tyres 169pts

Fastest Lap: 3:39.699
Race Fastest Lap: 3:27.733 (R89C)

Battling a sore throat today as we go into the final stanza of this championship. Despite an oil change, I just have bugger-all horsepower compared to the A1 cars for this circuit. I get a slipstream from the 787B but can still only manage 4th in qualifying, 6.7s down on pole. The 787B gets pole from the R89 and the BMW so hopefully the R89 is denied a win that would give him a big points lead.

I am hoping for a podium.

The first lap goes alright, as I use my power boost to get past the BMW and stay in touch with the two leaders. However, as usual at this circuit, it was all good to be true. The very place where I always make up a lot of ground, my ace card so to speak, is the final chicane complex. I get a wheel on the dirt entering the final chicane and spin it!!! :grumpy::crazy:

I couldn't believe it. I had the leaders in my sights and would have been right on them at the beginning of the 2nd lap had I not stuffed up.

As it was, the BMW zoomed past me and I battled for 4th with the GT-ONE for the rest of the lap. We were side-by-side for most of it. It was an exciting battle but he got me in the end as I tried to pass on the outside at the final chicane but I ran wide into the sand.:yuck:

In the end it hardly mattered, since the 787B crucially scored the win by less than a second from the R89. This means that the R89 leads me by 2 points heading to the final race. Once again, it will be winner take all.:)

R89 57, Raybrig 55, 787B 44, BMW 42, GT-ONE 27

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R2 tyres 187pts

Fastest Lap: 6:27.391
Race Fastest Lap: unknown

The strategy for this race is to stay as close as possible to the R89, if not lead him, until his tyres go off on the last couple of corners. This stategy almost worked in another championship attempt (see first post of this thread) but the R92 tyres of that race hung on. I hope that it will be different for his cousin R89 this time.:sly:

Anyway, the Raybrig feels really good around the Nurburgring. Perhaps the best handling car I have had at the Ring so far. I qualify 2nd with a mistake-free 6:19.257, albeit 4s down on the 787B. The R89 qualifies 3rd after only doing one lap compared to the 787B's two.

And so to perhaps the most important race of my career...

What follows is perhaps the most thrilling, yet ultimately fruitless races of my career. At the start of the race the handling just isn't there, and I run off the road at Flugplatz and Fuchsrohre and thus am down to 4th. I pass the BMW and the R89 before Bergwerk and hang on for the next lap. There is lots of challenges for position and a few hairy moments in between, let me tell you! :nervous: The BMW crucially gets the R89 for 3rd down the long straight so I am sitting pretty if things remain status quo.

But as usual in this game they do not. I end lap one 5.9s down on the 787B, who is cruising along in front of this raging battle. I can't get away from the BMW and the R89 and in the end the pressure told. I get a wheel off in the grass at Kallenhard and it throws me into the opposite-side bank. :scared: I use my power boost to perform the last of the late-brakers move on both cars into Breidshied. The R89 overtakes the BMW sideways(!!!) on the outside of Bergwerk and he hounds me down the straight. He gets up the inside of me at the fast left-hand sweeper and his rubbing up against me is enough for me to go off the track, spin, and crash into the barrier.:ouch: It's all over. To make matters worse, the GT-ONE plows straight into me:guilty: and we both limp on to the finish.

And so it goes...

In the end, the R89's tyres did hold up and he finishes 2nd, just ahead of the BMW. I manage to overtake the GT-ONE down the final straight to finish a very depressing 4th, ulimately 23s down on the 787B.

Quite depressed right now, but I guess I just have to keep coming back!

Until next time. 👍:

Nissan R89C Race Car 63
Raybrig NSX (JGTC) 58

Mazda 787B Race Car 54
BMW V12 LMR Race Car 46
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TSO20) 29
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 10

Last edited:
Excellent posting and driving. I can't drive that well so it is nice to live vicariously through someone elses experience. 👍👍

Tell me, did the Touring car have its suspension tuned? If not RVV Motorworks has a tune for the Audi that really is sweet.

I'll be watching for your next installment.

Good Luck:)👍

Nice to see you try again, flyingkiwi. It must have been a real sickener at Test Course and Suzuka. This is why I don't go A-Spec point farming. I always brake late and I always try to correct myself when I'm on the straights. "No, it's not straight enough Goddammit!"

Can't believe you let that Nissan spin you at Tsukuba! :crazy: I woulda called interference on that and started the entire race over.

Good write up, +Rep! I gotta start writing stuff up. :indiff:

Nice work mate, and good luck to you.

I think you should change your handle to 'persistentkiwi'...

Looking forward to the rest of it.

Tell me, did the Touring car have its suspension tuned? If not RVV Motorworks has a tune for the Audi that really is sweet.

I could adjust the suspension settings, so I assume it was tuned by Audi.

I will check out the RVV Motorworks, though!👍

I will give the Jaguar XJ220 one more try.

A1 Opposition:
Nissan R89C Race Car
Mazda 787B Race Car
Pescarolo C60 Judd Race Car
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car

Rules:
The rule for qualifying is that I cannot be more than 1 second per minute faster than the fastest A1. For example, in a lap of between 1 and 2 minutes (which most circuits are), I cannot be 2 seconds or more faster than the fastest A1. If I am, I must either a) gain 100kg ballast, b) lose at least 10% horsepower for the race for every 2 seconds I am over, or c) I move to a harder tyre (e.g. R3s to R2s).

An important change is that I can still start from pole position if I break the 1 second per minute rule, instead of also going to the rear of the grid as in previous championships. I felt that in previous championships it was too much of a disadvantage, especially when you consider the A1 cars gain pace throughout the races.

I also cannot use my power boost in qualifying and cannot change my horsepower or tyre settings between qualifying and the race. I can however change my other settings. But I can't change my other settings if I qualify over 1 second per minute faster than the fastest A1.

I can not use my power boost in the race if I qualify over 1 second per minute quicker than the fastest AI.

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty 200 pts

Qualifying: Pole*
Race: IST
My Fastest Lap: 1:00.901
Race Fastest Lap: 1:00.671 (Sauber)

Straight away, I qualify too fast for the field :ouch:(1:00.4s lap puts me just over 2 seconds in front of the Sauber). Therefore, I have to add 100kg ballast.

I get off the line well and cover the Sauber which lets the 787B past both of us. I pass the 787B in the twisty middle section of the circuit and the Sauber follows me past. By the end of the first lap I am 2s in front and the gap remains this way until the final lap where I cruise home for a comfortable win.:) The 787B and the R89 finish 6s behind, and the Pescarolo and Toyota finish 13s back. So, a close field (the Toyota's fastest lap was still a 1:02.027) and a good start to the championship!:)

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres 177 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:06.743
Race Fastest Lap: 1:05.596 (Sauber)

I have never won at this circuit. My best result was a 3rd placing in a Ford GT and the Audi Abt Touring Car. The last time I was here in the Jaguar, I finished 5th. So history is not on my side.

I do a mid-1:08 in qualifying to put myself in 4th for the start. I turn on my power boost and head for the grid. The Sauber is on pole from the 787B and the R89.

I made a big mistake at the start by smashing into the 787B at turn 1, pushing him to the back of the field and having to wait for him to address my indecretion. I get to 2nd at one stage but I can't hold on and run off the circuit a couple of times through the long sweeper. I also have trouble pulling the car up at turn 1. The R89 even passes me under braking there, which is very rare for me. I finish in 4th, 10s behind the Sauber, who wins by 8s from the R89. The Sauber does a lap 1 second faster than anyone else to show his dominance.

In hindsight, R3 tyres would have been much better.

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres 177pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:17.783
Race Fastest Lap: 1:17.672 (Sauber)

One of my favored tracks where I won with the Jag last time.

I qualify on pole comfortably from the Sauber by 1.6s, after a less than perfect lap.
The Pescarolo surprises everyone by qualifying in 3rd.

I make a mistake at turn 6 on lap 1 to allow the Sauber through. But once my tyres warm up I pass him at turn 10 a lap later. But the Sauber doesn't let me get away and in the end I win by 1.8s. The Pescarolo stays ahead of the R89 and the 787B throughout the race and finishes in a well-deserved 3rd, albeit 14s behind me.

So, this championship is rapidly turning into a two-horse race.

Race 4 - Autumn Ring - B (9 laps)

Stage 3 Turbo (773hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:13.122
Race Fastest Lap: 1:11.280 (Nissan R89)

A 1:13.1 proves to be too fast for the field in qualifying, even with a stage 3 turbo. This is due to the fact that the A1s almost always go off the course at turn 9 in the middle of the circuit.

I put on 100kg extra ballast and start the race on the front row with the Pescarolo. The Sauber starts from grid 3. The Mazda starts last.

I hold onto my lead for the first 4 laps. The Pescarolo, me and the GT-ONE are the only cars not to have multiple offs at turn 9 during the race. The Sauber goes to the rear of the field after having the worst off on lap 1. He never really recovers and finishes last, 15 seconds down, a big upset. The GT-ONE holds off the R89 for the entire race and finishes a brilliant 3rd.

Meanwhile, up front, the Pescarolo gains in strength lap-after-lap and finally gains the lead for good on lap 7 after I cut the turn 5/6 chicane when repassing him after he had passed me on the last turn of the previous lap. I let him back in the lead. A bit too generous? Anyway, the Pescarolo was the faster car on the day. and it is very doubtful whether I could have held him off. I still gain 5 valuable points on the Sauber in the race for the title.

Jaguar 29, Sauber 23, Pescarolo 18, Nissan 15, Mazda 12, Toyota 7

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty, 200pts

My Fastest Lap:1:39.534
Race Fastest Lap:1:39.371 (Pescarolo)

A 1:39.2 sees me qualify on pole from the Nissan by, you won't believe it, 2:048 seconds!!! :ouch:Unbelieveably bad luck which means that I won't be able to use my power boost and yet again I will have to take on 100kg of ballast. The Sauber qualifies in 3rd again. This time the GT-ONE is the best of the rest in 4th, ahead of the high-flying Pescarolo, and the Mazda once again bringing up the rear.

The race is not that exciting and after leading the whole way I win relatively comfortably (by 0.090s:)) from the Sauber, Pescarolo (3 successive podiums), and the Nissan. The GT-ONE and the Mazda finish way down the road.

Race 6 - Grand Valley Speedway B (6 laps)

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres, 177pts

My Fastest Lap:1:40.040 (also Race Fastest Lap)

This is the second half of the championship, then. The stats tell the story. In the first five races, I have won a total of 9 races out of 30 contested. In the second five races of the championship, I have won 3 out of 30. This needs to be corrected if I am to finally be crowned champion.

I qualify in 2nd behind the Sauber with a 1:44.6 after aborting my second lap following a mistake. For the first time since Laguna Seca, I can start with no weight penalty and with my power boost. The Pescarolo again qualifies in 3rd ahead of the Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota.

It turns out to be a thrilling two-horse race. I gain the lead on lap one and hold it until the end of lap 5, where the Sauber gets me at the final turn. I still have about half my power boost left over, however, and I drive the almost the perfect lap to get close enough to have a dive under brakes at the hairpin. I just pull it off, and hold the lead until the finish line! I had spent every last drop of my power boost. This may be the crucial win that I need to kick on and become the champion. The R89 is the best of the rest, finishing 7s down on me and 3s ahead of the Pescarolo.

Jaguar 49, Sauber 35, Pescarolo 25, Nissan 22, Mazda 15, Toyota 10

Stage 4 Turbo (934hp), R2 tyres, 186pts

Race: 6th
My Fastest Lap:1:52.020
Race Fastest Lap:1:47.098 (Sauber)

I have never won at this circuit in this championship. Incredibly, my best finish has been 4th. Really hoping to improve on that. I qualify with a 1:53.0, which puts me in 2nd, 0.8s slower than the Sauber. The 787B surprises by taking 3rd ahead of the R89, Pescarolo and the GT-ONE.

I have lost 16hp due to not doing an oil change. I'm hoping this doesn't cost me that much in laptimes.

I lose out to the Sauber at the start and I quickly realise that there will be no catching him and I decide to concentrate on keeping the 787B and the R89 behind me. It was no easy task. The 787B gets passed me a few times and at one stage I drop to 4th after a mistake or two. But I use my power boost to get back up to second but I am hanging on by my fingernails. Eventually, all my power boost is gone and the 787B finally gets me at turn 9 on the last lap. I was content with 3rd but I made a dreadful mistake by running wide at the exit of Spoon and since all the other cars were backed up behind me, I drop to last place. The Sauber wins at a canter by 19s from the 787B and the R89. The Suzuka curse strikes again!:grumpy:

My other big mistake was being too conservative on tyre choice. The Sauber is now only 5 points behind me!:nervous:

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R2 tyres, 200kg ballast (100kg ballast penalty), 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:06.971
Race Fastest Lap: 1:04.753 (Sauber)

I have only won at this circuit once before, in an Abt Audi, and it is crucial now to put another win on the board.

Added a 100kg ballast on but I still qualified way too quick for the field with a 1:06.0. So I have to put on an extra 100kg ballast and once again I will have to race without my power boost. The Sauber qualifies in 2nd and the Mazda is in 3rd. The R89 has a shocker and qualifies last.

I held the Sauber out for 7 laps but then he passes me on lap 8. To compound matters, the 787B and I fight for 3rd but in our fighting, the Pescarolo passes us both and finishes 2nd!!! :grumpy:I finish a very dejected 4th. I have lost the championship lead.:guilty: That's twice in a row I have faded horribly in the dying stages of a race.

Sauber 55, Jaguar 53, Pescarolo 34, R89 27, 787B 25, Toyota 14

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R3 tyres, 150pts

Qualifying:Pole
My Fastest Lap: 3:27.821
Race Fastest Lap:3:23.244

Back to the scene of the recently completed 24 hour race, which I won in a Mazda RX-8 Race Car.

I qualify on pole by 0.1s! (3:29.390):dopey: Once again the Sauber is in 2nd with the 787B in 3rd.

I hold the Sauber under the Mulsanne corner where he forces me outwide and I spin:yuck: I chase after him but in the end he is too quick and I have to settle for 2nd in the race and in the championship.:indiff:

I noticed that the Sauber is much quicker in this sprint race than he was in the 24 hour race, to the tune of 4 seconds.

Stage 4 Turbo (950hp), R3 tyres 150pts

Qualifying: 6th
Race: DNF
Fastest Lap: 6:30.750
Race Fastest Lap: Unknown

Chose R3s as I had nothing to lose. They couldn't last for two laps in qualifying or the race. So I retired after completing one lap. I was only in 5th at the time. The Sauber wins from the 787B. Once again the competition proves too much in the second half of the season. Back to the drawing board.

Final Championship Points:

Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car 75
Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car 59
Pescarolo C60 Judd Race Car 40
Mazda 787B Race Car 35
Nissan R89C Race Car 33
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car 17

Last edited:
Nissan R89C Race Car
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car
Mazda 787B Race Car
Audi R8
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan Pennzoil Nismo GT-R (JGTC)

Rules:
The rule for qualifying is that I cannot be more than 1 second per minute faster than the fastest A1. For example, in a lap of between 1 and 2 minutes (which most circuits are), I cannot be 2 seconds or more faster than the fastest A1. If I am, I must either a) gain 100kg ballast, b) lose at least 10% horsepower for the race for every 2 seconds I am over, or c) I move to a harder tyre (e.g. R3s to R2s).

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty 200 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:01.839
Race Fastest Lap: 1:00.127 (Minolta)

A 1:01.4 is too fast for the opposition, so I have to start the championship with a 100kg ballast penalty and no power boost.:grumpy: The R89 qualifies in 2nd, with the Minolta and the 787B making up the 2nd row.

I lose the start to the R89 and I am in 3rd until I pass the 787B and the R89 just before the start-finish line to complete the first lap. I finally get the lead for good from the R89 on lap 3 but once the 787B gets past the R89 he closes up rapidly to my tail and in the end I only win by 0.5s. The Audi R8 and the Minolta finish in a dead heat, both exactly 4.121s behind me!:odd:

The Minolta team would be very disappointed to finish 5th but still have the fastest lap by a second from everyone else.

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R3 tyres, 169 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:05.008 (Race Fastest Lap)

A low 1:07 puts me on pole, 0.2s ahead of the Minolta. It should be a good race.

I drop places at the start as expected and I end up in 3rd behind the Minolta and the fast-starting R89. I am soon past the R89 and I outbrake the Minolta at turn 1 on lap 2. I never lose the lead after that and I use my power boost on the last 2 laps to actually pull away more and eventually win by 3.9s from the Minolta and the R89. :)The car was handling beautifully. It's my first ever win at this circuit for the All-Stars championship so at this stage I'm a happy man.:gtpflag:

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R2 tyres, 200kg ballast penalty, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:18.428
Race Fastest Lap: 1:18.242 (787B)

Back to earth with a bang as my pole lap (1:16) is more than 4 seconds quicker than the 787B! This time I have to take a 200kg weight penalty.

I am never headed during the race despite my weight penalty, and I keep a 5s lead until the end of the race where I eventually win by 4s from the 787B. That is 5 wins in a row for me at Laguna Seca in the All-Stars championship and 3 wins in a row to start off this championship. Things are looking good so far!👍

Pennzoil 30, 787B 15, R89 12, Minolta 11, Audi 7, Gillet 3

Race 4 - Autumn Ring B (9 laps)

Stage 3 Turbo (693hp), R1 tyres, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:11.059
Race Fastest Lap: 1:10.924 (787B)

I have to go back to a stage 3 turbo with R1 tyres in order not to be too fast in qualifying. I end up in 2nd (1:14.6), 0.2s down on the R89.

It is a very exciting race. I pass the R89 on lap 1 at the hairpin and I hold him off until the end of lap 5, where I make a mistake at the final turn. I thought it was all over after I made another mistake at the start of lap 7, but the R89 runs off the road at the infamous turn 8. He rejoins just in front of me, and since I had already used up my power boost, there was nothing I could do. I had to concentrate on holding off the Audi R8 for the rest of the race and I finish 2.7s behind the R89 with the Audi right on my tail. It is the end of my winning streak, but 2nd was not bad at all considering I only had a stage 3 turbo with R1 tyres.

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R3 tyres, 200pts

My Fastest Lap:1:39.673 (Race Fastest Lap)

Qualfying was a disappointment since I couldn't get a slipstream from anyone due to a mini-spin on my outlap.

However, the race is a different story and I use my power boost to catch up with the pack and I battle with the pole-sitting Audi R8 for most of the race for the lead. I use my power boost again as we near the finish line and I win comfortably.

I now have 46 points at the halfway stage of the championship. My previous best was 39 with the Jaguar and the Honda Raybrig. I must keep up the momemtum in the second half of the championship!

Pennzoil 46, R89 25, 787B 19, Minolta 18, Audi 17, Gillet 5

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R1 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:43.584
Race Fastest Lap: 1:40.656 (787B)

Despite having R1 tyres I qualify on pole by 2.1s so once again I have to get that weight penalty with no power boost available.🤬

My start was very poor and I was down to 5th by the first corner. The Gillet was up to 3rd by the first corner! He dropped back quickly however and I was in 3rd by the end of lap one behind the R89 and the 787B.

I pass the 787B in the middle section of lap 2 and am doing well considering my ballast penalty but inexplicably I spin it at turn 5 in the tunnel on lap 3 and in trying to rejoin the track I hinder the Minolta so I have to let him go. I am down in 4th and have to hold off the Audi until the finish. I finish 19s down on the R89.

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:50.707
Race Fastest Lap: 1:47.840 (Minolta)

A 1:49.3 puts me 2.8s ahead so once again a 100kg ballast penalty with no power boost. The problem is due to the Gillet being at the head of the queue for qualifying and thus holding up the runners behind him. The Minolta qualifies in 2nd with the 787B in 3rd.
My closest rival for the championship, the R89, is way down in 5th.

I drop my usual two places at the start and am behind the Minolta and the Audi until I pass the Audi with a good move at Degner. On lap 2 I am right behind the Minolta and I lead briefly but he repasses me on the run to 130R and I am smart enough now to just settle for 2nd. In one of my more mature drives I drive the car just within its limits and in the end finish 9s down on the Minolta and just ahead of a close battle for 3rd, with the Audi leading the pack. That is by far my best result at this circuit for this championship and I go into the final 3 races with a 18 point lead. Surely it's mine this time!

Pennzoil 55, R89 37, Minolta 32, 787B 28, Audi 23, Gillet 7

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R1 tyres, 200pts

Race: 3rd
My Fastest Lap: 1:06.219
Race Fastest Lap: 1:05.3 (Nissan R89)

A 1:07.7 in qualifying puts me on pole and for once I am not too fast for the opposition. The R89 qualifies in 2nd ahead of the Minolta and the 787B. The grid actually lines up in order of their championship positions.

I lead by 0.9s after one lap but I spin it on the outside of turn 4 and I resume in 5th. I work my way back up to 3rd but after a few untidy, desparate laps I realise that it is as far as I can go. I hold station and use the power boost at the end to hold onto a podium finish, 10s behind the R89.

My lead is now down to 12 points!!! Can I hang on???:nervous:

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R3 tyres, 169pts

My Fastest Lap: 3:31.060
Race Fastest Lap: 3:24.995 (Minolta)

A 3:28.643 is good enough for a crucial pole by 1.2s from the Minolta and the R89. I hope the Minolta can keep the R89 behind him.

It's all over for me on the first corner, however. The Minolta gets up the inside of me heading to the first chicane and he pushes me to the outside and onto the dirt where I spin off into the sand! :scared:I rejoin but I am in last and all I can manage is to get up to 4th by the end of the race. Crucially, the Minolta beats the R89, even though the R89 had the lead briefly. That means I lead by 9 points going into the final round. All I have to do is finish 5th, which even I should be able to do!👍

Stage 4 Turbo (860hp), R2 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty, 200pts

Fastest Lap: 6:19.244
Race Fastest Lap: 6:11.876 (787B)

A 6:11.0 is 7s quicker than the 787B so I have to take a 100kg ballast penalty with no power boost for the last race of the championship. The Minolta and the R89 make up the front row. The car feels good and unless I retire I will be the champion so I will enjoy this race!

For the second race in a row I spin out of the lead at the start of the race! I brake too hard at Schwedenkrenz and lose the rear of the car. I rejoin in 5th but I launch a counter-attack to get myself back upto 3rd before another off at Eiskurve. Back down to 4th again, I drive hard but have another mini-mistake at Kesselchen and follow the Audi for the rest of the race and we get passed the ailing Minolta for 3rd and 4th respectfully. The 787B wins comfortably from the R89. But I am finally the champion!!!:cheers:

Final Standings:
Nissan Pennzoil Nismo GT-R (JGTC) 65
Nissan R89C Race Car 59
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 50
Mazda 787B Race Car 44
Audi R8 32
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 10

Last edited:
I want to win against the R92 this time and I have lucked into what is on paper on awesome lineup:
Pagani Zonda LM Race Car 694hp, 1,150kg
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car 987hp, 893kg
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 965hp, 850kg
Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car 534hp, 1080kg
Nissan R92CP Race Car 1001hp, 900kg
Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) 1080kg

No rule changes from previous Championship.

Stage 3 Turbo (757hp), R1 tyres, 100kg ballast penalty, 179 pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:01.284
Race Fastest Lap: 1:00.318 (Minolta)

I am just outside the 2 second limit by the barest of margins so I have to start the championship with no power boost and a 100kg penalty.:grumpy: I will do my best! Somewhat surprisingly, the Minolta qualifies on the front row, with the Sauber and the R92 behind. I can only think they were held up by the slower Zonda and Mazda.

It was a good race to start the championship. As expected, I made a relatively poor start and was in 3rd by the first turn, having successfully blocked the Sauber. The Minolta lead from the R92 until I passed them both on the final turn by manoeuvring myself between them.:dopey:

I pull away for the next few laps to a 3.5s lead but the Sauber moves into 2nd and starts closing in on me. By the last lap he is right on my tail but luckily we come up to lap the Mazda RX-7 on the final turn and the Sauber gets stuck behind him. Therefore, I win by about 1.5s from the Sauber, R92 and Minolta. Just the sort of start I needed against these heavy-hitters.

Stage 4 Turbo (973hp), R2 tyres, 10pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:04.510 (Race Fastest Lap)

A 1:06.3 puts me on pole by 1.3s from the Sauber and the Minolta. Hilariously, I didn't add a power boost to this car before entering the championship. After winning the race, I decide to start again with the Raybrig, equipped with power boost, against what will hopefully be a similar lineup.

Last edited:
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 965hp, 850kg
Pescarolo C60 Judd Race Car 846hp, 900kg
Nissan R92C Race Car 1001hp, 900kg
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 657hp, 1,100kg
Nissan R89C Race Car 968hp, 900kg
Honda Raybrig NSX (JGTC) 1,150kg

Rules:
Only rule change is that I will now be penalised 200kg ballast for going over the 1 second per minute barrier in qualifying (see previous posts for explanation). This will make it more of a challenge to win and it will discourage me from being too fast in qualifying.

Stage 3 Turbo (715hp), R2 tyres, 200pts

Qualifying: 3rd
My Fastest Lap: 1:01.025
Race Fastest Lap: 1:00.964 (R92)

I only put on a stage 3 turbo due to being too fast in qualifying here in the past. Thus, the car is lacking in horsepower and a low 1:03s lap puts me 3rd on the grid, 0.5s down on the R92 with his cousin R89 sharing the front row of the grid. But I have the power boost this time!:dopey: I also lessen the gear ratios to 17/25, since they were too long in qualifying. I was hardly getting into 6th gear.

It was a fantastic race. I drop to 4th at the start but pass the Minolta in the twisty middle section and then pass the R89 coming onto the main straight. He gets me again but I pass him again in the middle section. I slipstream the R92 down the main straight and pass him across the start-finish line. I hang onto my lead by driving the car straight and the Minolta actually passes the R92 to take 2nd. The first four stay in a nose-to-tail battle for the rest of the race. The Minolta after he scares me briefly by taking the lead coming onto the main straight for the final time. I had plenty of slipstream left, however, and I use it to get back past him and win by 0.5s. The Pescarolo finishes in 5th, about 5s behind the main bunch. The best thing about this Raybrig is its easy handling. Onto Japan!

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R2 tyres, 187pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:08.005
Race Fastest Lap: 1:05.663 (R92)

I should have selected R3 tyres since I am nowhere in qualifying, more than 2s down on the R92.

The race was a disappointment. The car was not handling that well and I had no grip at the final turn for the first couple of laps. I finish a lowly 5th. The Nissan R92 wins after being 4th after the first turn.

Upfront it was a fantastic battle, with the Minolta and both Nissans leading at various stages. But I was sadly nowhere near it. It was a poor decision not to go with the R3s.👎

My Fastest Lap: 1:18.405
Race Fastest Lap: 1:18.347 (R92)

This circuit is my banker: I have won here the last 5 times and hopefully I can win again to take back the championship lead.

I wasn't at my best in qualifying and was stuck behind the Pescarolo for some time before finally posting a time quick enough for 2nd on the grid behind the R89, who took a surprise pole.

I follow the R89 for the first lap before making a move at turn 2 on lap 2. I pull away to a 2.3s lead by the end of lap 3 before the two Nissans start gaining on me again. The next few laps are epic as the two Nissans attack me from all angles. They swap positions after the R89 hits me at the corkscrew and loses track position to me and the R92. We were actually three wide coming out of the corkscrew at one stage! :nervous:The R92 finally takes the lead at the corkscrew on lap 6 and although I have power boost left, there is nothing I can do to catch him. I had a run on him going into turn one on the final lap but my gear ratios were too short and I couldn't get close enough to him to make a pass. :grumpy:I try a final desparate dive at the final turn but I knock him off sideways and give the position back. What a gentleman I am! :dopey:

R92 24, Raybrig 18, Minolta 15, R89 11, Pescarolo 7, GT-R 3

Race 4 - Autumn Ring - B (9 laps)

Stage 3 Turbo (715hp), R2 tyres, 200kg ballast penalty, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:14.219
Race Fastest Lap: 1:10.517

I qualify too fast for the field so I have to take my first ballast penalty of the championship, hopefully my last. The Minolta takes 2nd ahead of the R92 and R89.

I had no chance in the race itself. The Minolta zooms past me straight away and he makes no mistakes all race and finishes more than 7s ahead of the R89. The R92 makes mistakes throughout the race but passes the Pescarolo for 3rd in the last sector of the final lap. I spin on lap 5 and from then on have a lonely race in 5th, actually lapping at the same pace as the GT-R!:ouch:

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R3 tyres, 200pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:39.484 (also Race Fastest Lap)

I simply have to win this race in order to stay in championship contention.

Qualifying doesn't go so well. I can only get a slipstream from the R89 and my gear ratios were set too low. The Pescarolo takes a surprise pole position.

The R92 and me battle for the lead for the entire race but I use my power boost to win by 0.079s. The bad side is that the R92 still finished 2nd which means he still leads the championship by 4 points with his strong races coming up.

R92 34, Raybrig 30, Minolta 29, R89 19, Pescarolo 13, GT-R 5

Qualifying: 3rd
My Fastest Lap: 1:41.276
Race Fastest Lap: 1:40.322 (R92)

I qualify in 3rd, over 2s down on the R92, who along with the Minolta did 3 qualifying laps compared to my 2.

I need the Minolta to take points away from the R92 and he makes a good effort at doing this by winning the start. I drop down to 4th but I am in the lead by the hairpin on the first lap.

I proceed to pull away whilst the Minolta holds back the R92. By lap 3 I am 5.2s but the R92 passes the Minolta and starts closing in. :nervous:

Rather than wait for him to be on my tail, I use the power boost to maintain a 1.5-2s lead over him in the dying laps. But he is still on my tail when we reach the hairpin for the final time. :scared: I have just enough power boost left to cross the line 0.9s ahead!!! One of my best drives under pressure.:)

I am now tied for the championship lead with the R92. The next race will be crucial and it at my least-favored circuit.

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R3 tyres, 160pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:50.064
Race Fastest Lap: 1:48.850 (R89)

A 1:51.5 puts me on pole by 0.7s from the Minolta. Crucial. The R92 only qualifies in 4th. Great!:dopey:

It was a truly epic race. I lead from the start and quickly realise that this is my best chance to win a race at Suzuka. I drive faultlessly throughout the race under the highest pressure but I never have more than a 2s lead. Throughout the race I try to use my power boost on the areas of the circuit in which my car was relatively weak. The Minolta is my main challenger throughtout the race but he loses 2nd to the R89 at the chicane on lap 4. The R89 challenges me for the lead on the last lap but somehow I hold him out. I am still in the lead by the time we reach the chicane for the final time but I have used up all my power boost. The Minolta passes the R89 down the outside into the chicane and lines me up. I use my mirror to try and block him but he slides past on the outside to win by 0.070s. How cruel!!!!:ouch:

I am shattered by not winning but I am proud of my driving in that race and crucially I take the lead in the championship, which I couldn't have dreamed about before a Suzuka race.:)

Raybrig 46, Minolta 43, R92 43, R89 26, Pescarolo 17, GT-R 7

Stage 4 Turbo (866hp), R3 tyres, 162pts

My Fastest Lap: 1:07.374
Race Fastest Lap: 1:05.695 (R92)

I get a crucial pole by 0.490s from the R92. But he will be very hard to hold off during the race with R1 tyres.

And so it proved. He gets me as we start the second lap. There is no stopping the R92 so I concentrate on getting 2nd. But the car lacked grip and the Minolta eventually passes me and a slight mistake means that the R89 also gets by. The R92 thus retakes the lead in the championship and I will have a job trying to wrestle it back at Le Sarthe.

Stage 4 Turbo (869hp), R3 tyres, 169pts

My Fastest Lap: 3:39.893
Race Fastest Lap: 3:24.602

A 3:38 qualifying lap puts me more than 13s down on the R92. I have no chance in this race and the best I can hope for is taking 4th away from the Pescarolo.

I manage to stay with the Pescarolo but I lose it under braking for Mulsane corner on lap 2. Meanwhile, the R92 leads home a Nissan 1-2 to win the championship. The Minolta had led for a while but couldn't hang on.

I will do all I can for a consolation win at the Nurburgring!

Fastest Lap: 6:22.369
Race Fastest Lap: 6:12.172 (R92)

A 6:28s lap puts me 9s down on the R92. This Pescarolo again surprises by qualifying 2nd. I had a couple of mistakes on my qualifying lap due to the car being too unstable on the notorious Green Hell bumps. I make the spring rates slightly tighter.

The race is a disappointment. I close up on the bunch behind the Pescarolo and take 2nd at Breidscheid. But the Pescarolo passes me again just before we hit the Karussell. I do well to hang onto him through the next section but I spin Pflanzgarten II and from then on the race is over for me. I duly come in 5th and the R92 wins once again.

I realise now that perhaps only the Motul pitwork from the JGTC cars can win this championship against the R92 although I would give the Pennzoil an outside chance. So I will attempt the next championship with either one of those cars or the Mazda RX-8 that I won the first Le Mans 24 hour race with.

Thanks for reading!

Final Standings
Nissan R92C Race Car 73
Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car 56
Honda Raybrig NSX (JGTC) 53
Nissan R89C Race Car 42
Pescarolo C60 Judd Race Car 26
Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car 10

Last edited:
Back