- 3,162

- Curitiba
I wrote this aimed at Poliphony developers, but feel free to engage!
I would like to share an idea that I hope you might consider. It does not need to be implemented exactly as described here, my goal is to present a problem that affects many creative players like myself, along with a direction for a possible solution because I think it needs to be considered.
I have spent an inordinate number of hours across both Gran Turismo Sport and Gran Turismo 7, as these screenshots show (also Gran Turismo 4 which I still play to this day). Like many others here on GTPlanet, I’ve owned and played every Gran Turismo game for hundreds (if not thousands) of hours. I am a long-time fan and part of what keeps me engaged with the series today is the creative side of your recent titles.
Most of my time with the game goes into content creation, especially liveries. I am not a designer by trade, nor do I claim to match the incredible talent found in the community, but the creation process itself is deeply enjoyable to me: thinking of a concept, searching for SVGs, iterating endlessly, and finally seeing something that I made looking realistic and just “right” is incredibly rewarding for me, a motorsport fan since I was a kid. For me, the joy is not in the likes, reposts, or comments: it’s in the creative process. And I thank you for providing me this tool to express my creativity.
However, there is a significant limitation: if I spend most of my time creating content, I do not earn enough credits to purchase the cars I need for making new content because time available for playing the game is not infinite. For example, building a grid for custom events, which would be like 20 cars (I have some full grids in my gallery), becomes extremely expensive really fast, depending on the cars involved. This forces creators like me into repetitive grinding, not for racing enjoyment, but simply to unlock the credits we need to keep contributing content to the community.
This leads to the core issue: I am deeply engaged with the game, spending substantial time, and contributing value to the community — yet there is no in-game reward for this engagement and effort. The only viable way to support creative play today is by stepping away from creation and into grind loops, which erodes enjoyment because I am not racing to have fun, I am completing a chore to get credits to get cars and go back to what I want to do.
I understand that game economies are delicate. A system where every shared livery grants credits would be abused instantly, and I would not want the Showcase flooded with blank or single-color uploads just because they produce credits. I also understand that tying rewards purely to likes, comments, or reposts would incentivize artificial inflation and popularity contests, which are easily gamed as is: there are groups of players which mobilize to inflate likes and reposts between themselves, it doesn't bother me as is, but it would be exploited in a second to basically print credits for no effort.
However, I believe there are healthy middle-ground approaches. If creating and sharing liveries, decals, and photos is considered an important pillar of Gran Turismo’s community as much as racing is, then it deserves some form of in-game recognition that supports the creative loop without breaking progression.
There are several potential ways to do this without enabling exploitation, some ideas don't even contemplate credits to be issued, the rewards could simply be cars, for example:
Gran Turismo’s creative community produces value every day. We fill the Showcase with new content, keep the game feeling fresh with endless variations for each car, we help inspire others and keep the social layer active. If racing is rewarded through credits, then creation, which I argue is equally important to the ecosystem, should also be recognized in some structured way.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Regardless of whether this idea evolves into a feature, I want to express how much I appreciate what Gran Turismo has become and how much joy the creative tools have brought me. I hope this message at least helps highlight a friction point that many players quietly work around today.
I would like to share an idea that I hope you might consider. It does not need to be implemented exactly as described here, my goal is to present a problem that affects many creative players like myself, along with a direction for a possible solution because I think it needs to be considered.
I have spent an inordinate number of hours across both Gran Turismo Sport and Gran Turismo 7, as these screenshots show (also Gran Turismo 4 which I still play to this day). Like many others here on GTPlanet, I’ve owned and played every Gran Turismo game for hundreds (if not thousands) of hours. I am a long-time fan and part of what keeps me engaged with the series today is the creative side of your recent titles.
Most of my time with the game goes into content creation, especially liveries. I am not a designer by trade, nor do I claim to match the incredible talent found in the community, but the creation process itself is deeply enjoyable to me: thinking of a concept, searching for SVGs, iterating endlessly, and finally seeing something that I made looking realistic and just “right” is incredibly rewarding for me, a motorsport fan since I was a kid. For me, the joy is not in the likes, reposts, or comments: it’s in the creative process. And I thank you for providing me this tool to express my creativity.
However, there is a significant limitation: if I spend most of my time creating content, I do not earn enough credits to purchase the cars I need for making new content because time available for playing the game is not infinite. For example, building a grid for custom events, which would be like 20 cars (I have some full grids in my gallery), becomes extremely expensive really fast, depending on the cars involved. This forces creators like me into repetitive grinding, not for racing enjoyment, but simply to unlock the credits we need to keep contributing content to the community.
This leads to the core issue: I am deeply engaged with the game, spending substantial time, and contributing value to the community — yet there is no in-game reward for this engagement and effort. The only viable way to support creative play today is by stepping away from creation and into grind loops, which erodes enjoyment because I am not racing to have fun, I am completing a chore to get credits to get cars and go back to what I want to do.
I understand that game economies are delicate. A system where every shared livery grants credits would be abused instantly, and I would not want the Showcase flooded with blank or single-color uploads just because they produce credits. I also understand that tying rewards purely to likes, comments, or reposts would incentivize artificial inflation and popularity contests, which are easily gamed as is: there are groups of players which mobilize to inflate likes and reposts between themselves, it doesn't bother me as is, but it would be exploited in a second to basically print credits for no effort.
However, I believe there are healthy middle-ground approaches. If creating and sharing liveries, decals, and photos is considered an important pillar of Gran Turismo’s community as much as racing is, then it deserves some form of in-game recognition that supports the creative loop without breaking progression.
There are several potential ways to do this without enabling exploitation, some ideas don't even contemplate credits to be issued, the rewards could simply be cars, for example:
- Rewarding creators based on complexity or time spent working on a livery
- Factoring in number of decals, layers, or editing operations as a proxy for effort
- Rewarding sustained contribution over time rather than individual uploads: if I am uploading liveries since the launch week (as I actually am!), I get more than someone starting today
- A separate “creator progression cafe/menu thingy” that unlocks you credits along the way
- Non-credit rewards (tickets, invitations, vouchers, or limited tokens redeemable for cars)
- An aggregate of all of this
Gran Turismo’s creative community produces value every day. We fill the Showcase with new content, keep the game feeling fresh with endless variations for each car, we help inspire others and keep the social layer active. If racing is rewarded through credits, then creation, which I argue is equally important to the ecosystem, should also be recognized in some structured way.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Regardless of whether this idea evolves into a feature, I want to express how much I appreciate what Gran Turismo has become and how much joy the creative tools have brought me. I hope this message at least helps highlight a friction point that many players quietly work around today.