Gran Turismo and Arthritis....

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 20 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ian Bick
Hi,

I am looking for a little help here! Please bear with me - This might take a moment to two to explain...

I am over 60 years old. I have Arthritis in almost every joint. It's called Polysymmetric. It's grim to put it mildly! Stiff, sore, loss of movement etc.

I have a wheel and a seat ( Fanatec and a Playseat Challenge )

I am finding it ever more difficult to get in and out of the "rig". I am increasingly uncomfortable in the rig.

Does anyone here have a similar issue and, if so, what was the solution please? I really don't want to quit playing. I am not quick but I do have sooooo much fun trying to catch beings from another world!👽👽👽

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

I had a wheel and a playseat challenge borrowed for a summer and because of space issues and a baby i am back on the Dualsense. And it's still great. I love it. If your hands are ok, maybe try it.

I have the same problem and found my way was get a decent office chair, take the wheels off and a mate put a little weld on it
to stop the chair spinning, my wheel is bolted to the table, sorted.
psn stewyripper looking to add more friends i am 71, send a friend request if you like.

Hi,

I am looking for a little help here! Please bear with me - This might take a moment to two to explain...

I am over 60 years old. I have Arthritis in almost every joint. It's called Polysymmetric. It's grim to put it mildly! Stiff, sore, loss of movement etc.

I am finding it ever more difficult to get in and out of the "rig". I am increasingly uncomfortable in the rig.

Does anyone here have a similar issue and, if so, what was the solution please? I really don't want to quit playing. I am not quick but I do have sooooo much fun trying to catch beings from another world!👽👽👽

Ian.
It seems to me you need to be a bit of a contortionist to get in and out of a playseat challenge. If you have the funds, perhaps a better rig would be easier for you. I have a GT Omega that I can sit sideways on the seat, then swivel my legs round to the pedals without any difficulty, (and I'm a fat, unathletic 53 year old!)

Last edited:
As above, if funds & space allow a rig would be an ideal solution. I'm in my 50s with a dodgy back and the playseat wasn't ideal. I've got a GT Omega Prime Lite now, massive upgrade.

I don't dislike my playseat but I totally get what you mean. It is not the easiest to get in and out of at all and I'm a pretty spry fella for being a 45 year old with years of abuse on my body. My biggest gripe with it is that the head rest pushes my head forward enough that after a time my neck needs a break. I don't have any advice other than possibly finding a rig that fits your frame and helps you with accessibility (if space isn't an issue.)

Hi,

Ian.
Depending on your budget I think you need a conventional aluminium profile sim rig with a GT/standard driving position. The rig could be raised to any height you needed in order to aid you getting in and out.

@Ian JB - I'd also recommend buying a Passion Automotive Type S lumbar support (or similar), especially if the seat doesn't have one. Made all the difference with my Playseat Evolution, from being very uncomfortable to being able to sit on it for hours at a time. Well worth the extra few quid.

Passion Automotive Type R Lumbar Support.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for that. I appreciate you taking the time here.

I am looking at several options now. I am sure I can get "comfortable" within budget and space - Neither are particularly
restricted ( Please don't tell the wife!!! )

It might even make me slightly quicker! Blimey :-)

Ian.

Hi,

Thank you for that. I appreciate you taking the time here.

I am looking at several options now. I am sure I can get "comfortable" within budget and space - Neither are particularly
restricted ( Please don't tell the wife!!! )

It might even make me slightly quicker! Blimey :-)

Ian.
If price isn't an issue, then a fully adjustable seat with built-in lumbar support would be best (I would avoid bucket seats altogether).

I race literally in a comfy Ikea armchair with a pillow in my back. On the straits I rest my elbows on the armrests if I get tired XD

I saw the GT Omega Apex wheelstand has a very convenient chair holder attached so even with heavy load cell pedals (which I dont reckon you're using) you dont push the chair away.

Get a comfy chair that suits you, lower the resistance from FFB and pedals, and maybe get a make/model pedals and wheelstand or rig that allows more customization to make it more ergonomic and comfortable for you.
Dont give up yet, Im 99 percent sure theres a way to make this work for you :)

I don't dislike my playseat but I totally get what you mean. It is not the easiest to get in and out of at all and I'm a pretty spry fella for being a 45 year old with years of abuse on my body. My biggest gripe with it is that the head rest pushes my head forward enough that after a time my neck needs a break. I don't have any advice other than possibly finding a rig that fits your frame and helps you with accessibility (if space isn't an issue.)
Used a little cussion in the back for the headrest problem. Was perfect.
I use a cushion as well. I have one slid in the "pocket" at the back. It works well to provide lumbar support and to hold my body far enough forward so the head rest does not cause issues. You can see the red pillow in the photo below.

IMG_7386.jpeg

I'm 61 and using the playseat Trophy, i can say it's extremely comfortable, not a single pain, and i have low back pain often, and honestly I'm very picky about chairs, none seem comfortable enough for me but this seat is, and it's not even a full seat it's just a cushined fabric hanging from the frame, but for me it's perfect. Of course you will have to try it for yourself and see how it works for you, if you can contact someone in your area that uses it, maybe through the forum? (i'm living in Barcelona so if you visit the city i will gladly invite you to try it).

I have the playseat trophy as well and do love it, but I think it could be tricky to get into and out of for someone with joint trouble, you have to step over the bars to get in and it is more of a formula seating position. I think a more GT upright seat, with a nice easy opening would be perfect for you.

Hi,

Thank you all again for the input! I really do appreciate it. All of it!!!

This is what I have come up with so far....

A race seat mounted on rails with lock pins. A cable run that allows movement back and forth. Release lock pins and slide seat back. Place butt in seat. Scoot forward using my feet to pull seat into position. Sprung loads lock pins engage and secure seat into position. Play Gran Turismo. Release lock pins and push back with feet. Remove butt from seat.

I am still drawing it all up here but on paper it looks like my ideal solution. I have done a little testing and I am pleased to say the least.

When I have finished it all, I will make all the plans and drawings and part number available to anyone who wants a copy!

Ian.

Hi,

Thank you all again for the input! I really do appreciate it. All of it!!!

This is what I have come up with so far....

A race seat mounted on rails with lock pins. A cable run that allows movement back and forth. Release lock pins and slide seat back. Place butt in seat. Scoot forward using my feet to pull seat into position. Sprung loads lock pins engage and secure seat into position. Play Gran Turismo. Release lock pins and push back with feet. Remove butt from seat.

I am still drawing it all up here but on paper it looks like my ideal solution. I have done a little testing and I am pleased to say the least.

When I have finished it all, I will make all the plans and drawings and part number available to anyone who wants a copy!

Ian.
I have RA arthritis 66 years old ,I did for years have an opelgt seat mounted on wooden platform,. Then several years ago I got old; hard to get in/out was hard before the RA set in.Now I'm using a XRocker seat with the round base and a next level wheelstand/G29.I made a bracket to keep from moving wheelstand or seat away from each other. I could post pictures if you would like.

Attachments

• 20230912_102445.jpg
    20230912_102445.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_102438.jpg
    20230912_102438.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_102420.jpg
    20230912_102420.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_102125.jpg
    20230912_102125.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_102108.jpg
    20230912_102108.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_101934.jpg
    20230912_101934.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_101925.jpg
    20230912_101925.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_101915.jpg
    20230912_101915.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230912_101845.jpg
    20230912_101845.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_101831.jpg
    20230912_101831.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230912_101822.jpg
    20230912_101822.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230912_101615.jpg
    20230912_101615.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230912_101326.jpg
    20230912_101326.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230912_101316.jpg
    20230912_101316.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 5
You will notice that I added angle blocks under wheel this is because the wheel didn't sit right. The different holes in seat bracket has several holes,that's so my 8 year old grandson can reach the pedals. The seat will move a little not enough to notice after a while. The piece of carpet is there because I drive barefoot. The extra large brake pedal is because I find the shifter useless on the G29,I also left foot brake. I got tired of getting foot caught between brake/clutch pedal. Look it over and ask any questions you might think of. The sound of the XROCKER is OK nothing to brag about. I think I got the seat for somewhere around 100 us dollars. The wheelstand was around 250 I think,the brake pedal was around 30/40 I really like the brake pedal. The chair arms don't get in my way it does say not to use them for support as they are plastic, I do use them getting in/out of chair. I'm thinking about buying some better speakers for the chair. The blocks under the wheel was a hit and miss thing took a while to get it to feel good, also had to use longer bolts just make sure they don't go too far into wheel base so you don't mess up wheel. The bolt in seat base has a hole drilled through it so bracket doesn't come loose.

Back