Gran Turismo career

Which type of SP campaing do you prefer?

• Old school GT career - from rags to riches - low structure and high degree of freedom

Votes: 68 91.9%
  • Story based career such as GRID - high structure and medium degree of freedom

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Driving missions such as GT caffe - high sturcuture and low degree of freedom

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Ambivalent_
I prefer max degree of freedom and an old-school GT career (but with plenty of events and championships for minimal grinding) and I would hate the idea of GT going story mode. GT7 was marketed as a return to old-school SP approach and it is anything but due to its reliance on Caffe missions.

IMO, Polyphony never should have fixed the thing that isn't broken, not only was their SP not broken but it was one of the highlights of the previous games. Now we get pretentious stuff that nobody asks for instead of just reverting to one of the things that made GT great. With this poll, I want to check out if I am just an old cynic or do people share my opinion.

I prefer max degree of freedom and an old-school GT career (but with plenty of events and championships for minimal grinding) and I would hate the idea of GT going story mode. GT7 was marketed as a return to old-school SP approach and it is anything but due to its reliance on Caffe missions.

IMO, Polyphony never should have fixed the thing that isn't broken, not only was their SP not broken but it was one of the highlights of the previous games. Now we get pretentious stuff that nobody asks for instead of just reverting to one of the things that made GT great. With this poll, I want to check out if I am just an old cynic or do people share my opinion.
You missed an option. No career mode.

A "career" style campaign, by it's very definition, places an end to the game in some manner. The game should be infinitely open ended. Something along the lines of Duolingo, where you complete a challenge and level it up to the next difficulty.

Sunday cup 450 races, as an example, become pointless within hours of starting the game because they are so easy. But, if you leveled it up with every victory, then the game becomes truly interesting and open ended.

The career part of the single player could essentially, in my eyes, be something similar to the GT league menu from GT1.

That made me feel like i was entering actual championships back in the day rather than a one weekend race like single events.
Simple 3 race starter/B license championship (high speed ring, small brands hatch and Tsukuba would make a good trio for this)
followed by incrementally difficult/faster/longer championships so there's something for everyone and what car they want to use!

1658963457208.png

How much better would this be?? It can even make use of the licenses!
Not to mention the potential for all sort of 'cup' types that can be added.
The prize money worked in it, you got a prize car (that you can sell! - what a novel feature eh?)
and Finally, they had optional test runs and qualifying in, or you could just race as per normal. Again, they could do it in '98, but not in 2022?

The point is that rags to riches is what Gran Turismo has always been based on, but every iteration seems to get further and further away from the glory days of the first games. The Café way of doing things is too linear and thus completed quickly with zero end game purpose. A couple of single player races to enter that aren't covered by the Café, but that's more like wrapping up what's left and not going to keep retention of people who don't want to go online.

---

The Café idea isn't bad in itself, but having it centre stage over how the first 4 games did things is.

---

You missed an option. No career mode.

A "career" style campaign, by it's very definition, places an end to the game in some manner. The game should be infinitely open ended. Something along the lines of Duolingo, where you complete a challenge and level it up to the next difficulty.

Sunday cup 450 races, as an example, become pointless within hours of starting the game because they are so easy. But, if you leveled it up with every victory, then the game becomes truly interesting and open ended.
I think you should be able to 100% complete the game like in the early GT games. The open-end campaign can also be featured with the inclusion of online component (temporary SP and MP events that don't count toward the % of game progress). In the earlier games since there was no Internet, we grinded the career events to buy and modify more cars and have some fun.

The career part of the single player could essentially, in my eyes, be something similar to the GT league menu from GT1.

That made me feel like i was entering actual championships back in the day rather than a one weekend race like single events.
Simple 3 race starter/B license championship (high speed ring, small brands hatch and Tsukuba would make a good trio for this)
followed by incrementally difficult/faster/longer championships so there's something for everyone and what car they want to use!

View attachment 1177484

How much better would this be?? It can even make use of the licenses!
Not to mention the potential for all sort of 'cup' types that can be added.
The prize money worked in it, you got a prize car (that you can sell! - what a novel feature eh?)
and Finally, they had optional test runs and qualifying in, or you could just race as per normal. Again, they could do it in '98, but not in 2022?

The point is that rags to riches is what Gran Turismo has always been based on, but every iteration seems to get further and further away from the glory days of the first games. The Café way of doing things is too linear and thus completed quickly with zero end game purpose. A couple of single player races to enter that aren't covered by the Café, but that's more like wrapping up what's left and not going to keep retention of people who don't want to go online.

---

The Café idea isn't bad in itself, but having it centre stage over how the first 4 games did things is.

---
Very well said, especially the point about how every GT goes further and further away from what made the first games great. Regarding the Cafe, such a mode would be viable as an additional mode as a DLC or as a mode you unlock after you 100% the game or something.

Personally, I am a big fan of GT1, much more than any other GT title but one can imagine their favorite early GT game with all the bells and whistles PS5 could offer. Proper championships with qualifications, authentic pit-stops, improved visual damage (compare to the GT5 where it was first introduced and peaked), hundreds of events and dozens of championships (playtested by PD to ensure a gradual progression and overall balance no matter the player's choice). It could be a 100h long carRPG and an ultimate virtual driving experience (hc players can raise the simulation levels that would surpass iRacing and AC while more casual players can opt for a more arcadey approach with no penalties).

I miss the manufacturer races from gt4.
Those were a good idea. In order for GT not to be grindy when a player tries to 100% the SP, we would need as much events as possible.

Last edited:
The latest patch again, adds more woes to the single player. Catch the rabbit races again where the front car is faster than you in anything but a few meta cars 🤦‍♂️ so what's the point? (the last book goes the complete opposite direction with the ability to chose ANY road car regardless of tuning).

Standing start and qualifying would absolutely unlock the latest café books like a dream, and many races that are currently in the game already!
Some are just glorified mission races.

Last edited:

PD realised they needed to revamp the series in PS4, as there were some titles on the console market to dispute the share of the "almost simulators" but, as always, PD is completely alienated from what users want and they decided to fix things that didn't need to be fixed, as you say, specially deciding they didn't need a proper single player career mode. In GT Sport they said it was an of sequence of the series title, but now the same mistake again. The only difference is that they took a step back on the idea "current gamers don't want to upgrade their cars part by part, they want a secondary currency in the game and just by weight reductions and power upgrades" .
Oddly, the other competitors, like Project Cars, Assetto Corsa or even Forza Motorsport on XBox have some sort of single player career mode, something PD just doesn't seem to care about.

The lobbies are another stuff, they had something that worked fine on PS3, now, more than 10 years later, they can't figure it out just because they decided it needed to be fixed and should only focus the online racing on sanctioned events.

They seem to think people will be happy waiting the issues will be addressed in future (God knows when) updates.

At this moment there are grinders that have collected all the cars in the game and others almost there, maybe PD is waiting that people collect all the cars or just give up on the game if they aren't into grinding or daily races to put out a decent career mode.
On GT Sport (after all it wasn't even supposed to have a career mode) took PD just two months to pull out a GT League.

But these are the guys that decided it was not a great idea to be able to sell duplicate cars, despite advertising otherwise...

Last edited:
Back