Gran Turismo Film Crew Spotted at Nurburgring Ahead of 24 Hour Race

• Thread starter Famine
  • 44 comments
It's not that difficult a concept - money PD spends on film crews is money they don't spend on coding and fixing the game.
PD’s dev budget is independent to Sony’s marketing spend.

I distinctly recall some on this forum stating Gran Turismo is a declining franchise. As such GT7 wouldn’t receive a marketing push commensurate with other AAA blockbusters.

As we stand here today GT7 is one of the years best selling titles. With a real possibility of being the best selling entry in the franchise. So yeah, of course Sony will continue to market one of the pillars of their PS5/PS4 line-up.
Yes, and their budget for coding led them to this exact situation, with a litany of bugs on top of bad game design.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that people are a little annoyed at PD engaging in some frivolous marketing activity when they launched a broken and flawed game that they haven't fixed, and given that they haven't given the players a road map for how or when they're going to fix it either.
Given the state of AAA gaming. GT7 is one of the biggest and most polished titles this generation. No one can say with a straight face the game is broken. While you may not enjoy it’s game design choices. That too is one of the most widely praised aspects and a key reason GT7 is attracting a broader player base.

The criticisms seem to boil down to some online issues which will be ironed out. And the usual comments about content. Something I’ve learned will never be enough for some.

GT7 is proving to have strong sales legs.
How do you know? Just because it's still in the charts doesn't mean it's selling in huge numbers, it's just selling in uknown numbers more than other games.
Secondly, GT7 has had an incredibly positive reception from both enthusiasts, and the wider gaming public.
How do you know? When did you poll the wider gaming public?
The likes of the cafe mode may not be for everyone. But you can be sure it will be at the core of all future GT’s. PD finally hit upon something that made a sim accessible.
I don't think you can be sure of that at all. There has been no widespread praise for the cafe mode anywhere.

GT7 is one of the biggest and most polished titles this generation.
Ah yes, the same game where they actively held back content in order to piecemeal it out to people for 'free', to the point where it was content that could have made the late game significantly more fulfilling then it is now, where the game's menu system literally ends just as things start to get good.

The criticisms seem to boil down to some online issues which will be ironed out.
They still haven't even begun to acknowledge the fact that public and private online lobbies are busted and incredibly unstable, AKA one major facet of the game's multiplayer suite. Nor have they even begun to bother trying to eliminate the always online requirement which was only instituted in order to force people to have micro-transactions on every action that required spending credits (and don't even have the decency to eliminate micro-transactions from the game unlike literally every developer who was embroiled in MTX controversies in the past five years)

Sure is a great start for ironing out these issues, eh?

And the usual comments about content. Something I’ve learned will never be enough for some.
Considering the fact that the game barely has anything actually new (mostly just cheap nostalgia pops) and more or less wholly uses GT Sport's entire car and track list, absolutely people are right to believe that the content in the game isn't enough.

It's always funny to see very specific actors try and posit the people who (rightfully) complain about the cluster**** this game has launched in, and is still in (and show very little signs of changing) are somehow the bad faith actors, if it wasn't crystal clear that these people are correct in their criticisms and opinions on GT as a franchise, Kaz as a figurehead and Polyphony as a developer. That it's never Kaz's or Polyphony's fault, that it's either people's fault for having high expectations (stoked by Kaz and Polyphony themselves) or that it's an outside actors fault that made Polyphony do the actions that PD themselves have a clear and direct hand in.

Many of these people actually wanted Gran Turismo to stay faithful to its quasi arcade roots without significant breakthroughs and an endless amount of shallow content like the dozens of Standard clones from the PS2 era and easy mini championships with 2 lap races each.

The game we have now may not have the event diversity of GT4, but, when it comes to a driving game, it's superior in every way you can imagine. It provides a legit taste of driving sportscars on hardware as weak as a PS4, without the type of sacrifices SMS and Kunos were forced to make with PCARS and ACC.

If all it takes to "fix" GT7 is more events and cars, then there's nothing to worry about, because they'll come in due time.

In all honesty fixing the private lobbies is what would help "fix" the game. As to date we have none of the features we had in GTS. This makes running leagues a bit difficult. Still only 16 people per lobby. They are also still a bit glitchy.

That is really all to be honest. Fix that issue and the game will be awesome. Because as you said, cars, tracks and events will come. So no worries in that department.

Last edited:
How do you know? Just because it's still in the charts doesn't mean it's selling in huge numbers, it's just selling in uknown numbers more than other games.
How do I know GT7 is selling well? Because I’ve closely followed sales data for the best part of 15 years and we have many sources across the globe. Both raw data and comparative chart placings. Which are useful as many publishers or local chart trackers post data.

The US is historically Gran Turismo’s poorest market (comparatively). According to NPD March data alone puts GT7 as the fourth best selling title of the year. In the UK Christopher Dring has compiled GFK data with GT7 once again having one of the biggest launches of the year - with continued strong sales legs. Comparatively GT7 has performed even better in continental European markets.

With new hardware hitting the market we are seeing an uplift in all PS5 software sales. It’s a comparable situation to GT3 on PS2. A system selling title launching early in the generation. The AAA release slate is not looking great. So we will also see titles like GT7 become a focus for retailers & official bundles. Particularly as a number of PS5 titles like Miles Morales are now part of the PS+ service.

At this point 15m seems quite a modest lifetime sales prediction. I personally expect GT7 to be the first Gran Turismo to surpass 20m.

We all know that User Score was as a result of a review bombing campaign from various groups. Incidentally that score hasn’t budged from 10K reviews since the campaign ended a month ago. This for a game that has now sold in the multi-millions and continues to chart globally.

It’s getting pretty tiresome seeing the same hyperbolic comments which amount to ‘the devs are lazy’, ‘reviewers where paid off’, and other such nonsense. It’s immature and embarrassing for a forum of this stature.

As someone who wants the best for the franchise I’m not blind to GT7’s issues. But it is an extremely polished, well regarded, best selling title. Put a little more thought into your criticisms or you will just be disregarded as a troll.
Yes, a game that sells incredibly well never deserves heavily negative reviews. Let's just ignore that Cyberpunk 2077 ever happened. Surely it'll be ok that the games industry continues to sell half-baked games, as long as they get plenty of sales. After all, gaming is all about ensuring maximum profits for corporations, not making fun games!

Also forgetting that sales numbers matter little nowadays - mostly developers and publishers put more stock in how many people are actually playing the game over time (especially for online focused titles, which GT7 absolutely is) and how long they're actually playing the game for.

Yes, a game that sells incredibly well never deserves heavily negative reviews. Let's just ignore that Cyberpunk 2077 ever happened. Surely it'll be ok that the games industry continues to sell half-baked games, as long as they get plenty of sales. After all, gaming is all about ensuring maximum profits for corporations, not making fun games!
Let’s not be naive about Metacritc User scores. GT7 had a few thousand reviews a couple of weeks after release. The economy update dropped and Sony stopped selling PlayStation products in Russia. We then saw some 7k-8K negative reviews hit within a handful of days. In the proceeding month and a half there have been fewer than 1k User Reviews added. This for a title that has sold multi-millions of copies.

Also forgetting that sales numbers matter little nowadays - mostly developers and publishers put more stock in how many people are actually playing the game over time (especially for online focused titles, which GT7 absolutely is) and how long they're actually playing the game for.
Sales of a £70/€70/$70 AAA title generate hundreds of millions in revenue. It’s why Sony still resist putting titles on services Day 1.

I’d argue about GT7 being an online focused title. It’s little more than a game mode. Either way. Players are retained by content drops, marketing, and events/videos like this Nurburgring 24h one. Head of PlayStation studios, Hermen Hulst, meeting with Kaz also suggests plans are in place for GT7 and the franchise as a whole.

I am going I've been making all my placards i will make sure to be in every background shot holding my signs just a few i made

GT7 snap over steer sucks !
GT7 understeer's like the titanic boo hiss
why can't i feel kerbs ?
i hate coffee
i demand more cars
BUT gt4 did it :(
Bring back old stuff we fear change
I love to change the oil
looks like a ps3 game on my base ps4 "shame shame shame"
Ai = oxymoron's
🤨🙋‍♂️
Still have a few blank if you have a suggestion ?

We all know that User Score was as a result of a review bombing campaign from various groups. Incidentally that score hasn’t budged from 10K reviews since the campaign ended a month ago.
Deserved review bombing, the score under 2.0 is the real score of this game, not from those who are blind to the franchise's issues and give it undeserved praise.
This for a game that has now sold in the multi-millions and continues to chart globally.
Perhaps because they're mindess followers who don’t buy games without deep investigation of those, not researching them, not paying attention, etc.
As someone who wants the best for the franchise I’m not blind to GT7’s issues. But it is an extremely polished, well regarded, best selling title. Put a little more thought into your criticisms or you will just be disregarded as a troll.
Not only GT7's issues, but the whole franchise's issues. GT7's state now can be also due to the undeserved credit this franchise got in their older game days. People giving free pass to PD and their choices likely partly also gave PD thoughts that they'd get away pulling BS on GT7 currently. Such as, no one talks about GT3 removing menu and License shortcuts, but GT7 pulling this is the only time they actually started criticizing it.

Better just ignore the positives the game/franchise has done as a whole, because this is Polyphony Delusional that had thoughts of car sounds being too real, when in reality it's vacuum cleaner. Praising them would feed their delusions further than they already have now. This doesn't strictly only apply to sound as per GTS, but about other aspects in the game too that they still think doesn't need fixing.

Back