Gran Turismo HD and GT5 are two different things?

• Thread starter Coderedpl
  • 16 comments
Hello there all.
I've heard about GT:HD and GT:5.
Are they two different games?

What is GT HD?
Is it like an upgrade or something to GT4? or is it a whole new game?
I'm planning on buying the PS3 very soon and i wanted to find out, i like the drift mode that it has!

GT HD is basically a demo of GT5. It includes 1 track and a few cars.

It isn't. GT:HD is not based on GT4 anymore, it runs on the new engine already. There was a version of GT4 souped up to full HD called "GT:HD classic", but the GT:HD we have now is the other, new part, previously called "GT:HD premium".

It isn't. GT:HD is not based on GT4 anymore, it runs on the new engine already. There was a version of GT4 souped up to full HD called "GT:HD classic", but the GT:HD we have now is the other, new part, previously called "GT:HD premium".

Kazunori Yamauchi said GTHD demo download was a bridge between GT4 and GT5, which is not GT:HD Premium. GT:HD Premium is now GT5 Prologue.

However, GTHD is not GT:HD Classic either. I guess I misspoke there. GTHD is GT4 with GT4 photomode cars, updated crowds, better car handling and better drivers. It ain't GT5 which GT:HD Premium was going to be.

Kazunori Yamauchi said GTHD demo download was a bridge between GT4 and GT5, which is not GT:HD Premium. GT:HD Premium is now GT5 Prologue.

However, GTHD is not GT:HD Classic either. I guess I misspoke there. GTHD is GT4 with GT4 photomode cars, updated crowds, better car handling and better drivers. It ain't GT5 which GT:HD Premium was going to be.
The original GT:HD was kind of a lovechild between a souped-up GT4 and the beginnings of GT5. I suppose PD always planned to release a prequel to GT5, because it was obvious that it would take a lot of time to make a fully new Gran Turismo game on a new platform. On the other hand, I think they did not specifically program a demo at first.

I believe it was prior to last years E3, where a high-ranking Sony guy asked Kazunori Yamauchi to prepare something to show the crowd. At the time, they didn't have anything worth of presenting. So, they souped up GT4 to maximum quality the graphics engine was capable of and full HD. After this was finished, it was obvious to make a combined release of this E3 demo and something on the way to GT5. This release was the original GT:HD, consisting of two parts. The souped up GT4 was called GT:HD classic, the GT5 prequel was called GT:HD premium. However, on the way of preparing this for release, they realised that they were putting too much time into this. And it was time they didn't have, cause everybody was waiting for the full GT5, which was far in the future anyway. So, they scrapped GT:HD. But they knew they had to give the fans something to hold on to, and something to make the PS3 attractive for potential buyers.

They merged what they had as GT:HD premium to the GT:HD demo we know and probably play today. This demo has little to nothing to do with GT4, as it is based on the new graphics engine (full HD, and a new track that wasn't a part of GT4), new physics engine (obviously) and other new parts. Now, I am sure that they used some things from GT4, just because the new parts were not ready yet. But I am absolutely certain that the GT:HD demo technically is much closer to GT5 (or GT5 Prologue for that matter) than it is to GT4.

Regards
the Interceptor

GT:HD classic was just a high definition GT4 with tweaks, GT:HD premium and the GT:HD demo PS3 owners can download are both still based on GT4's engine, the graphics are the only thing "next gen" about them. The new physics engine hasn't been released by PD yet, Kaz stated back when GT:HD premium and Classic were in the works that GT:HD Premium would be running a tweaked version of GT4's engine but he might offer the new engine as a download at a later date. Instead we got a free GT:HD demo running on GT4's engine but with next gen graphics and still no sign of the new physics engine.

Let's just say your right though, for arguments sake, and GT:HD is running the next gen physics engine, that'd rule me out of buying GT5. GT:HD's is nowhere near as good as GT5's needs to be, it's not a notable step forwards, it's nothing like where Kaz wants it to be. It's blatantly GT4's but tweaked.

As has been stated above, the current GTHD demo for PS3 was in fact the Premium element of the GTHD premium/classic that was meant to be released around the time of PS3 launch.
The Premium element was only a visual engine upgrade, with a new track that was modelled and designed from the ground up to look good in HD, that was designed to showcase what GT5 would be capable of in the looks department.
Everything else in the Premium part of the code was ripped from GT4, except for some minor tweaks to the GT4 physics engine, which made the drift mode possible. (it was not a new engine in any way aside from those tweaks, certainly not the rebuilt from the ground up with loads of extra paramaters that was promised, as KY has acknowledged that the engine was far to old now and not good enough to take to the PS3 platform for GT5)
i.e. GTHD premium was just going to be a peek at how GT5 might look, not represent how it might actually play.

GTHD premium was also to have had a second track and another 20 cars made available to download at a later date.

Kaz also stated that over time upgrades to The physics engine and the new AI engine may be made downloadable along with crash damage for race cars, they were intending to use GTHD as a test bed for GT5 and we were to be the testers. Kaz never specified which area Classic, Premium or both would be upgraded, IMHO it would have been both.
Im pretty sure whatever the next GT is called, it will be a reworked GT4 HD classic/ Premium (prologue)with whatever tweaks they've made in the last 9 months included.
It will not however be GT5!

GT:HD classic was just a high definition GT4 with tweaks, GT:HD premium and the GT:HD demo PS3 owners can download are both still based on GT4's engine, the graphics are the only thing "next gen" about them. The new physics engine hasn't been released by PD yet, Kaz stated back when GT:HD premium and Classic were in the works that GT:HD Premium would be running a tweaked version of GT4's engine but he might offer the new engine as a download at a later date. Instead we got a free GT:HD demo running on GT4's engine but with next gen graphics and still no sign of the new physics engine.

Let's just say your right though, for arguments sake, and GT:HD is running the next gen physics engine, that'd rule me out of buying GT5. GT:HD's is nowhere near as good as GT5's needs to be, it's not a notable step forwards, it's nothing like where Kaz wants it to be. It's blatantly GT4's but tweaked.

Actually, I felt the handling of the cars in the GTHD demo was a bit different, and a lot better. The cars in the GTHD demo are a lot less "twitchy" when controlling them. They move a lot more smoothly compared to the cars in GT4, which I always hated.

GT3 cars move very smoothly, and perhaps not responsive enough for some players, which is why I think they made the cars a lot more responsive in GT4. However, they went too far with it and the cars just didn't handle that well.

But, from my perspective, they toned it down and made the cars in the GTHD demo handle a bit more like the GT3 cars. So, GTHD is NOT GT5 physics, but it is improved on compared to GT4.

quote: 5 days from now we will all know better I suppose..

well Amar, 5 days have passed... what great SCOOP have you got for us this time?:)

RUI
quote: 5 days from now we will all know better I suppose..

well Amar, 5 days have passed... what great SCOOP have you got for us this time?:)

It proves what I said; GTHD ain't GT5 or GT5 Prologue. It's GT4 with upgrades, like GTHD Classic was supposed to be, but it's different from that.

Basically, GTHD = Bridge Between GT4 and GT5

What is GT5 Prologue? Probably 90% what GT5 is going to be.

^^^
90% graphically. But content-wise I think just 10%.
And hopefully on and around 17th we'll get some news about GT5-P, more than "And it will have Multiplayer"! lol

I was in the mall the other night and noticed EB Games had GT:HD playing in the PS3 and Oh My God!!! The graphics were unbelievable and the drifting was awesome. I seriously cannot wait for GT5 to come out, it'll give me a very good reason to buy the PS3. I'm actually at my second job and I'm about 10' away from EB Games and I can't help but continuously stare over at the game, it's many times nicer than GT4; graphic wise.

I was in the mall the other night and noticed EB Games had GT:HD playing in the PS3 and Oh My God!!! The graphics were unbelievable and the drifting was awesome. I seriously cannot wait for GT5 to come out, it'll give me a very good reason to buy the PS3. I'm actually at my second job and I'm about 10' away from EB Games and I can't help but continuously stare over at the game, it's many times nicer than GT4; graphic wise.

If you have the money, just buy it. You won't regret that. It's an amazing machine. More and more updates are released and since i got it this spring it has many new features. It's like it's evolving while i sit here looking at it. :drool:👍

Back