Gran Turismo PSP Career 1.0: 289 events, tuning and five cut tracks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Memetrix
  • 69 comments
  • 6,999 views
I think some people do care and others don't.

For me, the objections are when things are made as slop and/or when people are using other people's work and assets without permission. I care less over the matter of if AI was used in general, as not all AI use is automaticslly slop.

When used correctly and as an aide it can be helpful, when it's used to just create stuff you can't be bothered to learn or do yourself it quickly becomes slop.

I hope the OP does what @TheAdmiester has requested in relation to Spec II or they speak with @TheAdmiester directly and obtain permission to use his work. Without that, it doesn't matter if it's slop or not.
The main issues with this mod for me are:
  • Fundamentally the entire thing is AI. The trailer, event images, code, and even the author's posts are AI. People defending the use of them as placeholders is a lame excuse because clearly they were intended to be final - it takes 3 seconds to make a big bright box with "PLACEHOLDER" in the middle, and they only pivoted once called out. The author's posts might be slightly excusable under terms of translation but they strike me as "write me a response apologising to this user" rather than writing their own and translating it, which also irks me.
  • The author did reach out to me via DM but as far as I can tell this has only resulted in Spec II being removed from the mod's name. This wasn't even what I asked for - at the end of the day I don't own the Spec II name and if someone wants to use that for a GT PSP mod then so be it - but I don't believe any of the events have been removed, which is the part I did object to.
At the end of the day people are going to use AI in the creation of their mod, but where I draw the line is where the human has not clearly done the majority of the work. Nothing about this mod strikes me as being human-made and the entire thing reeks of using AI to rush something out for clout, and unfortunately it seems to have worked.
 
1.0 is out now. The career has grown to 289 events, with the Ferrari 458 Italia and all five cut tracks racing on real hardware. I've updated the first post of this thread with the current trailer, screenshots, install link and known issues.
 
Last edited:
I start to think this whole account is AI too, really
 
Thank you for this release! i dont get why people are so upset about AI. its part of this world you live in now you better start getting use to it. Keep up the good work Memetrix!
 
I'll answer this once.
The beta used Spec II's event list. @TheAdmiester asked me to stop, and I did. 1.0 has no Spec II events: 125 are GT4's own, 164 are new, made from scratch. The beta downloads are gone. The source is public, and PROVENANCE.md lists where every file comes from.
If you find anything from spec II in release, post it here and I'll take it out. If you can't, stop calling it stolen.
Yes, I use AI, for the art and to help with the code. I'm not hiding it. The career, the tuning, five cut tracks, ferrari 458 runs for real.

Don't like AI in mods? Don't play it, that's fair. But that's a different argument from theft.
 
After all you're the one who bummed out on Spec II 1.11 until probably 2028 like some people told me on your Discord just because you don't wanna work on it. You also said it was okay for people to base their mods off yours. Now assume. Stop going wahhh wahhh because people are doing it when you said it was okay. I don't care if it's AI slop or not. It's the direction the world is headed.

Are you actually attacking someone for being annoyed that someone ripped off their work without asking, because they aren't going to imminently release another new version of an already finished mod? Get over yourself.
 
Oh boy, here comes the defense force running in for this Admiester goon. They removed the content from Spec-II and made their own career at this point. Stop being daft.

It's entirely self-interest I'm afraid, I don't want to be part of a community where people get congratulated for stealing work from others while the real authors get abused for not churning out free updates forever. It's extremely ungrateful, and as one of the people who did the foundational work to make mods like this possible I'm disappointed to see it.
 
After all you're the one who bummed out on Spec II 1.11 until probably 2028 like some people told me on your Discord just because you don't wanna work on it. You also said it was okay for people to base their mods off yours. Now assume. Stop going wahhh wahhh because people are doing it when you said it was okay. I don't care if it's AI slop or not. It's the direction the world is headed.
I said it was okay for people to base their mods on mine at a time when it wasn't heard of for people to simply crap out a mod by asking an LLM to do so. I've updated that rule since. Nobody can speak for anything regarding Spec II work and release times except me so I have no idea where your idea of 2028 comes from.

Even with my content removed it only takes 3 seconds of looking at any of this mod's source code to see absolutely none of it was manually created and is full of inefficiencies and bugs that are already filtering in through the Github's issues page. I was planning on writing a more measured response but frankly after seeing such unnecessary hostilities towards pez - who has no obligation to run defence for me and is simply saying what he says as a reasonable person - I'll ask you to kindly see yourself out of my server and enjoy the death of the mods you claim to enjoy 👍
 
After all you're the one who bummed out on Spec II 1.11 until probably 2028 like some people told me on your Discord just because you don't wanna work on it. You also said it was okay for people to base their mods off yours. Now assume. Stop going wahhh wahhh because people are doing it when you said it was okay. I don't care if it's AI slop or not. It's the direction the world is headed.
To see 10+ updates for a big mod made over the years and call it "bumming out" because it's not getting updated endlessly for your enjoyment is quite a take, not going to lie. Not everything in your life must be live service, the sooner you understand it the less frustrated you'll be with the state of things.
 
Most people are cry against AI Made content but Sophy is okay? Yeah right... I'm not even gonna bother going on. Hate me all you want. That's what the ignore list is for.
Sophy is a traditional style machine learning agent created by people. The equivalent to this situation would be if the next Gran Turismo was a broken mess somehow created by Sophy. Hilariously enough I've thought Sophy was terrible since day 1 but let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan, right?

To see 10+ updates for a big mod made over the years and call it "bumming out" because it's not getting updated endlessly for your enjoyment is quite a take, not going to lie. Not everything in your life must be live service, the sooner you understand it the less frustrated you'll be with the state of things.
Yeah I'm not a person with my own life and interests, I'm just a thing that exists to produce Spec II for all of eternity. If that's all someone sees modders as then no wonder their entitlement is only satisfied by AI.
 
Last edited:
Sophy is a traditional style machine learning agent created by people. The equivalent to this situation would be if the next Gran Turismo was a broken mess somehow created by Sophy. Hilariously enough I've thought Sophy was terrible since day 1 but let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan, right?


Yeah I'm not a person with my own life and interests, I'm just a thing that exists to produce Spec II for all of eternity. If that's all someone sees modders as then no wonder their entitlement is only satisfied by AI.
Get to work, AIdmiester
 
Most people are cry against AI Made content but Sophy is okay? Yeah right... I'm not even gonna bother going on. Hate me all you want. That's what the ignore list is for.
You know how all Ford Focuses are cars, right? But not all cars are Ford Focuses?

Not all AI is generative. AI as a term predates modern generative AI by a lifetime. If you're going to start crying and throwing your toys out the pram then at least do the bare minimum to understand what people are talking about. Else you end up looking like, well, you are now.
 
Uh-huh... all I hear from y'all is... this.

I don't have a horse in this race, as in I'm not involved in the GT modding community/have friends in it, but I do have my own passion projects and I create stuff on my free time, so I just wanna give some insight on that.
People creating things are still people, human beings like you, and they eventually might get tired of it, or reach a point where they feel satisfied enough with what they done, don't you eventually change interests? Move on to new things? It is a bit silly to expect something to keep being endlessly updated, not even massively funded games backed by the largest corporations last forever, a final update is inevitable to anything and everything.
And it should be that way, if the thing is good already, it doesn't necessarily NEEDS more, because then when enough is enough?
 
Last edited:
Most people are cry against AI Made content but Sophy is okay?

I'm not sure you understand the conversation that's happening here. I've not mentioned AI once in this thread, my specific point to you is that it's ungrateful to expect mod authors to work endlessly for you, and it's spiteful and childish to approve of their work being stolen if they don't do exactly what you want. Your poor attitude towards people like me is what I have an issue with.

Seriously, we're talking about a VIDEO GAME mod... it's not like it's the "End of the world"... take it easy fellas.

'Take it easy', says the person starting the argument, refusing to apologise for their insulting statements, and accusing everyone else of being crying kids. You first.
 
Last edited:
Johnny, I'm usually on your side here, but I would take the L on this one.

You were personally attacking against completely valid points, that I think was a bit unnecessary.
 
Johnny, I'm usually on your side here, but I would take the L on this one.

You were personally attacking against completely valid points, that I think was a bit unnecessary.
I admit I went strong and I apologize. I wish I didn't take part in this conversation. I'm screwed in a lot of fronts now... gah... I attacked people with verbal aggression and now I'm in trouble!! Urgh...
 
Last edited:
No. Don't do this again.
Most people are cry against AI Made content but Sophy is okay? Yeah right...
I'm not sure you understand what you're saying here. Actually, I am sure that you don't.

Sophy is the end-product of a machine-learning process. It learns how to get around a race track from cues (pointing the right way, staying on the track, not hitting things) in a reward-loop. Every successful loop is "rewarded" and incorporated into the next iteration -while unsuccessful ones are discarded - until it reaches the desired level of competence. That set of instructions is then locked in to what's called an "agent", and that's what you race against. It requires some compute power, but no more than running a few hundred PS5s for a while, and the complete set of agents requires one PS5 to run each time.

Generative AI is the end-product of applying autocorrect to copyright theft. It scans existing creative works - writing, art, music, video - to build a library of patterns in order to guess what comes next; the more advanced it gets, the better it gets at guessing. Every step of the process requires an incredible amount of compute power (hence massive data centre farms, buying up every bit of silicon it can and even those that haven't been made yet), and the final/current version of it runs in live. Creating a single GenAI image from a prompt takes up approximately 500ml of water (in cooling at the data centre) and enough electricity to propel an electric car a few hundred feet; text is less, video is much, much more.

They're both "AI" but they're not anywhere near the same thing, and only one is relevant here.
 
No. Don't do this again.

I'm not sure you understand what you're saying here. Actually, I am sure that you don't.

Sophy is the end-product of a machine-learning process. It learns how to get around a race track from cues (pointing the right way, staying on the track, not hitting things) in a reward-loop. Every successful loop is "rewarded" and incorporated into the next iteration -while unsuccessful ones are discarded - until it reaches the desired level of competence. That set of instructions is then locked in to what's called an "agent", and that's what you race against. It requires some compute power, but no more than running a few hundred PS5s for a while, and the complete set of agents requires one PS5 to run each time.

Generative AI is the end-product of applying autocorrect to copyright theft. It scans existing creative works - writing, art, music, video - to build a library of patterns in order to guess what comes next; the more advanced it gets, the better it gets at guessing. Every step of the process requires an incredible amount of compute power (hence massive data centre farms, buying up every bit of silicon it can and even those that haven't been made yet), and the final/current version of it runs in live. Creating a single GenAI image from a prompt takes up approximately 500ml of water (in cooling at the data centre) and enough electricity to propel an electric car a few hundred feet; text is less, video is much, much more.

They're both "AI" but they're not anywhere near the same thing, and only one is relevant here.
Like I said in my recent post... I screwed myself up. I apologize, I'm pretty much done for. I... I wish I didn't jump in as a part of this debate!! Gahhh...
 
Back