Gran Turismo Series is Missing...Ambience?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeoXenzaka
  • 23 comments
  • 1,440 views
Messages
177
Messages
NeoXenzaka
This is not a bashing thread. I love Gran Turismo series. On the other hand, the only question I have about the entire series is why there is a lack of ambient features?

Sure you can see blades of grass, but why blades of grass and nothing else? I did notice flags waved in the wind.

Remember how Gran Turismo 4 had "fans" that would jump in the track and jump out to get a picture?


Ambience
Add starRemove star am·bi·ence Noun /ˈambēəns/ listen
Synonyms:
o noun: atmosphere, environment, milieu, surroundings, medium, setting, entourage, ambiance
o
ambiences plural; ambiances plural
o
The character and atmosphere of a place
+
the relaxed ambience of the cocktail lounge is popular with guests
o
Background noise added to a musical recording to give the impression that it was recorded live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtcgyC2aVT0

I feel this game is missing about 75% of the sounds that should be.

Missing a lot of wavelengths of light including other colors to keep things spicy.

I guess ever since I played the GT series there always seems to be a lonely, cold and dry feeling even now. There's nothing to kinda...you know, wet the tongue a little.
 
There are crowds and noises from them, along with weather and time changes. I'm not sure what is missing. Crowds shouldn't jump onto the track unless they add the baja 1000 or something.
 
LISTEN to the SCREECH of the tyre and pavement when it does the 180
 
I always play with a full face crash helmet on as this gives me the best ambience for playing the game...
 
Go and drive la sarthe or the 24 hour nurburgring track, dynamic time and weather. Ambience in bucketloads!
 
Go to London and drive at the first corner without braking. What do the fans do? Just one of many little touches that GT5 has.

I fail to see how your NFS video shows ambience that GT5 lacks. The sound of the tyres screeching is not ambient sounds.

There was also no need to post it twice.
 
There are crowds and noises from them, along with weather and time changes. I'm not sure what is missing. Crowds shouldn't jump onto the track unless they add the baja 1000 or something.


No I agree, the fans make noise...the flags wave in the air, rotors glow red when you break, etc...which is great, realistic and right "on par" but you don't feel there is some...finesse missing?

When I think fineese...I think of the small things that allow great amounts of freedom. Freedom as the choice to have your tires aired to 1PSI or freedom to blow engines.

I'm talking about the small things that some think are "too small to care about" when those "small things" make up the majority of the game...the overall finesse, the overall re-playability, the overall LACK of freedom in the very small aspects...like missing aero dynamics.

I just feel, this being a driving game and 5th of the series, would have a lot more finesse in the final product and it doesn't.

It's cold, lonely and stale UNLESS you have a really fun group of people to drive, race or do events on nightly/weekly. I'm not looking for motion blur, top 100 music and crazy lights and color...I'm talking about the ambiance of the driving experience.

Wind direction...tyre temps, street temps, atmosphere temps, tire pressure, induction hisses, varied tire skreeching based on the weight of the car and tyre used, fans that WALK in a pattern versus STAND in the same spot

i'm not talking about extravagant coding

i'm talking about creativity, subtle ambiance and the overall lack of finesse

even though the game carries itself so "classy"
 
Mistake number 1: You're comparing an advertisement to released game.

edit: after reading your response to my post:

I would like adjustable tire temps, and more aero adjustments. I don't see that as "ambiance" though, more like "tuning features". I can't say I'd notice if the fans walked around or stood around, I'm driving too quickly. If they walked, cool, but it would take up extra processing power. Only a little bit, yes, power that could be put towards rendering the cars, the physics engine, or the AI.
 
Go to London and drive at the first corner without braking. What do the fans do? Just one of many little touches that GT5 has.

I fail to see how your NFS video shows ambience that GT5 lacks. The sound of the tyres screeching is not ambient sounds.

There was also no need to post it twice.

Mr. Daan. While I agree with you, I want to let you know I will post a link as much as I want. Twice, three times, or 5,000 times. Just ignore.

"Background noise added to a musical recording to give the impression that it was recorded live"

Go and drive la sarthe or the 24 hour nurburgring track, dynamic time and weather. Ambience in bucketloads!

The fact of the matter is why am I limited to only these two options and not given the freedom to enjoy such ambiance on every track?

I love GT5. I'm about to hop on now and hang out in the loading screens. I have an enjoyable time both in the loading screens and spending 45min finding an online server.

On the other hand, I just had more qualities expected from a company fully capable of delivering it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just ignore.
You see that little badge under my avatar. That means I cannot ignore.

There is also no need to make 3 posts in a row. Use the edit button, or the multi quote
multiquote_off.gif
feature in future. Thanks.

EDIT: Make that 4 posts in a row. :rolleyes:
 
Not just Gran Turismo 5 but the entire series is lackluster in anything to make it feel "alive". Gran Turismo 5 is a shadow of something very miraculous.
 
I love GT5. I'm about to hop on now and hang out in the loading screens. I have an enjoyable time both in the loading screens and spending 45min finding an online server.

On the other hand, I just had more qualities expected from a company fully capable of delivering it.

Holy quadruple post batman. You can use the edit button to clean things up.


What do load screens and finding a server have to do with ambiance?
 
You see that little badge under my avatar. That means I cannot ignore.

There is also no need to make 3 posts in a row. Use the edit button, or the multi quote
multiquote_off.gif
feature in future. Thanks.

EDIT: Make that 4 posts in a row. :rolleyes:

"You see my badge! I made the law!"


Delete the thread.
 
"You see my badge! I made the law!"
I don't make it. I only uphold it.

I strongly suggest you change your attitude or your stay here will be a short one. 💡
 
The Ambience of this tread is falling on its face...lol
 
This is not a bashing thread. I love Gran Turismo series. On the other hand, the only question I have about the entire series is why there is a lack of ambient features?

Sure you can see blades of grass, but why blades of grass and nothing else? I did notice flags waved in the wind.

Remember how Gran Turismo 4 had "fans" that would jump in the track and jump out to get a picture?




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtcgyC2aVT0

I feel this game is missing about 75% of the sounds that should be.

Missing a lot of wavelengths of light including other colors to keep things spicy.

I guess ever since I played the GT series there always seems to be a lonely, cold and dry feeling even now. There's nothing to kinda...you know, wet the tongue a little.


No offense, but this just seems like yet another complaining thread. PD did what they could do in the time that it took them to do it. There's always going to be lacks to find in any videogame experience (not just GT) no matter how long the development time.

At least with GT5 there are updates, and I imagine they'll keep coming for a while. 👍 Personally, the rush I get from racing (online or sim) keeps me from focusing on crowd noises, people missing from the track, etc.

The only area I'd agree with you on is shadows. The shadow issue is really, really noticeable. Looks worse than GT3 or 4. It really is like PD got caught with their pants down on that one. But the actual lighting effects are great imo.
 
No I agree, the fans make noise...the flags wave in the air, rotors glow red when you break, etc...which is great, realistic and right "on par" but you don't feel there is some...finesse missing?

When I think fineese...I think of the small things that allow great amounts of freedom. Freedom as the choice to have your tires aired to 1PSI or freedom to blow engines.

I'm talking about the small things that some think are "too small to care about" when those "small things" make up the majority of the game...the overall finesse, the overall re-playability, the overall LACK of freedom in the very small aspects...like missing aero dynamics.

I just feel, this being a driving game and 5th of the series, would have a lot more finesse in the final product and it doesn't.

It's cold, lonely and stale UNLESS you have a really fun group of people to drive, race or do events on nightly/weekly. I'm not looking for motion blur, top 100 music and crazy lights and color...I'm talking about the ambiance of the driving experience.

Wind direction...tyre temps, street temps, atmosphere temps, tire pressure, induction hisses, varied tire skreeching based on the weight of the car and tyre used, fans that WALK in a pattern versus STAND in the same spot

i'm not talking about extravagant coding

i'm talking about creativity, subtle ambiance and the overall lack of finesse

even though the game carries itself so "classy"


You know that there were a lot of talk about NFS series and those souds whisstles etc ?

In some parts sound in NFS is good but the mayor complain come from autors of game.

I try to quote :

"When we adding sound we search for biggest fattes and funniest turbos , intakes, mufflers etc."

Second part is that NFS video wasn't from a game. It was just recorded from the game and then they added sound to it same as PD doing for years (damn them).

Ass of overall atmosphere of racing if thet you meant. Yeah PD didn't include a lot of things like starting race with whole team chearing you, TRaditional black and white flag for ending race etc.

But still this is a damn good experience. And try to find bme a game that include real atmosphere of racing.
 
Quite honestly, I think Gran Turismo has the ambiance that other games lack.
 
I don't really pay attention to the crowds when I'm driving, that's just dangerous.
 
I agree that it does feel a little dry. There is a certain something missing from the track to amp up the ambience but I'm still trying to figure out what it is.
 
I think GT5 does pretty well compared to earlier games in the series when it comes to ambience so I don't complain. The sterile feeling is not so evident any longer. More car sound ambience would have been nice though.
 
It's the damn premiums. They are so fine it was the trade-off for a more lively game. The resources were not enough.

Things I would like to see:
-better crowds
-more varied sounds
-flags
-mechanical damage, safety cars and rescue crews
-helmet vision
-newspapers
-birds

All of the above, minus the birds, would affect the gameplay for the better I believe.
 
It's the damn premiums. They are so fine it was the trade-off for a more lively game. The resources were not enough.

Things I would like to see:
-better crowds
-more varied sounds
-flags
-mechanical damage, safety cars and rescue crews
-helmet vision
-newspapers
-birds

All of the above, minus the birds, would affect the gameplay for the better I believe.

Newspapers? Tracks that weren't always perfectly clean would be nice, but after all, it's only a game :)
 
Newspapers? Tracks that weren't always perfectly clean would be nice, but after all, it's only a game :)

Just articles that would correspond with the action. Pro Evo was doing this in 2005.
 
Back