Gran Turismo World Series discussion (2026 Manufacturers Cup Exhibition 2: Aug 22 - Sep 12)

  • Thread starter Thread starter stpatty
  • 13,842 comments
  • 3,713,139 views
That went well...

GT2 - North America - 9 PM EDT - BMW M Hybrid V8 '25 - 165 points available - Door #8 - Q9 (1:29.329)
gtws-nc-rd2-79-racing.webp

A lacklustre qualifying session had me starting in the middle of the pack. That didn't really impact my strategy choice. I went with the W tires to start, planning a 13W-14RS strategy. There were 4 other drivers on W, and one poor sod directly behind me still on RSs -- oops. The rest were on IMs.

Lap 1 was generous to me. I picked up a couple positions right of the bat in the chaos of T1, and another at the end of the lap as another driver when into the wall. Up to P6.

More chaos at T1 the second time through, promoted me to P4 behind a driver who'd picked up a 4-second penalty for their part in the chaos. That put me in P3 at the end of lap 2, well behind the P2 Toyota and P1 Porsche.

They were both on IMs, though, so I had the better pace. By lap 5 I had caught the Toyota, but it took until lap 6 to get by them. A couple laps later, on lap 8, I caught and passed the Porsche. Up to P1.

I built up a decent gap over the next couple laps, but as the track up, the IMs became faster and the gap shrank. The Toyota went into the pits on lap 11 for RSs. The Porsche caught me and retook the lead on lap 13. I followed them into the pits in P2, where we both chose RS tires.

The Toyota had managed an undercut and came out just ahead of the Porsche, leaving me in P3. Over the next few laps I sat back and watched the two drivers battle. It got pretty rough at times, so I was expecting at some point one or both of them would get sent to Narnia, and I pick up a position or two, but instead what happened was the Toyota went into the pits a second time at the end of lap 20 for some fresh RS tires. Promoted to P2 after all.

From there the Porsche and I were left to battle it out, but they had better dry-track pace than me so I was never in any position to challenge them. When the second bout of rain came, I was too cautious at T1, which only increased the gap.

I crossed the line in P2 for 159 points and a promotion to DR A -- with 8.4% progress. Clean race bonus, too.

I'm more than happy with the result, though it leaves me in a bit of pickle for the next Manu Cup season as now both of my accounts are DR A. I need at least one of them to be DR B so I can run one my manufacturers earlier in the day. Since there's no real strategy for the next race and we have two weeks to prepare, I might do a few daily races in the Lamborghini in my other account to see if I can get it back down to DR B. Of course, there is a fair bit of strategy testing to do for the final round, too, so should probably get started on that, too.
 
That went well...

GT2 - North America - 9 PM EDT - BMW M Hybrid V8 '25 - 165 points available - Door #8 - Q9 (1:29.329)
View attachment 1567710
A lacklustre qualifying session had me starting in the middle of the pack. That didn't really impact my strategy choice. I went with the W tires to start, planning a 13W-14RS strategy. There were 4 other drivers on W, and one poor sod directly behind me still on RSs -- oops. The rest were on IMs.

Lap 1 was generous to me. I picked up a couple positions right of the bat in the chaos of T1, and another at the end of the lap as another driver when into the wall. Up to P6.

More chaos at T1 the second time through, promoted me to P4 behind a driver who'd picked up a 4-second penalty for their part in the chaos. That put me in P3 at the end of lap 2, well behind the P2 Toyota and P1 Porsche.

They were both on IMs, though, so I had the better pace. By lap 5 I had caught the Toyota, but it took until lap 6 to get by them. A couple laps later, on lap 8, I caught and passed the Porsche. Up to P1.

I built up a decent gap over the next couple laps, but as the track up, the IMs became faster and the gap shrank. The Toyota went into the pits on lap 11 for RSs. The Porsche caught me and retook the lead on lap 13. I followed them into the pits in P2, where we both chose RS tires.

The Toyota had managed an undercut and came out just ahead of the Porsche, leaving me in P3. Over the next few laps I sat back and watched the two drivers battle. It got pretty rough at times, so I was expecting at some point one or both of them would get sent to Narnia, and I pick up a position or two, but instead what happened was the Toyota went into the pits a second time at the end of lap 20 for some fresh RS tires. Promoted to P2 after all.

From there the Porsche and I were left to battle it out, but they had better dry-track pace than me so I was never in any position to challenge them. When the second bout of rain came, I was too cautious at T1, which only increased the gap.

I crossed the line in P2 for 159 points and a promotion to DR A -- with 8.4% progress. Clean race bonus, too.

I'm more than happy with the result, though it leaves me in a bit of pickle for the next Manu Cup season as now both of my accounts are DR A. I need at least one of them to be DR B so I can run one my manufacturers earlier in the day. Since there's no real strategy for the next race and we have two weeks to prepare, I might do a few daily races in the Lamborghini in my other account to see if I can get it back down to DR B. Of course, there is a fair bit of strategy testing to do for the final round, too, so should probably get started on that, too.
Great Job bud!
 
That went well...

GT2 - North America - 9 PM EDT - BMW M Hybrid V8 '25 - 165 points available - Door #8 - Q9 (1:29.329)
View attachment 1567710
A lacklustre qualifying session had me starting in the middle of the pack. That didn't really impact my strategy choice. I went with the W tires to start, planning a 13W-14RS strategy. There were 4 other drivers on W, and one poor sod directly behind me still on RSs -- oops. The rest were on IMs.

Lap 1 was generous to me. I picked up a couple positions right of the bat in the chaos of T1, and another at the end of the lap as another driver when into the wall. Up to P6.

More chaos at T1 the second time through, promoted me to P4 behind a driver who'd picked up a 4-second penalty for their part in the chaos. That put me in P3 at the end of lap 2, well behind the P2 Toyota and P1 Porsche.

They were both on IMs, though, so I had the better pace. By lap 5 I had caught the Toyota, but it took until lap 6 to get by them. A couple laps later, on lap 8, I caught and passed the Porsche. Up to P1.

I built up a decent gap over the next couple laps, but as the track up, the IMs became faster and the gap shrank. The Toyota went into the pits on lap 11 for RSs. The Porsche caught me and retook the lead on lap 13. I followed them into the pits in P2, where we both chose RS tires.

The Toyota had managed an undercut and came out just ahead of the Porsche, leaving me in P3. Over the next few laps I sat back and watched the two drivers battle. It got pretty rough at times, so I was expecting at some point one or both of them would get sent to Narnia, and I pick up a position or two, but instead what happened was the Toyota went into the pits a second time at the end of lap 20 for some fresh RS tires. Promoted to P2 after all.

From there the Porsche and I were left to battle it out, but they had better dry-track pace than me so I was never in any position to challenge them. When the second bout of rain came, I was too cautious at T1, which only increased the gap.

I crossed the line in P2 for 159 points and a promotion to DR A -- with 8.4% progress. Clean race bonus, too.

I'm more than happy with the result, though it leaves me in a bit of pickle for the next Manu Cup season as now both of my accounts are DR A. I need at least one of them to be DR B so I can run one my manufacturers earlier in the day. Since there's no real strategy for the next race and we have two weeks to prepare, I might do a few daily races in the Lamborghini in my other account to see if I can get it back down to DR B. Of course, there is a fair bit of strategy testing to do for the final round, too, so should probably get started on that, too.
Your extensive tire reports netted all of us better results, @Moose78. I personally can’t thank you enough for making me a better driver and strategist.

Your race very closely mirrors my experience. I had a Porsche closing in on me for a spell on the slicks before he spun out before the decreasing radius turn 15.

I am not surprised the Toyota pitted again. During my custom race, it chewed through the softs like a bag of potato chips. The BMW powering only two wheels makes it more frugal with the tires. It is the most moderate of the five, putting down the power confidently. The Porsche may have greater pace but requires more delicate inputs.
 
Your extensive tire reports netted all of us better results, @Moose78. I personally can’t thank you enough for making me a better driver and strategist.
You're welcome! I'm glad you found it helpful. I do the tests primarily for myself, so I know what to do when the race comes. It's always nice to hear that somebody else gets some value out of it, though.
The BMW powering only two wheels makes it more frugal with the tires. It is the most moderate of the five, putting down the power confidently.
The other thing I noticed with the BMW is that it engages the hybrid battery at a lower speed than the others -- 150 km/h versus 200 km/h. I suspect that is a big part of the reason why it was so much better for me in the rain.
 
Yeah was having few practice laps for the next race as all unfamiliar cars, using the D Type, DB3 and the Maserati, thought I'd try the Merc 1929 Big Rig for a laugh and knocked 1.3 seconds off my fastest time so far
 
I've re-emerged from my hibernation period to do the rare Sport Mode race (Daily or championship) that actually interested me. Before I go back to hibernate for probably the next several months, here's a summary of my race:

Slot 1:
I went with the BMW since it felt the best and was the quickest for me in the dry, and as usual at Fuji, I messed up qualifying - this time by getting inexplicable understeer at the penultimate corner and running wide and invalidating my first hot lap as well as what would've been my next one. I had to restart and only got 1 flying lap in, during which I botched both T1 and the chicane and could only manage 10th.

In the race itself, the polesitter started on Softs, and I and the Ferrari behind me split them going into T1, with me going around the outside. The Ferrari got both of us so I remained in 10th. Things stayed status quo until the chicane at Lap 2, where I had much better traction than the car in front and drove around the outside of the following right-hander. I then lost the same spot to the same person a lap later after getting to the inside of the Ferrari in 8th but having to check up to avoid sliding into him as the corner tightened. I moved up to 9th when someone lost it at the exit of 100R. I then gained 2 spots on Lap 7 then another BMW spun at the exit of 100R, then a Porsche almost lost it at the following haripin and allowed me to set up a pass going into the chicane. The leader then disconnected on Lap 8 and moved me to 6th, which is where I stayed for most of the rest of the race. The pit stops saw me undercut by the Porsche I passed on Lap 7 (they pitted on Lap 11 and I lap 12), but someone else ahead messed up their out lap by running off the dry line multiple times, so I jumped them in the pits and I stayed 6th. The Porsche elected to go with Mediums while I (and most of the field) took Softs, so once my tires came up to temperature, I slowly reeled the Porsche back in and got by on Lap 21 in the same spot I did on Lap 7 (going into the chicane). From there I brought he car home in 5th, 8s off the battle for 2nd-4th, and 20s off the winner. The Ferrari that started directly behind me actually managed 3rd behind 2 BMWs. I got 228 points, which most importantly was more than the other Michigan driver in the race, but ultimately points don't matter since this is probably the only race I'll do this season.
 
Tested all the “old cars” for the next race.
I don’t understand how the top timing has been done with the oldest Mercedes that I struggle to keep on the road.
I have tested all the other cars and each of them are quite different in acceleration or stability.

Despite which one is the fastest against the chronometer, for me it is relevant to understand which one will manage better than the others the fight in the circuit, when you go too wide to avoid collision and which one recover faster than the others.

Maybe I am wrong but with these tires and overall performance to be the fastest alone on the circuit doesn’t mean to have the best car to compete against other 15 cars…
 
Last edited:
Shocked to see the pre-war cars blasting on the track. They have so much more power it’s hard for the others to overcome. The only one that got close for me was the DB3S but I had to really give it the spurs to get a decent time. The transmission gearing is very long so a little late on power coming out of the apex will cost a huge amount of time. The tachometer might as well send its readings by telegram.

The 300SLs were disappointing. The W194 has tightly controlled responses but feels underwhelming on power. It takes forever to spool up to speed. The road going SL by contrast has very frenetic tuning with a screaming narrow power band but flops all over the track.
 
Ran some telemetry on the Round 3 cars at practice. I did 2-6 laps each in cockpit cam, then the Barker by itself for three more sessions, mostly in bumper cam. Logged off the telemetry stream with a tool I made.

1_lap_times_by_car.webp


The 8C was my quickest in cockpit at 2:03.911, with the Barker and the GS Carrera about 0.6 s back. The leaderboard is a different story. The Barker is 1.3 s clear of every other car there. The gaps to the board vary a lot from car to car, and I think a lot of that is just how many people have run each one.

So I stuck with the Barker.

2_barker_laps_by_camera.webp


Braking is measured over the same 150-90 km/h band in every car, so a car that arrives slower doesn't look like it stops harder. The Mondial stops hardest. The W194, D-type and DB3S stop the least.

4_braking_by_car.webp


The Barker also spins its rears far more than anything else: 305 frames a lap over 10% rear slip on throttle, next worst is the 8C at 136. It rolls a lot too. It's a handful, but it's the fastest thing there.

SPOILER=Car data

CarHPWeight (lb)PPTop speed (km/h)Roll (mm/g)Rear slip (frames/lap)
8C2362,251379.1520233.9136
Barker2782,183304.7720035.2305
GS Carrera1851,852364.0121128.314
Mondial1711,587474.6520134.237
W1941952,381420.1321328.9109
Speedster1781,852378.3421028.229
300 SL Coupé2482,855392.3321441.747
D-type1841,874460.4520828.227
DB3S1681,887463.8821028.70
A6GCS1661,819490.5620826.513
C12172,282412.2120227.384
550 Spyder1421,301444.7020537.111

Sorted by my best cockpit lap. Rear slip = frames per lap with rear slip over 10% at over 50% throttle, median across laps.


Caveats: one driver, 2-6 laps a car, and the cars I drove later got more track time. The Barker's bumper laps aren't apples to apples with the others in cockpit.
 
Last edited:
Ran some telemetry on the Round 3 cars at practice. I did 2-6 laps each in cockpit cam, then the Barker by itself for three more sessions, mostly in bumper cam. Logged off the telemetry stream with a tool I made.

View attachment 1567892

The 8C was my quickest in cockpit at 2:03.911, with the Barker and the GS Carrera about 0.6 s back. The leaderboard is a different story. The Barker is 1.3 s clear of every other car there. The gaps to the board vary a lot from car to car, and I think a lot of that is just how many people have run each one.

So I stuck with the Barker.

View attachment 1567893

Braking is measured over the same 150-90 km/h band in every car, so a car that arrives slower doesn't look like it stops harder. The Mondial stops hardest. The W194, D-type and DB3S stop the least.

View attachment 1567895

The Barker also spins its rears far more than anything else: 305 frames a lap over 10% rear slip on throttle, next worst is the 8C at 136. It rolls a lot too. It's a handful, but it's the fastest thing there.

SPOILER=Car data

CarHPWeight (lb)PPTop speed (km/h)Roll (mm/g)Rear slip (frames/lap)
8C2362,251379.1520233.9136
Barker2782,183304.7720035.2305
GS Carrera1851,852364.0121128.314
Mondial1711,587474.6520134.237
W1941952,381420.1321328.9109
Speedster1781,852378.3421028.229
300 SL Coupé2482,855392.3321441.747
D-type1841,874460.4520828.227
DB3S1681,887463.8821028.70
A6GCS1661,819490.5620826.513
C12172,282412.2120227.384
550 Spyder1421,301444.7020537.111

Sorted by my best cockpit lap. Rear slip = frames per lap with rear slip over 10% at over 50% throttle, median across laps.


Caveats: one driver, 2-6 laps a car, and the cars I drove later got more track time. The Barker's bumper laps aren't apples to apples with the others in cockpit.
I feel so underendowed compared to you all that have such data to analyze before every race...
...I am a sort of a driver of the 70's that more than a timing label along the track and his bottom to evaluate the car stability didn't anything else...

However, I am happy to see the Barker is spinning so much also to you, it is the only one with TC0 that spin, the others are fine.
For the moment the 2 Porsches are my fastest solution.
Right now, for me, the critical issue is to understand where to brake.
What the system provide as "breaking area" is too early and, while on the different GT3s the breaking point is almost the same for all of them, here is much more wide because the speed is very different and also the efficiency of the brakes is not the same.

So jumping from one car to another one after 2-3 laps is confusing to me because there is no time enough to learn how to properly manage that specific car.
For the moment I am evaluating which car is more easy to drive meaning that can largely forgive my low level skills...
 
I feel so underendowed compared to you all that have such data to analyze before every race...
...I am a sort of a driver of the 70's that more than a timing label along the track and his bottom to evaluate the car stability didn't anything else...

However, I am happy to see the Barker is spinning so much also to you, it is the only one with TC0 that spin, the others are fine.
For the moment the 2 Porsches are my fastest solution.
Right now, for me, the critical issue is to understand where to brake.
What the system provide as "breaking area" is too early and, while on the different GT3s the breaking point is almost the same for all of them, here is much more wide because the speed is very different and also the efficiency of the brakes is not the same.

So jumping from one car to another one after 2-3 laps is confusing to me because there is no time enough to learn how to properly manage that specific car.
For the moment I am evaluating which car is more easy to drive meaning that can largely forgive my low level skills...

The Barker is a handful, for sure. It's very long with relatively narrow width, decent power, sport hard tyres, and probably some sort of primitive differential you'd get off a wagon. All these things will mean delicate throttle control and right gearing is where the speed is.

It will be extremely difficult at first but if you can I would start to deactivate the guidance markers, Using TC0 already is good, if you're not on manual gears try to swap over to that too, then I would probably switch off the red 'lines' braking area and just leave on the red BRAKE indicator for now. The lines are rarely correct and often you brake a bit too early. Then when comfortable switch off the racing line, which again isn't always the optimal one. The only assist I think even the top players use is ABS on low so worth keeping that. But there's no need to rush these. Turn them off when you feel comfortable for the next challenge. You might never and that's okay, but just aim to use as few as possible. And situationally you may choose too, e.g. in a high powered car in the rain I'll tick on TC1.

Your times will absolutely tank at first and you will be much slower BUT if you can persevere you will be much faster than before.

Pay no attention to the leaderboards, the top 50-100 or so people are just Gods at the game and you might spend a lifetime trying to get that fast. I am a mid ranked B driver and would have no chance competing with A's let alone A+. So there's people here who would crush me 😂 In 250 odd races I've got pole twice. I've won about 18 times. My best lap in the Barker is a high 2:04 which is about 3.5 seconds slower than the fastest. But I'm getting fractionally quicker overall all the time :)
 
Last edited:
The Barker is a handful, for sure. It's very long with relatively narrow width, decent power, sport hard tyres, and probably some sort of primitive differential you'd get off a wagon. All these things will mean delicate throttle control and right gearing is where the speed is.

It will be extremely difficult at first but if you can I would start to deactivate the guidance markers, Using TC0 already is good, if you're not on manual gears try to swap over to that too, then I would probably switch off the red 'lines' braking area and just leave on the red BRAKE indicator for now. The lines are rarely correct and often you brake a bit too early. Then when comfortable switch off the racing line, which again isn't always the optimal one. The only assist I think even the top players use is ABS on low so worth keeping that. But there's no need to rush these. Turn them off when you feel comfortable for the next challenge. You might never and that's okay, but just aim to use as few as possible. And situationally you may choose too, e.g. in a high powered car in the rain I'll tick on TC1.

Your times will absolutely tank at first and you will be much slower BUT if you can persevere you will be much faster than before.

Pay no attention to the leaderboards, the top 50-100 or so people are just Gods at the game and you might spend a lifetime trying to get that fast. I am a mid ranked B driver and would have no chance competing with A's let alone A+. So there's people here who would crush me 😂 In 250 odd races I've got pole twice. I've won about 18 times. My best lap in the Barker is a high 2:04 which is about 3.5 seconds slower than the fastest. But I'm getting fractionally quicker overall all the time :)
I moved to manual from last december when I changed the T300 with the Fanatec DD base model.
Now with this wheel I feel almost natural change gears manually.

Before update 1.71 I was always with TC 2 because I was easily spinning accelerating too much, also with the new wheel. I should have a more professional pedal setup.
Now I am almost always at TC 0 and 1 with only some GT3 cars. With rain I normally use TC 2.

I have also perceived that the Yellow line is not always optimal, but not sure to be driving correctly I have always left as indicator.

Breaking area it is an indication because I am already using some fixed point as reference, like 100 or 150 meters label or object.
Yes, I should remove that also to have a more clear view of the track.

ABS weak from day 0.

In reality I should practice much more, while very often it is just a weekend hobby...
 
Back