Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,218 comments
How am I supposed to drive a race where I'm not even able to do a single lap without touching something causing either minor tire, bumper or major engine damage? That or I continuously oversteer in any given corner causing me to take Barry R full on. I'm not joking when I'm saying I'm currently crossing the finish line once in every TWENTYFIVE laps. It’s ridiculous. My time (a good six seconds off yours) is my FASTEST time I managed to set in 90 minutes practice... I feel so incompetent right now.

I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong.

I've put my breaking points so far back from N. Romero's points it's getting silly. The only way I'm cornering is if my put my hazards on to let people know I will be accelerating REAL SLOW maybe even in 3rd gear as a precautionary...

I feel inept and am about to give up.

Yamagiwa was no pleasure either. The night before the race I somehow managed to find half a second somehow and thought I'd do that again easily on race day. I was so excited!

That didn't last long.

Just as at Laguna my qualifying was horrible Q10 where my times, as I did them in the lobbies should have been good for a Q6. My start and opening laps were just as bad. I was passed by 2 cars and was stuck in a group of 4 somewhere between P9-P12. All driving hard but clean.

Here also I was confronted again by my lack of race craft. I simply can't race anymore. No ideas, no guts to send it. I can get close, but unless the driver in front of me makes mistakes I'm clueless. I did finish P8 somehow and that's only because I was able to do my laps without hitting something and driving some 2 seconds of my lobby times.

Now back to Saint Croix. If I have to be twice as careful as at Yamagiwa and continue to feel woefully unequipped to drive my Genesis X70 Gr 3 car, I might as well skip it.

I did so with ALL McLaren Gr3 races in GTS's final season apart from the tuned race at Willow (that was AWESOME). But with that car I could except it. I knew it was a monster that just kills you, like so many MR cars (Audi anyone?) I felt it was the car and not me and it could not be helped. This time though, it's me. And that makes me frustrated. I do hope I'll get my mojo back somehow. Maybe I need to drop back to DR C or something.

Man... what is happening?
I can get low 24s but thats definitely my limit. Guessing mid pack pace for my lobby (again). I can honestly say this has to be one of the most frustrating tracks i've practiced on though. The amount of times i clipped the barrier getting light damage or braked just too late when running a purple lap is crazy. Has even resulted in a few frustrated shouts at the screen! :lol:

I'm confident enough now to lap round it without making many mistakes, and main tip i can give is turning in earlier than you think you should to make the apexes, especially on that early section leading up to drop down to the bridge. The corner i just cant get right consistently is the downhill right hander leading onto that long straight. Compromises your speed all the way down if you get it wrong.

Biggest worry i have for the race after a couple of practice races, is it looks like i'm going to get 1 lap less on the Mediums than everyone else, thanks to my tire shredding style of driving! 3 laps with everyone else probably on 4. :scared:

Think I’ve now found my basic understanding now round St Croix. Am able now to get round comfortably now without crashing, but I think I’m just lacking some speed now. One of the biggest problems I’ve found here is the top ghost times are way too fast for me. They are about 10 seconds faster than me so it’s kinda pointless following them as they will always be a corner ahead of me.

With AMG, TT is currently 3.28.3 - Medium race pace av. 3.32 ish - Hard race pace av. 3.33 ish.
Not sure st all where these time will put me come race day. Can I ask what your average pace is round here please to anyone that knows it? I was able to do 4 medium and 3 hard in practice runs

Think I’ve now found my basic understanding now round St Croix. Am able now to get round comfortably now without crashing, but I think I’m just lacking some speed now. One of the biggest problems I’ve found here is the top ghost times are way too fast for me. They are about 10 seconds faster than me so it’s kinda pointless following them as they will always be a corner ahead of me.

With AMG, TT is currently 3.28.3 - Medium race pace av. 3.32 ish - Hard race pace av. 3.33 ish.
Not sure st all where these time will put me come race day. Can I ask what your average pace is round here please to anyone that knows it? I was able to do 4 medium and 3 hard in practice runs
Similar TT time and same tyre lengths for me but from the Nissan camp (using the r34 gt500 again cos I'm that mental!).
My race pace in the race itself was 31/32's on hard, optimal 30's on the mediums.

One thing I noticed is that it's better to run cleanly throughout then try to gain a second or two with risks hitting walls and whatnot.
I still need to give the Nations a bash for this evening but there's too much to learn for the Manu event that I'll have to compromise outright pace (unless it comes naturally) and just use the car to its best like I did back on Catalunya.

I'm still B rated but about to tick over to A this weekend. I feel that just understanding how to get the most out of the car on certain key corners that YOU can achieve will easily provide a race win potential in B rated line-ups. That's my best advice in the form of this post. Keep practicing to get your race times on 30's even on hard tyres, then work on consistency.

Similar TT time and same tyre lengths for me but from the Nissan camp (using the r34 gt500 again cos I'm that mental!).
My race pace in the race itself was 31/32's on hard, optimal 30's on the mediums.

One thing I noticed is that it's better to run cleanly throughout then try to gain a second or two with risks hitting walls and whatnot.
I still need to give the Nations a bash for this evening but there's too much to learn for the Manu event that I'll have to compromise outright pace (unless it comes naturally) and just use the car to its best like I did back on Catalunya.

I'm still B rated but about to tick over to A this weekend. I feel that just understanding how to get the most out of the car on certain key corners that YOU can achieve will easily provide a race win potential in B rated line-ups. That's my best advice in the form of this post. Keep practicing to get your race times on 30's even on hard tyres, then work on consistency.
Thanks for that! Yeah I reckon I can get into 30/31 by Friday. I did do a 3.32 on the hard on my last lap. I just need to keep running laps and learning the tyre grip.
Yeah I’m thinking a average 30\31 could give you a win in B rank. All depends on how many people practice over the next few days. Plus with rage quitters a good result very possible.

As for Nations I was going to skip this event but after my issues at Fuji I need to run it. Done no practice but short track should be easy to pick up.

You’re a bit ahead of this mid-B in TT, but race pace is pretty similar on both compounds, within a sec. I’m too wary of the barriers to really push, especially the start of the lap.

Can do 4 medium with both Astons but will likely chicken out in the race. The wear gauge gets a bit sketchy, almost to full red. With such a long lap, hopefully people haven’t practised much and will be fooled at the end of lap 3.

Been a wee while. But it's always interesting and informative reading the comments.

Really impressed that you're able to get 4 laps out of the medium tyres. I think my driving style isn't the most tyre friendly. Did one test run, by lap 4 on the medium tyres, I was losing major time through the final sector cause my left front was all but dead.

Probably a bit of the pace for my DR. But 4 laps on the hards, running 30/31's. The mediums can just about get 28/29's. Total race time was 25 minutes roughly.

You’re a bit ahead of this mid-B in TT, but race pace is pretty similar on both compounds, within a sec. I’m too wary of the barriers to really push, especially the start of the lap.

Can do 4 medium with both Astons but will likely chicken out in the race. The wear gauge gets a bit sketchy, almost to full red. With such a long lap, hopefully people haven’t practised much and will be fooled at the end of lap 3.
Im at a low B now so i get paired with horibble BB & BC drivers, so i may drop down to C before this weeks series races as they are brutally bad drivers... I will be running me Beetle in Manu race but been thinking of using the gti roadster for it, im still debating because speed may not be the deciding factor in Croix, just not taking damage may be the x-factor.. I may skip nations but we will see closer to weekend on that one

My time trial best is a 3:24.0 with the DBR9. I just did another 1v1 practice race against the AI and was doing 3:29s on the Mediums and 3:30s on the Hards, with a total race time of 24:52 going 4M/3H.

From practicing for this, I'm getting the impression this race may be best treated a little bit like the Nordschleife due to how long the track is and how deceptively technical it can be to get the lines right. It'll definitely be a lot easier to make passes than on the Nordschleife, but dialling it back a little bit for survival's sake might be worth it. I will not be surprised if there are plenty of major mistakes being made on Friday as people misjudge braking points or attempt to carry too much speed into some of the corners. The double right-hander at the end of sector 2 and the right-hander at the end of the penultimate sector definitely come to mind. I know I've had my fair share of gravel baths or clashes with Barry R from those whilst learning the track. :lol:

My main concern right now is braking distances as the DBR9 feels pretty poor in that respect. From replays it looks like people are braking at around the 125m mark at places like turns 2 and 3, but if I don't brake at the 150m board I'm going straight into the wall or completely missing the turn. Same with the left-hander after the bridge. I'm a bit scared someone's going to get caught out/think I'm trying to brake check them and go right up the back of me...

Wait.... you get to choose a GR3 car differently for each individual race IF available for a given manu, say Subaru? Tell me that's not true

Last edited:
Wait.... you get to choose a GR3 car differently for each individual race IF available for a given manu, say Subaru? Tell me that's not true
It is true... You just need to own the car and it will be available for selection.
I used either the GT-R or the Silvia for the Gr4 events (as most Nissan drivers).
Was considering using the Super Silhouette here, but while OK for TT and good tire wear, I fear its turbo lag will be too much to handle in race condition, so will stick with the GT-R.

Can I ask what your average pace is round here please to anyone that knows it?
DR B, best TT is 1:25.1. The leaderboard has several 'rivals' in the 1:24 so I fear that won't quite cut it, and it is likely I won't even be pulling better than 1:26 on the race day.
But that is not the biggest issue - I did 2 lobby test races yesterday, my pace wasn't great (1:32 or 1:33 as an average) and very inconsistent. Between the track and the tire wear, I had trouble to chain clean laps. Also could only do 3 good laps on mediums. Will need to practice more tonight.

And my biggest concern - at the start of both lobby race, I got smashed into the wall at the first right corner, with engine failure as a result.
Wasn't on purpose, but I am now worried the same will happen on race day...

Of course. That's why I chose Aston, I didn't really like the Vantage but can use the DBR9 instead.

My time trial best is a 3:24.0 with the DBR9. I just did another 1v1 practice race against the AI and was doing 3:29s on the Mediums and 3:30s on the Hards, with a total race time of 24:52 going 4M/3H.

From practicing for this, I'm getting the impression this race may be best treated a little bit like the Nordschleife due to how long the track is and how deceptively technical it can be to get the lines right. It'll definitely be a lot easier to make passes than on the Nordschleife, but dialling it back a little bit for survival's sake might be worth it. I will not be surprised if there are plenty of major mistakes being made on Friday as people misjudge braking points or attempt to carry too much speed into some of the corners. The double right-hander at the end of sector 2 and the right-hander at the end of the penultimate sector definitely come to mind. I know I've had my fair share of gravel baths or clashes with Barry R from those whilst learning the track. :lol:

My main concern right now is braking distances as the DBR9 feels pretty poor in that respect. From replays it looks like people are braking at around the 125m mark at places like turns 2 and 3, but if I don't brake at the 150m board I'm going straight into the wall or completely missing the turn. Same with the left-hander after the bridge. I'm a bit scared someone's going to get caught out/think I'm trying to brake check them and go right up the back of me...
Im thinking that sticking to my current race pace might be the best option in this race. I can get round in the 32/33 without making too many errors. Damage will be the big factor in this race. I’ve picked up bumper and wheel damage by scrapping the barrier by 1mm.
Yeah the double right hander is tricky as you need to get as far left possible but still have the speed to take into the turn. Also those two double left 90 corners, the first 90 is awkward for the braking zone. I end up braking way to early and then go through the corner way to slow.

KCR
DR B, best TT is 1:25.1. The leaderboard has several 'rivals' in the 1:24 so I fear that won't quite cut it, and it is likely I won't even be pulling better than 1:26 on the race day.
But that is not the biggest issue - I did 2 lobby test races yesterday, my pace wasn't great (1:32 or 1:33 as an average) and very inconsistent. Between the track and the tire wear, I had trouble to chain clean laps. Also could only do 3 good laps on mediums. Will need to practice more tonight.

And my biggest concern - at the start of both lobby race, I got smashed into the wall at the first right corner, with engine failure as a result.
Wasn't on purpose, but I am now worried the same will happen on race day...
Yeah ive done a few online lobbies and T2, T3 and T5 seem to be crash zones for others to just punt you of the track on the open lap. If you can avoid these corners without damage or been punted off you should potentially get a good result, I hope.

Watch out for the pit exit! I was going down the straight right up against the pit wall and as I was coming close to the pit exit another car left the pit lane and I slammed straight into them. They was nothing I could do as I was too close.

all nice, that sim-racing on virtual tracks, but nothing beats real cars on real tracks.

Was at the real Ring today:
1663252946779.png

1663252964206.png

1663252985577.png

1663253000732.png

bought myself a little souvenir there , just to piss off everybody at the M-event and my entire homecountry of Max-fans :D :

1663253060740.png

Good luck to you all in the coming races, especially Seth Logan! I am sure you will be at your usual high level soon!

Last edited:
Well I've managed to get a good TT time after doing 2 test races yesterday and learning how to keep speed through corners with crap tyres and fuel weight.

Now my TT time is 1:24.1xx which sits around 450th position or there abouts.

The car I'm using is once again this beast:
gt500 99.png

Best race lap was 1:28 on mediums, was pushing for a better time to only crash and don't have enough time to go again. (Work and life gets in the way as usual).

So my conclusion is the same that ANY mistakes will be painful in the race. I'll be going for speed unless I'm in a comfortable split, not to mention strategy can always win or lose this race.

Why this R34 over the GTR? This one when tamed can be more enjoyable to drive with good stability, also the top speed in TT (that I've had) is 173mph. The GTR is barely at 170mph by the same point, but not had the time to test it because of lack of testing time as mentioned.

Nations, well, I'll worry about that Saturday! 😂 Have a good race tomorrow everyone!

Good luck to you all in the coming races, especially Seth Logan! I am sure you will be at your usual high level soon!
You are to kind sir. I am only a mid B level driver. Probably for a looong time to come.

We need to start practice rounds again together. Those were fun.

KCR
It is true... You just need to own the car and it will be available for selection.
I used either the GT-R or the Silvia for the Gr4 events (as most Nissan drivers).
Was considering using the Super Silhouette here, but while OK for TT and good tire wear, I fear its turbo lag will be too much to handle in race condition, so will stick with the GT-R.
No way... to me that seems unfair! But now I get why Subaru is so overcrowded in the races: they get to choose between two very diverse cars in Gr. 3. Oh... and what about McLaren! Do they have the choice between 650 killmonger and F1? That's unbelievable. And why then aren't more people picking Alfa Romeo with 2 excellent group 4 cars?

Last edited:
No way... to me that seems unfair! But now I get why Subaru is so overcrowded in the races: they get to choose between two very diverse cars in Gr. 3. Oh... and what about McLaren! Do they have the choice between 650 killmonger and F1? That's unbelievable. And why then aren't more people picking Alfa Romeo with 2 excellent group 4 cars?
BMW get four Gr3 cars to pick from. Then again, that does also mean you get the Gr4 M4.

People have been locked into their choice since the start of season 1. The handling update that made the MRs much better came a lot later (as did the 155 dominance). I suspect a lot of people will consider switching to Alfa for season 3.

Don’t see what’s unfair, you can use any eligible car from your chosen manufacturer, that’s the whole point of aligning yourself with one. Some have more options than others but that was clear from the start (Nissan did get an extra Skyline from the updates and Subaru got the BRZ).

Last edited:
Just seems to be one of those keep it clean and you’ll do well races.

1837E979-49E8-42E7-A624-DA5BA550963F.jpeg

Qualified 2nd and finished 2nd. Spent the whole race on my own so don’t know what it’s like having to race in a pack around here. Time gaps between positions were huge so just shows either most people made mistakes or just hadn’t practiced enough. I couldn’t get 4 laps out of mediums so did 3M/4H. My pace isn’t great but got a good result.

55E9E47C-369B-44BA-B7CB-EF985174FE75.jpeg

Tale of 2 races. As it is probably my last Manufacturer round for the season and it's at a track I like I was hoping to do well. Qualified p6, a scant 0.003 behind @pennanton. But that was sort of it from there. I accidentally rear ended him early in lap 1, but he seemed to be fine and still on track. I Ended up with a reasonably deserved 2 second penalty for it though. Was climbing back through the field and was directly behind @TheWeapon874 (I think) when he slid into the barrier on bridge entry, and I was collateral damage. Not his fault, just bad luck. Bit of a mess after that as well and after getting punted to oblivion last lap I crawled home p12.

But I felt I had so much speed so ran again. Qualified p2. But the lobby hung after qualifying, so the polesitter left and I moved up. Drove a solid enough race. For some reason I was massively faster in the last section than the guy behind me, and on lap 3 he binned it trying to keep up there. I had a 2 second lead heading into lap 6 when I slid onto the grass at one point and lost it all, but stayed solid after that and converted it to a win. Only by 1 second as I never really got breathing room, but it was great. 212 points as a personal high and a great way to quit out the season for me.

Good luck out there.

Tale of 2 races. As it is probably my last Manufacturer round for the season and it's at a track I like I was hoping to do well. Qualified p6, a scant 0.003 behind @pennanton. But that was sort of it from there. I accidentally rear ended him early in lap 1, but he seemed to be fine and still on track. I Ended up with a reasonably deserved 2 second penalty for it though. Was climbing back through the field and was directly behind @TheWeapon874 (I think) when he slid into the barrier on bridge entry, and I was collateral damage. Not his fault, just bad luck. Bit of a mess after that as well and after getting punted to oblivion last lap I crawled home p12.

But I felt I had so much speed so ran again. Qualified p2. But the lobby hung after qualifying, so the polesitter left and I moved up. Drove a solid enough race. For some reason I was massively faster in the last section than the guy behind me, and on lap 3 he binned it trying to keep up there. I had a 2 second lead heading into lap 6 when I slid onto the grass at one point and lost it all, but stayed solid after that and converted it to a win. Only by 1 second as I never really got breathing room, but it was great. 212 points as a personal high and a great way to quit out the season for me.

Good luck out there.

Jeez the bloke in the silver 911. He started on hards and seemed to want to do everything he could to stop medium starters getting passed, just caused mayhem. Nearly binned me while I was overtaking him on the left you can consider T1. I should have saved the replay but the only way we could have made contact is if he wanted to wall me or at least push my car off balance. Thankfully a bit of divine intervention arrived and pit released him into the path of someone else sending him down the order.

212 points is a great return in our region, no reason to think you won't see more of it.

Jeez the bloke in the silver 911. He started on hards and seemed to want to do everything he could to stop medium starters getting passed, just caused mayhem. Nearly binned me while I was overtaking him on the left you can consider T1. I should have saved the replay but the only way we could have made contact is if he wanted to wall me or at least push my car off balance. Thankfully a bit of divine intervention arrived and pit released him into the path of someone else sending him down the order.

212 points is a great return in our region, no reason to think you won't see more of it.
That first lap was total carnage and chaos. I couldn't see far enough ahead to make out who was plugging it up but the leader was gone and the rest of us were trying to find a way to keep it on track. Great result in your second slot as well.

I’m so slow but that sounds like it might be an advantage here. Start at the back and pick through the carnage of the first few corners. Just keep it on track and should get a half decent result.

Manufacturers GT2 Asia-Oceania slot 3
Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 '13

I embarrassed myself in the qualif, binning all laps - so started P12 on hard for a 4H/3M.

I feared T2 (first hard right) would be chaos, and it was - a Jaguar didn't bother to brake, passed me at full speed and took out the 2 cars in front of me. Miraculously got out of that nightmare unscathed - P10.

Then between people binning and pitting I found myself P7 at lap 5, with P6 just a few seconds ahead. We then had a good battle for 2 laps, I finally managed to overtake and finished P6.

Considering how poorly I drover this feel like a good result, and the last 2 laps were good fun - so fairly satisfied.

As other said - very much a race to do on the safe side to try to take advantage of others' mistakes.

Back