Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,209 comments
Really enjoying the Living Legend race.

I didn't enjoy the rolling start where I bounced off the limiter in gears 1 and 2 because they are totally useless.

Why couldn't they just default the launch to 3rd?

I'm about a second or two quicker now with MT in the LL, but I don't know if I dare try it tonight. Stuck at work so will only be able to enter the final 2 slots, and I'm still making the odd error.

Anyone else think the qualifying before these races needs revamped? Currently, everyone goes out at the same time. This causes a lot of traffic. There is a benefit to going out asap as you could potentially get an extra lap in before the time expires. There is also tire wear involved. I would agree this is quite realistic, but it's not ideal.
My opinion on it is that the issue is that 5 mins to qualify is too short. Everyone is racing out to get some runs on the board because on some tracks you get time to put in 1 maybe 2 good laps which is why everyone is crammed together. During the regular season where there was more time in quali I didnt find it too bad as it gived everyone time to spread out and get space.

Are they still doing like 10 different time slots for each FIA race? If so, how is it affecting the player turnout and competition in each lobby?
Yeah, this makes sense. BUT it highlights the problem with running 10 slots in Oceania where many (almost all) have less than a full grid. It shouldn’t be possible to get fewer points for finishing third in a full top split than for finishing last by a full minute in a 7 car top split.
Honestly though, I am glad that they added more time slots. It gives people more flexibility. Everyone has lives and other stuff they have to do. For me with the extra slots at least I can get a race in after I finish work or before a nightshift. I work 12 hour shifts so before if there was an event on a day I was working I would miss every time slot.

Also does mean that if you are an innocent party and get shunted into a wall, you'll get hammered with an even stronger penalty now.
Yep as always its the regular 99% of the player base that get punished for what the top split 1%ers do!

Honestly annoys me that people have to find exploits like the wall riding at High Speed Ring, Nations race today and obviously the Manus race on the weekend.

Also does mean that if you are an innocent party and get shunted into a wall, you'll get hammered with an even stronger penalty now.
Wall penalties now kill your race on this. So did a few laps today and I clipped the wall and ended up with 10 seconds worth of penalties. As the penalty line is at the start of the long straight you lose way more than 10 seconds.

——————

As for todays Nations race it was actually petty fun. I did some practice laps over the weekend and found the car not so great to drive but last night I managed to find a way to drive the car.

Ended up again in a mix DR A & B lobby again. Obviously not many doing this round.
Quali - 1.43.5 was my time for a P9 start.

Race - opted for mediums to start. Was considering doing a 2 stop as I found the softs are about 1 seconds quicker for me. Pit lane loss isnt that bad either so it’s an option. Race starts and I max out the revs due to the awkward gearing so I’m slow off the line. P10 get close and decides to send it up the inside into T1. As expected we crash. They somehow get lucky and lose 1/2 places yet I fall to dead last 8 seconds behind. A few people quit in the first 4/5 laps so upto P13 now. Manage to make up the 8 seconds loss and catch up to the cars ahead by lap 7. Pit stops start to happen an I decide to run longer on mediums till lap 9 as I could see I was still going quicker than the people had stop. Going longer I hoped the fresher softs will allow me to push harder on the last few laps when the others lose grip. I exit the pits and manage to just get ahead of P10, so I managed to jump 4 cars. I get stuck behind P8 for a lap and I knew it was critical to get pass asap as the tyres die quickly when following the ahead. Manage to get a good exit on the long straight and pass in the braking zone. Catch P7 and this time it was a little easier as they made a mistake in S1 which allowed me to pass on the long straight. Last two laps and P6 was only 2 seconds ahead. I close up but then make a mistake on the final corner and drift so that gap extends back to w seconds, then my luck turns again. Going through S1 I could tell the tyre had gone on P6 and in S3 they spin off. Managed to go from P16 up to P6. Really fun race that, could have made got a P3/P4 if it wasn’t for the L1 issue, but I’ll take a P6 and 108 points.

Might race again tonight on my alt account but I’ll see.

Why does the 917LL drive like a dump truck? Feels like you must put the car in a 4 wheel slide to make it actually turn. Might be worth starting this race from the back to avoid Turn 1 calamity. I don't think my 1:41.1 will put me up front in an A lobby.

Why does the 917LL drive like a dump truck? Feels like you must put the car in a 4 wheel slide to make it actually turn. Might be worth starting this race from the back to avoid Turn 1 calamity. I don't think my 1:41.1 will put me up front in an A lobby.
It probably will, polesitter in my lobby did a 1.41.0 something. And my DR is around 45K maybe?

Didn't really practice that much for this race (6 or 7 laps). Considering that my race pace wasn't too bad. Had maybe 5 sec worth of mistakes.

But yeah quali was not that good, only a 1.42.1, and that put me into 12th/14. I felt like maybe P10 was possible but that's it. Just didn't have good quali pace with this car. 917 LL understeers surprisingly much for an lightweight MR with gr3 esque aero.

Race result was okay considering my general pace, took advantage of others mistakes. Kinda fell into a weird empty space again, where I quite didn't have the pace to challenge front 6 or 7, but yet drivers behind me could not keep up. P8 was max I think, plus I also need to consider that 2 drivers ahead of me spun/rage quit.

P5 would have been needed to break 170 pts, so yeah not going again for this race, since my best score is 169 from last week and only one counts for the series. Plus didn't particularly enjoy how much understeer this car has. At least they've fixed the snap this car used to have in hairpins/low gears so that's good. Might use it again at Sardegna WTC800 in the future. But I feel like that's maybe a 2 stopper then 😅

Not sure if I participate next week, probably not. A damn road car hybrid with poor sounds and even worse no gear changes, yeah no thanks 🤦

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_204550243_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230201_204550243_HDR.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Want it to turn? Brush the inside curb at the first part of the chicane and don't touch the throttle when you do so. It won't stop turning until you're practically facing the other way! :lol:

Did one of these on the #1 account. Wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Started P4. I think I was one of three people who started on RMs, so it was a lot of trying to fend off those behind while those in front drove away. Eventually, I messed up and clipped Barry R getting a 3.0s pen (I thought I only hit it once but maybe the car bounced off and hit it again). Just messing up I lost like three places and then serving the pen was painful; it dropped me to last.

From there it was just lapping. Made some time on the guys ahead but they were too far up. Got the delta from 13 sec to 9, but then back to 12 after I had a bit of a moment before that back straight on the last lap. Ended up finishing P7. Not a great result.

Maybe I'll do another one later but not really chomping at the bit like some of the others.

It’s races like that for which I’m still happily running TC1. I know I’m losing tenths on many corners but it saves me the big disaster spin, especially with the wall penalties.

Qualified 8th but that was misleading, I was first out and clearly holding people up the whole time. Way too cautious/gentlemanly on lap 1 and dropped to P12. Made my way back up a few places just by not hitting the wall and getting penalized, though I did get dinged for 2 seconds when someone hit me on a double rebound.

Thought I’d have some space to use the softs in stint 2 but came out behind a group of mediums. Took a few laps to clear, by the time I was free the gap ahead was too big even with a 1s per lap advantage. Finished P8, 15 point improvement over last week.

C085AF4A-7098-4D96-BB76-CFC7C39993A7.jpeg

I must be one of the few actually looking forward to the Fit race next week :lol:

Did my first race with my new B rating,Qual 5th,finished 5th.
But i should have finished higher up,came out of the pits and approaching the fast left hander and got absolutely creamed,spun sideways into the wall,complete stop,dropped to 9th,came back best i could for 5th.
The yo-yo who took me out got an 8 second penalty which i laughed about as i passed him.
Might have to give this another run or two later tonight.:crazy:

A bit of a disaster from start to finish.
Messed up qualy. Got a penalty staight away out of the pits as the meagre speed wasn't enough to coax out the inbuilt understeer the game has. I went back in and came out right as the group were coming around. So I was left with a 1 lap blast. I was doing well until the uphill after the back straight. I must have glanced the sticky out kerb slightly as I rebounded off and into the far wall. 3 seconds to add to the time spent crashing. Qualified DFL 8 secs behind.:banghead:
This helped me avoid the idiots on lap 1 especially as I started mid way through the corner and was a second down before the start line. By the end of the lap I was P11 and fighting with a Spaniard and Portuguese driver. Eventually their comfort told and they both got through before the end of my stint.
235d5403050e6401c546da3961fedcda_photo.webp

I came in on lap 8 for new rubber. I came out ahead of the Spaniard again and was happy on my softs until the car gave up on turning. He was being very clean though which is a nice change as I am usually wary around them. Kudos to him. However the car decided to overturn on the first part of the chicane and I held it but ran wide. Then on acceleration despite the 3rd gear and relatively straight pointing the car went to the barrier. Damage and 3 seconds to me again as the car tried the old sticky barrier trick. This put me to last but 1 and miles off the car ahead. A disappointing end. Crossed the line P13 and gained 1 as the Portuguese driver from earlier got a tyre penalty, so P12 and no new points. My DR is quickly slipping towards DR C so not surprised with the low points in this lobby.

Well,race 2 i screwed up in Qual,took a.5 penalty for cutting things to close which basically messes up any chance for a good time.
Started race in 12th and even with a 3 sec penalty for losing control and bouncing off a mountain i managed a 3rd place finish.
I'll take it and call it a night. :cheers:

Had way more fun and ran a LOT better than I thought I would at Trial Mountain in the Porsche. Started in my customary mid-pack position of Q8, ran the 8M/7S strategy and kept it on the road to bring it home in P5. Mixed GT2 lobby of mostly B/S and a couple A/S worth 124 points for the win, and 106(?) for 5th. This was the 18:00 North American slot.

My first slot in GT 1 was on my alt and I’m B/S currently due to last week’s B race so my lobby only had 12 start and mix of A/S thru B/B in the group.
Got an ok run on my second Q lap and started p4. Ran med tires first and only did 7 laps then went to soft for 8.

Overall it was a good race with mostly clean driving around me. Dropped as low as p7 or so but once on softs, I made up places to have p4 with a gap for a last few laps. Softs don’t like 8 laps and I had to baby them in on the second half of the final lap. Don’t try this 😜. Not recommended.
In this lobby I got fast lap a few laps into my softs and it stuck until the end. I was shocked as it was only 1:42:2 which was my best pace in practice so I think the leaders didn’t need to push pace too much since they were in front to start and stayed there all race long.

Got in the next slot on my main account and had lots of traffic on Q laps. Didn’t fare well and started p11 with a Q time about 1-1/2 seconds of my pace. Lobby was full and Egghaus was in there too.
I started on med tire again and first lap was lots of corrections by drivers and actually pretty clean where I was.
Worked my way up to p8 or so by lap 8 and switched to soft. Made a few places and finished p6 with a 3-4 second gap behind.

First race was 133 points for p4 and this final race was good for 145 points for p6.

I definitely do well with this track and that made these races quite fun.

Now back to dropping Q time in B race and get on with the dailies.

Not sure if I participate next week, probably not. A damn road car hybrid with poor sounds and even worse no gear changes, yeah no thanks 🤦
It has gear changes. My issue is the stupid battery, I can't keep it charged for more than 3 laps.

Last edited:
Yeah, this makes sense. BUT it highlights the problem with running 10 slots in Oceania where many (almost all) have less than a full grid. It shouldn’t be possible to get fewer points for finishing third in a full top split than for finishing last by a full minute in a 7 car top split.

PD have to go back to fewer slots in Oceania and cut the ones in work/school hours of a weekday.
Yeah, the only reason for having 10 slots that makes sense to me is that PD are testing how many people turn up to race in different slot times for these exhibition seasons.

Whether they use that data for the official season later this year I don't know. Having slot times early afternoon on a weekday would rule me out, I know that much...

With more and more evidence pouring in of a stellar VR implementation in GT7, I am really looking forward to making time in my busy schedule to get back to racing in these championships. Come 22 Feb, it's good-bye to WRC Generations, ACC, Dakar Desert Rally, and good-bye to my Rift S and underpowered PC.

And hello to GT7 in VR. I don't see myself playing anything else this year.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I definitely appreciate having more slots available to choose from, especially when my schedule is busy.
same here. I Work early morning, evening or night shifts so for me it is more oppertunity to be able to participate. the more spread out during a day the better.

earlier the last oppertunity to race was 22.20 hrs local time. With my shift ending at 22.00 hrs that left very little margin. With the current times i am even able to do a race before going on duty.

Back