Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,201 comments
Is it even worth considering one of the non-CLK options for the Gr2 Nations? I've used the newer GTR a lot on that track for credit grinding, very comfortable with it.
I'm getting the impression picking something else is likely just handicapping yourself. Might end up skipping this one as a result.

I'm just not clicking with the CLK at all in free practice and I'm not keen on racing in a car I don't own since I can't try it in race conditions to see how it will play out before doing the real thing.

So far I'm best in free practice with the newer NSX, but I fear using that will just be a repeat of going with anything other than the Z '23 in the earlier round at Fuji. It feels good through the twisty bits but I reckon it's just going to get held up there, then get mugged over and over down the straights as it tops out around 274kph vs the CLKs 291kph.

Maybe the other Gr.2 cars will fare better, but the number of CLKs on the leaderboard doesn't give me much confidence of that either.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I love Gr.2 but wouldn't want to hire the CLK. (Livery reasons)
I didn't want to say it but that is also a factor in my unwillingness to rent a CLK. :lol:

That and I've always had a habit of physically leaning to the side as I turn with my wheel on sharp bends. The CLKs VR cockpit area seems smaller than other cars because the way I lean right exiting the chicane at the end of sector 1 often makes the screen fade to the green wireframe for going too far. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, it's possible I'm just being overly pessimistic. The NSX (at least) seems to be able to brake pretty damn late so maybe it could fight with a CLK. I'm just not comfortable with the thought of having to race that aggressively for half an hour!

That's a shame. I love Gr.2 but wouldn't want to hire the CLK. (Livery reasons)
I have a CLK but it's on my backup account that I don't use anymore, it's not even linked to the PS5 at the moment.
Not sure it's worth the hassle, even for my lovely Red Pig.

I LOVE the GR.2 cars, and I love out running the CLK when given the chance. But, I think its going to be a tall order for this race. My fastest lap so far is a 1:31.334 in the NISMO. But from what I've seen with the CLK's so far, is its just so much easier for them to rebound from a mistake given the straightaway speed they possess. I have been experimenting with the '08 cars and actually have gotten to the brutally fast left hander about 3 tenths faster then the NISMO in the '08 NSX, but I give it all back and then sum having to slow down so much more than the '16 cars for it. I tried the CLK myself, but could only manage a 131.5 in it.

So far I'm leaning towards either being behind the wheel of the '16 RCF or the '16 GTR currently.

Here's the onboard from my best lap so far:

Ah I see the Mercedes CLK is the fastest car for Nations tomorrow. I’ll go buy it now from the legendary dealership………oh wait…it’s not available to buy… great!

Im mean seriously why do PD do this? Put races on where you can’t even buy the car. I know you can rent the car which is what I will do but I can’t perform any practice races.

Not really looking forward to this tomorrow. Ok track for me but think I’d prefer the GT500 Spec cars

Had a bit more test time and there really is
no choice but the CLK - over 1.5s faster for me than anything else, and that’s with some very scruffy laps.

Need to figure out the downforce now, and remember the settings as I’ll be driving a rental in the race.

I think I set the downforce to all the way up in front (500-something) and just kept lowering the rear (700-something) until PP reached its highest. I actually found the car to feel quite well planted like this. I'm not sure if this is "optimal", but it was the first thing I set it to and it seems to feel good to me.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's GTWS, Gr2 in Sardegna, the AMG CLK is the fastest and it would have been opportune for PDi to have renewed the car on the stand. The use of cars from our garage is required, I didn't buy it when it appeared, and PDi doesn't want to sell cars.

Back to Manu real quick. I'm so happy with my 300 score at Spa that I decided to record and edit the race. That way, when my great great great great grandchildren ask a future AI "What did my ancestors did of relevance?" The AI can send them to this post.
You hear that, future AI? :lol:

Anyway, for current time humans, here's my edited race :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Anyone know the strat for Nations tomorrow in the CLK?

I see we have high tyre wear x8 so assume mediums last what 4/5 laps? Fuel is x2 so assume we don’t need to fuel save either?

Tomorrow's GTWS, Gr2 in Sardegna, the AMG CLK is the fastest and it would have been opportune for PDi to have renewed the car on the stand. The use of cars from our garage is required, I didn't buy it when it appeared, and PDi doesn't want to sell cars.

You can rent it

For Gr2 Sardegna tomorrow, I played with downforce on CLK and unfortunately my experiment was inconclusive. I tried the following:
1. Max rear and minimal front
2. Minimal rear and minimal front
3. Minimal rear and max front
4. Max rear and max front

And I clocked within 0.1 seconds of 1:33.2xx with all four settings. I am C/S rated and I might not be consistent enough.

Does anyone know which downforce setting results in maximum tire life on this track? I am thinking to simply go with the downforce setting that will give me maximum tire life. Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hope so, but what it says in the details, car needed: garage car
What it says on the news page (https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_4537804.html):

Round 4: 15 March 2023
 - Car Used: Garage Car, Event-Specified Car
 - Category: Gr.2

So you can use a car from your garage or rent one, as in the rally round 2. For round 1 at Fuji you could only rent the cars as they had specific tuning, so it said "event-specified car" only.

For the manufacturers cup races it says "garage car" as you use either one you've bought or the sponsor car you recieve when you sign a contract.

Great race! I didn't even know the track before starting the warm up, so my intention was just to take part in the first slot and gain the position of the ragequiters. Picked the CLK just because, thanks to this thread, I had a clue about how many laps its tyres last.

Qualified 3rd in my last attempt (the only one I didn't encounter traffic: it was a chaotic qualification).

I decide to start on hards, since I don't want to waste mediums when I'm still learning the track. I drop to 7th due to having hards and always avoiding battles.

I pit for mediums for the last 9 laps and return to track 7th, with one GT-R and one CLK battling just in front of me. I join the battle for a while until the GT-R (also on mediums) managed to scape.

I switch positions with the CLK several times until he tries to pit me on the straight. Then we keep switching positions, but I only am brave enough to pass him at the exit of some turns when he makes mistakes. He makes a huge one on lap 18 and I think the battle is over... But I also fail in T14 and he passes me.

I pass him again on lap 19 exiting T5, but he divebombs me in T9 (and I'm too mild) and passes.

So I cross the line 7th and promote to 6th thanks to one Lexus not using both tyres. I think I've failed not beating the other CLK on hards, but I'm really happy with the overall performance, specially not knowing the track and with zero experience using Gr.2 cars.

And the best part: I didn't spin!!! For 20 laps with TCS off! I was sure I was going to spin trying to exit too fast from a slow turn.

Last edited:
For Gr2 Sardegna tomorrow, I played with downforce on CLK and unfortunately my experiment was inconclusive. I tried the following:
1. Max rear and minimal front
2. Minimal rear and minimal front
3. Minimal rear and max front
4. Max rear and max front

And I clocked within 0.1 seconds of 1:33.2xx with all four settings. I am C/S rated and I might not be consistent enough.

Does anyone know which downforce setting results in maximum tire life on this track? I am thinking to simply go with the downforce setting that will give me maximum tire life. Thank you in advance. :)

If it helps, I did some more experimenting and maanged to drop my previous best lap from a 1:31.6 to a 1:31.3 using max downforce in front (600 I think) and rear right in the middle at 775. With max rear I found the car understeering slightly and with it too low the back end would slide more on corner exit, so right in the middle seemed to work best for me.

If it helps, I did some more experimenting and maanged to drop my previous best lap from a 1:31.6 to a 1:31.3 using max downforce in front (600 I think) and rear right in the middle at 775. With max rear I found the car understeering slightly and with it too low the back end would slide more on corner exit, so right in the middle seemed to work best for me.
In terms of 1 lap i have identic time to yours, stock downforce i can hit 1.31.7 and using VR...,if i have time to pratice i´ll give it a go with your recommendations to see if i can improve, if not i´ll just race with stock values, will be my first VR race in sport mode, only did some races/pratice in lobbys hope it goes well :D.

I ended up trying Nations, all I did was waste an hour. This combo is just not my thing. I couldn't find any pace here whatsoever regardless of car, so ended up going in the NSX '16 simply because I set my fastest lap in it. How people can make the CLK do that kind of lap time is beyond me, I just don't get the car.

After qualifying dead last in a much stronger lobby than I normally get matched with, I watched the swarm of CLKs disappear as the race started. A Belgian took several people out at turn 1 by braking ridiculously late, so I thought maybe I could briefly move up some positions but then made a big mistake of my own. The combination of cold Hards and taking a much tighter line than I normally would to avoid those recovering led me to accidentally putting down too much power and I spun it.

The Belgian wasn't done though. After getting off the gravel, apparently I'd also done something wrong and needed to be shoved off right after I had recovered. He then immediately quit. I can't think how to describe this other than a child throwing a tantrum in an A+/S lobby.

The rest of the race was then me just lapping at the back, gradually falling further and further behind with a couple extra mistakes in the mix to where I almost didn't finish the race within the countdown that starts after someone gets the chequered flag. I'm not going to bother linking the full race video, it really was that bad. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Did today's Nations Cup round - had insane results. Accidentally started on mediums instead of hards, but I think it was a blessing in disguise. I qualified for 14th, and drove until I was no longer comfortable driving on the mediums, at which point I pitted for hards. Didn't need to take on any fuel whatsoever. Ultimately, I got a clean P5! And although I got a three-star ticket out of it rather than a higher-tier one, the ticket did net me 100k credits, so that's splendid.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the settings, I just set both the front and rear downforce to minimum on the CLK-LM that I used. Seems to be best for such a course that's as high-speed as this one.

Last edited:
First attempt - start P4 in the CLK. Was on for a front row but spun through the evil left hander near the end of the lap. Very messy first couple of laps, contact everywhere, dropped to P6/7.

Back up to P4 by lap 4 and chasing down P3, think they were on hards to my mediums. Unfortunately I spun it again at the same fast left, ended up facing the wrong way. Took an age getting it turned, ended up DFL and quit out of frustration. Maybe one more attempt in the final slot.

Pretty decent Nations Cup combo imo, CLK-LM at Sardegna A. I only practiced for 15 minutes, and surprisingly found getting myself up to pace quite quickly. I guess because I used to do a lot of WTC800 races at Sardegna in the CLK-LM. Quali went well, P3 with a 1.31.8, 2 tenths better than my practice time. I decided to play it safe to avoid too much battling in the race and preserve track position, which is why I started the race on mediums.

The race then, T1 immediately the Swede ahead of me braked a bit too early abd I snuck past him on the inside for P2. Was in a good position, stahing around 0,7-1 sec behind the leader. But then lap 2 just after sector 1 ends, Swede got close to me, and outbraked himself and hit me in the rear, so I was sent to the wall. But luck in the bad luck, it was a corner where the wall leaned in the direction of the track, so I probably only lost 2-3 sec + temporary front and rear damage. Managed to just about only drop myself to P4, and then on the main straight the Swede served a deserved 4 sec penalty and apologized in chat, up to P3.

Kept myself there in P3 and pitted on lap 9 with the leading Spaniard, who I was 4 sec behind and who had also used mediums for stint 1. But surprisingly P2 South African did not pit, and a few nearby drivers behind me. Came out into a good gap with a few seconds behind and ahead, and settled into stint 2 with the hards. Then on lap 11 Two Brits and a Frenchmen switched to hards, who I knew were my nearest challengers. And the fast South African pitted on lap 12 for mediums. I only had a 4,5 sec lead to P4 behind me, so I knew I was in trouble.

P4 British driver passed me start of lap 15, I did not put up a fight into T1, since I noticed how much faster they were. I had a 6 sec gap behind and I knew it would be close, whether I could keep myself in P4. End of lap 17 before last turn, gap behind 3,7 seconds, it could get very close. But then the British driver behind made a mistake, and lost 8 seconds. After that an easy cruise for P4 and 149 pts. I guess the split wasn't the highest, I've had races where even a P6 gives over 150 pts 🤔 But anyway, I am quite pleased with the result and in with a shout for a TOP200 finishing position in this test season (224th before tonight, and my second best score is only 100).

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_214931128_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230315_214931128_HDR.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230315_215003441_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230315_215003441_HDR.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
Thought todays race was a little boring to be honest.

Picked the CLK as it was the obvious pick to get a result with it in a high B lobby. Strategy I was basically going in blind as I couldn’t buy the car to test with, so a few helpful hits from a few on here and a few streams helped me.

Race 1
Quali - I managed to stick it on P9 with a 1:32:6xx.
Race - So I went with hards to start with. T1 no issues but a few ahead had a little coming together and I was up to P6. Now heading into T4 (or T2 if you don’t count the little chicane after T1) this is where my race unfolded. So I brake I’m my normal position but the car behind on mediums braked later and gives a little tap but then going into next turn the car behind divebomb me. Sent me wide but then also pushed me off into the grass. I congratulated the driver for a great move in the race chat. After that issue I’m last and now just racing for strategy testing. L11 pit of hards to mediums and I end up P11.
In the race lobby I get a message from “my friend“ who punted me saying “Learn to Drive”. I had to laugh amd just replied with Hahahaha then they quit.
So checking the replay it’s looks like they brake late, let off the brakes and then just run the car into me. Have attached the video below so make your own mind up on that.

Race 2
So “my friend“ is back in the next race so I was expecting some more dirty driving from them.
Quali - my last flying lap I manage to stick to car on P6 with a 1:32:7
Race - this time I decided to go mediums at the start as i couldn’t be bothered having to try and defend from medium starters or have medium runners send it on me again. Get going and up to P5 by lap 3. ”My friend” was now behind me 2 seconds back so I knew I was ok for now, but a few mistakes from P4 allowed P6 to close up. I make an overtake on P4 but at the fast left hander (T6 before the back straight) the car I just past decided to re send it on me and pushed to pass. This then allowed “my friend” to overtake me and they also made the pass on P4 too. L9 I had tried to past P5 but unable to make a pass stick due to there poor driving, and on the end on L9 P4 & P5 pitted off mediums. I decide to do an overcut and stay out. I managed to overcut P5 but couldn’t overcut P4. “My friend“ now in P4 and me P5 was starting to pull away from me. I thought that was strange as we had similar pace. Anyway I was happy to take a P5 so I just played it safe while keeping the gap the behind to P6 around 2/3 seconds. Last few laps P6 bins it behind me and this gives me a 10 seconds gap now. Last 2 laps it starts to unfold for me a little. I start making a few errors by running wide on the grass or just touching the barrier. Last lap P6 now a second behind. Heading down the back straight the car in P6 dives for the corner and pushes to pass me. I roll over the line in P6. Should have been P5 really.
As I roll over the line i then start laughing. So “my friend” from race 1 who told me to ”Learn to Drive” had picked up a 1 minute penalty. So looks like they pitted and re fitted mediums. Looks like they need to learn to drive and also read the rules properly. Finished in P5 for a total of 110 points.

If I hadn’t of been taken out in Race 1 I would have walked away with about a P8 and only 70 odd points, but turns out I got a much better result from Race 2 with much higher points.

Race 1 Crash

Race 2 Race Replay

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT !!!!
AAAARGGH !!

Quitting out of the earlier slot dropped me into a much lower split, from a mixed B/C to full C. Quite simple therefore to stick the CLK on pole. Maxed out the downforce for this race, slightly slower on the straights but much more controllable through the S-bends.

Made it clean through turn 1 along with the Dutchman on P2 and we made a break for it, opened up a 10s gap on P3. Swapped the lead a couple of times, we both were making nervous mistakes in the lead. Was a great battle, sometimes you just instinctively know the other person is clean and can trust them to go wheel-to-wheel safely.

I know the accepted strategy is hard/medium but I do it the other way - more grip at the start, better feel on the hards at the end. Was within a sec going into the pit stop on lap 10. P1 pitted as well, I knew then that they'd been on hards and would have the advantage in stint 2. Was thinking about that and completely messed up - I hit the "do not change" option for tyres. Total disaster, had to do another lap on full red right-side tyres before pitting again.

Dropped to P3, so angry with myself. A few more mistakes and dropped to P4. Somehow almost set the fastest lap (which I already had) on the hards at the end - was just throwing the car through the bends. Get to the results screen - my Dutch rival had the 1 minute penalty - I would have won !!!

Image (1).jpeg

At least my car looked good.

Last edited:
I qualified 4th in the CLK, only did one out lap for sighting and then one shot and done and know the circuit well from grinding. The CLK is not a million miles away from the 787b so I felt right at home.

Then the good news - barriers were not lava, no penalties even for quite major shunts which was good because I was sent into them quite a bit, and broke too late a couple of times on the final 90 degree left before the straight when my tyres were fading. I found the tyres would hold on for ages, and then just...nope, don't want to steer.

The bad news - by lap 3 I had gone from 4th to last. I did consider giving up but I started on Hard tyres, and knew I was faster than most of the cars in front (and was even gaining time on the leader who was on Mediums as it turned out) and so began the recovery race. It took a long time to claw back places, and there were more shenanigans on the way. I was 8th on the final lap, two cars were fighting in front and took each other out on the final corner before the isn't straight and some of the cars who finished in front only used Medium tyres the whole race, so I finished.....4th! And so once again, even when all seems hopeless, never give up! It's always a surprise to see what you can pull back.

Back